The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-07-2011, 06:44 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opal View Post
I will always refer to Kate as "Duchess of Cambridge" or "the Duchess". This is her official title and is what should be used.
Her name of Kate has already been changed to using Catherine which to be honest came across as a bit pretentious.
Duchess of Cambridge is a perfectly nice title and she should be happy just to get a title.
There was nothing pretentious about the name use of Catherine, since that has been her official name since she was born. Kate is just a nickname.

Getting a title is customary on a royal wedding day, so it is not something she should be happy about - as in "she'd better be grateful for it". I haven't read anywhere that she is not happy with the title, since that is the way your post comes across to me.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:56 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opal
I will always refer to Kate as "Duchess of Cambridge" or "the Duchess". This is her official title and is what should be used.
Her name of Kate has already been changed to using Catherine which to be honest came across as a bit pretentious.
Duchess of Cambridge is a perfectly nice title and she should be happy just to get a title.
Her name hasn't been 'changed' Catherine is her name, Kate was a nickname given to her by the press. How can it be pretentious to be called by your own name?

Old 05-07-2011, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Honestly Kate requesting to be called Catherine is no different than people who are previously known as a Billy/Willie, Betsy, Joe, etc who as they grow up and develop professional careers wish to be known as William, Elizabeth and Joseph in such a capacity.

Old 05-07-2011, 11:42 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk
Honestly Kate requesting to be called Catherine is no different than people who are previously known as a Billy/Willie, Betsy, Joe, etc who as they grow up and develop professional careers wish to be known as William, Elizabeth and Joseph in such a capacity.
Yes exactly- plus SHE never said Catherine that was the RF , she herself has said she's still very much Kate so it's hardly pretentious ! :) I agree w Zonk and previous posters on this
Old 05-09-2011, 03:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Ok so to the experts out there a little help. Richard from Daily Express said this:
Quote:
RoyalReporter Richard Palmer
@IFCMI No, she's not a Princess. The wife of a Prince isn't automatically a Princess, BP says. Fergie was never Princess Sarah; nor Sophie.

4 May
in response to this question:
Quote:
@RoyalReporter surely she is a princess (p william) the official line is that she isn't princess Catherine
Is that true I thought her full title included Princess William, Duchess of Cambridge and so on.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:53 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
Ok so to the experts out there a little help. Richard from Daily Express said this:

in response to this question:

Is that true I thought her full title included Princess William, Duchess of Cambridge and so on.

Note that they said Fergie was never Princess Sarah - correct - but she was a princess - Princess Andrew.

A bit of half-right. Catherine isn't Princess Catherine but she is a princess - Princess William but officially Duchess of Cambridge. You won't see her with the title Princess until Charles becomes King and William is created Prince of Wales at which time she will be Princess of Wales - but still not Princess Catherine.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Right just what I thought too. So he's half right she's not Princess Catherine but he's half wrong when denying she's not Princess William either right?
Old 05-09-2011, 04:33 AM
Super Moderator

She isn't a princess in her own right, but it was settled in 1923 that the wife of a prince is a princess.

Royal Styles and Titles of Great Britain

"It is officially announced that, in accordance with the settled general rule that a wife takes the status of her husband, Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon on her marriage has become Her Royal Highness the Duchess of York, with the status of a Princess. "
Old 05-09-2011, 04:45 AM
Heir Apparent

Right so she isn't Princess Catherine but does the rank of a princess means she's Princess William?
Old 05-09-2011, 03:50 PM
Courtier

Catherine's full title and style is: Her Royal Highness Princess William Arthur Philip Louis, Duchess of Cambridge, Countess of Strathearn, Baroness Carrickfergus
Old 05-09-2011, 04:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Right that's what I always thought too it's just Richard's post confused me. I'll have to correct him on that.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:37 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Slightly OT, but after so many years of them trying to avoid letting the paps get their picture together (the video of him in his uniform and her in the white coat where she is practically running to keep up with him so (supposedly) the paps can't get their picture always comes to mind), this picture of them holding hands is just so sweet :)
Old 05-11-2011, 01:10 PM
Aristocracy

Prince William is uhappy with the title Kate was given!

May 2 article:
Prince William unhappy Kate wasn't given 'Princess' title - National Kate Middleton | Examiner.com

If this is true and he accepted the title, then the only reason William did not decline the title was because Kate talked him into accepting it.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:38 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Observer7 View Post
May 2 article:
Prince William unhappy Kate wasn't given 'Princess' title - National Kate Middleton | Examiner.com

If this is true and he accepted the title, then the only reason William did not decline the title was because Kate talked him into accepting it.
2 months ago they were saying William didn't want any titles and now that he wanted Catherine's to be a Princess in her own right?

Oh well!
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Publicly, I will always address them as the D&DofCa; however, I have always known them as Wills and Kate and will continue to do so when posting on this forum.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:52 PM
Heir Apparent

So Richard spoke with the palace in the morning and we were all wrong!
Quote:
RoyalReporter Richard Palmer
@Kristinazzz9191 re Princess Kate, I asked the palace to clarify this again. She would have automatically become Princess William of Wales..

@Kristinazzz9191 ..if she hadn't got another title. But she is not a Princess after being made Duchess of Cambridge.

@RoyalUniverse No. She is not a princess. That is what I have been told by Buckingham Palace and St James's Palace.

@RoyalUniverse yes, he is still a blood prince but they keep saying the wife of a prince is not automatically a princess if given a title.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

RoyalReporter Richard Palmer @

@JDarnell44 But yes, if Charles becomes King, William and Kate will become the Prince and Princess of Wales.

7 hours ago

After reading the above Tweet, which is a definitive statement, his credibility (with me) is gone.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:15 PM
Heir Apparent

I'll ask him since I thought he can't automatically inherit Prince of Wales but rather the Queen or I suppose at the time his father will have to recreate it for him if that's the case.

I trust Richard he's been pretty bang on about the things I've asked him in the past so if he says he asked the palace today then he did.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
So Richard spoke with the palace in the morning and we were all wrong!
Catherine has the rank of a Princess ("HRH Princess William of Wales") with her marriage to Prince William, the same as all wives of sons and male-line grandsons of The Sovereign. She is not a Princess of the UK in her own right, nor does she enjoy the style of a Princess.

Her husband was created a Duke and his wife is automatically a Duchess upon marriage. This is her title, but she holds royal rank as the wife of a Prince of the UK.

She is not, formally or informally, Princess Catherine, but HRH The Duchess of Cambridge.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:15 PM
Heir Apparent

The palace says she doesn't have the HRH Princess William of Wales. I dunno if that's different then having the rank of a princess. I'm not great with titles/styles but from what I'm understanding from his posts the palace is telling him that her title would have been HRH Princess William of Wales had she not gotten HRH the Duchess of Cambridge. Now as I said I dunno if that's different then having a rank of a princess

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding, titles