The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 04:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post
Sorry, but as regards the Queen, this is just not true.

Just to be clear, I adore the Queen. See my avatar for proof of that. But, if one pays close attention to the Queen's engagements, and even the DoE's, it's entirely obvious when they're not interested.

Take the Queen's visit to the Game of Thrones set in Belfast, for example. The Queen looked pretty absent for most of it. She was being shown the Iron Throne and you could tell she really wasn't all that bothered. It's not her thing, so I don't hold it against her. I had family members go and stand in the rain for several hours in NI on the same visit to see the Queen and they felt that she was more or less going through the motions too. She was going back home to London afterwards, so I'd say that played a part. They weren't unhappy with it but they just didn't feel any real connection to her that day.

Take a look at the faces of any member of the royal family as they watch some troop of young people perform a modern dance routine or the like, and you can almost see their eyes glaze over.

To suggest that all the royals bar William can feign interest in things they couldn't give a tuppenny-damn about is just not born out by what we see from them. It's not possible for people to always look super interested when they're just not.

Where William excels is when he's meeting the ordinary folk who have stood behind the barriers waiting to see him. The Queen simply has never been able to have a natural conversation with people like that, she's clearly uncomfortable, whereas William, Kate and Harry look like they could do it all day.
Very true! I'm a great admirer of the Queen, but I think her strength is her sense of duty and unyielding commitment to events and occasions she clearly has no genuine interest in. After many decades of endless amateur artwork and off key singing, as well as any number of other things that seem mind numbingly boring and/or awkward, I think QEII has earned the right to not even try to pretend anymore.

William and Kate, OTOH, either have a more genuine and open interest in people, or they're better actors. Either way, it's a skill that should serve them well in the years to come.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:22 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
William and Kate, OTOH, either have a more genuine and open interest in people, or they're better actors. Either way, it's a skill that should serve them well in the years to come.
The difference is they haven't had to sit through it for SIXTY TWO years !

Old 08-18-2014, 08:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Now, I agree with you here. I kinda feel bad for The Queen & Prince Philip or Charles & Camilla when they have to sit through endless and very meaningless performances. They don't seem a bit interested in any of it. Although I think if the performances had some meaning behind it, it probably would grab the royals attention.
We are a bit off topic and probably need a "the future of royal visits" thread.
But - IMHO there are many appearances that count locally and lift the local spirits. There are also appearances and work behind the scenes that raise funds for charities on a national and global scale. I have heard many of you say that this cash generation is an important function upon which the royals assist. And I have never read a post that said the roayls should not have a global charity impact for important causes.

As someone who sees all this from outside, I do see a tension in what RF members think the work of the royals should be and how things are prioritized. And it is just my opinion, but I think The Queen, Charles and Wills/Kate/Harry have different opinions on the issue. I also think each generation understands and is OK with the various points of view.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
Welcome to The Royal Forums, Lady Nimue!
IMO Very sad.

Anyway, I think it's great that William is flying helicopters. I know there have always been protections put in place for heirs to the throne in such situations and I have no problem with that. None at all. I don't think that fact makes what he is doing any less, or him any less, nor should it. William is doing worthy work and being respectful of the conditions of his birth that require cautions. One cannot ask for more. I am even hoping he keeps this up for decades, even as King.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
IMO Very sad.

Anyway, I think it's great that William is flying helicopters. I know there have always been protections put in place for heirs to the throne in such situations and I have no problem with that. None at all. I don't think that fact makes what he is doing any less, or him any less, nor should it. William is doing worthy work and being respectful of the conditions of his birth that require cautions. One cannot ask for more. I am even hoping he keeps this up for decades, even as King.
I could absolutely see Will flying helicopters at least until he is king, because I truly believe he hates royal duties.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:33 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
I could absolutely see Will flying helicopters at least until he is king, because I truly believe he hates royal duties.
I really don't think he's dispassionate about doing royal duties and his charity work and he does have a vested interest in quite a few causes that are near and dear to his heart but I do think that flying and working for EAAA, to him, is a passion much like Charles' passion for gardening and organic farming and making things grow.

It takes a certain type of a person to work in a fire or rescue situation. It is anything but a walk in the park. Its stressful and demanding and things are seen that can't easily be forgotten. Of course, there is also the element of boys and their toys too.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 08-19-2014, 08:04 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't know if its still available online, but I would recommend watching Helicopter Rescue from BBC Wales. I believe it's the second season that covers RAF Anglesey with Ft Lt. Will Wales. What I took away from watching, was the William loved being part of a team and being treated as a one of the guys. But most importantly being able to help bring someone's loved one home to safety. You have to think that losing his mum due to an accident has something to do with why he wants to help other people from going thru the same heartbreak that he went thru.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 09-19-2014, 03:09 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
When it was announced that Prince William would be joining the East Anglian Air Ambulance Service, the charity was quite rapidly shifted in to the spotlight, a shift that would see its web hits soar to more than ten times its usual website traffic.
On the day of the announcement itself, the EAAA website had 3,366 visitors, of which 86% were new visitors, who we can assume were intrigued by the charity after William’s announcement that he would be joining the team.
East Anglian Air Aimbulance web hits skyrocket after Prince Williams job announcement
Old 10-15-2014, 07:13 PM
Heir Apparent

There has been a lot of discussion about Catherine's roles and duties recently and this strayed into the same discussion about William. Usual debate over f/t vs p/time, etc etc.

I just found this quote in the book Monarchy, The Royal Family at Work, by Robert Hardman. I think it helps to make sense of William (and Harry's) approach to royal duty.

The Prince [of Wales] has always made it clear that his sons will not be shoved into royal duties against their will. Having had his own education and career mapped out by a committee involving everyone from the Archbishop of Canterbury to the Prime Minister, he remains determined that Princes William and Harry should follow their instincts and their own sense of duty rather than some dusty blueprint

END.

For me this says that just because its been done a particular way in the past, that it doesnt need to be done the same way now. Another theme in the book is about how the Monarchy needs to be relevant. What is said by senior members of the Royal Household is " ..the basic rule of Monarchy: just keep doing the same thing - differently".

Its not a recent book (2007) but I've found relevant to current Royal life.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 10-15-2014, 07:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Dickie Arbiter agrees with this approach as well. In his new book he said its good William and Harry have jobs outside the Firm.

Edit: Actually it was an interview he gave to the Express for publicity on his book
Old 10-15-2014, 07:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Dickie Arbiter on a life serving the Queen, Prince Charles, Diana and William and Harry | Royal | News | Daily Express
Quote:
If the Queen does prove to have her mother's longevity genes, William too will have a long wait to become Prince of Wales. Critics argue that he and Kate should do more now but Arbiter thinks that like Harry, who is now 30, William, 32, is right to avoid becoming a full-time royal and focus instead on a career outside The Firm.

Harry remains a career Army officer, combining his role with part-time royal duties, and a year after quitting the RAF Search and Rescue Force, William has begun preparing for training as an air ambulance helicopter pilot.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
There has been a lot of discussion about Catherine's roles and duties recently and this strayed into the same discussion about William. Usual debate over f/t vs p/time, etc etc.

I just found this quote in the book Monarchy, The Royal Family at Work, by Robert Hardman. I think it helps to make sense of William (and Harry's) approach to royal duty.

The Prince [of Wales] has always made it clear that his sons will not be shoved into royal duties against their will. Having had his own education and career mapped out by a committee involving everyone from the Archbishop of Canterbury to the Prime Minister, he remains determined that Princes William and Harry should follow their instincts and their own sense of duty rather than some dusty blueprint

END.

For me this says that just because its been done a particular way in the past, that it doesnt need to be done the same way now. Another theme in the book is about how the Monarchy needs to be relevant. What is said by senior members of the Royal Household is " ..the basic rule of Monarchy: just keep doing the same thing - differently".

Thank you for the above information. Says a lot.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:24 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post

END.

Thank you for the article, that insight into how PC is supporting his sons in their decisions to live their own lives says a lot about PC and for what he is doing and has done, I have a lot of respect for him. I am also glad to see that the boys have learned to have a large part of their lives at this time just for them to live as they please while still keeping in mind of their heritage and their duties. I do believe that PC will someday be a great king for GB and do a wonderful job.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:54 PM
Heir Apparent

The Duke of Cambridge: What Now for William? Future Duties, Roles & Responsib...

Charles has been really supportive of William. William and Harry could go to Eton which was a good experience for Wills instead of having to go to Gordonstoun just because Philip, Charles, Andrew, Edward, Peter and Zara -basically almost everybody but the corgis went there. He also didn't force William to go to Oxford or Cambridge but let him go to St Andrews. Without St Andrews, there is no Kate, George, Lupo or baby 2.

He also supported William to train for SAR instead of leaving the military and becoming a full time royal when everybody thought that's is what he was going to do and he is fully behind William doing the air ambulance job now.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 10-16-2014, 12:25 AM
Imperial Majesty

I think it's great that William and Harry are allowed to follow their passions. I think the idea is to make sure they have a well balanced approach to their outside jobs and royal duties. With the Queen and Prince Philip's age, a lot of this free to do what you want lifestyle wont and can't be too long, IMO.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-16-2014, 07:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Charles has been fairly vocal (for a royal) about his unhappiness in how he was raised...I am convinced he went above and beyond to make sure the boys had more/better opportunities than he did...and I think this is one area he and Diana were always in agreement on.

This is why I find it so silly when people start saying William is spoiled just doing whatever he wants and the Queen (and/or Charles) are upset...he's doing what he's doing because he's being encouraged to some degree to do it by his father etc.

LaRae
Old 10-16-2014, 01:10 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I do believe that both William and Harry come from a very close knit support system and that their passions are listened to and taken into consideration by all and wherever possible, the ways and means of making their dreams become reality were found. If I recall from various readings of Will and Harry as small boys, it was Will that wanted to grow up to be a policeman and Harry wanted to be a soldier. Two brothers went through difficult times but they always went through them together. There is a very tangible, close bond between these two that will only grow stronger with time.

These boys were not raised to be sycophants to trod the royal brick road for the rest of their lives. Both men are very much aware of the duties that their positions hold and for the most part, have found their own niche in charitable causes and patronages that are personal to them such as Centrepoint, Sentebale, the Invictus games and Walking with the Wounded, and conservation and the list keeps growing. They've both attained their own personal goals. Harry remains a soldier in the armed forces and although not quite a policeman, Wills will serve the people flying an air ambulance. How many people do any of us know that would take on a job such as this and donate his paycheck to the organization he works for? Perhaps Will can afford to do this but the point being, he didn't have to. He drew a regular paycheck in the service. I think it reinforces the position that William is doing this to be in service to his people more so than just his love of flying.

The time will come though when the family will call on both of these men to step up and be the princes they were born to be. And they will do it with love, honor and a deep sense of duty that they've learned from their father and their grandparents. With the level of compassion, caring and openness that they've inherited from their mother, William along with his brother Harry, will make quite a formidable team taking the monarchy forward.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 10-16-2014, 02:58 PM
Serene Highness

WOW, that was expertly said and very well put............if I could I would send you a huge bouquet of flowers, hope this will do instead...
Old 10-16-2014, 03:17 PM
Majesty

Yes!!!!!!!

There is an abnormal situation in the UK now in that there are three adult generations of the Royal Family working. The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh are still actively working, as are many of the Queen's first cousins. The Queen's children are all busy doing public work as well. William and Harry work full-time at public service jobs and also do some high-profile royal engagements. Catherine is in her second difficult pregnancy and has done engagements in the UK as well as strenuous overseas tours, all within three years of marriage. I can foresee that within the next five to ten years, the third generation is going to pick up the pace of royal engagements quite a bit as their elders age and pass away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
The time will come though when the family will call on both of these men to step up and be the princes they were born to be. And they will do it with love, honor and a deep sense of duty that they've learned from their father and their grandparents. With the level of compassion, caring and openness that they've inherited from their mother, William along with his brother Harry, will make quite a formidable team taking the monarchy forward.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Lots of wishful thinking going on, IMO, (excluding Harry, who does do things.)