The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 10:52 AM
Courtier

I don't think members of the BRF gave a s*** what other royals do

Old 10-19-2014, 11:19 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Like they did with Prince George's names, I think William and Catherine will go for something traditional within the RF, so I doubt, whilst it is an interesting honour name and I quite like it myself, we won't be seeing a Princess Valerie or a Prince Ronald. Though Valerie has been used within the royal circles before, as there was an Archduchess Valerie of Austria, but I guess we're talking about the BRF and not the former Austrian Imperial Family.

I'm still betting on a Prince Arthur or a Princess Victoria of Cambridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenei View Post
I would love to see Mary Elizabeth Victoria.
I adore the name Mary. It has so much history and a lovely, strong classic. I also love your prediction of Mary Elizabeth Victoria - it's very similar to one of my own, which was Mary Elizabeth Catherine Victoria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
It might; I've thought that it would be unlikely for them to name a daughter Eleanor, even though it has been the name of several queens.

(Simply because so many young royals in Europe currently have variations of that name).
Whilst I'm loving the sound of a Princess Eleanor of Cambridge, I too don't think William and Catherine will choose it as there are lots of other little royals in Europe who are called some variant of Eleanor. There's two Leonores (the Duchess of Gotland in Sweden and Princess Laurentien's daughter in the Netherlands), one Leonor (the Princess of Asturias) and one Eleonore (Princess Eleonore of Belgium). I think Albert and Charlene will go for something French albeit most of the family have English sounding names, so I don't particularly think their choices will affect William and Catherine's choices.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 10-19-2014, 11:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

Weren't there rumours that Alexander was Catherine's favourite name and that that's where it came from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
It might; I've thought that it would be unlikely for them to name a daughter Eleanor, even though it has been the name of several queens.

(Simply because so many young royals in Europe currently have variations of that name).
Honestly, I don't think that would bother them. I don't think e.g. Crown Princess Victoria would name a daughter Ingrid because she's so close to the Norwegian Crown Princely couple and godmother to Ingrid Alexandra. However, as far as we know, William and Catherine are not particularly close to any other royal couples and then why should they care whether there's another little princess named Eleanor (or a variation of that) elsewhere in the world? If Eleanor is the name they like, I'm pretty sure they'll name their daughter that regardless and I completely understand that. I wouldn't want to scrap my favourite name for my child just because some other people I barely know have used it before.

Old 10-19-2014, 11:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

True! Many families think nothing of using the same name. For example in my husband's family within the first cousins there are 5 James, though some are called Jamie or Jay on a daily basis to avoid confusion. My husband was 'Little' Jim at 50 because his uncle Jim was still alive. 'Little' Jim was a foot taller than 'Big' Jim, too!
Old 10-19-2014, 11:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

But Eleanor of Aquitaine (who I am currently reading about after a long absence) is a formidable woman to be named after. Remarkable personage.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

Imo indeed they won't dismiss a name because it's already been used by someone, unless it's someone really close, like for instance if P.Harry already had a kid, they might not name the baby the same as that kid, but i don't think they will look further in family or work (or royal) circles.
(In my family there are several cousins with the same first name, all named after their grandfather or grandmother (as is tradition here)...)
Old 10-19-2014, 09:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
You can also argue George is for George VI - the Queen's beloved father and one of Charles's names. Alexander is the male version of Alexandria which is one of the Queen's middle names. Louis is one of William's names and the late Lord Mountbatten's name.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Yes, I think that's who they honored in their choice of names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
I don't think members of the BRF gave a s*** what other royals do
I completely agree - the only names off the table are the current Windsors with the exception of Elizabeth, Philip and Charles.

If it's a girl, I think many people will be shocked if Elizabeth and Diana are not in there - perhaps not as a first name, but certainly 2nd and 3rd.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

^ Exactly. In no particular order:
Victoria
Elizabeth
Diana
Charlotte

Though a first name of Elizabeth would have all the 'drawbacks' that the anti- Diana batch sounds at the use of Diana...it invites comparisons to a present lady who casts a long shadow.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:38 PM
Heir Apparent

This baby isn't likely to be Queen so there won't be direct comparison with the Queen. They could also use Francis which was Diana's middle name and Mike's middle name is Frances. If the baby comes near the Queen's birthday of Apr 21 and its a girl. It's going be likely that Elizabeth is somewhere in her names.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:12 PM
Royal Highness

If it is a girl I don't see them using Elizabeth and Diana together.

Elizabeth Frances Catherine or
Alexandra Elizabeth Frances

This is a royal baby and if something happen to George then this baby will be monarch. Although there might be leeway, in naming baby two, they will give the baby several traditional 'royal' names.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Why wouldn't they use Elizabeth and Diana together?

Old 10-22-2014, 09:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
But Eleanor of Aquitaine (who I am currently reading about after a long absence) is a formidable woman to be named after. Remarkable personage.
Which would give us how many little Eleanors, Elenores, Leonors in Europe?
Old 10-22-2014, 09:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
probably about 1/2 million or so.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Not many named Eleanor (the name itself), or am I mistaken? Princess Eleanor sounds so very regal. And mature. Anyway, a long-shot perhaps.

I am thinking that the Monaco birth, which happens earlier, might impact name choices. I know there are some who feel the BRF (England) goes it's own way with nary a nod to the continent (shades of High Middle Ages thinking!) but I think there is some consideration.

I was struck that Chelsea Clinton named her daughter Charlotte after meeting with Charlene at an event. I wonder if names were talked about.

Well, we'll see. Learning the name is as much fun as learning the sex of the child.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:33 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
Why wouldn't they use Elizabeth and Diana together?
Well.....

I think if it's girl they will name her after the Queen as the baby will be born in April and 2015 is the year the Queen surpasses Victoria as the longest reigning British monarch.

They may give a nod to both women and name the baby Elizabeth Victoria
Old 10-22-2014, 11:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
I think if it's girl they will name her after the Queen as the baby will be born in April and 2015 is the year the Queen surpasses Victoria as the longest reigning British monarch.

They may give a nod to both women and name the baby Elizabeth Victoria
Yours is the most persuasive reasoning I have read. Makes perfect sense!
Old 10-23-2014, 12:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

Notice how we are all leaning towards girls' names. Do we all have that same gut feeling, or are we just out of boy talk?
Old 10-23-2014, 12:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
Notice how we are all leaning towards girls' names. Do we all have that same gut feeling, or are we just out of boy talk?

I think people were mostly leaning towards girls names with George too.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:45 AM
Heir Apparent

People wanted George to be a girl because of the new law where a girl wouldn't have been bumped by a brother. I think now for this one, the thought is there is a boy already lets have a girl now.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:03 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
This baby isn't likely to be Queen so there won't be direct comparison with the Queen. They could also use Francis which was Diana's middle name and Mike's middle name is Frances. If the baby comes near the Queen's birthday of Apr 21 and its a girl. It's going be likely that Elizabeth is somewhere in her names.

Francis is male, Frances is female.