The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-28-2013, 07:08 AM
Heir Apparent

I looked up the definition of "reality programme" -

television programmes in which real people are continuously filmed, designed to be entertaining rather than informative.

As this is about how an important service works and the risks and training of the men who do this, I think its a documentary.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 03-28-2013, 07:25 AM
Heir Apparent

However, it doesnt mention formal interviews, where one gains information not about the individuals but the work they do and the outcomes.

Im sticking with documentary. so we'll have to agree to differ.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:38 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Republic | Campaign Updates

Quote:
Democracy group Republic has today challenged the BBC over its continuing role as propagandist-in-chief for the royal family.

The move follows news that the broadcaster will be showing a four part series following prince William in his job as a search and rescue helicopter pilot.

Republic has previously accused the BBC of fawning over the royals and failing in its duty to present them in a fair and unbiased way.
Couldn't help but laugh,
Old 03-28-2013, 08:27 AM
Aristocracy

I wonder if those people realize its only airing on bbc wales. The main focus is the profession not William. Him being in it helps shed light on his job in SAR.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

Of course this is a documentary. A 'reality' series is a show that follows a bunch of nobodies around as they do little of value, mainly to satisfy the voyeuristic tendencies among a section of the population. The Kaardashians, Made in Chelsea, TOWIE, are reality shows.

If this is a reality show then I suppose 'Our Queen' was a reality show, as was 'The Royal Family at Work', 'The Diamond Queen' etc.

This documentary on the SAR has huge historical significance, given that in a couple of years it will no longer exist. After more than 70 years of putting their lives on the line for others, SAR deserve this opportunity to remind the British public of the vital work they have done over the years and to salute all those who have served, just as it goes out of business.

William's participation is utterly justified and appropriate in that context.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:21 AM
Nobility

Reality vs. Documentary | The Cornell Daily Sun

From the article:

"Is a “documentary series” different from a so-called “reality series?” To me, the term ‘documentary’ implies some level of artistic innovation, and often, a type of altruistic aspect. A reality show, on the other hand, implies … well … it implies Real Housewives or Jersey Shore."
Old 03-28-2013, 09:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
. Anyone with an ounce of common sense know what SAR workers do, they don't need William to highlight it a few days after the confirmed privatisation annoucement.
Ah but you see, that is the problem.....common sense is not very common at all. Just reading comments in the DM should make that obvious.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:39 AM
Courtier

RAF is a humorous situations? Is this BBC programs supposed to entertain us?

I don't get how 4 episode documentary that is suppose to inform us is being call a reality show. Might has well call some news programs a reality show.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:13 AM
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

I don't see how this documentary is any different than the ones that the BRF have done previously. Nor is it any different than the many ones that I've seen from the Danish royal family.

A reality show is scripted, whereas a documentary is not. People that have actually worked on reality shows (crew, actors), have said it's pretty fake. They usually have to film scenes over and over again, and if something happens off camera, they have to re-enact it for the cameras. The producers also give them an outline on what they want them to say/do.

Also, a reality show is mainly meant to entertain, while a documentary is meant to inform.

I really don't see how showing the RAF doing their duties and then getting a few interviews from the crew, is considered a reality show. How is it any different than 'Our Queen', or any of the other documentaries that show the royals doing their work/duties?
Old 03-28-2013, 10:19 AM
Heir Apparent

BBC News - Prince William features in new Helicopter Rescue TV series

While I am sure humour can be found in most jobs and situations we find ourselves in every day, from the comments made by the RAF participants in the documentary it also is clear that they are very busy and that performing their job can be dangerous to both the crew and the people they are attempting to rescue.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:26 AM
Majesty

It's not a reality show.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

We will see how William centric the show is when it comes out. If it's 4 half hour shows, I'd expect 4 featured rescues with pieces about the support crews, communication, bits from survivors, equipment, etc. worked around that. If 4 one hour shows, there may be even more rescues featured. If Wills is only "featured" in one of them, I'll be willing to back off the idea that this is only a royal fluff piece.
In any case, I completely understand why people might have an interest in dangerous rescues and rescue work. We like to watch danger and tense situations - just take a look at the many movies and TV series about cops, firemen, the military, pilots, doctors and paramedics, etc.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:15 AM
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

William isn't going to be the main focus of this documentary. He'll be featured more in the 1st episode, since the rescue of a little boy by him and his crew, will be a central part of that episode. He'll briefly appear in the other 3 episodes.

According to Richard Palmer, he did one interview and they've split it amongst each episode.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:35 AM
Heir Apparent

This programme has been made by BBC Wales. The SAR is very important in Wales and Valley is the busiest unit in the UK. I don't think BBC Wales would be making a "fluff" piece about something so important.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

I would imagine that this program is going to be more along the lines of Our Queen than... I don't know, Pawn Stars or something. It almost seems as though a part of the future of the monarchy is doing more documentaries and letting the public see more of what they do beyond just the engagements. In my opinion, this is probably a good thing. It seems like it's a forward thinking initiative.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
This is a video that I believe will be part of the BBC series. It does give a glimpse into what the feel of the program will be.

AOL.com Video - Prince William's Helicopter Rescue
Old 03-28-2013, 04:57 PM
Commoner

abdication

There needs to not be such a coddling of the next generation. William and Catherine are fully grown adults and should be carrying out at least an engagement every other day, not playing soldier and princess as they seem to be now. I don't care if Catherine's pregnant. It's one of the few jobs she's supposed to do.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Since when is being an SAR pilot considered "playing soldier"? I rather doubt the other SAR personnel would agree with your rather dismissive view of their jobs and I suspect that those that have been rescued by the SAR would really differ with you.
Have you considered the possibility that the DofE does not want to be sidelined, that it is perhaps his continued activity that
Old 03-28-2013, 05:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Well said. Dismissive comments about on of the most important emergency services in Wales are out of order.
as for the DoE, he is doing fine and is a lot fitter than many. The hollow eyed look is nothing to do with his health, he's been like that for years!

Old 03-28-2013, 06:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

I find it ridiculous that people are so dismissive of William's work in the SAR. He's not doing it just for the PR, and it's not like he's just pretending to be a pilot. It's a legitimate job.

Which I guess people have to dismiss in order to justify the whole argument that William is determined to simply sit in the lap of luxury and live off of taxpayer dollars. People who make these arguments seem determined to simply attack the system of the monarchy.