The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 03:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
What now for any other royal except the younger ones is pretty pointless.

Feel free to start one for Henry, would be interesting.

The reason this was started in Williams transition year was exactly because everything was up in the air so everything was an option, we didn't know what his plans were. Still don't frankly.
I agree, we still don't know William's plans, but I think he and Catherine will transition to full-time royal roles sooner rather than several years down the road.

A.W. TOZER
Old 01-22-2015, 11:17 PM
Majesty

Well his second Gap Year was up in September of last year and at this stage the only thing we know is;

Very explicit speculation that he was returning to flying by joining the East Anglia Air Ambulance came as early as Apr/May of last year and was officially confirmed in August 2014, so he really didn't get much of a "transition" in.

It was also announced he would be required to complete a conversion course although we were never told when his Conversion Course starts or started, how long it takes and when it ends, although there has been speculation it ends Mar/Apr 2015.

I got the idea that the Agricultural course was originally aimed at assisting him when the responsibility of the Duchy of Cornwall fell to him. However, with the announcement about his new flying job I got the impression that everything else got kicked to the curb.

So, what has William been doing this last year and a bit?

Old 01-23-2015, 12:01 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

The Palace did release that information. According to the announcement, his course started in September and lasts 5 months. Once the course ends, he has to do 14 exams and a flight test. That means he would complete his course in February and depending on how long his exams are, he would be starting his job in March or April.

From the Official Press release:
Quote:
The Duke will begin training for his Air Transport Pilot's Licence (Helicopter) in September, which is estimated to take a minimum of five months to complete. The Duke will continue to undertake engagements on behalf of The Queen and his charitable affiliations during this time.T

Training for the ATPL (H) will culminate in 14 examinations and a flight test.

Press release
Here's an article that talks a little more about the job.

Prince William to become air ambulance pilot | UK news | The Guardian
Old 01-23-2015, 01:50 AM
Administrator

The purpose of this thread, as stated in the original post was to discuss William's Post-RAF plans and how any plans might affect his future role as King.

Harry's role in the present is his full time military career, his part time royal duties and supporting his Monarch. Harry's role in the future may or may not be his military career, his royal duties and the support his Monarch [i.e. his father and/or brother].

There is a big difference from being a working member of the Firm and being Head of the Firm in regards to roles, duties and responsibilities.

Old 01-23-2015, 04:56 AM
Heir Apparent

And William's role in the present is a full-time pilot with East Anglian Air Ambulance, his part time royal duties and supporting his Monarch.

There will be almost no change in this until he actually becomes the heir to the throne, takes on duties of an heir and gains access to the income from the Duchy of Cornwall.

So for the foreseeable future William's role almost exactly mirrors Harry's role.

What William's role will be in his father's monarchy is anyone guess because no one knows the kind of king Charles will be or what type of court he will have
Old 01-23-2015, 05:21 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

But this is a forum where we can talk and discuss such things. Whenever new information comes in about William's role we discuss it here.

Come'on, there currently exists a thread in this forum about what would have happened if Edward hadn't abdicated, or if WW2 hadn't happened, or if the Russian revolution hadn't occurred. People speculate on things they cannot possibly know about, but they still speculate. It's fun.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:35 AM
Majesty

Okay then, I am wondering how William will cope with the Duchy of Cornwall. He has little experience and he will have a large number of people directly employed or impacted by his decisions in the future as POW and in particular the Duchy of Cornwall.

Somewhere along the way I got the notion that William's 'transitional year' was to prepare him for his future role as POW. I know learning about things like farming, animal husbandry, marketing and finance can be a bit boring if they are not your thing, but in the not so distant future, he will be directly in control of this. As for The Princes Trust? Does he know the first thing about it's broad base and fantastic work with teens, young entrepenures, etc.

I can't help feeling that William is more interested in what he wants to do now rather than anything he will have to do later.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:20 AM
Super Moderator

William's future involvement with the Duchy of Cornwall will be interesting and may not be exactly the same as his father's. Charles has always appeared to me to be quite hands-on with it and has developed the business side of the Duchy a great deal from what it once was, having had decades in which to do so.
But I do not think the title of Duke of Cornwall will automatically or necessarily come hand in hand with the role or business etc that Charles created from it. William could simply taken on the title and Charles may retain his interests once he becomes king.

There is much talked about the need to prepare William for his future duties and roles and no one will be more aware of this than William himself and his family. Much will be going on behind closed doors that will come together seamlessly at the right time. If there was a sudden change in our royal family's circumstances and Charles became king, there will be no chaos or urgency regarding William's new roles or duties etc or how he will cope or manage because it will all have been prepared before hand.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Okay then, I am wondering how William will cope with the Duchy of Cornwall. He has little experience and he will have a large number of people directly employed or impacted by his decisions in the future as POW and in particular the Duchy of Cornwall.

Somewhere along the way I got the notion that William's 'transitional year' was to prepare him for his future role as POW. I know learning about things like farming, animal husbandry, marketing and finance can be a bit boring if they are not your thing, but in the not so distant future, he will be directly in control of this. As for The Princes Trust? Does he know the first thing about it's broad base and fantastic work with teens, young entrepenures, etc.

I can't help feeling that William is more interested in what he wants to do now rather than anything he will have to do later.

Well I guess it's a long way in the future for him so he needs to have his own life for now.
He must look at his father being so long preparing for being king and doesn't want that life.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 01-23-2015, 07:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
Well I guess it's a long way in the future for him so he needs to have his own life for now.
He must look at his father being so long preparing for being king and doesn't want that life.
A long way in the future? His grandmother is nearly 89. It is not beyond the realms of possibility that William could be woken from his sleep tonight and informed that his father is now The King, and he needs to be prepared for that eventuality.

I suspect, however, that Charles has systems in place that will enable the easy transition of his current duties and responsibilities to his son when the need arises.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

A long way in the future for him to be king

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 01-23-2015, 07:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes Rob.... I suspect he will be like Charles and be into his 60's before he is King.

LaRae
Old 01-23-2015, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:

William has been preparing for taking over the Duchy of Cornwal for a number of years. He started attending meetings for the Prince’s Council (which controls the Duchy) in 2011. In fact, I remember reading that he was learning about the Duchy even before he started going to meetings.

Just because we don't see the day to day operations, or hear about every little detail, doesn't mean that preparations for William's future aren't going on. Prince Charles and the Queen know exactly what William needs to succeed and I have no doubt that they are preparing him well.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

I still believe he and Catherine will start transitioning to full-time royal duties way before Charles is King. The Queen is approaching 90 years old, and I think the Cambridge's will step up their duties in that consideration.

A.W. TOZER
Old 01-23-2015, 10:50 AM
Majesty

Quote:

We have little information as to how much or how little William in involved with the Duchy of Cornwall. As should be the case, there is little public information in this regard, the matter is entirely private. That said, given how much emphasis is laid within royal households in managing succession, I have no doubt William has a reasonable degree of engagements with matters relating to the Duchy. The course in Cambridge was the only bit that was announced. I have absolutely no idea why some posters are taking the view that he did not take the course, there is absolutely no reason to suggest so, IMO.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:27 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
I don't think William even finished his agricultural course. If he had, it would have been announced. If I missed the announcement that he finished, please cite source. He seems to be able to weedle out of every task he says he's going to take. I'm sure this tentative March/April schooling for rescue training will be lost with the new baby. I think he's full of hot air.
As hard as it is for me to say this, it does seem like William is fairly indecisive about what he wants to do. He started in art history at university and switched to geography after Catherine persuaded him not to quit altogether. He did seem to like his stint in the military, but when the tour of duty in Wales was up, he left the military rather than transfer to another base where he could continue to fly in some capacity. Then he was taking an agriculture class which we don't know if he completed or not. Now he is supposedly taking additional flight training for the rescue helicopter pilot's position but he has taken time off to go to Mustique now and later this spring to China.

I'm not one of the critics who think W & C need to carry out more royal duties. There is plenty of time for that when he is first in line to the throne. However, at almost age 33 and a husband and father, it does seem like he should be making decisions about what he really is going to do and stick with it.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

he has made a decision on what he's going to do - he's going to fly helicopters. Heaven forbid when that time ends.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:11 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
he has made a decision on what he's going to do - he's going to fly helicopters. Heaven forbid when that time ends.
I would go further than that and say that William's ability to make decisions has been very easy for him for one simple reason: he decided years ago that he wanted to fly helicopters as a career and he has stuck to that decision through all the obstacles that have been put in his way. I have in the past be critical of William, thinking he needed to make a decision and stick with it, but I think I was wrong and should have looked into it more.

In the Army, he wanted to do active service flying helicopters (like Harry eventually managed to do), but for political reasons and additionally the security threats at that time, he wasn't allowed to do it. Because Army helicopters only fly for training purposes in the comparative safety of British skies (and he obviously didn't want to be a trainer), he changed jobs and went into the RAF.
Via the RAF he was able continue flying and did search and rescue - until the government decided to privatise this area and William's career was curtailed again.
Now, he has managed to get a new job in the East Anglia Air Ambulance.

So in effect, it has appeared that William in indecisive, but the reality is clearly quite the opposite.

With regard to the Agriculture Course, it was announced this would be a ten week course and obviously a second announcement telling us he finished it was not required.

With regard to William's University choices, he decided not to do one course and did another - so one could say that making the right decisions following the wrong choices is something William has never repeated and has since always stuck to the helicopter career choice.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Also within the BRF things were up in the air. The Dukes of Edinburgh and Kent were sick, no one really knew how serious it was and William could very well have been needed sooner rather than later. It was touch and go for awhile and although William's passion is flying he couldn't commit 100 percent until he got the go ahead from the Queen.

So I don't think William is indecisive at all. He recognised that he needed to be flexible and even now his schedule with EAAA will take into account royal engagements he undertakes on behalf of the Queen and Government. Travelling to China and Japan later this month at the request of HM's government is an example.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
I would go further than that and say that William's ability to make decisions has been very easy for him for one simple reason: he decided years ago that he wanted to fly helicopters as a career and he has stuck to that decision through all the obstacles that have been put in his way. I have in the past be critical of William, thinking he needed to make a decision and stick with it, but I think I was wrong and should have looked into it more.

In the Army, he wanted to do active service flying helicopters (like Harry eventually managed to do), but for political reasons and additionally the security threats at that time, he wasn't allowed to do it. Because Army helicopters only fly for training purposes in the comparative safety of British skies (and he obviously didn't want to be a trainer), he changed jobs and went into the RAF.
Via the RAF he was able continue flying and did search and rescue - until the government decided to privatise this area and William's career was curtailed again.
Now, he has managed to get a new job in the East Anglia Air Ambulance.

So in effect, it has appeared that William in indecisive, but the reality is clearly quite the opposite.

With regard to the Agriculture Course, it was announced this would be a ten week course and obviously a second announcement telling us he finished it was not required.

With regard to William's University choices, he decided not to do one course and did another - so one could say that making the right decisions following the wrong choices is something William has never repeated and has since always stuck to the helicopter career choice.
You might be right - obviously flying is his passion. I don't believe he will end his job once he is heir - I think he will fly right up until the time he is king, unless he reaches some sort of mandatory retirement age. Somebody else will manage the duchies.