Possible Names for the 2nd Child of the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The name will probably be announced on Monday.

Charlotte Catherine Alice, Alice Catherine Elizabeth... I'll wait and see.

Alison, modern? :lol:

There's an Alison in Chaucer's 'Canterbury Tales'! It's a very old name, but deeply unfashionable in the UK now.

It is a very popular girl name in the US though.

I realize so many would like the new princess to be named Diana, but the burden would be overwhelming. She would be constantly compared and unless she is drop-dead gorgeous, would face media criticism.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

EXACTLY!!!! Personally, I don't think William OR Harry should name a child Diana. Let it be a name for one of THEIR grandchildren. That would be far enough removed to be a nice memorial, but not so heavy a burden.

Ana

I'm still sticking to my guns with the name Mary. So much can be done with it and it will totally be the new princess' individual name.

Mary Alice
Mary Elizabeth (Mary Beth)
Mary Victoria

Originally I liked the idea of a Princess Mary, too. But then on second thought I came to the conclusion that a George and a Mary might be too much of a reminder of George V and his wife.

Jacknch & Frideswide, Thanks for all the info. I never knew that Alison has such a long history all by itself. Still stick to it. We'll see...

Personally, I don't think William OR Harry should name a child Diana. Let it be a name for one of THEIR grandchildren.
I am afraid Diana will be far forgotten till that time and her name won't have any meaning for her grandchidren. I mean that Camilla maybe will have more right to call herself their grandmother.

I am afraid Diana will be far forgotten till that time and her name won't have any meaning for her grandchidren. I mean that Camilla maybe will have more right to call herself their grandmother.

Diana will always be their ancestor, and there are people who name their children after ancestors who died long ago.

But you're right, the children of William and Harry will certainly see Camilla as their grandmother. They'll have three grandmothers, with one being sadly dead.

Diana will always be their ancestor, and there are people who name their children after ancestors who died long ago.
Some ancestor and a close relative have different emotional meanings. I can respect my great-grandfather but i'd prefer to name my children in trubute to my parents or other familiar persons. Or if I just like that name very much then I can choose my ancestor's name.

Last edited:
I realize so many would like the new princess to be named Diana, but the burden would be overwhelming. She would be constantly compared and unless she is drop-dead gorgeous, would face media criticism.
Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
I agree it could be more of a burden than a tribute to have the name Diana anywhere in her name.

Last edited by a moderator:
I go for
Alice
Charlotte
Victoria
Alexandra
Mary (second favorite, after my own name of course)
Elisabeth
Catherine
and of course hoping to see Caroline somewhere, I don't mind if it's the first or third name :D

I bet one (or more) of these names will be on the birth certificate.

Regarding the name Diana, as I said before, I don't see them not choosing it because of tradition matters or whatever this name could bring. If they like it and it "matches" the other names, I think they'll go for it. Besides, both William and Harry could have planned this since their's mother death, like: when I have a girl, I will honor my mother. I don't see a Princess Diana (first name) but it can be there or not. And I have in mind that there are other ways to honor her, like choosing a name she liked for a girl (my mother always said to me that if I had a little sister, her name would be Michelle), or from Spencer family.

Although I think they could put Diana somewhere, I don't think they will :D

I was thinking, it would be lovely to have a Princess Elisabeth or a Princess Catherine (it wouldn't be confuse, since Kate is the Duchess)... I like the idea of naming a daughter after her mother, is more common with boys but I like it.

But among all the names I prefer (besides my own name of course :bounce:) Mary such a classic, timeless, strong and beautiful name

We'll see, they have good taste, I like what they did with George Alexander Louis :)

I agree it could be more of a burden than a tribute to have the name Diana anywhere in her name.

I can't be sure that William would feel that way about his beloved mother's name. I am half expecting the child to be named Diana.

I don't see Diana being used either.

Alice Elizabeth Rose
Charlotte Alice Elizabeth
Charlotte Rose Elizabeth
Victoria Rose Mary
Mary Victoria Elizabeth
Rose Elizabeth Victoria

Alison is my middle name - definitely very unfashionable nowadays here in the UK. I personally detest it (no offense to the Alisons of the world!). Also I don't think it sounds quite royal enough even if it's a nickname (and I'm fairly sure most people consider Alison and Alice to be separate names, even if they originated from the same name way back).

I'd like to see a Princess Charlotte personally. If they name her Victoria I'll never hear the end of it (that would be my first name!) - and I hate that name too! (again, no offense!)

One thing I do know is they will not name her Diana. It's a lovely sentiment and I understand where it's coming from but there is just too much pressure on that name, especially when preceded by the word Princess.

My point exactly.

My point exactly
So if William or Harry want to make a tribute to their mother they should consider giving her name to their own children. But maybe Harry will do it. Who knows.

Also bear in mind in regards to using Diana as a name that it would mean Harry couldn't really use it if he has a daughter one day. Personally I doubt it will be the new Princess' first name.

Congratulations to both families. I hope they give her Diana's middle name not her first name.

Also bear in mind in regards to using Diana as a name that it would mean Harry couldn't really use it if he has a daughter one day. Personally I doubt it will be the new Princess' first name.
I can't see a Princess Diana either, it can be a second or a third name, but not the first one IMO. But I actually don't think they will choose Diana at all.
There are other names to honor william late mother, they don't have to use Diana for this.

Last edited:
I think it will be Alice with Diana as a middle name Kate had a baby girl this morning I think 8 something London time

I think it will be named Alice Diana Elizabeth Or Maybe Victoria Diana Phillipa Or maybe caroline Elizabeth Mary

A few more

Elinor Charlotte Rose
Alice Catherine Rose
Alice Catherine Alexandra
Charlotte Alexandra Mary
Alexandra Charlotte Mary
Alexandra Elizabeth Rose

I know George has Alexander in his name that's the only reason I have not considered it more.

I love the name Rose it would be nice if they used it for the Princess.

:curtsey:Someone else came up with the combination Alexandra Elisabeth Diana Carol. I like it so I'm going with it.

I can't be sure that William would feel that way about his beloved mother's name. I am half expecting the child to be named Diana.

Be careful what you wish for, Charles!!! :D

My main guess will remain Matilda Elizabeth Rose (as it has been since day one :D).

Other possibilities: Elizabeth Rose Matilda, Isabella Charlotte Rose, Eleanor Elizabeth Matilda, Victoria Eleanor Elizabeth or Alice Elizabeth Matilda.

i love the idea of having Diana and Rose as names...after all Rose is my name....axa...but i am very happy for them....its a beautiful day today

I am SO excited and blessed. Today is my birthday, so I feel a bit like I have some claim to this child!

Names, wow, I don't even know what to suggest. I think we need to turn the clocks forward to a new era and modernize the names.

I would suggest names that call attention to social issues and also reflect a modern naming trend.

Gender neutral names like Lammy I like. Or Carl Lee.

But sticking with feminine names, I like Matricia, which really invokes a strong matriarchal sense. I like Tyna, but only with the y as Tina with the I is too plain for such a gift.

My favorite though would be Diana Camilla it would end the animosity and heal wounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom