The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-27-2013, 07:12 PM
Majesty

I agree, the royal couple and their Kensington Palace officials didn't do the best job in explaining the plan and left a great deal of people, including the media and royal correspondents rather confused. The royal reporters was very confident in reporting that William was leaving the SAR and the couple leaving Wales but they had a very hard time in explaining the couples future plans.

I think the couple should step up their official duties and charitable ventures and I think they will but I think that should've been communicated better by the couple and their official team.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 09-28-2013, 01:32 AM
Courtier

IMO, the plan for William is to shadow the DOE & the Queen.

He will take over running of Balmoral & Sandringham from the DOE. He will manage it during the remaining years of the Queen's life, through Charles' ownership & through his own life.

He will be joining the Queen when she meets with her PM & foreign dignitaries. The NZ PM was his 1st.

He might take over some of the DOE charities.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
This totally makes sense to me.

I think a lot of times where there is a big, successful business and the CEO has a son that is going to take over the ropes, the smart CEO has the son learn all the ropes from the inside out over time building up to the day the reins are handed down from father to son.

In William's case, the ropes are to be passed from Granny to Dad to him so he has time to learn from the best.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:48 PM
Courtier

If this is indeed the plan, I think it's a smart one.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:08 PM
Commoner

I would say, that there is too much bias to quantity a not quality. I prefer less engagements but with broader and more meaningful influence on public life.
His first and most important role is to be a king and the best way how to learn is to accompany HM on her engagements preferably on the place of DoE.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:25 PM
Majesty

Well, I agree that William should be more incorporated into the business of the "Firm." Catherine accompanies The Queen on royal engagements every now and then and I think that's a great thing for her current role and future role.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 09-28-2013, 02:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
IMO, the plan for William is to shadow the DOE

He take over running of Balmoral & Sandringham from the DOE. He will manage it during the remaining years of the Queen's life, through Charles' ownership & through his own life.

He will be joining the Queen when she meets with her PM & foreign dignitaries. The NZ PM was his 1st.

He might take over some of the DOE charities.
nteresting ideas, but not that straightforward, IMO.

The DoE does not run these 2 estates, there is an estate manager at each. he may have oversight, so that could take up as much as 1 day a month.

He wont be with the Queen when she meets the Pm because they are confidential meetings between the Monarch and the Head of Governmente. Care will also be taken that Charles is not sidestepped, so that needs to be taken into account.

foreign dignitaries, well I would shift that to Commonwealth dignitaries. That is something that he needs to get a handle on. I think that if he could work/spend time with the Commonwealth Secretary, that would be very beneficial.

The British public, however, want them both out there doing home events. they need to be seen on British soil and initially that means not going on overseas trips. These are sometimes seen as "holidays".

In order to take over some of DoE's charities, the DoE needs to agree. Mmmm???

It is very difficult for William because what he wants is to do something worthwhile. animal conservation does not grab the public imagination in the way it grabs his.

He needs/wants a job, not random duties. it cant be political, dangerous, financially risky ( ie could he lose other peoples money), or commercial.

He probably wants to go and work in Africa but there is no way the 2nd and 3rd in line will be allowed to do that as its so dangerous.

Makes me realise that being young and royal is not great.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 10-02-2013, 07:05 AM
Courtier

There is not a need to pit brother versus brother. It is not an election for future King. William, Harry and Kate share a household, a foundation and work as a team. Both men risked their lives in the military and know what their future roles are.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:27 AM
Heir Apparent

That's very useful. For me, the key line was:
"The Duke is currently considering a number of options for public service, a further announcement on which will follow in due course."
Old 10-02-2013, 01:34 PM
Courtier

I think everybody is getting a little stir crazy coming down from the high of George's birth. Before we could pick names and birthdays and now there has been so little royal activity for the past month- were a bit news deprived. Maybe Wills , Kate, George and Lupo can go for a walk in Kensington gardens .
Old 10-02-2013, 01:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Neither William or Harry and in fact, any of the BRF can jump right in and say "I'm gonna do 100+ engagements next month and then take the rest of the year off". It doesn't work that way. Most engagements are planned many, many months in advance.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:04 PM
Courtier

Not to mention you have to be invited.

How about we discuss things that we would like to see William do now that he out of the RAF and has his home base at Apt 1a KP?

-Trip to Afghanistan to visit the Irish Guards
-More multiple royal engagements with the PoW or DoE or Queen.
-Visit a navy base so he can put on the yummy Royal Navy uniform :)
Old 10-02-2013, 02:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Not to mention you have to be invited.

How about we discuss things that we would like to see William do now that he out of the RAF and has his home base at Apt 1a KP?

-Trip to Afghanistan to visit the Irish Guards
-More multiple royal engagements with the PoW or DoE or Queen.
-Visit a navy base so he can put on the yummy Royal Navy uniform :)

Oooo, yes William in any uniform.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:07 PM
Aristocracy

Would love to see William doing more engagements with his Grandparents.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenei View Post
Would love to see William doing more engagements with his Grandparents.
We all know that the Cambridges headed to Balmoral to spend some time with HM and for George to meet his great grandfather recently.

I had an odd thought. From what I understand, a lot of times the hiatus in Scotland is sometimes used for a gathering of The Way Ahead committee. I'm just wondering if perhaps William attended this year.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:19 PM
Courtier

William has just finished a job as RAF rescue pilot a really dangerous and stressful job. Can we all give him a chance to settle in to his new home with his wife and son. William will gradually take on more engagements and duties overtime. Clearly these first few months since the birth of George are going to be quiet engagement wise. Once things settle down I am sure engagements will pick up.

God the way people have reacted it's like William will never work again. Some people just need to calm down.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:34 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I had an odd thought. From what I understand, a lot of times the hiatus in Scotland is sometimes used for a gathering of The Way Ahead committee. I'm just wondering if perhaps William attended this year.
I have a feeling it was that and a session of the " Future POW/King School".
Old 10-02-2013, 03:44 PM
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

William may not have served two tours in Afghanistan, but he did serve his country during his time as a search and rescue pilot. I commend both him and Harry for putting their lives on the line and serving - in whatever capacity they could.

I agree, royalistberet. It's only been a few months since the birth of George and the end of his RAF job.

In the statement from KP, they said there would be a further announcement in regards to the role William wants to play, so it sounds like there is still a lot of behind the scenes stuff to be hashed out. I imagine it might be a bit quiet until the new year, then I expect (or at least hope) that both William and Kate will step it up - the time has come for William to start taking on a more prominent role in the BRF. Whatever duties he decides to take on next year, I definitely see an overseas tour of Australia in the cards.

As for comparing the two brothers, it serves no purpose. I think both of them have done an admirable job with their charities and royal duties.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammaSueSue View Post
I have a feeling it was that and a session of the " Future POW/King School".
It definitely would be a good time to sit down with the Firm and make a plan of action of where to go from here. Whatever it is William decides to do in the near future, you have to know that it would have to have the assent and approval of HM. Its just deciding exactly where to start that takes thinking about.

One thing for sure, he'll learn from the best in his father and his grandfather. It also is kind of nice that William will be in the wings to fill in for either of his grandparents or even his father should a medical situation arise.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:03 PM
Gentry

I agree completely...wish I could have been a fly on the wall during the talks/planning.