Possible Names for the 2nd Child of the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes she could or she may not.Edward might raise objection for all we know and she tends to give in to her kids more than is wise at times.

Where did the idea that the Queen has to approve of the name come from?

Even if that the case, The Queen could still approve of the name James being used for William second son.

I've read many, many times that the monarch has some say in the names of each HRH.

Victoria - the ultimate control freak - demanding that all her descendants be named in honor of herself or Albert

Speaking of Victoria, George IV, who was regent, would not approve any name for her except for the then outlandish Alexandrina Victoria

George V would not approve of "Ann" for Margaret

Not sure this is true; the Queen would not approve of "Annabel" for Beatrice

On that note , is it just the Brit monarchs who have that option?

The current Queen has been pretty hands off with the lives of her grandkids. Peter, Zara and William all lived with their future spouses before marriage. So I don't see the Queen rejecting any name that William and Kate come up with for their second child. I also don't see Prince Aston Villa Rules of Cambridge in the future ?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Peter and Zara are not in the same royal league so to speak as William. William and Catherine are conservative enough and respectfull enough not to name a daughter Arwen or a boy Moon boots to where she would have to step in anyhow. But if she felt the need I bet she would.

I honestly believe they will choose a traditional royal name that has not been used recently such as Arthur,Alfred or Mary, Charlotte ,Eleanor.

Last edited:
The current Queen has been pretty hands off with the lives of her grandkids. Peter, Zara and William all lived with their future spouses before marriage. So I don't see the Queen rejecting any name that William and Kate come up with for their second child. I also don't see Prince Aston Villa Rules of Cambridge in the future ?

I fail to see how Peter, Zara, or William living with their partners before marriage shows that the Queen is hands off in their lives....

It's said that following the divorces of Charles, Anne, and Andrew the Queen declared that her children and grandchildren would have to have lengthy courtships before she would allow them to marry. Her grandchildren living with their future spouses can actually be seen in line with that.

I would think those whack marriages made her be more watchful and weary of who her children and senior royal grandchildren want as mates.

I fail to see how Peter, Zara, or William living with their partners before marriage shows that the Queen is hands off in their lives....

It's said that following the divorces of Charles, Anne, and Andrew the Queen declared that her children and grandchildren would have to have lengthy courtships before she would allow them to marry. Her grandchildren living with their future spouses can actually be seen in line with that.

That was why Edward and Sophie waited for nearly 6 years to marry - the longest courtship at that time, until William and Catherine (though they broke up during their long courtship I believe...). Sarah Ferguson said that that was the reason she and Andrew divorced.

Both Diana and I and our mistakes all those years ago have meant that Katherine and Sophie (Prince Edward's wife) have gotten it right. Sophie lived with Prince Edward for six years and Katherine lived with William for nine so they know. Actually maybe there's more pressure on them to get it right because they know.

- Sarah Interview 2011

Anywho, back on topic.

Second sons of the Monarch (or Monarch's to be) also seem to have Albert in their name. George VI (Albert Frederik Arthur George), Prince Andrew Albert Christian Edward and Prince Henry Albert Charles David.

Maybe the next child if it is a boy will have Albert in his name.

For a girl -

Charlotte Eleanor Victoria

For a boy -

Alexander Charles Philip

I know Alexander is one of George's middle names, but he's not known by that name, so there would be no confusion.

For a boy - Phillip definitely. I think " Philip" will be included anyway.

Joan is very pretty. So is Jane but George and Jane together would make people think of the Jetsons��

Lady Nimue, Princess Joan is an excellent choice!
Princess Joan, daughter of King John of England became Queen Joan of Scotland from 1221 to 1238.

Joan is very pretty.

Thank you both! :flowers: It's also very unique, in a royal sense, but a very friendly name, with some excellent connotations (Joan of Arc). (The diminutives are cute: Joni, Joanie, Jo). Princess Joan. It could fly.

Isabella and Mary are in the same light.Marjorie is a lovely name though I know they won't use it.

Since William likes Alice I'll go with that
Princess Alice

Joan of Arc helped to beat the English and lose much of their possessions in France. Good name if you are French, probably not so good if English.

I view both Joan and Marjorie as rather dated and hard to imagine on a baby born in 2015, which is why I don't think they will be chosen. But, perhaps William and Catherine might surprise us, and I think that any name they choose for their second child will probably instantly be boosted up in the popularity charts. Having said that, I still can't really see them happening and I think the names of British Royal Children are pretty predictable (IIRC, lots of us predicted George for the little Prince and got it correct).

Alice is an interesting suggestion, I'd never thought of it for Baby Cambridge No. Two but I seem to remember guessing it for Prince George, had he been a girl. It is also the name of Prince Philip's mother so could be a more creative way to honour him. It's the middle name of both Princess Anne and Lady Louise Windsor, as well as being the name of one of Queen Victoria's children.

Ok, My guesses with explanations.

Girl: Charlotte Elizabeth Frances

3 names, just like George

Charlotte: A female version of Charles. Continues the Carol, Catherine first letter. It's also Pippas middle name and the name of a former Princess of Wales
Elizabeth: The Queen + the middlename of Carol and Catherine
Frances: Dianas middlename from her mothers name, Also female version of Mikes middlename Francis.

For a boy was harder for me....I think the middlenames will be Philip and Francis... But the first name is more difficult. Maybe Arthur... Yeah, let's go with Arthur.

Boy: Arthur Philip Francis

Arthur: Because I can't think of another :p
Philip: In honor of Williams grandfather Prince Philip. Also a male version of Philippa, Catherines sister
Francis: Mikes middlename and the male version of Dianas middlename Frances.

Last edited:
Ok, My guesses with explanations.

Girl: Charlotte Elizabeth Frances

3 names, just like George

Charlotte: A female version of Charles. Continues the Carol, Catherine first letter. It's also Pippas middle name and the name of a former Princess of Wales
Elizabeth: The Queen + the middlename of Carol and Catherine
Frances: Dianas middlename from her mothers name, Also female version of Mikes middlename Francis.

I have to say Princess Charlotte has really grown on me, though Princess Mary is very sweet. :flowers: However, Princess Charlotte feels so classy and distinctive.

Whatever the name, especially if a girl, it is a name we will hear often as she grows and starts to be a fashion icon (as she must, as a girl, become, it is her destiny). Princess Charlotte seems like someone who will wow the crowds. ;)

I have to say Princess Charlotte has really grown on me, though Princess Mary is very sweet. :flowers: However, Princess Charlotte feels so classy and distinctive.

Whatever the name, especially if a girl, it is a name we will hear often as she grows and starts to be a fashion icon (as she must, as a girl, become, it is her destiny). Princess Charlotte seems like someone who will wow the crowds. ;)
I really like Charlotte. It sounds classic but not outdated. Girly but not sugar-sweet. I actually really hope for a Charlotte. Although I have no doubt they will pick a good name!

I view both Joan and Marjorie as rather dated and hard to imagine on a baby born in 2015,

A lot of names are out of fashion but the minute a royal or celebrity uses the name for their child it is the height of fashion.
IMO George was rather old fashioned at the time but it is now quite popular (at least here in Australia).

A lot of names are out of fashion but the minute a royal or celebrity uses the name for their child it is the height of fashion.
IMO George was rather old fashioned at the time but it is now quite popular (at least here in Australia).

In the UK George is always popular. The traditional names are almost always in the top 10-20 names. The royal names feature frequently (George, William, Harry/Henry, James and Edward are all still used a lot,particularly Harry and James).

Betting Odds - :flowers:

LINK: Royal Specials Betting

Elizabeth is at number one 7/2

Charlotte is at number two 6/1 :in_love:

Philip is at number three 10/1

Victoria is at number four 10/1

Arthur is at number four 12/1

Mary is at number four 12/1

Alice is at number four 14/1

James is at number four 14/1

Alexandra is at number four 14/1

What about Thomas for a boy?
It's been used by royalty in the past and is a classic name.

Daughter: Mary Anne Victoria Elizabeth (former reigning queens)

Son: Edward James Henry Richard (honors both uncles)

Edward and William are not particularly close and have indeed had bad blood in the past so that will never happen.

have indeed had bad blood in the past so that will never happen

Please elaborate, and quote your sources, as i've never heard tell of such 'bad blood' ?

Yea, I've never heard any reports or suggestions that William and Edward have a bad relationship- and Kate seems very close to Sophie

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

When William was in university a strict privacy agreement in place so he could live normally as possible. Edward violated that by filming him anyhow for his production company sneaking his people in If I remember right.William was livid which of course made Charles angry. Shortly after Edward stepped down or was 'stepped down'

Last edited:
That small incident was years ago and forgotten. Sophie is now quite a favorite of both Kate and William. William also seen smiling and happy to be in the company of Edward. Queen extremely happy having Sophie as daughter-in-law. Life heals all silly mistakes.

If a girl, I would love to see Elizabeth, Carol, Victoria, Diana
If a boy, Philip, Michael, Charles, Henry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom