Duke of Cambridge: What Now for William? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One thought that hit me is that with some people getting a sense of reluctance from William during interviews about his life and his roles is that its very well possible the tone of reluctance could stem from taking his time and being careful on how he words things. Anyone in the public limelight can tell you how the press can jump on and misinterpret things.

I've counted two people on this subject saying William is reluctant. It must be an odd world where someone gets guff for flying an air ambulance.

The thing is Harry gives the exact same answers in interviews about wanting a life outside of royalty and needing a job to stay grounded. People can't have it one way with Harry and another way with William.

They will both be 'full-time' royals soon enough. Unless they both avoid their 'destiny' and give up their titles. Not going to happen.

Catherine is doing exactly what she's supposed to be doing.

Everyone might as well learn to deal with it the way it is, in a year or so they will probably be expecting again and if she is still the DoC, as opposed to being the PoW, she will spend some time away from public duties. Even if she is the PoW she will have a more diminished role while pregnant and after having a baby.

LaRae

Exactly! I'm beginning to wish people would find something else to gripe about, because this constant harping on the Cambridges about the same thing is getting old.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited:
Exactly! I'm beginning to wish people would find so,thing else to gripe about, because this constant harping on the Cambridges about the same thing is getting old.

ITA! If the Queen and the PoW didn't agree with how the Cambridges are going about things they'd not be letting them do it!

LaRae

ITA! If the Queen and the PoW didn't agree with how the Cambridges are going about things they'd not be letting them do it!

LaRae

And they would allocate more money on the budget for them to do more royal duties

Right miche....and everyone should realize by now that within the next 5 to 10 years the Queen is probably not going to still be with us. He's going to be a full time working royal at that point. For now he's filling in where they need or want him.

LaRae

It was quite clear to everyone that when William decided to leave the RAF he had no idea what he wanted to do except that he didn't want to hang around until the official phasing out of SAR to private firms. Since he had personally lobbied for the RAF to retain these services and been rebuffed, it could be seen as resigning in a pet as the handover was not due until the end of 2015.

Preparing to be King: Prince William says goodbye to RAF after more than seven years | UK | News | Daily Express

However, virtually none of those "intentions" listed in the article and dozens of others at that time, actually took place. He announced he was joining EAAA in July/Aug 2014.

However, having left the RAF over 18 months ago he has either completed the longest aircraft conversion course in history and is now a paid member of EAAA run by Bond Air Services a private firm or, he is right on target of 5 months training starting in February and gaining flight status in Jun/July, factoring in a small paternity leave.

Seems to me he just jumped the queue on many other RAF Pilots in the same situation but whose income did not allow for a gap year and will have to leave the RAF and basically compete for the jobs they had with the new owners or, retrain within the RAF.

Prince William to become a pilot for East Anglian Air Ambulance | Third Sector

According to that article, his training should have taken 5 months. And since there were articles about him starting his training in Feb of 2015 . . . It's July and it's 5 months later he's right on target.

As to those sneers about him being "only a pilot", while SAR flying is, I believe, one of the most dangerous and challenging types of flying, high seas, mountains, incredible wind sheer and updrafts all need to be compensated for, the bottom line is he is still a pilot. He is not a doctor, a nurse, a paramedic or whatever, that is not what he is there to do.

He is there to get the medical team where they need to be and back as quickly and as safely as possible, so in that respect he is just the pilot.

But what about the missing year and all those wonderful ideas . . . . nada.

Other than a foreign service job which was more speculative than fact, he did do what it said he would do in the transition year.

Most of William's engagement numbers in 2013 where after he left the RAF. In early 2014, there was the Cambridge land management course for future role of DoCornwall, tour of Aus & NZ, London wildlife conference and bringing together other organizations to for United for Wildlife. All of that was before the EAAA announcement.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Last edited:
PRINCE William is being groomed to take over the running of the vast Duchy of Cornwall estate.

Prince Charles' eldest son will assume the title Duke of Cornwall when his father acceeds to the throne.

And the Secretary of the Duchy, Alistair Martin, told the Western Morning News that William, 33, now attends the twice yearly Duchy Council and is regularly updated on projects affecting the 135,000 acre estate, the vast majority in the South West.

"I meet with him on a regular basis and brief him and respond to questions from him and seek his views," Mr Martin said. He pointed out many of the projects undertaken by the Duchy will take years to come to fruition and will inevitably fall to Prince William to see through. If he takes the same close interest as Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall in the estate, it means the Westcountry will be hosting many more royal visits.
Prince William is prepared for Duchy role | Tiverton Mid Devon Gazette

Considering the Duchy of Cornwall will be William's single biggest responsibility when he becomes heir to the throne this is indeed good news but I'm not at all surprised.

He has always been very dutiful.

William will be as well prepared and trained as possible for when he becomes Duke of Cornwall and Prince of Wales.

It's not just William who will benefit from having a few years doing as near as can be an "ordinary job". It will be a tremendous plus for the country to have a monarch who has a good understanding of the real world of work rather than short term placements - however broad and varied these may be.

It's not just William who will benefit from having a few years doing as near as can be an "ordinary job". It will be a tremendous plus for the country to have a monarch who has a good understanding of the real world of work rather than short term placements - however broad and varied these may be.
I agree. That is more than alot of politicians have done, and they are the ones actually making decisions. So for him, thaat doesn't HAVE to do work, to do it shows alot of character and will help in his connecting to people in the future.

I agree. That is more than alot of politicians have done, and they are the ones actually making decisions. So for him, thaat doesn't HAVE to do work, to do it shows alot of character and will help in his connecting to people in the future.

Ladies, I could not agree with you more.

I guess you could call both Will and Harry the get down and get dirty type of guys. They're definitely not figurehead kind of guys but guys that like to know the ins and outs of things and experience it for themselves. Perhaps they learned "practice what you preach" from their dad eh? :D

ALTHOUGH the subject of succession is a sensitive one in royal circles, Prince William is now being groomed for the responsibilities he will assume when he inherits the Duchy of Cornwall on the accession of Prince Charles as king.

William will take over the Duchy, which is given to the heir to the throne to provide him with an income, and consists of 135,000 acres of land in the South-west, plus properties in south London, including the Oval cricket ground.

The Duchy Secretary, Alastair Martin, confirms that William, 33, now attends meetings of the Duchy Council and says: “I brief him and seek his views, particularly on long term projects.

“Part of my job is to keep on with the process of familiarisation because no one knows when the succession is going to happen.”

William will inherit the Duchy lands, worth some £800million, when the Prince of Wales succeeds as sovereign.
More: Duke of Cambridge is preparing to inherit the Duchy of Cornwall and its responsibilities | Adam Helliker | Columnists | Comment | Daily Express

Last edited:
First time though I've read direct quotes from the Duchy Secretary, Alastair Martin on seeking out William's views and keeping him up-to-date on the long-term strategy.

William has been attending Duchy meetings for a while

Last edited:
William has been attending the Duchy meetings for a while now.

First one in 2011, pretty much the same article just written 4 years ago.

Prince William prepares to take charge of the Duchy of Cornwall - Telegraph
Hmm, yes the Telegraph article with is re-incarnated feel good factor. I have to admit that during is second Gap, ooops, I mean Transitional Year I, expected to see him out and about both the Duchy but also the Princes Trust.

I didn't expect him to do nine to five, five days a week, but the odd photos or sightings of him out and about actually familiarising himself with what drives the whole shebang and in my book it is not attending the occasional
meeting.

Hmm, yes the Telegraph article with is re-incarnated feel good factor. I have to admit that during is second Gap, ooops, I mean Transitional Year I, expected to see him out and about both the Duchy but also the Princes Trust.

I didn't expect him to do nine to five, five days a week, but the odd photos or sightings of him out and about actually familiarising himself with what drives the whole shebang and in my book it is not attending the occasional
meeting.

Not sure why they need to release pictures of William attending "internal" meetings with Duchy officials.

The Prince's Trust has absolutely nothing to do with William. It's an organisation that belongs personally to his father. Charles will no doubt carry most of his charities forward with him when he becomes king. William has his own charitable foundation.

As for the Duchy, the best way to familiarise himself with it is meeting with the Duchy secretary and being kept up-to-date on projects and developments.

William already has much more 'preparation' than his father did who took over management of the Duchy at just 21 and then took years to really get it going.

Last edited:
William also spent time working on a dairy farm during his gap year between Eton and St. Andrews so I'd say he's familiar with that side of the Duchy business. As was pointed out earlier, neither brother has a problem with getting their hands dirty.

Also when William becomes Duke of Cornwall he's not going to be out tilling the fields on a John Deere tractor. His job will be Duchy management.

Charles knows what's best for William and attending Duchy Council meetings and meeting with the Secretary and Keeper of the Records for The Duchy of Cornwall Alastair Martin gives William excellent standing.

And although farming is a vital aspect, the Duchy does have other interests. It owns the Oval cricket grounds in London for example. Should William start playing cricket to 'prepare' himself for when he becomes Duke of Cornwall. Of course not.

As I stated earlier, William is receiving much more preparation than his father who took over Duchy management at the tender age of 21.

Last edited:
Also when William becomes Duke of Cornwall he's not going to be out tilling the fields on a John Deere tractor. His job will be Duchy management.

Charles knows what's best for William and attending Duchy Council meetings and meeting with the Secretary and Keeper of the Records for The Duchy of Cornwall Alastair Martin gives William excellent standing.

And although farming is a vital aspect, the Duchy does have other interests. It owns the Oval cricket grounds in London for example. Should William start playing cricket to 'prepare' himself when he becomes Duke of Cornwall. Of course not.

As I stated earlier, William is receiving much more preparation than his father who took over Duchy management at the tender age of 21.

Charles, who is an astute businessman, probably has very competent people when it comes to managing the duchy but William does need to be informed of and understand how it all fits together and that's exactly what he is doing now. Its all good.

Over the past year or so, I've come to believe that Harry is the one that has inherited his father's green thumb with his gardens for the Chelsea Flower Show and the blip about having his own little plot to dig in. It wouldn't surprise me one bit that in the future William enlists Harry to take over some of agriculture angles of the duchy even to the point of supervising and keeping up the grounds of Highgrove should the occasion warrant.

William's training has been in the works for a while now. Remember, not that long ago William observed The Queen carrying out an official audience at Buckingham Palace. Obviously, he's being prepared for the transition to Duke of Cornwall/Prince of Wales.

William's training has been in the works for a while now. Remember, not that long ago William observed The Queen carrying out an official audience at Buckingham Palace. Obviously, he's being prepared for the transition to Duke of Cornwall/Prince of Wales.

Totally agree with you there Dman. One thing we've learned following the Windsor family is that they never do anything by half measure and are experts at seeing into the future and what will be needed.

This is what Alastair Martin said just last week -

"I meet with him on a regular basis and brief him and respond to questions from him and seek his views particularly on long term projects."

“Part of my job is to keep on with the process of familiarisation because no one knows when the succession is going to happen.”

Prince William is prepared for Duchy role | Tiverton Mid Devon Gazette

Duke of Cambridge is preparing to inherit the Duchy of Cornwall and its responsibilities | Adam Helliker | Columnists | Comment | Daily Express

Last edited:
Charles, who is an astute businessman, probably has very competent people when it comes to managing the duchy but William does need to be informed of and understand how it all fits together and that's exactly what he is doing now. Its all good.

Over the past year or so, I've come to believe that Harry is the one that has inherited his father's green thumb with his gardens for the Chelsea Flower Show and the blip about having his own little plot to dig in. It wouldn't surprise me one bit that in the future William enlists Harry to take over some of agriculture angles of the duchy even to the point of supervising and keeping up the grounds of Highgrove should the occasion warrant.

Harry didn't actually design the flower show gardens. A professional designer did. William doesn't have to have a green thumb to manage the duchy. He not ever going to decide that this field should plant this and that field that.

William has the benefit of learning the Duchy from his father. Charles didn't have a previous Duke to learn from so it lucky now there is a Duke and 2 future Dukes to pass the information down the line.

The future training is behind the scene stuff. The Queen and DoE discuss Sandringham and Balmoral decisions with Charles. Charles discusses DoCorn stuff will William.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

:previous:I agree that it should be the those that actually working on the land raising livestock and crops to decide when, how, where this should occur with the board being informed of their reasoning. Charles is in a unique position to pass on his information regarding successes, failures, modifications made to his heir.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom