The Birth of HRH Princess Charlotte of Cambridge: May 2, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought they might save Diana for Harry but there is nothing to say he can't use it too. I think it's good that she has a first name like Charlotte there won't be the comparisons if it had been one of the others .Elizabeth and Diana work better as second and third name.

My parents named my Second Elder Brother Jacob with Tanner being his middle name. When my Uncle (My dad Brother) and Aunt had my Cousin six months after me they named him Tanner. So Harry could use Diana as a first nane.

Two of my Cousins are named after our Grandfathdt

Aah, I had wished for a princess and my only choice for a name was Charlotte. I am a happy camper. The little Princess has lovely names. :)

My parents named my Second Elder Brother Jacob with Tanner being his middle name. When my Uncle (My dad Brother) and Aunt had my Cousin six months after me they named him Tanner. So Harry could use Diana as a first nane.

Of course - there's no stopping Harry from putting "Diana" in all of his daughter's names - first name, second, twenty-fifth, whatever.

I love Charlotte, and it's even more apt as this little girl was born on the anniversary of the wedding of the Princess Charlotte who was Victoria's cousin. She would have been Queen if she'd lived.

George and Charlotte are a very Hanovarian combination, I think, but lovely to see an old name long unused come back into the royal family. Elizabeth and Diana were inevitable, I believe.

I love the name Charlotte too, and even more so knowing that she shares her birthday with the P.Charlotte whose life (and especially death) had so much impact on the BRF as it is now.
As I understand it, that P.Charlotte was very popular in the country at the time, similar to the popularity of P.Diana in her lifetime, so if little Charlotte takes after them in that aspect it will be great (and i hope she reaches the age of her other namesake, Elizabeth ;) )

So Harry could use Diana as a first name.

I am sure that Harry's eventual daughter will also have Diana as one of her names!
After all, Diana was Harry's mother too and he would probably also like to honour her.
(But William's eventual second daughter will not have, I suppose)

Yes he could use it as a first or second name. Then there is her middle name Frances.

Charlotte is very pretty .Sounds right with her family-William ,Kate George and Charlotte.

Charlotte is now growing in popularity in the U.S.

I just realized that William has a cousin called Lady Charlotte Diana Spencer (daughter of Diana's younger brother), born in 2012. The names are pretty close for two girls who are in the same generation and will probably move in the same circles. But maybe William isn't that close to his uncle.

I wonder when the press will start calling her Princess Lottie. :cool:

I would be willing to bet my last tootsie roll that we're bound to hear Bonnie Princess Charlie soon. :ROFLMAO:

I'm choosing to see this in a very cup half full way for the royal side of the family.
Charlotte is a beautiful name. I'm always reminded of how much certain areas of my country loved their mother country when I visit Charlotte, NC. Charlotte also nods at the POW.
Elizabeth honors GGmother as well as Charles, who was said to have hope Harry would be a girl, so that Charles could honor his mum with the name.
And Diana - whatever you think of her, William loved his mother. Loves her still. And she loved him. Let him honor that love.

There were many other great names that had great reasons to be chosen. But they were not and we are moving on. :flowers:

I just realized that William has a cousin called Lady Charlotte Diana Spencer (daughter of Diana's younger brother), born in 2012. The names are pretty close for two girls who are in the same generation and will probably move in the same circles. But maybe William isn't that close to his uncle.

Except they aren't in the same generation. Lady Charlotte is William's first cousin, which makes her a second cousin of Princess Charlotte. Now, age wise, they will grow up in the same era but who knows how often they will see each other. I've never gotten the impression that William has a close relationship with his Uncle Charles.

With respect to the name, while I was hoping for Victoria, I think that Charlotte Elizabeth Diana is simply a beautiful name and quite perfect in so many ways. It honors all sides of both Catherine and William's families. It satiates both sides of the neverending Charles/Diana debate. It has a regal history but isn't overused within the British Royal Family. It is a popular name so it doesn't sound too old-fashioned or dated to modern ears. And, at least to me, I think it has a wonderful flow off the tongue.

One other thought... should W&K have another girl they can still honor Diana by using her middle name as one of that child's middle names. But, for now, if they stop with just their two fabulous children or have no more girls, they have really hit this one out of the park. By any standard, this name is a grand slam!

Lovely! It sounds lovely! Honors family, as well as sounds regal.

Princess Charlotte of Cambridge...Love it!!

Nicely done - both paternal grandparents honoured as well as the beloved great-granny.

I saw Charlotte Elizabeth Diana trending number 1 worldwide on Twitter before I saw the announcement!

Except they aren't in the same generation. Lady Charlotte is William's first cousin, which makes her a second cousin of Princess Charlotte. Now, age wise, they will grow up in the same era but who knows how often they will see each other. I've never gotten the impression that William has a close relationship with his Uncle Charles.

With respect to the name, while I was hoping for Victoria, I think that Charlotte Elizabeth Diana is simply a beautiful name and quite perfect in so many ways. It honors all sides of both Catherine and William's families. It satiates both sides of the neverending Charles/Diana debate. It has a regal history but isn't overused within the British Royal Family. It is a popular name so it doesn't sound too old-fashioned or dated to modern ears. And, at least to me, I think it has a wonderful flow off the tongue.

One other thought... should W&K have another girl they can still honor Diana by using her middle name as one of that child's middle names. But, for now, if they stop with just their two fabulous children or have no more girls, they have really hit this one out of the park. By any standard, this name is a grand slam!

Age wise, they're of the same generation. As contemporaries, they're bound to know each other on some level and move in the same circles. Technically, Lady Charlotte and Princess Charlotte are first cousins once removed, not second cousins.

i was expecting charlotte (pippa's second name), elizabeth (the queen's name and carole's second name) and diana to feature in her name :)
very nice choice in any case!

I had completely forgotten Earl Spencer's youngest child was called Charlotte Diana.

I would be willing to bet my last tootsie roll that we're bound to hear Bonnie Princess Charlie soon. :ROFLMAO:

Hahaha! I can't say I love it because I am not a fan of Charlie as a nickname for a girl much less a princess but definitely a great headline for tomorrow's papers, lol.

Coincidentally, the last Princess Charlotte got married on May 2 1816. Princess Charlotte of Cambridge was born May 2 2015.

Rebecca English @RE_DailyMail · 35m 35 minutes ago
A change in plans: The Queen is currently en route from Sandringham to London and will meet #PrincessCharlotteElizabethDiana tomorrow now.

Not a fan of the first name, I wanted Victoria or Alice.

Not that it matters ;)

Was right about two of the three. First name was up for grabs, but I like it. Not sure why so many thought Diana would be a burden.

Charlotte Elizabeth Diana is an odd combination, and it doesn't sound as regal as, for example, Alice Victoria Mary . They have the right to pick whatever name they like for their daughter though.

That is because of the Diana name, it is a "strange name" in the string of predictable names as Victoria, Alexandra, Elizabeth, Mary, etc. but it would have been surprising when that name was not given, especially since the grandfather has been honoured (Charles), then also the grandmother would have been logic (Diana). In the Spanish media they say "La pequeña Princesa Carlota Isabel Diana de Cambridge" and that sounds surprisingly good....

Last edited:
:previous:
I think people would think of it as a burden for a first name. Lot of baggage for young shoulders . :flowers:

What a beautiful name and it suits her.

What a beautiful name. I was so hoping they'd use Charlotte. I'm also really happy they included Diana. It's such a lovely tribute. In fact, I love that they choose names that honors both sides of the family.

Was right about two of the three. First name was up for grabs, but I like it. Not sure why so many thought Diana would be a burden.

As a first name it would have been a burden.

This week I get guests for diner, I will make a Charlotte Russe as dessert. It was created for Princess Charlotte of Wales, now I will make it in honour for Princess Charlotte of Cambridge. (A Charlotte Ruse is a cold dessert with bavaroise set in a mould, lined with sugared biscuits.)

Last edited by a moderator:
As a first name it would have been a burden.

Agreed. I cannot imagine what life would have been like for this new princess had she been given her paternal grandmother's first name as her own. This name gives her a chance to forge her own identity.

British Royals @britishroyals · 2m 2 minutes ago
William, Kate, George & newly-named Princess Charlotte are staying at Kensington Palace tonight. Meanwhile, the Queen has returned to London

Rosa Monckton @MoncktonR · 2h 2 hours ago
Diana's spirit lives on in her sons, and now her name lives on in her granddaughter.#CharlotteElizabethDiana

Very true and rightfully so!

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful names. They are both traditional names and meaningful for their family.

Back
Top Bottom