The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-20-2016, 11:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks, Skippyboo.

However, Charles left the RN in December 1976, didn't he, and I'm sure that earlier that year he got in touch with Fred Pervin after hearing him talk on the radio (while he was on shore leave) about his work with young people in depressed areas and with young first offenders.

They met and Charles said he would like to help. Pervin found several deserving youngsters and Charles provided some finance and helped with things like ex army tents for camping trips.

I think that's how it all started and Pervin would write out reports and submissions and post them to Charles when he was in Portsmouth and other places.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:55 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
Could you provide a link to this interview? I would really love to watch it.

Sorry, I just read the post. Which link do you mean? The bbc one doc or sky news one?

Old 04-21-2016, 09:59 AM
Serene Highness

Also, how is Charles "overworked"?
Old 04-21-2016, 10:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Charles chooses to work that much. Camilla even said he isn't one for chilling. Philip is the same way. They don't want to stop working.

Twenty years from now, with kids grown and his marriage solidly secure, maybe William will be like that too. However, right now is firmly trying to build the family foundation for his little family that will benefit himself, his wife and his children for the years to come.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 04-21-2016, 10:33 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Charles chooses to work that much. Camilla even said he isn't one for chilling. Philip is the same way. They don't want to stop working.

Twenty years from now, with kids grown and his marriage solidly secure, maybe William will be like that too. However, right now is firmly trying to build the family foundation for his little family that will benefit himself, his wife and his children for the years to come.

I agree. In the sky interview Edward says something along the lines of "Haha, you try telling them that, good luck to you!" when the interviewer mentions that the Queen and Phillip might wanna slow down a bit :P
Old 04-22-2016, 03:30 AM
Royal Highness

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-win-love.html

Same valid points. I know most Dads would love to spend more time with their family but can't. He has the luxury of choice.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:11 AM
Courtier

Most people stop working or easing off there workload in their 60th - and enjoy a retiered livestyle for 20+ Years.

Royal live isn't like that - if you are going to be the monarch you work till you fall of your perch or you abdicate when you can't cope anylonger; Monachrs who abdicated where at least 10 or more older than when most other people retire.

So why shouldn't young royals - who are in the direct line of the succession, enjoy family live with a bit more freadom and time than other people have?j

Their live is made up in a diffrent manner to ours - so it is only clever to adaped. I'm sure this is what the Firm is very aware of - and this is, why W&K are left to raise their children as much as possible themselves. It is so important to build a good foundation of familiy trust and relationship to surviev living in a fishbowl.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:42 AM
Royal Highness

Mmm most people scape by on a very little money when they leave work so not so sure about enjoying it.
Also there are lots of loving families where both parents work full time
I can't but think of him going to a wedding so away from his family for Easter. Anyway JMT on the article.

Old 04-22-2016, 06:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Some valid points made here.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:05 AM
Royal Highness

I believe William's BBC interview and especially his "weighed down" comment will eventually prove to have been a big PR disaster.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Thank God for opinion polls. William already has the love of the people

Brits hail The Queen, William and Kate: trust in royals soars ahead of Her Majesty's 90th birthday | UK | News | London Evening Standard
Old 04-22-2016, 08:23 AM
Royal Highness

Oh the good old opinion poll. Never fails does it ? All in the way your asked and when etc ? not that I have ever been asked.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:24 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Interestingly, while the Queen and Prince William have favorability rates in the mid 60s, the figures for Prince Charles are only around 43 %, and his "very favorable" rating is only 13 % (compared to 33 % for William and 38 % for the Queen).

There are no figures for Camilla.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:27 AM
Heir Apparent

I was rebutting the odious Jan Moir who says William must win back our love
Old 04-22-2016, 08:39 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Not quite sure that can be classed as "rebutting". Whilst Jan Moir doesn't speak for everyone, neither do 1,518 chosen people speak for the 65 million population of the UK. Seeing as Jan used the term "our" I doubt she was just referring to the UK either. Also this poll was done in March, Jan's article was written last night.

William has always looked to me like a man who doesn't want his position. Which is fine, he just needs to suck it up and smile because i'm sure there have been hundreds of days where every member of every royal family has wanted not to be who they are. But they're smart enough not to show it to their public.

William and Catherine are popular because they're young and fresh faced. Somebody said the other day about how this scenario will potentially happen to William or more than likely George. If William has a long reign like his grandmother, George will get older and older and there will be cries for George's children to skip ahead of George. Popularity has very little to do with the people themselves, it has all to do with the publics perception of people IMO.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:52 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Not quite sure that can be classed as "rebutting". Whilst Jan Moir doesn't speak for everyone, neither do 1,518 chosen people speak for the 65 million population of the UK. Seeing as Jan used the term "our" I doubt she was just referring to the UK either. Also this poll was done in March, Jan's article was written last night.

William has always looked to me like a man who doesn't want his position. Which is fine, he just needs to suck it up and smile because i'm sure there have been hundreds of days where every member of every royal family has wanted not to be who they are. But they're smart enough not to show it to their public.

William and Catherine are popular because they're young and fresh faced. Somebody said the other day about how this scenario will potentially happen to William or more than likely George. If William has a long reign like his grandmother, George will get older and older and there will be cries for George's children to skip ahead of George. Popularity has very little to do with the people themselves, it has all to do with the publics perception of people IMO.
Being young with a good-looking wife and two little children certainly helps William, but I feel there is more to his popularity. Many people still feel sympathetic to him for having lost his mother when he was a teenager and a big share of his popularity is still a spillover from his mother's. That effect will fade over time though and William will have to make a case for himself. As of now, he is still popular, but, if he keeps making statements that make him sound like a spoiled rich kid, his popularity will be gradually eroded as he ages.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:55 AM
Heir Apparent

Well if Jan Moir looked outside the hypersensitive media bubble, she see would all the royals are popular, not just William

The Queen, Harry, William and Catherine have the highest number, So Jan Moir appears to be talking out of her hat
Old 04-22-2016, 08:58 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Interestingly, while the Queen and Prince William have favorability rates in the mid 60s, the figures for Prince Charles are only around 43 %, and his "very favorable" rating is only 13 % (compared to 33 % for William and 38 % for the Queen).
Its not surprising, I don't think the Queen counts because she's more an institution than any other monarch (perhaps apart from the Thai king), but usually, and especially in European monarchies the runners up/younger generation are more popular than the 'old guard'.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:25 AM
Royal Highness

And in the last 4 years: IpsosMORI, YouGov and Populus have had the approval/good monarch polls at 80 to 90% for the Queen, 70 to 89 for William and 60 to 78% for Charles.

I have followed British television very closely in the last 2 days and many royal authors/experts, (with the exception of the 3 to 4 anti Cambridge people) have praised William and Kate and said that William is more like the Queen than his parents. There were (as usual) a lot of negativity towards both Charles and Diana.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:01 AM
Aristocracy

I think even if William (or any other royal)had an engagement per day, they still could not relate to the lives that Jan Moir is describing. They're royals...their lives are different, it is what it is. I think human being share certain emotional hardships: loss, loneliness, happiness, etc. However, that does not always extend to life experience. As if the Queen and a working father that struggles to pay their bills have anything in common. No matter how many engagements the Queen does or how little or much that British citizen pays as a tax, they will never be a royal. I find the relatability argument absurd to be honest, perhaps someone can give me a fresh perspective because I don't quite understand.

I don't particularly believe the Queen was thrilled to become a monarch, she simply accepted it. When or if William becomes king, I think he will do the same. I'm not sure what else he's supposed to say. It is a burden and a big responsibility, but I did not hear him say that he was not willing to take it on. Again, I point to my previous statement, how many engagements is 'enough' before he sufficiently pays his dues. William does not do his engagements for himself, he does so on behalf of the BRF. To my knowledge, tax payers do not pay separate taxes based on the royal; they pay for the family as a whole. And the BRF conducts various engagement a day. Maybe it's because I don't have a 'favorite' royal, it has never really mattered to me who is doing them as long as they are done. A bit off topic, but could someone direct me to a place where I can see the expenses of the BRF in comparison to the money they bring in; if such a study exists.