The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 09:52 PM
Commoner

I like Sophia Elizabeth Mary for a girl.

And for a boy I like Arthur Philip Henry

Old 04-21-2015, 09:54 PM
Serene Highness

So why is Alice so super special and so anticipated? Why not Mary or Charlotte or Amelia or the other appropriate Royal female names?

Old 04-21-2015, 10:42 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
My friend, who only follows royals at a distance, mentioned to me that she heard that everybody thinks it will be a girl called Alice, to which she added, "which means it won't be."
LOL When George was about to be born, everybody expected a girl and not too many were expecting a George. I really like the name Alice. If the baby Cambridge 2 was not a Alice, I hope Princess Madeleine's second girl (if it's a girl, of course) would be a Alice too (after Queen Silvia's mother).
Old 04-21-2015, 11:11 PM
Heir Apparent

I would love to see Charlotte as a first name if it's a girl.

LaRae
Old 04-21-2015, 11:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristine View Post
LOL When George was about to be born, everybody expected a girl and not too many were expecting a George. I really like the name Alice. If the baby Cambridge 2 was not a Alice, I hope Princess Madeleine's second girl (if it's a girl, of course) would be a Alice too (after Queen Silvia's mother).

Everybody was on the girl bandwagon last time too. However, once it was a boy, George was easy to guess as his name. George and Richard were the only multiple monarch names that weren't in use by the immediate family (not counting the Gloucesters as immediate family). George has the stronger Windsor ties and not the bad Richard III heritage.

The new baby has more options for names.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 04-22-2015, 12:18 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
So why is Alice so super special and so anticipated? Why not Mary or Charlotte or Amelia or the other appropriate Royal female names?

Alice was being touted as the Duchess did her paper on the author of "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass", Lewis Carroll when she was completing university.

And it is also a bit of a family name with Princess Alice and the mother of Prince Philip.

I've seen recently that Prince Charles had "Victoria" reserved for any daughter he may have had, so if a little girl, this may be used for his grand-daughter.

Now the "New Idea" Snettisham Farm Park photos have been published by a U.S. magazine, I've seen people commenting on how "narrow" the Duchess looks from behind - and that this is a sure sign of a little boy being born.

Alice, or Victoria, may just have to be left on the shelf.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:32 AM
Aristocracy

Having trouble posting. Not sure why. Says i have no permission to post! Sorry for posting this. Have had trouble posting. Wrote something about this subject but was denied.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

A Princess Alice sounds very pretty, very antique. Still partial to Charlotte, but Alice will do: Alice and George.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:53 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
It's because it was reported there had been some substantial bets placed on Alice, from the Windsor area. Whether that's true or not, I couldn't say, but that's when the odds were shortened on Alice, and the public have jumped on the bandwagon.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:06 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
My friend, who only follows royals at a distance, mentioned to me that she heard that everybody thinks it will be a girl called Alice, to which she added, "which means it won't be."
A lot of people thought the first baby would be a boy named George ... and it was. So
Old 04-22-2015, 06:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancia View Post
A lot of people thought the first baby would be a boy named George ... and it was. So
Although to be fair, there weren't a whole lot of options for a boy if they wanted a traditional name used for kings in the past. Most of them are used within the immediate family. As for girl names, on the other hand, there are a lot of unused traditional names and they're able to choose a bit more freely for this baby.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Possible Names for the 2nd Child of the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge

Only Anne was married and had kids when Charles got married so I don't know think he had to reserve Victoria. There wasn't a lot of babies being born just Peter and Zara. Zara was actually the suggestion of Charles. Plus Anne's kids were not going to be HRHs so that opens up more names.

I do think it's interesting that with 3 girls in George's generation that Elizabeth isn't used as a first name.

Unless it's Pippa or Rebecca Deacon making a bet on Alice, I don't think large betting indicates what will happen. They could go with the girl name they picked out when George was born or go for a traditional name that isn't a Royal name like Olivia or Emma. Andrew wasn't a name in the British royals until the Queen and Philip used it for their second son.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 04-22-2015, 08:02 AM
Heir Apparent

I still don't buy into not being able to use a name already in use within the family.

Considering the royal family tends to use traditional names they get used up pretty fast

Take James for example, yes Viscount Severn's name is James but its also the name of Kate's brother and she may like the name.

Plus HRH Prince James of Cambridge will not be confused with Viscount Severn either with the public or within the BRF.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:02 PM
Aristocracy

Is Zara a traditional name? honestly I haven't read or met online people with this name...
Old 04-22-2015, 12:06 PM
Heir Apparent

I've always thought Prince Charles suggested it to his sister and Anne liked it. I don't believe its a traditional name at all, but I can't remember where Charles got it from!
Old 04-22-2015, 12:46 PM
Serene Highness

Zara was never going to be Royal in the same way Charlses boys or Andrews girls were. They could experiment out of the box.But Eugenie was a bit of a wildcard also- does anyone know why they chose that one?
Old 04-22-2015, 12:51 PM
Courtier

Aren't Beatrice and Eugenie both names used by Queen Victoria for her daughters.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:57 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Andrew wasn't a name in the British royals until the Queen and Philip used it for their second son.
No, but it was the name of Philip's father: Prince Andrew of Greece and Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
I still don't buy into not being able to use a name already in use within the family.
I don't think it's a matter of not being able to, but more a question of choosing not to. From observation, I think that they will avoid names that are in use among the closer family, and the younger cousins*.

*using 'cousins' in a broad sense there.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

Let's not forget the reasoning behind Prince George's names - George for obvious reasons because one day he will be king and so it had to be something along those lines. Alexander Louis were chosen simply because they liked the names - well that's what I understood anyway.
So with that in mind and if William and Catherine stick with that name-choosing formula, the first name will be more traditional and the other names......well, anything goes I suppose! That hasn't helped has it!?
Old 04-22-2015, 01:45 PM
Aristocracy

Sorry for offtop but i sometimes just don't understand this tradition to give heirs only used before names. The first Cambridge child could have had an unique name, he could have been The First. Prince Arthur or Albert... But they choose only from previouse reighing monarchs' names.
And we can predict that George's own children will have names Charles, Henry, Elizabeth/Catherine, Edward and so on. Even James is unlikely.

Closed Thread