The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-07-2014, 09:11 AM
Imperial Majesty

Prince William To Take To The Skies Again:
The Duke of Cambridge will train for five months before beginning his new job with the East Anglian Air Ambulance in the spring-
Prince William To Take To The Skies Again

Tim Ewart @EwartRoyale · 6m
William will be the first future monarch to have a job in civvy street. He's "hugely excited."

Max Foster @MaxFosterCNN · 5m
Palace says air ambulance will be Duke's ‘primary occupation’ but his roster will take into account royal duties and charitable work

Paul Harrison @SkyNewsRoyal · 5m
#royal What this all means is a Cambridge family move soon to Amner Hall - close to Duke's work & Kate's patronages, and away from press

Emily Andrews @byEmilyAndrews · 5m
From Sept he'll start five months of training: his civilian pilot's licence and a special 999-response course.Spring 2015 he'll be full-time

Emily Andrews @byEmilyAndrews · 4m
It's a minimum 2-year contract, tho KP say his rota will allow him to do charity work, overseas tours and engagements/duties for the Queen.

Peter Hunt @BBCPeterHunt · 1m
Prince William’s spokesman said he saw the role of air ambulance pilot as a “true form of public service".

Peter Hunt @BBCPeterHunt · 1m
William's salary will be donated to charity.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-07-2014, 12:02 PM
Royal Highness

The British Monarchy adicionou 4 fotos novas.
2 h ·
ANNOUNCEMENT: His Royal Highness The Duke of Cambridge is to become a helicopter pilot with East Anglian Air Ambulance.
After completing a mandatory period of training this autumn and winter, The Duke will start work with the Air Ambulance, based at Cambridge and Norwich Airports and flying both day and night shifts, in spring 2015. The Duke will start as a co-pilot but, after a period of training, will be qualified to fly as a helicopter commander.
You can read the announcement in full on His Royal Highness's website here: Press release

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...38718813_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...65355140_n.jpg
https://scontent-b-mad.xx.fbcdn.net/...82923961_n.jpg
https://scontent-b-mad.xx.fbcdn.net/...54&oe=545A18FF

Old 08-07-2014, 12:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

Video:
Kensington Palace has announced that the Duke of Cambridge Prince William is to train as an air ambulance pilot ahead of taking up a full time role next year. If successful, the 32 year old son of Prince Charles and the Princess of Wales, is expected to join the East Anglian Air Ambulance in Cambridge. The service’s Medical Director Alastair Wilson, says his role will centre around flying, but that His Royal Highness is likely to muck-in and make the tea in the morning as well-
Home - ITNSource News

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-07-2014, 12:21 PM
Royal Highness

I think William should dedicate exclusively to Royal duties.
He has no need to be a helicopter pilot.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:24 PM
Majesty

As much as I love seeing William interacting with people on official engagements (and let's face it, he's quite good), I do think that what he chose to dedicate his time to is as important (if not more even) than constantly being seen. He's going to be helping people, and saving lives. I would hope that such a decision would make people respect him just a little bit more, but I have a feeling I'm wrong.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think William is very much respected and the job he will go on to do is a very honorable thing. There's nothing like helping other people who's in need. He and Catherine will just have to find a better balance to focusing on this job and royal duties. Catherine will need to be seen doing her part but their royal commitments are most important though. They'll be just fine if they balance things out well for the next two years.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-07-2014, 01:20 PM
Heir Apparent

I think William is ideal for the job. He has that " special something".
Old 08-07-2014, 01:25 PM
Nobility

Oh, come on! It is a dignifying job, it is very meritable that he is giving the salary to charity, but let's be frank here - he could make much more for charity just appearing in events and leaving that job to somebody else already qualified. In my humble opinion he looks like the heir of a huge business corporation that is fighting his controlling parents to be independent and feels he is misunderstood. Why didn't he continue to be in the military first place? I can understand him not wanting to hang on and do what he is told till one of his seniors dies (sad but true). Probably they thought Prince Philip would not recover well from his last heath issue and convinced him to leave the military. I don't know what is going on behind the curtains but the result is the image of a childish insecure man that does not know what to do of his life. It's either really bad PR and miscommunication among the royals or the Duke thinks he is still in his teens trying to find out his call in life. I can see him under the shower singing "Should I stay or should I go?"
Old 08-07-2014, 01:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
As much as I love seeing William interacting with people on official engagements (and let's face it, he's quite good), I do think that what he chose to dedicate his time to is as important (if not more even) than constantly being seen. He's going to be helping people, and saving lives. I would hope that such a decision would make people respect him just a little bit more, but I have a feeling I'm wrong.
I agree. The mind boggles that people criticise this decision but there you go.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:34 PM
Serene Highness

How you view this situation just frankly depends on what your opinion is of PW and the DoC. If anyone's interested or busy, I can help you skip 20 pages of going round and round and round.

Those who like them (or/and those who don't generally think of them with any particular negativity) will opine and maintain that the Time of the Cambridges hasn't come yet.

Those forum members who have seen signs that, in their opinion, show that William and Catherine are (insert one: boring, petulant, not ready, lazy, entitled, noncommittal, or not sufficiently devoted to their roles) will argue that William is just kicking the can down the road, acting entitled and not giving due deference to his place in the BRF.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Exactly. William's critics will always be his critics.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

Peter Hunt @BBCPeterHunt · 12m
Kensington Palace says Prince William will attend a reception in Glasgow this evening "to thank those who worked on the Commonwealth Games".

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-07-2014, 03:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Royal Central ‏@RoyalCentral 1 hr The Duke of Cambridge will attend a reception in Glasgow this evening to honour those who worked at the Commonwealth Games.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualfan View Post
How you view this situation just frankly depends on what your opinion is of PW and the DoC. If anyone's interested or busy, I can help you skip 20 pages of going round and round and round.

Those who like them (or/and those who don't generally think of them with any particular negativity) will opine and maintain that the Time of the Cambridges hasn't come yet.

Those forum members who have seen signs that, in their opinion, show that William and Catherine are (insert one: boring, petulant, not ready, lazy, entitled, noncommittal, or not sufficiently devoted to their roles) will argue that William is just kicking the can down the road, acting entitled and not giving due deference to his place in the BRF.
Basically.

It's funny that William taking on a job where he's rescuing/saving lives, is viewed by some as a negative thing. And by funny, I mean sad.

William may not be shaking hands and opening buildings, but he is still serving the people with his new job. Also, it's not like he won't still be undertaking royal duties and working with his foundation.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:43 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
Basically.

It's funny that William taking on a job where he's rescuing/saving lives, is viewed by some as a negative thing. And by funny, I mean sad.

William may not be shaking hands and opening buildings, but he is still serving the people with his new job. Also, it's not like he won't still be undertaking royal duties and working with his foundation.
I'm not sure anyone views William's upcoming job in the Air Ambulance as a negative thing. It's a very honorable job.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-07-2014, 04:03 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I'm not sure anyone views William's upcoming job in the Air Ambulance as a negative thing. It's a very honorable job.
Exactly! The problem is that he is one among some that can do this job well but is the only one in millions that will be king, even if this will happen in a distant future.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Unfortunately I've seen quite a few people view it in a negative light. He's been called lazy and spoiled, a few have said he should step aside if he wants a real job and some have complained about where he'll be donating the money. Believe me, not all view it as honorable.

Like I said, he's not cutting ribbons but he's performing a public service and making a difference. Which is one of the things that people expect of royals. Air Ambulance is a charity and by working there, he is bringing attention and money to the organization.

Personally, I don't see how going full-time is going to make him any more ready for his future role.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Watch Prince William pay surprise visit to thank Glasgow staff for 'best ever' Commonwealth Games - Mirror Online
Old 08-08-2014, 12:00 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
I think William is ideal for the job. He has that " special something".
I share your opinion. He has the heart to help those in need. Yes, that can be done by going to charity events, but actions speak so much louder than any words of a speech at said events could. He'll do a wonderful job as a Prince of Wales, and King, when it's his time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
Basically.

You said it!

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:34 AM
Heir Apparent

I mean I suppose if he wanted to become Patron of the Air ambulance service he could, and people wouldn't complain. And yes, that would be wonderful. I don't mean to say that William's touching peoples lives by being Patron of charities , and going to these events isn't wonderful, because it most certainly is. I know it helps people.But this seems greater somehow, because he is taking action. Can't really explain what I mean because you could say that doing charity appearances is taking action too. And donating his salary too. Wonderful.
I was reading some books quoted William as saying he wanted to be " The People's King" I know he will be . Reading about people's interactions with William had me in tears.
I must say I was shocked to read such negativity about William doing this. I wondered if they were talking about the same William. The adjectives they used were the complete opposite of the William that I have gained an impression of from reading accounts of people that have actually met the man.