The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 06:16 AM
Aristocracy

i read somewhere that she has already converted. planned, planned, planned...

Old 07-18-2010, 09:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Instruction in the RC faith would have been a slow process, by the Palace Chaplain, Father Penzo.

Madame Virginia Gallico, the Prince's Dame d'honneur, would have instructed her in protocol, ritual etc.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renata4711 View Post
Instruction in the RC faith would have been a slow process, by the Palace Chaplain, Father Penzo.

Madame Virginia Gallico, the Prince's Dame d'honneur, would have instructed her in protocol, ritual etc.
Its one day a week from September to Easter with the holidays off in December so if the Palace Chaplain were to work with her privately it could be done much faster and completed within a month. I found an article that said she hasn't converted yet but then if the press is saying she graduated from College and was a school teacher no one will know the truth about this woman by the end of the year. That could actually be the goal to recreate her resume. People at some point will begin to tell the truth about her as a man who worked with her and her coaches told me to set the record straight.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:58 PM
Serene Highness

LadyMacalpine is correct that Charlene has not converted yet. In recent interview with Albert, on July 12, done by Patrick Poivre d'Arvor, Charlene spoke in the end. The reporter asked about her protestant faith and Albert's catholic faith and Charlene told "she is christian' and Albert nodded with agreement. So it's clear she did not covert as of July 12.

"The course of true love never did run smooth " William Shakespeare, 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'

http://www.aishwarya-rai.com/
Old 07-18-2010, 04:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Hmmm...interesting. So if she does not convert, it will require a change in the Constitution...and CW will become the first ever non-Catholic Princess in the 900 year history of the Grimaldi dynasty?
Old 07-18-2010, 05:11 PM
Heir Apparent

The constitition says that Roman Catholicism is the state religion. It says nothing about the monarch's consort having to be Catholic or even that anyone in the line of succession must be Catholic. If that were the case Alexandra of Hanover would not be in the line of succession.
I am not sure that she would be the first Protestant consort either. Mary Hamilton's father was head of the Scottish Masons so that would make him Protestant. Her mother, Marie of Baden was born Protestant and did not convert to RC until later in life so there is a good chance that Lady Mary was born and raised Protestant as well, although she undoubtably converted as well.

In any case if Charlene has not already converted (noting that some suggested that if she has already that it was calcuation on her part to catch a prince) the wedding is still a year off which is time enough to join the Catholic church. It makes sense to do this since she is marrying a Catholic man, going to live in a Catholic country and any children will be Catholic.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks NGalitzine, but if Lady Mary Hamilton converted(according to John Glatts book on the Grimaldis she did so before the wedding) that would still mean CW will stand alone as the only Protestant if she refuses to do so before the wedding.

As for young Alexandra of Hanover, in the extremely unlikely event of her ever becoming Reigning Princess, not only would she be required to convert, but she would have to assume the name and the Arms of the Grimaldis.

I read that in the Constitution and will try to locate the clause.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:57 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by royrrules View Post
Is it against royal protocol to have a member of the royal family, although in the non-ruling branch, as a lady-in-waiting? I think that Charlene might have Melanie as her lady-in-waiting.
They have been seen at 2 events together. What would make you think that? Besides, I think Melanie lives in London and it's against protocol and Charlene technically isn't royal yet anyway, so why would she have a lady-in-waiting? Plus, if Melanie was a lady in waiting, it probably would be listed on the website.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:10 PM
Heir Apparent

In all 97 articles of the Monaco constitution, there is only one relating to the catholic faith:

Article 9: La religion catholique, apostolique et romaine est religion d'Etat.

Accueil*>*Institutions*>*La Constitution(Fr)
Old 07-18-2010, 06:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Thanks NGalitzine, but if Lady Mary Hamilton converted(according to John Glatts book on the Grimaldis she did so before the wedding) that would still mean CW will stand alone as the only Protestant if she refuses to do so before the wedding.

As for young Alexandra of Hanover, in the extremely unlikely event of her ever becoming Reigning Princess, not only would she be required to convert, but she would have to assume the name and the Arms of the Grimaldis.

I read that in the Constitution and will try to locate the clause.
Oh, I have no doubt she will convert(and there has been no indication she refuses to convert) just that it is not a constitutional requirement for a consort.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:09 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyMacAlpine View Post
Its one day a week from September to Easter with the holidays off in December so if the Palace Chaplain were to work with her privately it could be done much faster and completed within a month. I found an article that said she hasn't converted yet but then if the press is saying she graduated from College and was a school teacher no one will know the truth about this woman by the end of the year. That could actually be the goal to recreate her resume. People at some point will begin to tell the truth about her as a man who worked with her and her coaches told me to set the record straight.
Thanks for letting us know you talked directly to someone who knew her and her coaches. It helps to set the record straight. I honestly don't know why the palace just doesn't come out with the truth and stop all this nonsense about college degrees, and padding of the resume. Next thing you know she will be declared the next Mother Teresa.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:19 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thtregoddess11 View Post
They have been seen at 2 events together. What would make you think that? Besides, I think Melanie lives in London and it's against protocol and Charlene technically isn't royal yet anyway, so why would she have a lady-in-waiting? Plus, if Melanie was a lady in waiting, it probably would be listed on the website.
That's why I asked -- intrigued to know what the more knowledgeable and dedicated members of the forum have to say about this. What made me think that? Just curious and somehow hoping that Charlene would have someone devoted to Monaco and to the Princely Family on her "team" to help her along the way.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Can't remember where I read it, but if there were to be a divorce, the Prince would have custody of the children.

That seems a much more poignant possibility than merely changing one's Christian denomination.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:29 AM
Commoner

I'm new to Royal forums and being from Australia I just wanted to say it will be interesting to see how much coverage of the wedding we get. Not much I'm guessing so I can't wait to see what the dress is like, and what a European Catholic ceremony is like.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

Welcome ! You are in the right place to be. When the marriage will take place you will be able to see a lot of details here such as pix, videos and comments and a lot of links to get more (it is like that for all the Royal events !)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBelle View Post
I'm new to Royal forums and being from Australia I just wanted to say it will be interesting to see how much coverage of the wedding we get. Not much I'm guessing so I can't wait to see what the dress is like, and what a European Catholic ceremony is like.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:47 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by royrrules View Post
That's why I asked -- intrigued to know what the more knowledgeable and dedicated members of the forum have to say about this. What made me think that? Just curious and somehow hoping that Charlene would have someone devoted to Monaco and to the Princely Family on her "team" to help her along the way.
Like I said...She's mostlikely not as (someone else said anyway in this forum in this thread somewhere) Melanie works in promotions, so that's probably why she was there and it just turns out she happen to see them, and wandered over to say hello, and the press caught them together. Besides, I believe Melanie resides in London anyway, and IF she was Charlene (who isn't even royal yet)'s lady-in-waiting it would mostlikely be listed on the website, and it isn't.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Hello Lady Belle,

there is one European catholic wedding you can watch:

the one between Rainier and Grace!

YouTube - GRACE KELLY MARRIAGE IN MONICO 1957
Old 07-19-2010, 06:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Hi Goddess, Charlene will NEVER be royal - only princely.

If she really needs a lady-in-waiting (God forbid!), then Madame Gallico would do the job.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:03 PM
Nobility

Madame Gallico is very old and she enjoys of a great fortune for her work for so many years near HSH Princess Grace till 1982. I don´think she needs a job now or she accepts it.xx
Old 07-19-2010, 07:22 PM
Commoner

Thanks for the link ... European Catholic weddings seem very similar to catholic ones here in Oz. Although, I hope Charlene does not try to emulate Princess Grace's dress ... (total failure would happen) I think she should go for something more modern yet elegant.