The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-04-2012, 04:12 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenora View Post
The media reports that Pippa is dating George Percy, so she will be a duchess. I believe if that's true, it proves clearly that Pippa is a social climber.
From commoner to peeress definately is a social climb. So if Pippa marries Earl Percy, she climbs up the social ladder, that's a fact.

But the question is: what do you mean by "social climber" - is this negative for you? IMHO all our life we try to better ourselves, so why should Pippa's climb be negative? I personally wish her luck in finding personal happiness with a man she loves.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

Well, for me it's not a really negative "to be a social climber". But actually it was a little strange for me that all the apparent changes came after Kate's wedding. After a separation , people usually tend to stay more time alone and then find their soul mate. But I agree that a friendship could be a solid basis for an eventual marriage,it keeps sometimes a couple stronger than in a love match.
But by reading some comments in DM and other papers, I was astonished by the negative reaction of people in case Pippa becomes one day a Duchess.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:59 AM
Nobility

An unconfirmed rumor in "The Sun", one of the tabloids best known for rumors ... and copied by other tabloids ... and already Pippa is being touted as a social climber who is going to have a marriage of convenience with Percy, because we don't see any chemistry between them. She's also somehow changed since the wedding, when no one knew much (if anything) about her before the wedding. Interesting.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:00 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Actually we knew a lot about Pippa before the wedding, we just see her in the newspapers more often now.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

I've read stories confirming AND denying Pippa's romantic evolvement with George Percy, what to believe?
Old 02-04-2012, 10:03 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Actually we knew a lot about Pippa before the wedding, we just see her in the newspapers more often now.
We don't know much about her now. We see pictures of her, and rumors about who she's dating (or not), that she's writing a book. That doesn't say much about her as a person. It only tells us a precious few things that she's involved in ... or not.

The Daily Mail is already claiming doubt over the rumors about her and Percy:

Quote:
"Spokesmen for both families declined to comment publicly on the report, but a Royal source said this afternoon that the claims were 'unfounded'."

So it depends on which paper we choose to believe.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:35 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinrit View Post
We don't know much about her now.
Philippa Charlotte "Pippa" Middleton born 6 September 1983 in Reading, Berkshire, England. Pippa was first educated at St Andrew's School, Pangbourne, then at Downe House School, a girls' boarding school in Cold Ash, and finally at Marlborough College which she attended on a sports/all-rounder scholarship. She then followed her sister to higher education in Scotland, attending the University of Edinburgh to study English literature. There she shared a house with Lord Edward Innes-Ker, a son of the Duke of Roxburghe, and with Earl Percy, heir of the Duke of Northumberland. We also, know where she works on a daily basis, where and when she shops, who she is 'apparently' dating or not dating, where she goes on a night out etc.

- For me, that's a lot of things to know about somebody's 'sister'. I don't know that much about any other royals sister.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Philippa Charlotte "Pippa" Middleton born 6 September 1983 in Reading, Berkshire, England. Pippa was first educated at St Andrew's School, Pangbourne, then at Downe House School, a girls' boarding school in Cold Ash, and finally at Marlborough College which she attended on a sports/all-rounder scholarship. She then followed her sister to higher education in Scotland, attending the University of Edinburgh to study English literature. There she shared a house with Lord Edward Innes-Ker, a son of the Duke of Roxburghe, and with Earl Percy, heir of the Duke of Northumberland. We also, know where she works on a daily basis, where and when she shops, who she is 'apparently' dating or not dating, where she goes on a night out etc.

- For me, that's a lot of things to know about somebody's 'sister'. I don't know that much about any other royals sister.
With all due respect, that bit of information (while helpful) in the end is a shell....it doesn't say much about Pippa at all.

The same information could be about you, for example, but its doesn't tell me about you either. So you went the University of Edinburgh to study literature...who is your favorite author? Why did you pick that subject? What is the title of the book that treasure the most? What is your favorite color? What type of restuarants do you like to eat? What is your favorite food? If you had to pick your three favorite people, living or dead who would they be? Your three favorite places?

That bit of info that one can get on the web, in a magazine, etc. those are just facts. We don't know Pippa...we think we know her. You know she works at XXX, and she gets her coffee at YYY but is that her favorite spot to get coffee?Or maybe its just convenience, etc.

For the record, I don't know any of these answer nor to I care to. My point is that we have an idea of who Pippa is but unless you have carried on a coversation with her, or know someone who knows her (who isn't biased) none of us really know her. We know a public figure.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:52 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I'd be highly amused if we knew that information about Pippa seeing as I don't know that about anyone who does something for my country, let alone Pippa.
My point was, that we know this information about a private citizen who's done nothing but be her sister's bridesmaid at her wedding. Is that all you have to do these days to get a page on wikipedia? If so then myself and a lot of other people may well appear on wiki in the future.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I'd be highly amused if we knew that information about Pippa seeing as I don't know that about anyone who does something for my country, let alone Pippa.
My point was, that we know this information about a private citizen who's done nothing but be her sister's bridesmaid at her wedding. Is that all you have to do these days to get a page on wikipedia? If so then myself and a lot of other people may well appear on wiki in the future.
We live in age where people are famous for sex tapes and/or filiming reality shows showing them living their "lives" so the fact that she has a wikipedia page means nothing in the age of instant gratification.

And while you might not know anything about anyone who runs your country, I would hazard to guess that information is known to anyone who has read information about him.

Now if it was the old days and she appeared in an Encloypedia than they would mean something. Most likely she would just appeared in the Year in Review and that would have been it. She literally would have to accomplished something other than being a royal bridesmaid to appear in the Enclyopedia.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:13 AM
Nobility

Zonk has a good point. The information that we have about Pippa, I could easily get about my brand new next-door neighbor, since I know where he works. Almost everything we want to know about anyone is available on the Internet now. Getting back to the point ... we can't really make any judgments about Pippa, because though we know basic facts about her, we don't know her.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:21 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
For the record, I don't know any of these answer nor to I care to. My point is that we have an idea of who Pippa is but unless you have carried on a coversation with her, or know someone who knows her (who isn't biased) none of us really know her. We know a public figure.
Well, we know a little bit of her. She attended Marlborough not because her parents payed for her but because she was good enough in both school and sports to be offered a scholarship there. Marlborough is a well-known institution and surely they have more than enough applicants for such a scholarship, so to get one is no mean feat.

Then she went on to Edinburgh to study literature and did not go to London to study something more glamourous. I have no idea how it is in Britain but in Germany if you study literature science you are either a very bookish person or want to become a teacher or author/publisher/editor. Normally children of culturally interested parents chose a topic like that.

So she seems to be an intelligent, well-mannered and culturally interested young lady. For me that's enough to know about her. Ah, and her sister seems to really like her - otherwise she would never have allowed her this pride of place on her wedding.

The fact that we don't know so many things about her is another good sign: she surely knows how to choose loyal friends.

So that's quite some points that would make her a good wife for anybody. IMHO, of course.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Now why would the Daily Mail say there are "royal sources" making statements on Pippa in that article when Pippa isn't royal? You have to consider the source itself.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:43 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

"royal sources" could stretch from royal biographers, news correspondents, a cleaning lady at BP wanting to boost her salary. The DM can twist words quite easily.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Indeed, which is why again these stories have to be taken with a grain of salt - considering the source.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:50 AM
Nobility

Choose which paper to believe. Who would have talked to The Daily Mail? Who would have talked to The Sun?

It doesn't say "a Royal" (though, don't forget, her sister is a Royal now) ... a royal souce could be anyone, and Pippa has been known to seek the advice of staff at Clarence House.

I'm not saying the rumor isn't true. It could well be so. I think I'm going to wait to see what develops, though. Neither The Daily Mail nor The Sun have stellar reputations for accuracy.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:29 AM
Heir Apparent

If Pippa is indeed dating George Percy, we'll eventually know the truth.

There's no real privacy in the days of the internet; someone will take a picture someplace and then the cat will be out of the bag.

(That is something that makes me doubt the story; if Pippa and George have been officially a couple since New Year's, how have they managed to keep it quiet until now?)
Old 02-05-2012, 10:57 AM
Heir Apparent

This is why I can't believe anything I'm reading lately; rumors and innuendos are constantly flying about and then they emanate from "sources." Again, I take these with as much a grain of salt as what comes out my salt shaker!
Old 02-05-2012, 11:22 AM
Serene Highness

I find the reports in the US of Pippa dating Earl Percy really funny because they keep mixing things up and saying that Carole will have two "princesses" in the family or two daughters marrying into "the aristocracy." Yes, I can see that the average non-royal watcher will think, "oh, they'll both be duchesses" and automatically think it's the must be same thing. Unfortunately, no one takes the 5 seconds to explain the difference between a royal, HRH duchess and a "regular," Her Grace, peeress. But none of the reports have failed to report that Pippa is dating "the heir to the Harry Potter castle"!
Old 02-05-2012, 11:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Indeed, why should truth get in the way of a good story?

Tags
duke and duchess of cambridge, kate middleton, new york, pippa middleton