The Duke of Cambridge Current Events 2: January 2014 - July 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the height is more of a problem for a guy than a women if they are short. Until there is a point of reference you can't tell how short or tall someone is. So Tom Cruise is surrounded by short people on a movie we can't tell. Him standing next to Nicole Kidman -wow he's short.

William has the plus that he is relatively tall and you throw in the uniform which makes it more impressive. Wills is 6' 3" when he meets Lebron 6'8" at the NBA game in NYC , King James is going to 5 inches on W and almost a foot on K (she might have couple of inch heels)

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Royal Central @RoyalCentral · 2m 2 minutes ago
Prince William will present the Chatham House Prize at Banqueting House on Friday 21 November.

:previous: I find the height debate interesting. No one says that Queen Margrethe is more regal than Queen Elizabeth and she has to be a good 6-8 ins taller.

The King of Jordon is very regal

On a personal note, as someone who is 5'2", I find these comments to be "heightist"

ROFL. :))

LOL. I just meant if someone's going to be above others in station it helps if they're above them in height as well. Sets the mood.

I have always felt that once a child grows taller than their parent. The parent loses a little of their authoritarian air.

BTW, I really like this Angry Birds project William is involved in. Have to reach the younger crowd on environmental issues.

LOL. I just meant if someone's going to be above others in station it helps if they're above them in height as well. Sets the mood.

I have always felt that once a child grows taller than their parent. The parent loses a little of their authoritarian air.

BTW, I really like this Angry Birds project William is involved in. Have to reach the younger crowd on environmental issues.
Nah, not happening. My 5'5" sister just has to look at her two 6' plus sons and it could stop a train in it's tracks . . . and they're both in their 30's!

But back to Angry Birds, I think it is only natural that they should reach out to the young and technologically inclined. It is a medium both he and young kids, even very young kids, are fluent with.

Chatham House Prize 2014 Award Ceremony, with The Duke of Cambridge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_OVmmmUrow

Yahoo News UK
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/william-honour-melinda-gates-024513912.html#RiC2uf5
The proud parents of philanthropist Melinda Gates watched on while the Duke of Cambridge presented her with an award in recognition of her humanitarian work tackling poverty and poor health in the developing world.

William awarded her the Chatham House Prize during a ceremony at the Royal United Services Institute and Banqueting House in Whitehall, central London.

The Duke roared with laughter when he was inadvertently introduced as his grandfather, the Duke of Edinburgh, to a reception full of distinguished guests from the worlds of politics, business and public health.
Melinda Gates presented with Chatham House Prize by Prince William | Royal | News | Daily Express
Prince William handed the award over to Mrs Gates for her work tackling poverty and poor health in the developing world.

The philanthropist, who is married to former Microsoft boss Bill Gates, was praised by the prince for her "vision, commitment and unstinting generosity".

Presenting her with the prize - a crystal award and a scroll signed by the Queen, who is patron of the institute - William said: "Civil society, whether in the form of business, academic institutions, NGOs (non-governmental organisations) or philanthropic organisations, play a critical role in shaping international relations and in working for a fairer, more peaceful and healthier world.

Last edited:
Arthur Edwards @ArthurJEdwards · 3h 3 hours ago
#ChathamHouse Amused Prince William is introduced by MC Richard Birtchnell as The Duke of Edinburgh at Chatham House
https://twitter.com/ArthurJEdwards/status/535932248890298369

That is... priceless! LOL!
Illustrates 3 of the many reasons why I love William.
1- When he smiles or laughs the world lights up, and seems better, and you get a good feeling inside. A feeling I can't find a word for. And that's just from looking at pictures of the man- never met him - wish I could.

2- His extraordinary ability to put people at their ease, his sense of humor, and ability to have fun! I'm sure the MC was very grateful for those abilities tonight! He'd need them if he was to meet me- for about 5 seconds. Once the ice was broken, I wouldn't be nervous. But for 5 seconds- wow! If he could put me at ease( and just by looking at pics I know he could, cause I just get this feeling that if he walks into a room ever at a event, and I'm there then I want to take my wheelchair over and get in the front of the line and chat- usually that's so not me. I love to chat, but I get scared and clam up with new people, if he can do that with me, he can do so with anyone) But back to the MC. They were obviously nervous tonight, but W instantly put them at ease.
He could have made a big deal out of the mistake, and embarrassed the person. Instead, he took it with his great sense of humor. It's more important to him that people have fun, rather than formality and protocol and what gets said all the time.And it's OK to tell jokes- as long as they are not insulting, and setting is appropriate. The man knows how to go with the flow. Love that.

3 . The man looks good in a tux.

I think I may have written a novel- LOL!

Last edited:
:previous:And I am in line to buy that novel your going to write. Everything you said about Prince William I second that with a big hug to you. He does remind me of someone though and she is looking down with such pride and love at her son.......and yes he looks fabulous in a tux, that should be his uniform of the day, every day.........:):flowers:

That is... priceless! LOL!
Illustrates 3 of the many reasons why I love William.
1- When he smiles or laughs the world lights up, and seems better, and you get a good feeling inside. A feeling I can't find a word for. And that's just from looking at pictures of the man- never met him - wish I could.

2- His extraordinary ability to put people at their ease, his sense of humor, and ability to have fun! I'm sure the MC was very grateful for those abilities tonight! He'd need them if he was to meet me- for about 5 seconds. Once the ice was broken, I wouldn't be nervous. But for 5 seconds- wow! If he could put me at ease( and just by looking at pics I know he could, cause I just get this feeling that if he walks into a room ever at a event, and I'm there then I want to take my wheelchair over and get in the front of the line and chat- usually that's so not me. I love to chat, but I get scared and clam up with new people, if he can do that with me, he can do so with anyone) But back to the MC. They were obviously nervous tonight, but W instantly put them at ease.
He could have made a big deal out of the mistake, and embarrassed the person. Instead, he took it with his great sense of humor. It's more important to him that people have fun, rather than formality and protocol and what gets said all the time.And it's OK to tell jokes- as long as they are not insulting, and setting is appropriate. The man knows how to go with the flow. Love that.

3 . The man looks good in a tux.

I think I may have written a novel- LOL!

:previous:And I am in line to buy that novel your going to write. Everything you said about Prince William I second that with a big hug to you. He does remind me of someone though and she is looking down with such pride and love at her son.......and yes he looks fabulous in a tux, that should be his uniform of the day, every day.........:):flowers:

Ladies, I agree with the both of you. William has a very uncanny ability to put people at ease. I know this for a fact due to a very. very special young lady I've worked with who had the pleasure of meeting him. He is what Rose said, and probably more. Our world is a better place because of people like the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited:
^^^I also remember a video clip where William was being interviewed by a young girl. As she made her introduction she referred to him as Prince Harry. William burst out laughing and asked her to leave it as is.:lol:

^^^I also remember a video clip where William was being interviewed by a young girl. As she made her introduction she referred to him as Prince Harry. William burst out laughing and asked her to leave it as is.:lol:

I remember that as well. It was amusing, and showed William's delightful sense of humor.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I remember when he and Catherine were in Canada, William was introduced as the 'douche of Cambridge' and Catherine burst into laughter.

I remember when he and Catherine were in Canada, William was introduced as the 'douche of Cambridge' and Catherine burst into laughter.

In all the stories where things go wrong, names get mispronounced and even mistaken for someone else, their easy going natures and ability to just enjoy the moment must for sure have saved some people embarrassment. It ends up not being so much as a faux pas but rather a memorable occasion.

William gets that easy going humor from The Queen. I still remember in May 2007 when President Bush made that embarrassing flub about the long-serving HM being around in the 1700's when he meant 1970's, she just made a witty comeback about her age.

William gets that easy going humor from The Queen. I still remember in May 2007 when President Bush made that embarrassing flub about the long-serving HM being around in the 1700's when he meant 1970's, she just made a witty comeback about her age.

I remember that quite well and in fact, was thinking of that when I wrote my previous post. I couldn't recall the exact details so omitted it. If I recall, she stated something like "I'm not quite that old" with a smile. :D

I remember all the incidents that are mentioned here, and they all make me smile still. I think that quite a few members of the British Royal Family have a sense of humor that we find so very enjoyable. William certainly has great examples in his paternal grandparents, and of course his father, just to name a few.

Peter Hunt @BBCPeterHunt · 2h 2 hours ago
Prince William will visit China early next year the BBC understands.

It's not clear if the Duchess of Cambridge will travel to China. She'll be heavily pregnant.

A visit by William to China highlights the fact that his father Prince Charles has not undertaken such a tour.

After the Hong Kong handover Prince Charles wrote in his diary that some Chinese officials were "appalling old waxworks".

When Prince Philip went to China in 1986 he told some British students, "if you stay here much longer, you'll all be slitty eyed".

Peter Hunt is a closet Republican...

The Prince of Wales is [rightly IMHO] a staunch supporter of HH the Dalai Lama, and the rights of the oppressed Tibetan people...

Peter Hunt is a closet Republican...

The Prince of Wales is [rightly IMHO] a staunch supporter of HH the Dalai Lama, and the rights of the oppressed Tibetan people...

Probably why you don't send him to China to improve relations. William doesn't have any political baggage.

Probably why you don't send him to China to improve relations. William doesn't have any political baggage.

Maybe he doesn't have any political baggage but this would be an excellent time to try and push his advocacy for illegal poaching with China. I'd have to go back and read up again on United for Wildlife but if I'm not mistaken, China is one of the biggest areas of concern for the illegal trade and selling of ivory and tusks.

Just a thought.

William doesn't have any political baggage.
Except being a fierce opponent of the hunting of Elephants & Tigers, both of whose 'products' the Chinese value HIGHLY, and about whose future survival they seem to care not a JOT !

Last edited:
There is nothing confirmed about this report...confirmations about trips come with exact dates...these reporters need to chill a bit and not get too excited because he is still in the air ambulance training process until april.

There is nothing confirmed about this report...confirmations about trips come with exact dates...these reporters need to chill a bit and not get too excited because he is still in the air ambulance training process until april.

As this is in two threads, I'll just point out that in the General Information thread there is a release posted by BBC News in regards to this trip.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-30180502

Last edited:
BBC News - Prince William's most significant overseas visit
This will be Prince William's most significant overseas visit.

When the trip was being planned, the hope was that his wife would accompany him.

But when it takes place the Duchess of Cambridge will be heavily pregnant and it's unlikely she'll now be part of a tour designed to strengthen Britain's relationship with China.

Prince William's presence in Beijing and elsewhere will highlight the fact that his father hasn't yet undertaken such a journey.

^^^I agree that this will be highly significant as it will be one of his first outside of the Commonwealth and nations with a long standing cooperation with the UK ie: USA.

I agree with wyevale.
One of the things I admire about Charles is his staunch public support of Tibet.

If I thought William would highlight the wildlife crisis of Tigers and Elephants while in China, I would support this trip. But this sounds very much like a business and p.r. trip that China cooked up, and the UK is playing along because they know China is the next great Superpower and they want to reinforce their economic ties.

I'm honestly very disappointed in this trip.

I agree with wyevale.
One of the things I admire about Charles is his staunch public support of Tibet.

If I thought William would highlight the wildlife crisis of Tigers and Elephants while in China, I would support this trip. But this sounds very much like a business and p.r. trip that China cooked up, and the UK is playing along because they know China is the next great Superpower and they want to reinforce their economic ties.

I'm honestly very disappointed in this trip.

The wildlife crisis probably won't be brought up in any part of the trip to China as although its a cause that is near and dear to William, he's going to be there as a representative of HM, The Queen and the UK as a whole.

It just might get his foot in the door though for working with China in the future though.

Well Britain rolled out the red carpet earlier in the year for the Chinese, so this is the reciprocation.

Long haul travel is the one area where the younger royals can help the Queen and given that apparently Charles is on the outs with the Chinese, William gets to go.

This visit is very much a goodwill and PR mission and although illegal trade maybe raised behind closed doors, the government isn't sending William there to grandstand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom