General News for the Duchess of Cambridge 1: November 2010-February 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not usually comment on the paper, but I think they have a screw loose and take drugs to dream up this stuff about the royal family. The royal family hopefully gets a laugh out of this. I am sure it also makes them angry and the lengths this paper goes to in "dreaming up" these stories. Sorry paper. Sad people. Maybe they could be constructive for a change. That would be refreshing.

Personally I stopped buying any sort of 'news' sort of magazine when Diana was killed. I refuse to contribute monetarily to the people who send out the media to hound the rich and/or famous. I don't buy any sort of magazines anymore either.

LaRae

A brilliant article and Camilla makes some very good points about Catherine. Catherine has come a long way from being William's longtime girlfriend to now his wife, an HRH and mother. I think she's doing a great job so far, although should could be doing more though. I think Catherine & William's very slow (almost molasses like) progress to official duties is very frustrating for the press and even fellow royal watchers and I think it's what leads to a great deal of debates on the royal forums.

Crown Princess Mary of Denmark is also doing a great job in her royal role but she didn't get to where she is overnight. It took several years for Mary to build her official role to where it is today. The same goes to many of the other high profile princesses. The same can be said of Catherine's late mother-in-law, Diana. It took years for Diana to find her feet as the Princess of Wales and future Queen. She was great in her royal and probably would've done even more incredible things had she lived.

I think everyone just have to give Catherine time to really find her feet and her own voice within the royal family. She's just three years in, a mother for the first time and not second lady of the land yet. It truly takes time to get where Princess Anne, Crown Princess Mary and others are in their royal careers. None of it happens overnight and we all have to keep that in mind when it comes to HRH The Duchess of Cambridge.

Just be yourself: Why we need to see more of the REAL Kate Middleton-
Just be yourself: Why we need to see more of the REAL Kate Middleton | Royal | News | Daily Express

I enjoyed that article and agree with some of the points. The little flashes of Kate's real personality that we got on the Australian tour were delightful, and I'd love to see more of her real self shining through.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to add one more point...Diana didn't have to cope w/the Internet/Social Media either. True, all eyes were on her Press/Paps wise, but nothing like it is today w/everyone w/a smartphone ready to "share everything w/the World" even when it's clear it's something private. It was bad then, but now!?!

While I'd love to see more of Kate out and about doing more public stuff, I also keep in mind that if HM wasn't happy w/how Kate is doing in her role as HRH The Duchess of Cambridge, we would know about it. I truly do believe that after or even just before The Crumb Snatcher's First Birthday, we will be hearing that HRH has been making plans behind the scenes for the next step in her evolution as the Duchess of Cambridge and those plans will be exciting for all to hear.

I also have a feeling, hunch, much of it will be to do w/The Children's Hospice Movement. It is something she feels very strongly about, the fact all of her speeches so far have been given as part of a visit to a Children's Hospice proves that, and I'm really looking forward to finding out just what Kate has planned for the coming year.

Was not a fan of the article
- I don't have a problem with Catherine acting "proper" in public. Members of the royal family are expected to act a certain way, especially people that have married into the family. You cant a foot wrong without the papers criticizing you.

- the "clothes horse comment". The papers, not Catherine, are the ones that choose to focus on her clothes. The other day Rebecca from the DM was complaining about Catherine not attending the Windsor gala. Someone on twitter commented and said it's better she did not attend because it would all be about the dress and not William's charity. Rebecca's response was something along the lines of " yes, the focus would be on her dress because that's what people like to read". The papers ignore anything that is worth reporting and always focus on the trivial things. No better example than the hospice visit in Australia (where she gave a speech) that was all but ignored by the media in favour of the "baywatch" story.
- the private pics while playing with George were cute but they were an invasion of their privacy. Even if it "would have been good PR" as the article state, the couple can not complain about privacy if they pick and choose which pic to allow the media to publish because they are good "PR". They need to be firm about such things, even if the pics are cute and heartwarming.

What the media really want is another Diana, someone that will be controversial and give them lots of headlines. Catherine is just not that kind of person, they should accept it.

I think the Cambrigdes should increase their duties, especially with the Queen & Phillip getting older. It's time they became full-time working members of the RF

Last edited:
I'm glad that Will and Kate can keep some of their life private. We don't need Big Brother Kensington Palace. I think we see a lot of the real Kate. From interacting with the people on walkabout, visiting the hospices and interacting with Will and George. That was all the real Kate.

These comparisons with other royals are pointless. They are not in the same situation.

Everything thing that I have read about the Queen was one of her happiest times was when she was just a naval wife with Philip in Malta. What also must be one of her greatest regrets is not being able to spend time with young Charles and Anne because she became Queen at age 25. The Queen is letting her grandson and his wife enjoy this family time in their lives and build a strong family that will only benefit themselves and the crown in the future when the Queen is gone and W&K are full time royals for life.

I'm glad that Will and Kate can keep some of their life private.
We don't need Big Brother Kensington Palace. I think we see a lot of the real Kate. From interacting with the people on walkabout, visiting the hospices and interacting with Will and George. That was all the real Kate.
These comparisons with other royals are pointless. They are not in the same situation.

Everything thing that I have read about the Queen was one of her happiest times was when she was just a naval wife with Philip in Malta. What also must be one of her greatest regrets is not being able to spend time with young Charles and Anne because she became Queen at age 25. The Queen is letting her grandson and his wife enjoy this family time in their lives and build a strong family that will only benefit themselves and the crown in the future when the Queen is gone and W&K are full time royals for life.

I feel like this is what its about for them(william and kate)...they share enough of themselves in public why should they have to share their private moments with each other in public as well as sharing private moments with their son in public...its easy to understand why they don't...

I remember Tom Bradby saying as long as they can do their public work and be able to go back and have a private life they would be happy..

Its the same with the Max Foster interview...they will always give little tidbits of things that happen...they will never give away too much..that ruins the special-ness and intimacy of these private events.

This more about the media be hungry for kate...you don't think william still fears about his wife being chased like his mother was...its a tricky balance of how much to put her out there.

...What the media really want is another Diana, someone that will be controversial and give them lots of headlines. Catherine is just not that kind of person, they should accept it.
Bingo, I think you have hit the nail right on its head! And I think the RF are doing their best to control her public appearances. If anything, the Australian tour proved she has the media pull, not William. This latest appearance of his confirms that. What a worry that must be for the RF.:lol: Imagine if they don't stay together in the future...Bet they are taking that into consideration!

She will do plenty of appearances when she is no longer considered young and appealing, until then, strict control baby!;)

I wouldn't worry...I am sure Harry will marry someone who doesn't follow palace rules...and then they will get what they want...a mess.

Just to clarify..I don't want that for Harry...but, his type don't seem to be rule followers...sorry for veering off topic...

I just don't think they will every see the private kate in public...and whoevers decision it is..its made for a reason. Like if William doesn't want share his private kate with world...he shouldn't have to...he shares enough of his life with public...I feel like its his only way of keeping his sanity with his set life that's ahead of him.

... Imagine if they don't stay together in the future...Bet they are taking that into consideration!...
This is a bit cynical, I think. Maybe some of the more grizzled RF vets are already planning the divorce damage control, but mostly if her appearances are being controlled in any way, it's to give HRH more time and acclimation into this fishbowl.

The idea is to give Catherine time to adjust to her official life and I think it's working but there has to be a balance. There hasn't been any charity patronages announced in a while and I totally understand that there is a need to see her doing a bit more at home.

The world isn't going to get Diana back and it's wrong to put that kind of pressure on her daughter-in-law. Diana did her thing while she were here and now it's time for people to allow Catherine to do her own thing.

If they do anymore than what they are doing then its going to be seen as them stepping on charle's toes...

Also with the appearances this month...i think its about not having an overlap i mean look at Harry and Charle's tour...that was probably spaced to closely...you don't want Kate doing stuff when Charles's is trying to get attention.

Kates priority over the last year was her kid...and rightfully so..

I actually think the royals are doing too many tours...remember it costs these places money...i am sure we will being hearing plenty when we learn how much it costed for it on the Australia tour...then we will hear the complaints about that...because you see there was alot of security around the both RPOs and Australian/NZ security.

...I actually think the royals are doing too many tours...
Any official visits abroad happen for 2 main reasons: The Host country invites you (Charles and Camilla; William and Catherine) with a core reason at the heart of it. (I'll come back to this)

The other reason is that the Government requests a royal to go - either a state visit or trade or promotion of Great Britain (ie Andrew going to Kuwait)

We are entering 4-5 years of anniversaries. Start of WWI (hence Cambs going to Mons 4 Aug); and there will be many visits for key dates over that 4 yrt conflict building to the anniversary dates for 1918 and the end of the conflict.

At the same time, there are anniversaries for key dates for WW2 and these are significant not least of all because there are so few veterans still living. The D Day landings of 1944 will be commemorated by HMQ, DoE, C&C and W&K in France. This is very important. Harry's current trip to Monte Cassino not only to commemorate the event but to thank our Commonwealth allies (NZ) for their sacrifice. He has gone to Estonia to thank them for their support in Afghanistan

William and Catherine's tour of NZ/Aus had everything to do with thanking these Commonwealth countries for their support in past and current conflicts.

There will be many events over the next 4 years. All for a good purpose and not because the Royals personally decide they want to attend, but because their Government and the Government of other Nations invite them.

This is a bit cynical, I think. Maybe some of the more grizzled RF vets are already planning the divorce damage control, but mostly if her appearances are being controlled in any way, it's to give HRH more time and acclimation into this fishbowl.

It's probably both. And I am cynical. A dead Diana nearly brought the RF down. the queen had to bow to Diana's passing coffin. No way they want a repeat of that and no way they should treat Kate the way they treated Diana.

They are being careful and controlling. As they should, if they don't want to repeat the mistakes of the past.

:previous:
Although this rings very true and its the wise person that learns from mistakes made, we also have to remember that Kate is in a far different position than Diana was. Charles was not only the eldest of the Queen's children and working fully for his family and his country but he was also the Prince of Wales and heir to the throne which naturally put more expectations and responsibilities on his wife as the Princess of Wales.

I do think that should things have been different and Charles had been King when William married, the road the Cambridges would have taken would have been far different than the one they're on now.

I find it funny that there aren't people wondering what Wills is doing until May 29. It is not like he has done 20 engagements since the tour. Plus with Harry on tour and now Charles and Camilla in Canada, it almost guarantees the Cambridges won't be spotted.

Richard Palmer from the Express who is very good posted on twitter at the end of the tour that both William and Kate would be ramping up their royal duties in June and July. So I would think that we would see them at more than the traditional royal events such Trooping, Garter day, etc.

:previous:

Quite right, on 29th May they have a number of engagements in Scotland; its not confirmed yet but should be in France for 6th June; Trooping the Colour and of course Liege and Mons on 4th August

It's probably both. And I am cynical. A dead Diana nearly brought the RF down. the queen had to bow to Diana's passing coffin. No way they want a repeat of that and no way they should treat Kate the way they treated Diana.

They are being careful and controlling. As they should, if they don't want to repeat the mistakes of the past.
First, I don't agree that the Diana's death nearly brought down the Royal Family. There is an interesting review of the public opinion polls at that time in this article. Ipsos MORI | Comment & Analysis | The Power of Public Opinion: Princess Diana: 1961-1997.

You may especially be interested in the response to a 1997 poll conducted September 4-5, a few days after Diana's death. In particular, review the questions about whether the country would be better or worse off without a monarchy or whether Charles would make a good King. At the height of the media attacks, there was a majority of people who thought Charles should step aside in favor of William, but he recovered 10 points within a month. Many U.S. politicians would give anything for approval ratings like that.

That said, I agree the royal family does not want a repeat of the Diana fiasco. But after more than 12 years, they know that Catherine is not Diana. They are trying to be more sensitive to her feelings than they were to Diana's, but it is certainly easier for them because Catherine is obviously not as volatile as Diana was.

I believe there are more likely reasons Catherine is not as visible as Diana. First, as Osipi said, they are in a different position within the royal family. William is not the Prince of Wales. But even if that wasn't true, I think the most important reason is that William and Catherine don't want her to be as visible as Diana was. I see absolutely nothing that indicates Catherine wants to make more official appearances. If anything, I think she would love to be able to go out without being stalked.

William hated the paparazzi and media attention even before Diana's death. By all accounts he loved serving in the military and preferred military service to appearing at public functions. There is absolutely no evidence that anything has changed.

I don't think it has much to do with Diana.

Last edited:
No, Diana did not almost bring down the Monarchy.

Catherine is in a different position than of her late mother-in-law but I really don't think Catherine's official life have anything to do what Diana went through back in the day. I think it's mainly about giving Catherine the space and time for her to carve out her own role within the "Firm."

Catherine seems to be more interested in supporting sick children, sports and the scouts. I would actually like to see Catherine take on the charity Starlight Children's Foundation UK. Catherine and her family has been involved and supported the foundation for some time now. Currently Her Royal Highness Princess Alexandra is patron of the charity but, let's face it, Princess Alexandra do a great job in her patronage but don't bring a great deal of attention to the purpose of the charity as Catherine would. I think it would be nice if Her Royal Highness and the foundation passed down the role of royal patron to Catherine. I think she could bring a great deal of media attention to the wonderful charity.

I just think it would help if some responsibility was handed down to Catherine too. It's one of the ways, I think, Catherine would be able to carve out her own roles and bring a new light to her official royal duties.

Last edited:
Let's wait 3 months and see what the summer holds. 2011 was princess learning, 2012 was diamond jubilee and Olympics, 2013 was all about George.

If you look at the 3 main focuses of the Royal Foundation and the engagements they do, it is Harry that is spearheading the armed forces, William is leading the conservation charge and the third focus of young people has not gotten a big focus yet. Oh look there is a 3rd royal left to take up the banner for young people.

Victoria Murphy @QueenVicMirror · 4h
In Australia Kate told one woman:"I'm sorry about the situation in Ukraine." More the sort of comment you'd expect from a royal on the issue

Don't personally see why she is still on maternity leave.

That is just a buzz feed user. Not anyone in the know. With Harry on the tour and the Charles and Camilla, that guarantees a low profile from the Cambridges.

What did Bea do other than a garden party? They all do the garden party rotation. There are 5-6 royals at each. There are 2 more upcoming on June 3 and June 10 where they will be different royals along side the Queen and Philip.

We are coming into the busy time of the royal year.

:)Can anyone one tell me how long she will be off work because she had a baby? Is it something like a year in Britain? And why would anyone complain about this....after all don't all mother's go on leave when having a baby? I did, no big deal!

I believe in the UK, it's 52 weeks of paid maternity leave.

She on maternity leave because that a right as a mother than the UK gave her.

I believe in the UK, it's 52 weeks of paid maternity leave.

In our company women had 6 months paid maternity leave with the option to take another 6 months unpaid.

Kate is not a commoner, maternity leave doesnt apply to her as it does to the ordinary working woman. IMO her lack of presence has nothing to do with maternity leave. She could attend easily her patronages a few hours if she wanted. Whoever calls the shots on Kates appearances doesnt want her to be seen more often, and she doesnt seem unhappy about it. Doesnt work in favour of her 'lazy' image though.

:)Can anyone one tell me how long she will be off work because she had a baby? Is it something like a year in Britain? And why would anyone complain about this....after all don't all mother's go on leave when having a baby? I did, no big deal!

Yes all mothers are entitled to go on maternity leave for an entire year, most of course don't if they have jobs. If Catherine can leave George with her parents to go on holiday for a week, I don't see why she can't leave him for a few hours to do engagements twice a week. Same goes for William. George turns one in just under two months time, I know they're not "full time" royals, but they're not even acting like part time royals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom