The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 04:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
I would think that the only name that William has dibs on is Elizabeth. Peter could have used it as a first name for Isla especially since she was born in the diamond jubilee year but its only a middle name for her.

It seems that the royals tend not to use a name if its already in use by someone in the family . Like Harry isn't going to name his son George. The only exceptions are probably Philip and Elizabeth since they won't be a great overlap in lifespans

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
QEQM certainly did not shy away frmo naming the then Princess Elizabeth, even knowing that down the road 2 Queen Elizabeths at one time would be confusing

Old 09-09-2014, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Boy : Prince Albert or maybe Prince Richard

Girl : Princess Elizabeth or maybe Princess Mary

Old 09-09-2014, 06:14 PM
Gentry

Princess Victoria of Hesse was Prince Philip's grandmother and Princess Alice of Battenberg was his mother, which is another reason I have a hunch a girl might be Victoria or Alice. It would be a way to please the very elderly Prince Philip without being too obvious about it. I also would bet that Elizabeth will be a middle name and not a first.

Victoria Alice Elizabeth?

I also took a look at the Online Gotha and Arthur is a name that Charles and William and Queen Elizabeth's father King George all had as a middle name. I thought Frederick might be an obvious choice, but I forgot about Prince William's cousin Freddie, whom he probably grew up with. Would he want his son to have a name in common with a childhood playmate? Arthur would be quite a nice name for a brother of George.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:21 PM
Gentry

Perhaps its worth considering Diana's maiden name because Spencer is a boy's name too.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Do we know any names Charles and Diana had picked out for a girl? There may be a clue there.

I mostly want a girl because I think it would make the Prince of Wales so happy

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 09-09-2014, 06:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Possible names for the 2nd child of the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
QEQM certainly did not shy away frmo naming the then Princess Elizabeth, even knowing that down the road 2 Queen Elizabeths at one time would be confusing
They didn't known that either one would be Queen when Elizabeth was born. HM The Queen is always the reigning monarch or consort versus HM Queen Name is a dowager when being addressed.

Plus if Margaret would have been a boy, he would have bumped Elizabeth down a spot.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:57 PM
Gentry

Quote:
When the then Princess Elizabeth was born, the Duchess of York did not know she (or her daughter) would one day be Queen. King Edward VIII did not abdicate until the current Queen was 10 years old.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:40 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I don't think John will ever come up as a first name for the British royals. Because of the connotations of bad King John they've kept away from the name for heirs.

Also it's had its sad links over the years--George V and Queen Mary's youngest son was ill and died young. Edward and Alexandra's youngest son had John as one of his first names and died soon after birth. If the family feel there is any bad luck involved then they won't use it.
I've read this before. I would think "Charles" would have more negative connotations within the British Royal Family than would "John."
Old 09-09-2014, 07:46 PM
Heir Apparent

While Charles I lost his head, Charles II was restored to the throne. William is not going to consider his father's name as bad.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:07 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
Do we know any names Charles and Diana had picked out for a girl? There may be a clue there.

I once read - don't remember where - that they would have named their daughter Eleanor.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:08 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff462 View Post
Perhaps its worth considering Diana's maiden name because Spencer is a boy's name too.

Personally can't see a Prince Spencer.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:21 PM
Commoner

I read something a few years back that William liked the name Alice. I have a hunch that if it is a girl, Alice will be a name used. I don't think that there will be another Princess Diana anytime soon.

As for a boy, since Andrew and Harry have Albert in there, I will bet that Albert is used. William and Kate seem traditional, so I don't think that they will buck the tradition started by Granny and continued by Mum!
Old 09-09-2014, 08:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
When the current Queen was born she was the first child of the second son.

A number of scenarios would have been expected to play out to take her out of that position.

1. the eldest son married and had any child - didn't happen but was still expected to happen in 1926

2. her parents would have another child - possibly a boy - in which case she goes down again

Imagine if Andrew had married before Charles and had Beatrice - who would expect her to be Queen - no one and she is in the same position - the elder child of the second son although she was born after the first son had had children and so was never as high in the line of succession as Elizabeth was.

However, in 1926, no one expected the present Queen to become Queen (surmised that it was possible of course but it wasn't expected).

As a result naming her after her mother wasn't an issue as the expectation was that one would remain HRH The Duchess of York while Elizabeth would spend her life as HRH Princess Elizabeth of York, until marriage and then be HRH Princess Elizabeth, Mrs xxxx/husband's title.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:44 PM
Serene Highness

If the baby is a girl Elizabeth or Diana.

If the baby is a boy Michael or David
Old 09-09-2014, 08:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

For a Princess: Henrietta Dorothea Elizabeth
Henrietta has not been used since Princess Henrietta Anne, the daughter of Charles I and Henrietta Maria.

For a Prince: Richard John Philip
For a Prince: John

Catherine's great-great-grandfather was named John Harrison.
Catherine's great-great-great-great-grandfather was named John Goldsmith.
Catherine's great-great-great-grandfather was named John Goldsmith.
William's grandfather was named Edward John "Johnnie" Spencer.
For a Prince: Edwin Arthur Michael
Edwin was King of Northumbria.
He reigned 616 to 632 (633).

For a Princess: Philippa Mary Anne
Philippa of Hainault was the Queen Consort of King Edward III.
For a Prince: Geoffrey Ronald Charles
Geoffrey, Count of Anjou, was the husband of Empress Matilda. They were the parents of King Henry II.
Ronald Goldsmith is Catherine's maternal grandfather.

For a Princess: Elizabeth Valerie Victoria
Valerie Glassborrow Middleton is Catherine's paternal grandmother.
For a Princess: Sophia Alice Carole
Sophia, Electress of Hanover was the mother of George I.

For a Prince: Robert Duncan Malcolm
Robert, Duncan, and Malcolm are the names of Kings of Scotland.
For a Prince: Frederick Edward Thomas

For a Princess: Cecily Frederica Elizabeth
Cecily, Duchess of York was the mother of King Edward IV.
For a Prince: Michael Claude Arthur
Claude is the first name of Claude George Bowes-Lyon, 14th Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne, the maternal grandfather of Queen Elizabeth II.

For a Princess: Claudia Ruth Diana
Claudia is a feminine equivalent of Claude, the first name of the 14th Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne.
Ruth is the first name of Ruth Roche, Baroness Fermoy, the maternal grandmother of Diana, Princess of Wales.
For a Prince: Ian Charles Cedric
Cedric was King of Wessex.
He reigned from 519 to 534.

For a Princess: Mary Victoria Joan
Joan, the Fair Maid of Kent, was the wife of Prince Edward, the Black Prince, the eldest son of Edward III.
For a Princess: Valerie

Valerie would be in honor of Catherine's paternal grandmother, Valerie Glassborow Middleton.
For a Prince: Richard

Richard of Conisburgh, 3rd Earl of Cambridge, was the second son of Edmund of Langley, 1st Duke of York.
For a Prince: Lionel
Lionel, Duke of Clarence was the son of King Edward III and Queen Philippa.
For a Princess: Constance
Constance Robison Glassborrow is a great-grandmother of Catherine.
For a Princess: Adeliza

Queen Adeliza was the second wife of King Henry I.
For a Princess: Esther
Esther Jones Goldsmith is a great-great-great-grandmother of Catherine.
For a Prince: Athelstan
Athelstan was King of England. He ruled from 924 to 939.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post

I heard they were going to pick Elizabeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris M View Post
I once read - don't remember where - that they would have named their daughter Eleanor.
I heard Alexandra - which is why I think they will go with that one this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynderella View Post
I read something a few years back that William liked the name Alice. I have a hunch that if it is a girl, Alice will be a name used. I don't think that there will be another Princess Diana anytime soon.

As for a boy, since Andrew and Harry have Albert in there, I will bet that Albert is used. William and Kate seem traditional, so I don't think that they will buck the tradition started by Granny and continued by Mum!
I heard Alice too, along with Rose and Mary. Alice Rose - that's really lovely
Old 09-09-2014, 09:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris M View Post
But it was Diana who really loved Eleanor, wasn't it? Because IIRC, I've heard that Charles had "saved" Victoria as a first name in case he had a daughter. So I reckon Charles favoured Victoria for a daughter and Diana Eleanor.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
But it was Diana who really loved Eleanor, wasn't it? Because IIRC, I've heard that Charles had "saved" Victoria as a first name in case he had a daughter. So I reckon Charles favoured Victoria for a daughter and Diana Eleanor.
Okay, I was wrong on Charles and Diana - I DID hear Victoria, not Elizabeth. Although I do have to go with Diana on this one, Eleanor at the time was different. It's still a lovely name, but it seems to be the new IT name for princesses.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:17 PM
Nobility

For a prince : HRH Prince Alfred John Francis of Cambridge

For a princess : HRH Princess Alicia Rose Frances of Cambridge

These names - Alfred and Alicia(Alice) are my favorite british royal names
Old 09-10-2014, 12:31 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynderella View Post

Going back further:

Prince Albert was himself a second son
Prince Alfred had Albert in his names
Prince George (George V) also had Albert in his names
and then there is George V's own second son - Prince Albert (who became George VI)

That makes 6 out of the last 7 generations having Albert as one of the names of the second son and the only reason the 7th didn't was that there were two girls.

I am of course only looking at the second son of monarchs and not at other children who may have Albert in their names as well.

Closed Thread