Possible Names for the 2nd Child of the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I see kate honouring her parents so I expect Carole or Michael as middle names.

I don't expect diana to feature in the names though I'd love diana to be tgere

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

If it's a girl it would be like :
Diana Elizabeth Carole
and if it's a boy :
Edward ( name of godparents ).

I really do hope that 'Diana' is not included if it is a girl, it was mentioned when DofCa was expecting George that one of their children could include the name Diana, I think that would be nice - I just think it is too soon to use that name :(

Whenever I think of royal baby names I always think of regnal numbers. Even though George will hopefully become the monarch it is always a possibility that a sibling could become the monarch and it also feels appropriate to name a royal baby after a previous monarch.

It seems like Kate and Wills want to go with the safe option, with George being a safe name as it doesn't clash with the English or Scottish regnal numbers, as there have only been Georges after England and Scotland united. The only other two 'safe' boys names are Charles (as there have only been Charleses after the union as well) and John (there's been one King John in both Scotland and England, pre-union). If not, then maybe it would appropriate to give a boy a Scottish name to honour the Scots given the current situation in Scotland.

So… my idea for a boy is:

John Henry Francis

I think John is good because Jack is a diminutive of John so he could be known as Prince Jack (like how Prince Harry is actually called Prince Henry). Henry is to honour his brother and Francis is Kate's father, which is also appropriate as Diana's middle name was Frances. I think if he is called Henry, then Harry will be a godfather as it's traditional to name the child after its godparents.

While I love the name John, it is actually considered to be an "unlucky" name in the British Royal Family. There was a King John in the Middle Ages who was considered a terrible king, and other "Johns" in the family have met tragic ends. Prince Alexander John of Wales died a day after birth, and Prince John of Wales (the uncle of Queen Elizabeth) was epileptic and died at age 13. There are rumors that Diana had wanted to name one of her boys John, after her father, but couldn't because of the bad connotation associated with it in the family.

imo the name Diana would better be saved for the next generation (so for instance when P.George has children).

I would never have guessed George for their oldest, so i'm probably wrong again, but it would be cool if the named a girl Harriet (after P.Harry ofcourse ;) ) or Alexandrine if they want to use a "real" royal name.
For a boy: i'm going with Albert (just because it's a real family name and hasn't been used in a while)

Boy - Again traditional!

Edward
Henry
William
James
Philip
Michael
Charles

Girl
Charlotte
Margaret
Elizabeth
Anne

I feel strongly it's a girl;

Alexandra Elizabeth Mary or just Alexandra Elizabeth

P.S. you heard it here first

I feel strongly it's a girl;

Alexandra Elizabeth Mary or just Alexandra Elizabeth

P.S. you heard it here first

But Alexander is one of George's names

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

imo the name Diana would better be saved for the next generation (so for instance when P.George has children).

I would never have guessed George for their oldest, so i'm probably wrong again, but it would be cool if the named a girl Harriet (after P.Harry ofcourse ;) ) or Alexandrine if they want to use a "real" royal name.
For a boy: i'm going with Albert (just because it's a real family name and hasn't been used in a while)

Albert has been used in middle name capacity recently -both Andrew and Harry has Albert as one of their middle names. I find it interesting the people named Albert that came to the throne didn't choose that name to reign as.

Albert has been used in middle name capacity recently -both Andrew and Harry has Albert as one of their middle names. I find it interesting the people named Albert that came to the throne didn't choose that name to reign as.

Queen Victoria does not want any of her Descendants to reign as Albert. She may be dead but I think The Royals are going to stick to her orders on that one.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

While I love the name John, it is actually considered to be an "unlucky" name in the British Royal Family. There was a King John in the Middle Ages who was considered a terrible king, and other "Johns" in the family have met tragic ends. Prince Alexander John of Wales died a day after birth, and Prince John of Wales (the uncle of Queen Elizabeth) was epileptic and died at age 13. There are rumors that Diana had wanted to name one of her boys John, after her father, but couldn't because of the bad connotation associated with it in the family.

Yeah, I think it's a shame that it has unlucky connotations. So while I think John would be a good name for the baby, I think it's unlikely it will be chosen. I think it seems silly to think that because you've named a baby a certain name it will mean bad luck just because they have that name. But then again, you don't to be doing anything negative towards your own child...

Whilst I adore the idea of a Queen Isolde, I doubt that it will be chosen. From your suggestions, I think Helena, Charlotte and Caroline are the most likely. I think if they chose Adele or Emilia, they would most likely be spelt Adela or Amelia. I would love it if Adela could be revived, it's an elegant name and has connections with the BRF already (albeit long ago) as there was an Adela of Normandy, who was also known as Adela of England, in medieval times. Jonathan is a nice name too, but I doubt it will be considered or chosen as it has the "John" sound, which is an unlucky name for the royals due to Prince John, as well as Prince Alexander John, who both died young.

I love the idea of reviving old royal names - Adela is a lovely name.

Marion and Florence are to "modern" names, not well know in the royal house.

Francis ? Kates father ? Is his name not Michael, is he ?

My personal favorite name for a boy is Michael. I don't think James - there are already 2 in the family. For a girl I would guess Elizabeth as one of the names. As to others I think we'd be surprised by their choices.

Queen Victoria does not want any of her Descendants to reign as Albert. She may be dead but I think The Royals are going to stick to her orders on that one.

Is that true? She named her eldest son Albert Edward and IIRC she had fully intended for him to use the full name, but Bertie himself declined using Albert to not "undervalue" the name.

She reportedly also wanted all of her female descendants to bear the name Victoria somewhere in their name and they've clearly not stuck to that, so while I think it's unlikely that there will be a King Albert in the near future, I don't think you can count on the royals sticking to Victoria's demands.

Possible names for the 2nd child of the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge

Is that true? She named her eldest son Albert Edward and IIRC she had fully intended for him to use the full name, but Bertie himself declined using Albert to not "undervalue" the name.

She reportedly also wanted all of her female descendants to bear the name Victoria somewhere in their name and they've clearly not stuck to that, so I don't think you can count on that.

Princess Beatrice Middle name is Victoria

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

:previous: Actually, that would be Princess Eugenie (Victoria Helena) of York. She is also the first British Princess since Princess (Victoria Alexandra Alice) Mary, Princess Royal and Countess of Harewood, to have been given that name.

I guess my choice for a name for a daughter the first time around is out. I wanted Georgianna. Now that would be too weird to have two Georgies in the family.

I'm going to predict that if its a girl this time around, she'll be known as Grace Mary Elizabeth. George and Gracie make a good couple. :D

For a boy, I wouldn't be surprised if the name was Charles Henry Philip.

Not to mention the fact that the baby's maternal uncle is called James. I agree, James is out of the picture as a first name although it would have been lovely with George.

It would have gone very well with George. I do wish Edward and Sophie had chosen to use Alexander as his Christian name instead,or even Theo (though that is a bit too "out there" for the Royals.) They did get some stick at the time as people said they should not have been "allowed to use the name James" as their son would never be King and it was too "Royal".

I am still sticking to my previous guesses that I had for George.

Arthur for a boy and Charlotte for a girl.

How is James too royal when there have been more Henrys, Edwards and Georges? There also not a lot of Prince James either post Glorious Revolution.

Not that we will ever know, WK must of had a girls name picked out in addition to George's name because they didn't know the sex. Will they bring that name back out if this royal baby is a girl?

How is James too royal when there have been more Henrys, Edwards and Georges? There also not a lot of Prince James either post Glorious Revolution.

Not that we will ever know, WK must of had a girls name picked out in addition to George's name because they didn't know the sex. Will they bring that name back out if this royal baby is a girl?

James was a Royal name long before we had George's, but like you said has not been used for a long time. It was last used in the 1500/1600's I believe and there were 7 King James', though admittedly 5 of them were of Scotland. It was said to be "bad luck", like the name John, and hadn't been used a lot until it was used for Viscount Severn. At the time though people had said that the name should have been kept and given to William to his children as his children were going to much more "Royal".

Last edited:
Now the fun is about to begin ....
Luckily she has her nanny,poor thing,,,I don't envy her,running around ragged..I'm tired just thinking about it..the royals have them,nurture them and the nanny does a lot..

I would think that the only name that William has dibs on is Elizabeth. Peter could have used it as a first name for Isla especially since she was born in the diamond jubilee year but its only a middle name for her.

It seems that the royals tend not to use a name if its already in use by someone in the family . Like Harry isn't going to name his son George. The only exceptions are probably Philip and Elizabeth since they won't be a great overlap in lifespans

Last edited:
James was a Royal name long before we had George's, but like you said has not been used for a long time. It was last used in the 1500/1600's I believe and there were 7 King James', though admittedly 5 of them were of Scotland. It was said to be "bad luck", like the name John, and hadn't been used a lot until it was used for Viscount Severn. At the time though people had said that the name should have been kept and given to William to his children as his children were going to much more "Royal".

I know that's how I felt. I really like the name James, and Prince James sounds nice.
Edward and Sophie could have given their son any name, but there are so few regnal names.

On the other hand, I really dislike the name Albert so I hope they don't go with that! It sounds so nerdy.

Have the betting sites started up yet? :D

I know that's how I felt. I really like the name James, and Prince James sounds nice.
Edward and Sophie could have given their son any name, but there are so few regnal names.

On the other hand, I really dislike the name Albert so I hope they don't go with that! It sounds so nerdy.

Have the betting sites started up yet? :D

Technically little James is HRH Prince James...I agree though that it does sound nice and I wish he was allowed to use the style. I do prefer Alexander to James, but apparently Edward and Sophie chose James and Alexander as they were two names they liked.

I would think that the only name that William has dibs on is Elizabeth. Peter could have used it as a first name for Isla especially since she was born in the diamond jubilee year but its only a middle name for her.

It seems that the royals tend not to use a name if its already in use by someone in the family . Like Harry isn't going to name his son George. The only exceptions are probably Philip and Elizabeth since they won't be a great overlap in lifespans

There were 3 Prince Edward's at one point, although one was known as David. I do think times have changed in that sense - the family will share middle names (2 of the Queen's grandchildren have Philip and 3 of the girls have Elizabeth and there are even two Alexander's as middle names), but I think the time of sharing first names is over.

Last edited:
For some reason I think this baby will be a girl. I am going to predict her name will be Princess Charlotte Elizabeth Victoria.
I really don't think they will use Diana or any part of her name for their daughter though Harry might in the future.

I'm sticking w/my picks (or slight variations of) the first time around:

Philip Charles Michael Albert
Elizabeth Frances Alexandra

Whenever I think of royal baby names I always think of regnal numbers. Even though George will hopefully become the monarch it is always a possibility that a sibling could become the monarch and it also feels appropriate to name a royal baby after a previous monarch.

It seems like Kate and Wills want to go with the safe option, with George being a safe name as it doesn't clash with the English or Scottish regnal numbers, as there have only been Georges after England and Scotland united. The only other two 'safe' boys names are Charles (as there have only been Charleses after the union as well) and John (there's been one King John in both Scotland and England, pre-union). If not, then maybe it would appropriate to give a boy a Scottish name to honour the Scots given the current situation in Scotland.

So… my idea for a boy is:

John Henry Francis

I think John is good because Jack is a diminutive of John so he could be known as Prince Jack (like how Prince Harry is actually called Prince Henry). Henry is to honour his brother and Francis is Kate's father, which is also appropriate as Diana's middle name was Frances. I think if he is called Henry, then Harry will be a godfather as it's traditional to name the child after its godparents.

And for a girl the 'safe' options are Victoria, Anne and Mary. Likewise, if one wanted to honour the Scots, the only other Scottish Queen (in her own right) was Margaret.

My idea for a girl is:

Victoria Elizabeth Diana

Victoria was such a well remembered and popular monarch it seems like a good choice. It also seems almost disrespectful not to a name a girl Elizabeth when the Queen is still alive. Elizabeth is also the middle name of both Kate and her mother. The reason for Diana is obvious and it seems like fitting tribute.

…I think I spend too much time thinking about this...

I agree with you about it being politic to have a strong Scottish connection, so my first thought was Robert, after the Founder of the Stewart Dynasty.

Who is the 3rd Prince Edward? There was Albert Edward (Bertie -EdVII) Edward (David- Ed VIII) at the same time. Albert Victor aka Eddy was dead by then.

There is already a Scottish link with George's middle name of Alexander which was the name of several Scottish Kings.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom