The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 07:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Royal Musings: Best ever photograph of the Prince of Wales

An excellent blog that really understands why the Cambridges are not full time royals at the moment. Please read

As Marlene states when the Queen requires W&K to increase their workload they will. It is up to the Queen to decide
Thank you for sharing the link. I agree that is one of Charles' best photos.

Old 10-31-2014, 07:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

I really do think William & Catherine will make the switch over to full-time royal duties in a the next couple of years. I really don't think they will leave it up to The Queen to request it or ask them to do so. I think with Her Majesty and Prince Philip aging, they will take it upon themselves to help out more.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-31-2014, 07:14 PM
Heir Apparent

What do you mean they won't leave it up to the Queen...of course they will! Grannie or not...she is still very much in charge and making decisions. If she wanted them working more they'd be doing it.

LaRae
Old 10-31-2014, 07:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
What do you mean they won't leave it up to the Queen...of course they will! Grannie or not...she is still very much in charge and making decisions. If she wanted them working more they'd be doing it.

LaRae
When I say that, I mean that I think they will just make the decision to go full-time and support The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh. I think The Queen leave the decision up to members of the royal family. It shouldn't take an illness or death for William & Catherine to step up their royal duties. With The Queen approaching 90 and the Duke of Edinburgh approaching his mid 90's, William & Catherine should take their ages into consideration and be willing to go full-time. At some point people will have to stop treating the Cambridge's with kid gloves and expect them to do more.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-31-2014, 07:47 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
This is what I think too. With the Queen, she may ask or invite but it usually is interpreted as a royal command. When it comes to the Firm, I don't think anyone tells the Queen "no" or "I've got other plans". It just isn't done.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 10-31-2014, 09:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
When I say that, I mean that I think they will just make the decision to go full-time and support The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh. I think The Queen leave the decision up to members of the royal family. It shouldn't take an illness or death for William & Catherine to step up their royal duties. With The Queen approaching 90 and the Duke of Edinburgh approaching his mid 90's, William & Catherine should take their ages into consideration and be willing to go full-time. At some point people will have to stop treating the Cambridge's with kid gloves and expect them to do more.

Who says they aren't willing to step up?? You miss the point that they CAN'T until the Queen asks them to.

The Queen is very much in charge, I can't imagine why you'd think she isn't.

LaRae
Old 10-31-2014, 09:44 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Who says they aren't willing to step up?? You miss the point that they CAN'T until the Queen asks them to.

LaRae
She most definitely is and I'm sure she keeps right on top of everything that concerns the monarchy and the Firm and all those that are involved in and around it.

We've all heard of The Way Ahead committee. They meet twice a year and consists of members of the royal family and their top advisers. I'm sure at these meetings they toss out what ifs and generally get each person's ideas and perspectives and by the end of the meeting, they pretty much have it all planned out how its going to be. Sometimes with plans far reaching into the future.

It is not because William and Kate do not wish to be full time working royals for the Firm at this time or even pull more engagements or take on more charities and patronages, it is because it has been decided that they are not needed this time at a higher level.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 10-31-2014, 09:59 PM
Nobility

Blushing, thank you
Old 11-01-2014, 12:00 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

LaRae
All I'm seeing is same excuses made over and over again for William.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 11-01-2014, 12:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarleneKoenig View Post
Blushing, thank you
I haven't always agreed with you, but this time you hit a home run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
She most definitely is and I'm sure she keeps right on top of everything that concerns the monarchy and the Firm and all those that are involved in and around it.

We've all heard of The Way Ahead committee. They meet twice a year and consists of members of the royal family and their top advisers. I'm sure at these meetings they toss out what ifs and generally get each person's ideas and perspectives and by the end of the meeting, they pretty much have it all planned out how its going to be. Sometimes with plans far reaching into the future.

It is not because William and Kate do not wish to be full time working royals for the Firm at this time or even pull more engagements or take on more charities and patronages, it is because it has been decided that they are not needed this time at a higher level.
I agree. HM is the head of the Firm and although I do believe she listens to her top advisers (DoE and children) that the final decision is hers to make.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:30 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
All I'm seeing is same excuses made over and over again for William.
Can I ask what excuses? Who has made them? Has it ever been said by a credible source such as BP, CH, KP or any source that would actually have the information that it is William, himself, that doesn't want to work full time for the Firm and hence, excuses must be made?

I still stand by the opinion that the Cambridges are not working as full time royals because a) there isn't a need for them to be, b) because the Queen doesn't think now is the time for them to go full time and c) the funds just aren't there to provide for two more full time royals.
― John Lennon
Old 11-01-2014, 02:48 AM
Royal Highness

Yes, in May 2012, William during the Katie Couric interview said "I really enjoy my time in the Air Force, and I’d love to continue it, but the pressures of my other life are building. And fighting them off, or balancing the two of them, has proven quite difficult.”
Old 11-01-2014, 04:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

I am increasingly of the opinion that William and Kate won't step up as full-time royals until Charles is the King, or Regent, and William thus the heir apparent, or as good as.

I suspect that that is the opinion of the Way Ahead Group.

That could mean another 10 - 15 years before William and Kate have to take on the sort of role that Charles and Camilla currently do. They will be in their mid-late 40s by then of course.

Harry, will be even longer - not until he has left the army - and he has indicated that will be at the end of a full career - so in another 25 - 30 years.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:04 AM
Majesty

I do not believe W&K and Harry too, especially when he gets married, will not be put to work until in their forties.

It would IMO be foolish not to use them when they are in their thirties.
W&K and Harry appeal to the young, they have the glamour factor and they have the positive association with Diana. They are a PR-man's wet dream.
Right now the BRF can afford the luxury of allowing W&K to find their footing, build up a work-routine and first and foremost have their children and being with their children for the first crucial years.

But in five years time I believe W&K will be out and about working as full time royals and they ought to be.
That applies for Harry as well. He will have to work half-time as a military officer, because he is simply too good with people to have him take too much of a backseat.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

I'm thinking it will be two and a half years before the Cambridge's become full-time royals. I just think they will go on to help The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh very soon.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 11-01-2014, 10:52 AM
Heir Apparent

I agree with Iluvbertie's submission that William and Kate won't become full time Royals until the Queen dies/loses her faculties and Charles becomes King/Regent. William is unique in that he is now an early-middle-aged heir to the late-middle-aged heir. William's equals in status in the other Royal Houses are little children. He is only in this situation because his grandmother married young and bore children young and became monarch so young and vowed to reign for life and has lived so long. IMO he is ill-prepared to step into the heir's shoes at a moment's notice. He could become heir and then monarch all within a very short space of time considering how quickly medical conditions such as strokes can afflict ostensibly healthy and fit people, but he doesn't seem well prepared for that eventuality, and his wife most certainly doesn't.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:40 PM
Heir Apparent

A couple of posters have mentioned The Way Ahead Group. According to Robert Hardman in his book "Our Queen" (published 2011' pg 273), this has been discontinued.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 11-01-2014, 12:45 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
IMO he is ill-prepared to step into the heir's shoes at a moment's notice. He could become heir and then monarch all within a very short space of time considering how quickly medical conditions such as strokes can afflict ostensibly healthy and fit people, but he doesn't seem well prepared for that eventuality, and his wife most certainly doesn't.
I agree 100% and William's statement says it all:

And fighting them off, or balancing the two of them, has proven quite difficult.” It screams RELUCTANCY all over.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:51 PM
Majesty

I have a feeling that those who decide who goes full time and who doesn't are perfectly fine with the Cambridges being in the background for the present (and possibly the foreseeable future). There's nothing wrong with that. Her Majesty, and her advisors know better than we do when it comes to what works and what doesn't. And if William is indeed reluctant, and is being catered to, then again, there must be a good reason for that as well. In any case, is it really our problem? I don't think so. I certainly wish that I had a family who supported my choices the way William's family supports his. He has the chance to be with his wife and children, and have a career (albeit a temporary one) that he enjoys. It doesn't fit with the agenda others seem to have for him, but that doesn't trouble anyone who remotely matters in such situations, such as the Queen, who is the head of the Firm. We also need to keep in mind that when one is reluctant to do something, and is pushed, the results may not be satisfactory either. Over the course of the years that I've been on this forum, I've read comments about William looking like he'd rather be anywhere else when he's doing royal duties. Personally, I don't see that, but if it is indeed true, won't it be better to just let him be for a while? Certainly would beat having a bunch of papers write article about a 'surly Duke'.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Royal Musings: Best ever photograph of the Prince of Wales

An excellent blog that really understands why the Cambridges are not full time royals at the moment. Please read

As Marlene states when the Queen requires W&K to increase their workload they will. It is up to the Queen to decide

please read. I've been saying this for months

Closed Thread