The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 09:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

This is what I mean she is the anti Diana. She doesn't seem to be here to be fawned over and admired by the faceless masses. She is part of a 2 pronged team, her and William and her and the royal family. She doesn't want to be the star and why should she. The only thing talked about is what she wears.
I think both William and Kate are boring people and that's how they like it. I respect them for not putting in a show for the mob. They are around to represent the country, not entertain them.

Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-02-2014, 10:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Also unlike Diana, Kate had a stable family life and has brought William into her family closeness.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:57 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hathaway View Post
(snip)
She seems pleasant enough on her engagements, but she just seems frightened or insecure. I wish she could be more charismatic. She seemed to be more charismatic in her university years. And the number of her engagements is rather low. What does she do on her off time?
(snip)
I'm guessing you don't have children or your children are so old that you don't remember how much time and energy it takes to take care of a one-year old boy. (by the way, I think having a child is "experiencing life.")

This thread is about William's future. It is obvious to me that William and Catherine are spending their "off time" concentrating on their family. There is no need for William or Catherine to make more public appearances. The Queen is active and seems to be in good health. The royal family has survived for the last 10 years without William or Catherine being full-time and I don't see any reason why that has to change in the foreseeable future.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
I'm guessing you don't have children or your children are so old that you don't remember how much time and energy it takes to take care of a one-year old boy. (by the way, I think having a child is "experiencing life.")

This thread is about William's future. It is obvious to me that William and Catherine are spending their "off time" concentrating on their family. There is no need for William or Catherine to make more public appearances. The Queen is active and seems to be in good health. The royal family has survived for the last 10 years without William or Catherine being full-time and I don't see any reason why that has to change in the foreseeable future.
Because then people won't have their pretty Ken and Princess Barbie to play with and look at and talk about how pretty they are.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-03-2014, 12:29 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post

Your guess is wrong.

In any event, the queen is an elderly woman and is cutting back. The Prince of Wales and his wife are pensioner age. I would think this is the perfect time for William and his brother to be stepping into the Firm to help out. William has three homes by virtue of his royal position: a cottage at Balmoral, an apartment at Kensington Palace, and Anmer Hall. If he has the perks, he should be seen pulling his weight.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:42 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
The forum used to be interesting - its now full of people who's only interest is either clothes or making detrimental statements about women who have married into Royal families but are not noble.

Its not just Catherine and the BRF, but Mette-Marit, Camilla, Mary, Maxima (in the beginning) and now Sofia.

Most of what has been said on here today is just plain nasty.
I think that in the absence on any communication whatsoever about what lies in the immediate future for this couple. I say couple because the shape of their future will ultimately depend on William and the choices he makes.

There was a bit of a lull after he resigned (somewhat surprisingly) from the the RAF. Everyone waited for some word as to his future. Then came the announcement that he was taking what is essentially a gap year and once again there was a kind of lull.

There were expectations that following on the heels of a fantastic tour of New Zealand and Australia they would just continue on the same, only in the UK. That didn't happen again there was another lull.

Then, seemingly out of nowhere the tabloids were all trumpeting the news that William would return to his first love, flying helicopters and, more interestingly, for a civilian rescue service. But there is nothing but deafening silence from any royal quarters.

So, with an papers and magazines to sell and no William and Catherine news of any kind, any and every single thing about both William and Catherine is now considered news, liberally sprinkled with speculation and ladled out with a liberal sprinkling of spice.

Everyone has ideas as to what is expected of the heir but William is the heir's heir and there isn't an SOP for that, basically everyone is just thinking out loud.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:25 AM
Super Moderator

The issue of William considering his options in terms of public service or pondering his future etc has became something of a problem for me, especially in light of the fact that no other country with a monarchy seems to have the same problem as we do.
As I've indicated on another thread (or possibly more including this one, I can't remember), William's status is lower than that of, say, the Princess of Asturias and the Princess of Orange and in my view, until he is elevated to Prince of Wales, I have come to realise that he shouldn't be in the public eye at all.

Logically or more likely illogically speaking, either the Queen should abdicate immediately in order for William to take on a proper, full-time, public role as Prince of Wales, or he should take up a full-time job flying helicopters or being governor general of one of the other nations of the realm, or a spy for M15 or something with some bones to it.

Obviously, as we all know only too well, Her Majesty will never abdicate (and no one is allowed even to suggest that she does) and very nice for her too to have a proper constitutional role, but she must realise that her stoical insistence on remaining on the throne has it's apparent consequences for her heirs. I wonders what advice she might be giving William on his apparent deliberations or what options she suggests he might take.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:12 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
As I've indicated on another thread (or possibly more including this one, I can't remember), William's status is lower than that of, say, the Princess of Asturias and the Princess of Orange and in my view, until he is elevated to Prince of Wales, I have come to realise that he shouldn't be in the public eye at all.
I disagree with that. Everyone knows that William is the next King after Charles' (short) reign, no matter how he is styled.

He (and his wife) needs to be in the public eye with a proper agenda and not give the impression that he is workshy or without a clue about what he wants to do.

I agree with Marg, communication re Willams future is desastrous.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:58 AM
Heir Apparent

The Duke of Cambridge: What Now for William? Future Duties, Roles & Responsib...

William is doing what was said last year - he is focusing on various projects and royal duties. Until the next announcement, we don't know and all of this hiding in Norfolk to fly is speculative.

While the Queen and the DoE are old, they are not slowing down. They were busy up in Scotland. No one can make them slow down but themselves. Even if something happened to the Queen and a regency is needed that isn't something William would do.

As for the PoW, he maybe a pensioner but he also a workaholic. That a good and bad thing. Maybe with George becoming a toddler, it will help Charles mellow and relax with his own grand kid for a bit instead of trying to save the planet for him all the time.

Look at this week for WK, medical conference, engagement for K, Nat History Museum visit for WKG, Wimbledon, Thistle service for W, Tour de France launch with Harry.

It was pretty busy with both private and public events.

William and Kate have time right now when there lives are still somewhat their own. That can change at anytime. Why not spend it how they want. Whatever decisions made will be with the consultation of the Queen and PoW.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:47 AM
Imperial Majesty

I think the idea is for them to focus on their royal duties and charitable causes.

The side job that William probably take on I think would be something that's going to prepare him for his future Kingship. One of the many options is working at the Commonwealth Office. The official Commonwealth tours seems to be passing on to the younger royals, so it's possible that William could work in that field and expand his role within the Commonwealth.

A.W. TOZER
Old 07-03-2014, 10:31 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I disagree with that. Everyone knows that William is the next King after Charles' (short) reign, no matter how he is styled.

He (and his wife) needs to be in the public eye with a proper agenda and not give the impression that he is workshy or without a clue about what he wants to do.
I definitely agree with you. Not to mention the fact that William is considerably older than, say, the Princess of Asturias, and that HM and Charles aren't getting any younger. And it can turn out to be very damaging for him to give the impression that he doesn't really want to be a public person*–*there's no such thing as a private King.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:29 PM
Heir Apparent

IMO much of what will determine William's path for the next few years is the health of his grandparents, father and HM's relatives. In 2012-2013 there were serious health concerns for the DoE, DoK and Princess Alexandra. I believe that this was a factor in William having a transition year. Should the DoE and the others had to have retired permanently then I believe that William and Kate would have been required to become full time royals. The three have recovered and appear to have resumed much of their former schedules. At this point in time William can choose to go full time or remain part-time with other forms of public service. We also do not have a message from KP or BP regarding his next step so I plan to wait until we do.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:41 PM
Royal Highness

If William and Catherine were to begin doing royal duties on a regular, 2-3-4 days a week basis, wouldn't that totally overshadow the appearances of Charles and Camilla? Charles could become King at literally any time, and he and Camilla
need to appear large and in charge in the meantime. This has to be in the minds of some who oversee royal appearances and scheduling. It would look
bad for W & C to draw large crowds several times a week if C & C cannot. JMO

Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-03-2014, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post

I agree with Marg, communication re Willams future is desastrous.
Well, in terms of position in line to a throne William is lower - technically his status is not the same as a crown prince.
Maybe my problem with all this is the lack of robust presentation by the Palace, the PR is useless and at times meaningless. They were the ones who inferred a gap year, considering his options for a public role etc - considering his options?!
It should all have been considered and set in stone years ago!
Old 07-03-2014, 02:16 PM
Heir Apparent

I do have a bit of a problem with William and Catherine not working as "full time Royals" yet reaping all the benefits (newly renovated KP apartments, lovely place in Sandringham etc.) as I feel as 2nd in line to the throne he needs to do more. Harry does more than William...

I know Kate has had a baby but he is almost 1 year old. Yes having a one year old is exhausting but she has a full time nanny...as do all the Royal mums. She obviously has time to herself - more time than "normal" new mum's. I am not trying to lessen any of the work that Catherine does, but I just feel that perhaps she could do more. When she does attend an engagement it's always about her dress, her hair and her shoes. I know that isn't her fault - the media are obsessed with her. Perhaps if she did more engagements the press would get bored of commenting on her clothing and focus on the work she is actually doing. That's just my personal opinion.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:46 PM
Aristocracy

Last time I checked the queen isn't dead so there is no need for him to go full time royal...I think Harry quitting his army job was a joke...he should have stayed...and I swear he left it to spend more time with cressida....and look where that got him.

I think most people who comment on royalty and what they should do have too much time on their hands. At the end of the day they don't make any decisions based on any of us...(any of them)
Old 07-03-2014, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iisuzieii View Post
Last time I checked the queen isn't dead so there is no need for him to go full time royal...I think Harry quitting his army job was a joke...he should have stayed...and I swear he left it to spend more time with cressida....and look where that got him.

I think most people who comment on royalty and what they should do have too much time on their hands. At the end of the day they don't make any decisions based on any of us...(any of them)
Too much time on their hands?! Takes no time at all to comment on royalty and what they should do - such as suggesting Harry should have stayed in the army......
Old 07-03-2014, 03:07 PM
Nobility

Color me confused but.. Isn’t Harry still in the army only in a different position? And isn’t an office position normal in the British army while ranking up (or however that’s said)?
Old 07-03-2014, 03:22 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenath View Post
Color me confused but.. Isn’t Harry still in the army only in a different position? And isn’t an office position normal in the British army while ranking up (or however that’s said)?
right on both counts

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 07-03-2014, 03:30 PM
Serene Highness

I clearly remember reading that one of the fondest times of Queen Elizabeth II's life was when she and husband were young married living in Malta. She enjoyed sitting under hairdryer chatting with other young mothers at beauty salon, etc. Just maybe she completely approves of W & K trying to stay as closely as normal to other young couples [as close as possible for royals] until no longer doable. What ever W & K decide in the coming years, the Queen will certainly have to approve. It's the way it works