The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 04:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Not my concern really, but for clarity: if it's charity, he works for free and they don't have to come up with the funding for his salary. However, he is accepting a paycheck, that he says he will donate to charity. That's his choice how he decides to dispense the money paid him for his hours worked. It cannot technically be called charity, though. Just my two cents.
Indeed. When he works for free, he says to the Ambulance Service: "Please do not send me any salary". But the Ambulance Service pays him a salary, which is then donated to a charity. Of course Prince William is taking away someone's else job-possibility. No matter how you look at it: would Prince William not be the pilot, someone else would have been. He does cost the Ambulance Service a salary anyway.

As I said earlier in this thread, it is an ill-advised and very strange choice. The Prince has done an agricultural management course and could now have enrolled in the management of his future Duchy (Cornwall) with its enormous portfolio of assets and activities. That Duchy, when managed properly, will generate enough revenue for him and his spouse, the future Prince and Princess of Wales, to fulfill their royal role. It is his utmost duty, also for his son Prince George, also a future Duke of Cornwall, to take excellent care for all this. Thát is his life destiny, not flying in a helicpoter.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:42 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

William is now attending council meetings for the duchy, so he is taking an active role and learning about how to manage it.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:52 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
As I said earlier in this thread, it is an ill-advised and very strange choice. The Prince has done an agricultural management course and could now have enrolled in the management of his future Duchy (Cornwall) with its enormous portfolio of assets and activities. That Duchy, when managed properly, will generate enough revenue for him and his spouse, the future Prince and Princess of Wales, to fulfill their royal role. It is his utmost duty, also for his son Prince George, also a future Duke of Cornwall, to take excellent care for all this. Thát is his life destiny, not flying in a helicpoter.

I so much agree with you. Going back to flying is a step back, not forward. Flying, 'gap year', agricultural course, back to flying? Gives the impression of having no clue at all to me what is bad for a man whose life destiny is fixed.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:58 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Indeed. When he works for free, he says to the Ambulance Service: "Please do not send me any salary". But the Ambulance Service pays him a salary, which is then donated to a charity. Of course Prince William is taking away someone's else job-possibility. No matter how you look at it: would Prince William not be the pilot, someone else would have been. He does cost the Ambulance Service a salary anyway.

If William had chosen to spend a majority of his time on managing the Duchy (which is not a not-for-profit organisation), he would have been criticised for not devoting himself exclusively to charitable works.

I think the key now will be to get a good number of public engagements out in parallel to the Ambulance Service role. Quite like when William and Catherine were in Wales, the engagements can be bunched up and in shirt bursts.

I also think it would be good to see Catherine engage in more engagements in the Norfolk / Suffolk/ Cambridgeshire area.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:01 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post

As for the housing situation, it has been stated that they will be based at KP for the long term, presumably until he is King, which makes me wonder why they couldn't have stayed at Nott Cott and moved to CH when PoW, seeing as they are mainly in Norfolk.

In Wales they were a normal couple, but now, with 2 mansions and staff galore, their commitment to royal life needs to be upped to reflect this change in status.
> Nott Cott is too small to be a family home, it is only 2 bedrooms

> KP has not been abandoned, and will continue to be their London home. I am sure they will be up in London 2 -3 times a month at least. The time spent in London will vary, depending on what time of year it is, and how the royal engagements may be grouped.

> KP will also be used for the medium term, possibly till William is King.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:40 AM
Imperial Majesty

I think they may be going to do a Queen and Windsor in reverse - in the country at Anmer Hall during the working week while they spend the weekends or breaks between duty time in London so Kate can shop etc.

Duties - I will wait and see how many as they haven't been that busy on that front.

As for the agriculture course - considering where he is going to be living and who will one day own that property I do see that he can very well be involved in the running of one of his future private estates by actually living on the Sandringham estate - one he, and then George, will one day own privately.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:13 AM
Heir Apparent

London is a less than 2 hour train ride away from Sandringham so they go easily go back and forth between Amner and KP.

The Queen,Charles, Andrew, Edward and Anne all have country residences and London ones.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 08-11-2014, 07:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I think they may be going to do a Queen and Windsor in reverse - in the country at Anmer Hall during the working week while they spend the weekends or breaks between duty time in London so Kate can shop etc.

Duties - I will wait and see how many as they haven't been that busy on that front.

As for the agriculture course - considering where he is going to be living and who will one day own that property I do see that he can very well be involved in the running of one of his future private estates by actually living on the Sandringham estate - one he, and then George, will one day own privately.
Sandringham Estate is relatively pretty small compared with the portfolio and assets of the Duchy of Cornwall. Together with the Duchy of Lancaster, the Duchy of Cornwall is a "real" Duchy and not just a honorific. It provides the Prince of Wales an income and the finances to fulfill his role. In my idea Prince William could have enrolled into the management of the Duchy of Cornwall, himself every day getting closer to become the new Duke of Cornwall. Besides this he could have continued to do public activities. Anyway, the choice has been made. Good luck co-pilot W. Wales.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:09 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't think the Duchy of Cornwall needs the Duke to be involved with the day to day running for the Duchy to function. From 1936 to 1952, there isn't a Duke and from 1952, the Duke is a child for several years.

Being an air ambulance pilot is probably the closest civilian equivalent to his old SAR job plus the publicity for the announcement will raise the profile of the air ambulance services.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 08-11-2014, 08:40 AM
Heir Apparent

That is true, but exactly because of the interest, the zest and the commitment of the present Duke (Prince Charles), this old and once stuffy Duchy has been turned into a modern managed estate. The Prince has pushed the Duchy into new areas, from anaerobic digestion facilities to distribution warehouses, boosting the total income from the estate year after year. Without the leadership and initiative of the Duke, the Duchy would still rely on old concepts as renting out lands, forestry and agriculture which barely will reach a break-even point. Note that "the other Duchy", the Duchy of Lancaster, has seen years of falling revenues...
Old 08-11-2014, 09:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Who runs the Duchy of Lancaster?
Old 08-11-2014, 09:05 AM
Heir Apparent

One of the family roles that the DoE has is overseeing the Sandringham Estate. It is possible that William might support him with this, understanding more about land management learning from the Estate Manager. Sandringham makes enough income to support itself.

Its just an idea.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 08-11-2014, 09:15 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
One of the family roles that the DoE has is overseeing the Sandringham Estate. It is possible that William might support him with this, understanding more about land management learning from the Estate Manager. Sandringham makes enough income to support itself.

Its just an idea.

That's what I've been thinking as well. William must start somewhere and if he's to take an active part in the running of the Duchy of Cornwall, Sandringham is a perfect start.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 08-11-2014, 09:22 AM
Imperial Majesty

I was thinking that William would take on the role of Ranger of Windsor Great Park. It's a role that Prince Philip as held since 1952.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-11-2014, 10:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Who runs the Duchy of Lancaster?
The Queen is the Duke of Lancaster. On her behalf Mr Oliver Letwin MP is Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster (the one who is answerable to Parliament for the governance of the Duchy). He is officially the highest in charge of the Duchy (after the Queen) but in daily practice a number of officials manages the Duchy, led by a vice-Chancellor.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:36 PM
Nobility

The Duchy of Cornwall mostly takes care of itself nowadays. Unlike in the past, there are now very well-qualified, very well-paid professionals running the thing on a daily basis. I'm not saying Charles hasn't had a big hand in its success, he absolutely has, but he's very good at putting good people in the right roles, whether that be to run the Duchy or his charities.

Sandringham's probably more of a challenge, to be honest. It doesn't own chunks of central London like the Duchy does, which is basically a licence to print money. The Duchy owns a lot of residential and commercial property in very desirable parts of the country earning it ever more money in rents. Sandringham's in a not terribly fashionable part of the country, trying to pay its way through cultivating its land. We all know how difficult these country estates are to keep afloat, it's why so many aristos had to hand their's over to the National Trust.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:43 PM
Royal Highness

My main criticism with William is the KP townhome and Anmer Hall.

Money was spent to renovate 2 large homes for William while the roof leaks at Buckingham Palace and the roof leaks at Windsor Castle.

Water damage costs more than most type of damage except total loss. The asbestos in KP was contained and posed on harm. The charity was operating in Apt 1A and it generated revenue no matter how small.

Anmer Hall was leased and generated income.

IMO, it reflects poorly on William to leave KP after the renovations and after his offices had been moved to KP.

I suspect that the roofs of BP and Windsor will require more than was spent on Anmer Hall & Apt 1A but that money could have started the renovations. IMO, I do not believe that the entire building need to be closed off to repair the roof.

If William had stayed in Wales and taken a job as a medievac pilot, I do not see how he could have been criticized. The place that they were renting was large enough for William, Kate, George, nanny and staff.

The PR fallout is because the move to KP signaled to everyone he was going to be a full time royal or at least employed in London.

The move to Anmer make William looks indecisive.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:00 PM
Heir Apparent

There are ongoing repairs to the roof at both BP and Windsor Castle.

Some things to keep in mind. One of the main reasons for the Sovereign Grant is to allow the Queen and the Royal Household to budget their money long term and undertake repairs and renovations to the occupied royal palaces.

The upkeep and maintenance of the palaces is the responsibility of the Queen not William. The Royal Household decides where the priority is and go from there. The Queen wanted William and Kate to have KP now. End of story.

William was always going to have two homes, whether the Queen gave him KP now or in two years time.

There is no residency requirement or a minimum number of hours William needs to spend at KP. It is his London home and official residence, just like Anmer Hall is his country residence.

He will split his time between the two. If the Queen expected him to spend to spend 24/7 in London she never would have given him a second home.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:10 PM
Royal Highness

Blaming the Queen.

BP & Windsor need repairs.
William wanted a larger London home.
William wanted to join the medievac and left his London townhome.
Blame his grandmother.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:13 PM
Royal Highness

The Duchy of Cornwall is successful because of Prince Charles.

William took an agricultural course.

The Duchy of Lancaster is losing money.

Simply solution help his grandmother with the Duchy of Lancaster. Use what he was taught at Cambridge to turn around the Duchy of Lancaster.

Closed Thread