The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-19-2010, 04:28 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

We might be, but do you think William would use the "my grandparents got married here", to overrule the fact that his mother had her funeral there, and that is where his parents got married.

Old 11-19-2010, 04:31 AM
Courtier

I find St.Pauls Cathedral 15.000 times more beautiful than Westminster Abbey. I understand the history and all, but really, I would choose St.Pauls!!!!

Old 11-19-2010, 04:35 AM
Gentry

St Paul's Cathedral's two most recent royal weddings took place in 1501 and 1981. And neither neither marriage has gone down in history has Royalty at its finest. Better bet to stick with Westminster where virtually *everything* royal in London happens (and that includes funerals amongst other things.)
Old 11-19-2010, 04:55 AM

^Well, let's be fair. The first example: the marriage didn't fail but Prince Arthur died. Not exactly his fault. It just happened.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:01 AM
Gentry

Which is why I didn't say that. Through no fault of the groom, it did however set the scene for a series of royal history's more notable train wrecks.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:23 AM
Heir Apparent

And why not St. George's Chapel in Windsor, when two last Royal Wedding took place (Edward's & Peter's) and when Charles & Camilla's marriage was blessed?

And the Queen & Duke of Edinburgh's marriage wasn't ideal; he had a few romances,don't forget.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:27 AM
Gentry

The announcement specified London. Windsor's 20 odd miles away.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:04 AM
Courtier

just for my information, has their EVER been a man in line to the British throne who has had a completely affair free marriage?
Old 11-19-2010, 06:08 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd_1 View Post
just for my information, has their EVER been a man in line to the British throne who has had a completely affair free marriage?
There are many since you specify 'in line to the throne' and that's a long list past and present!!!

But I'll restrict myself to 2 former kings and the 20 century, King George V and George VI.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:13 AM
Courtier

all right then, only crownprinces/ kings etc.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:13 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd_1 View Post
^ i found it intresting that they were never asked if they were in love , and they didnt insert that in the conversation themselves...they could have said "oh we're so happy, so in love":) i thought since diana and charles had been asked, they would be too, just for the fun of it!
During the photocall at St James Palace, one reporter began her question: "It is clear that you both know what love means, can you tell us........." - I don't recall the rest of the question, but it was obviously a cheeky reference to a past phrase used by Charles!
Old 11-19-2010, 06:29 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte1 View Post
There are many since you specify 'in line to the throne' and that's a long list past and present!!!

But I'll restrict myself to 2 former kings and the 20 century, King George V and George VI.
Yes both men was pretty much smitten with their wives. Even though George V 's marriage to Mary of Teck was a semi-arranged (she was engaged to his brother, but when she died, apparently they bonded during the mourning time) she never took a mistress and it was quite acceptable for a man in his postion to have a mistress.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:00 AM
Courtier

It feels like a balloon inside of me that is still intact - I am still very happy for them.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:47 AM
Administrator

Can we enjoy the engagement before we start worrying about issues in the marriage?

Old 11-19-2010, 08:20 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Can we enjoy the engagement before we start worrying about issues in the marriage?
My thoughts exactly, I find the psychology that some posters throw around about his supposed issues quite inappropriate.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:34 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
And why not St. George's Chapel in Windsor, when two last Royal Wedding took place (Edward's & Peter's) and when Charles & Camilla's marriage was blessed?

And the Queen & Duke of Edinburgh's marriage wasn't ideal; he had a few romances,don't forget.

You have proof that the Duke cheated have you because every time I have heard of it every person involved has denied it - in other words there are rumours but no proof.

By the way just because one partner cheats doesn't mean that the marriage isn't a success as many people are able to forgive.

I don't think Philip ever actually strayed. Sure he had lady friends but I do think he has remained faithful and you just have to see the way she looks at him and he at her to see what love there is between them. It reminds me of the love I always saw between my parents. One of my mother's closest friends used to say she could always tell when my father entered my mother's line of sight even if she had her back to him as my mother's face just lit up. I see that same look with the Queen.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:51 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post

I would not hope for the Windsor Solution.... it is some miles away -- in the outskirts -- of London, and it automatically means "small wedding" (which I do not hope of course)....

This surely was the right place for Edward (who was not planned to become king) as well as for the second wedding (blessing) of the PoW, and lesser "important" Royals (sorry, Peter) but: this should not be an option for the No 2 in line of the throne and his first grand wedding....

Btw, if you follow the worldwide reaction of the announcement, this DEMANDS for a grand wedding

BYe Bine
Old 11-19-2010, 09:49 AM
Commoner

This talk of not wanting to hold a marriage where a family member's funeral was held is odd to me. I think many of us have a church we belong to or attend regularly, perhaps where many family members were married and many family funerals were held. The thing is, the church is a comforting, special haven for us - whether we are celebrating the start of a new life together or the end of the life of someone we love. I know I wouldn't hesitate to marry in the church where my grandparents' funerals were held (I am fortunate that my parents are both still here).

I do understand that Diana's funeral was on a much grander scale, but still - I don't think it mars the church from future celebrations.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:49 AM
Courtier
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative – The Netherlands

The souvenirs are ready:

Produits dérivés ŕ l'effigie du Prince William et de sa future épouse Kate Middleton
Old 11-19-2010, 09:57 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephpaige View Post
This talk of not wanting to hold a marriage where a family member's funeral was held is odd to me. I think many of us have a church we belong to or attend regularly, perhaps where many family members were married and many family funerals were held. The thing is, the church is a comforting, special haven for us - whether we are celebrating the start of a new life together or the end of the life of someone we love. I know I wouldn't hesitate to marry in the church where my grandparents' funerals were held (I am fortunate that my parents are both still here).

I do understand that Diana's funeral was on a much grander scale, but still - I don't think it mars the church from future celebrations.
I couldn´t agree more