The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 12:01 AM
Imperial Majesty

Frederick would be interesting as George shares his name with the elder son of The Duke of Kent and Frederick, of course, is that name of Prince Michael's son. Charles linked his sons to the Gloucester branch of the family (accidentally or deliberately I don't know but I suspect with William deliberately) with the names of William and Henry and Frederick and George would be similar links - again accidentally or deliberately to the Kent's. Of course Frederick is also the name of the Crown Prince of Denmark.

Personally I now think it is a girl and they will call her HRH Princess Diana Carole/Caroline. If born on the 21st Elizabeth would be in there as a third name and it on the 23rd I could see Georgina or Georgiana as a link to St George's day - now the 25th could see Matilda/Sheila/Kiwi/some other clearly NZ name as a tribute to the 1000s of Aussies and NZer's who served.

The 25th is the 100th anniversary of the allied invasion of Turkey and thus called ANZAC Day down under.

Old 04-19-2015, 12:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

I'm still pretty certain on Matilda if it's a girl. My most, eh, out-there guess for a girl would probably be Isabella – that would also be nice since it has roots in Elizabeth. But my main guess is still Matilda. And then I'm a bit on the edge about Eleanor.

As for a boy, I've been thinking a bit about David and Edmund (with a clear preference to the latter but a feeling that the former is more likely), maybe Thomas, and then perhaps Oliver if they want to be real edgy

Old 04-19-2015, 12:04 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think Matilda is nice but highly unlikely.

Alice is top choice for a girl for a reason- very likely.

Adelaide is probably not likely, but I like it a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 04-19-2015, 12:10 AM
Heir Presumptive

I have been wondering if Helena will make an appearance, or perhaps Augusta. Not my favorites but still BRF names.
Old 04-19-2015, 01:01 AM
Imperial Majesty

Adelaide would be another choice if the 25th is the date - a reference back to a lovely Queen of the UK AND a link to Australia as the baby would be born on the 100th anniversary of Australia Day.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:02 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
I really don't see why ever the Queen would interfere with what they're naming their child.
I agree. I think she would offer her advice if she thought a name might be problematic*, like any mum or grandma does.
I feel sure that's all she did with the Yorks.

*like "Prince Albert"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda View Post
That has always seemed to me to be an American thing. Along with the numbers because the same names have been used down several generations.
The numbering is certainly an American custom. However the use of the same name is not. This was common in the UK and Ireland for many generations, although currently not popular.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:55 AM
Serene Highness

Wasen't it Prince Charles wanted to name of the boys Albert? Or was it Alfred?
Old 04-19-2015, 09:54 AM
Heir Apparent

I heard it was Arthur.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:20 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC View Post
I'm hoping it's not one of the really old royal names like Albert, Arthur, Alfred that aren't so popular nowadays.

Googling royal names I like Stephen, Edmund, Adrian, David, Nicholas (perhaps too Russian) for boys. I did like Richard but the reburial etc. has been a bit much.
Girls: Amelia, Helena, Alice, Emma, Sophia. Just adding to the mix Mariella and Cecilia.

I find your logic peculiar. Arthur is a very popular name, we have Arthur Chatto and Arthur in William's name to think of probably just two. Albert is a very significant name in the BRF.

You say you don't want old royal names, but you like Edmund (which makes me think of Narnia), David and Nicholas some of the oldest royal names there are.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:30 AM
Nobility

"Princess Cecilia" sounds like a pit full of snakes. Someone with a lisp would have no chance with that.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I find your logic peculiar. Arthur is a very popular name, we have Arthur Chatto and Arthur in William's name to think of probably just two. Albert is a very significant name in the BRF.

You say you don't want old royal names, but you like Edmund (which makes me think of Narnia), David and Nicholas some of the oldest royal names there are.
You seem to take pleasure in critiquing, criticizing and putting down the posts of others in general - I don't tend to see much else from you.

Why not just offer your own suggestions and leave other people alone.

Just a thought.
Old 04-19-2015, 02:17 PM
Heir Apparent

I like the idea of Helena, isn't it one of Eugenie's middle names? I hope the child doesn't get Elizabeth as a middle name as so many of the family have it as a middle name. (Anne, Zara, Beatrice, Louise and Isla to name a few.) I know it's a family name and it's a nod to the Queen, but there are so many other names out there to choose from.
Old 04-19-2015, 02:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC View Post
I'm hoping it's not one of the really old royal names like Albert, Arthur, Alfred that aren't so popular nowadays.
I agree; those names seem so dated to me. Of course, everything old is new again, so they may become trendy once more.

Actually anything William and Kate choose will probably become trendy.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:23 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I agree; those names seem so dated to me. Of course, everything old is new again, so they may become trendy once more.

Actually anything William and Kate choose will probably become trendy.
Those names are already popular in the UK, as was George. W&K set no trend with George.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:30 PM
Royal Highness

I think that all the bookies are silly for wagering money on it being a girl named Alice. Wasn't everyone convinced that George was going to be a girl, too?

I'm always changing my mind about what I think it will be and what I think they will name it! I want it so badly to be a girl, but I actually would put money on it being another boy.

If it's a girl, I think they'll go with something classic, like they did with George. We haven't had anyone in the immediate family named Victoria in a while, so that might be nice. I could also see them going with something that isn't particularly trendy, but actually making it trendy- like Helena. I think that some version of "Carole" or Caroline will be in the name as well. I don't think they'll include Diana. Too much baggage with that name; lots of pressure for the little girl to live up to. Victoria is so far in memory that there's not the same pressure associated with it. Diana is still in the very recent past and is still so loved, controversial, etc.

If it's a boy, which I think that it will be, I wouldn't be surprised if they chose Arthur. It's one of Charles's and William's middle names, and "George and Arthur" sound like a good pairing of brothers! I could perhaps also see them going with Philip. Middle names are trickier. I think with George they chose one name that they liked (Alexander) and one of William's middle names (Louis). If that's the case, they may choose one name that they like- who knows what that will be!- and one family name. Family names: Philip, Arthur (if neither of those are used as the first name), David, Henry, James, Michael, Edward. Maybe something surprising, such as Frederick, Andrew, or Christian.

I'm also guessing that they will be using three names, since that's how it was with George.

OK- so now my final guesses, since baby will most likely be born within the next week or two:

Girl: Victoria Elizabeth Caroline or Helena Elizabeth Caroline

Boy: Arthur Philip David or Philip Arthur David
Old 04-19-2015, 03:38 PM
Serene Highness

Frederick...like I said earlier it is an almost perfect name for a little prince but it occurs to me George and Fred will never live down the Harry Potter association will they?
Old 04-19-2015, 03:45 PM
Royal Highness

girl: Diana - Elizabeth

boy: Albert - Arthur
Old 04-19-2015, 03:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
Frederick...like I said earlier it is an almost perfect name for a little prince but it occurs to me George and Fred will never live down the Harry Potter association will they?

Plus there is William and Charles so. Only missing Percy, Ron and Ginny for all the Weasleys kid. There is Harry too.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 04-19-2015, 04:04 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
Yeah, but.. William and Kate like Harry Potter, don't they? No, I don't think this baby will be Fred. Ronald and percy, fortunately are not royal names. Ginny... well she was Ginevra, an ancient but not suitable name.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:13 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
I like the idea of Helena, isn't it one of Eugenie's middle names? I hope the child doesn't get Elizabeth as a middle name as so many of the family have it as a middle name. (Anne, Zara, Beatrice, Louise and Isla to name a few.) I know it's a family name and it's a nod to the Queen, but there are so many other names out there to choose from.
Yes, Eugenie's full name is Eugenie Victoria Helena. I love Helena, and Princess Helena of Cambridge sounds fantastic. I can't remember if I've suggested it for Baby Cambridge No. Two yet, though I do remember it being one of my predictions for George, had he been a girl.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Closed Thread