Duke of Cambridge: What Now for William? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
HM was fortunate that the Duke of Edinburgh took an interest in the private (and public) finances from an early date but even so I don't doubt that HM herself kept an eye on the books as any astute landowner with many disparate assets would. Merely surmising on my part but I'd imagine the private royal finances and spread of investments are somewhat more complex today than they would have been in 1952 and William will need some time to fully understand them. That's if he's interested of course, otherwise he could leave everything in the hands of advisers and accountants, although I'd like to think he's smarter than that.
:previous: agree
In 1952 royal finances were more secure: they didn't pay taxes, didn't pay inheritance taxes (now they must deal about this), received expensive personal gifts (now gifts are part of Royal Collections) and so on.

Charles won't pay inheritance tax on anything he inherits from The Queen.

Actually they did pay income tax until George VI negotiated to stop that due to having to buy properties from his brother and The Queen continued that until 1992 and now pays tax 'voluntarily'.

Charles paid taxes voluntarily from when he took control of the Duchy of Cornwall but reduced the amount when he married claiming that he needed the extra money for Diana's expenses.

There is an article in the express calling out William for not doing engagements unlike his grandfather who is visiting a elderly home.

I don't understand all of this William hate. No one is making Philip do anything that he doesn't want to do. If he wanted to stop, he could stop.

William has been out of the RAF for a just a month. He went to the Tusk Awards and filmed a PSA and then spent 2 weeks in Scotland with his family. This week was spent moving and this Monday he is at the BP honoring football volunteers.

Some people think that he should have done 20 engagements or so by now and this will be the same people who will criticize him if he did 500 engagements a year but his marriage breaks down and George hates him because he is never home.

He isn't PoW or King yet. He should be allowed to carve his own role while spending time with his family.

I don't understand all of this William hate.

I believe this is the beginning of something we all know very well. Remember, Royals are loved when they are young, hated when they are middle-aged, and revered when they are old.

Of course, the Duke of Cambridge isn't middle-aged yet, but, 25 years from now, the current Prince of Wales will be the old and much-beloved King Charles III, Prince William will be the unpopular Prince of Wales (and the media will be alway saying nasty things about the Princess of Wales, I have no doubt), and Prince George of Wales will be popular and young, with the celebrity status Princes William and Harry are now enjoying.

Mark my words, people will be wanting Prince William to renounce his rights to the Throne, so the Crown will skip a generation, and King Charles III will be succeeded by his young and cool grandson.

Prince Charles is becoming more and more popular now, even the number of Camilla-haters is now decreasing, as the Duchess of Cornwall is becoming liked by the people. Media needs to hate someone, and loosers will always need some Royal to complain about at the Daily Mail and Telegraph sites, and the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are the perfect targets for that.

Last edited:
They also make themselves targets by not doing public duties but being quite ready to take the taxpayers money via security and upgrading homes. The public rightly feel they should be getting something in return for their money and at the moment with William they aren't getting that. If he wasn't ready to take up duties he should have stayed in the military.

There are more than a 'few detractors' and polls in papers are notoriously unreliable as the questions can be set up to get the answer the papers/press/organisation want.

Anonymous user names in the comment sections of tabloids can't really be taken seriously, can they? I would think that any detractor who was serious, would be proud to declare their dissatisfaction publicly; otherwise, they're just venting and they don't much care what or who they vent against.

I think its time William and Kate start making some serious plans about their "work"..Actually planning should have been over by now..And do something which the public can appreciate..That is , bluntly speaking, SHOW.
Yes they need to put show for people, thats what most public, or atleast the tabloid-media want.
These vague statements like "plans to assist HM...plans to continue conservative work.." etc etc WILL NOT WORK for public..
Especially when we have two reports each dat about millions being spent on their "not one but two" homes..
I am speaking all this from usual public perspective..

I personally feel William should have spent another year or two in RAF. OK now that he has come out things should move pretty fast. And this seems like a "gap year"..which is IMO inexcusible..in PR point of view. "Taking time to be with baby" is also equally disastrous PR-wise, as an average Joe has only 3 weeks for that, and its long over..

Its really a no win situation with critics...if he is too visible people will think he is overshadowing the queen and not being a good father because he is never home and if he doesn't do many people think he is a lazy royal..but it was already said these projects are going to be done in private over long periods of time

...don't forget Phillip is going against what alot of people want him to do including probably his doctors...but both him and the Queen are going to do the amt of appearances they want despite what people say.

My point in general is people will always complain about something...

Oh yes asking 2,005 people out of a population of 62 million is totally representative! Another inaccurate poll.

The queen is paying for Amner Hall renovations. The 1 million spent on KP would have to be done eventually and is a drop in the pond of public expenditure. The UK taxpayer spent 52 million on the basketball arena for the Olympics which was a temporary venue and taken down and recycled after the games.

Oh yes asking 2,005 people out of a population of 62 million is totally representative! Another inaccurate poll.

Um, that's how statistical sampling works... As long as the sample is randomized, and no selection bias exists...

...this seems like a "gap year"..which is IMO inexcusible..in PR point of view. "Taking time to be with baby" is also equally disastrous PR-wise...
Um...William and Kensington Palace never said he was taking a '"gap year"' or that he was going to be '"taking time to be with baby"'

I think it'd be best to wait for the engagement announcements that have been promised. I am really excited for this new stage for him. I also do not understand the hate especially since most of what everyone is complaining about is wrong information.

I know this has been post before but...

http://www.dukeandduchessofcambridge.org/news-and-diary/8680/press-release

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know, but I am with you on the ridiculousness of people's expectations of this specific couple.

I don't know how many times people have to repeat this but WE KNOW that neither William not Kensington Palace have said he is taking a gap year. That is what us posters have inferred from William's actions and the limited detail in press release.

They also make themselves targets by not doing public duties but being quite ready to take the taxpayers money via security and upgrading homes. The public rightly feel they should be getting something in return for their money and at the moment with William they aren't getting that. If he wasn't ready to take up duties he should have stayed in the military.

vkrish I think its time William and Kate start making some serious plans about their "work"..Actually planning should have been over by now..And do something which the public can appreciate..That is , bluntly speaking, SHOW.
Yes they need to put show for people, thats what most public, or atleast the tabloid-media want.
These vague statements like "plans to assist HM...plans to continue conservative work.." etc etc WILL NOT WORK for public..
Especially when we have two reports each dat about millions being spent on their "not one but two" homes..
I am speaking all this from usual public perspective..

I personally feel William should have spent another year or two in RAF. OK now that he has come out things should move pretty fast. And this seems like a "gap year"..which is IMO inexcusible..in PR point of view. "Taking time to be with baby" is also equally disastrous PR-wise, as an average Joe has only 3 weeks for that, and its long over..
Exactly!!! I am amazed that the slightest critizism towards W&K makes posters 'detractors' :whistling:

The press release gives us no new information it's the same crap we've been given year in year out except this time William isn't in the RAF. We have no confirmation he is increasing his engagements, we have no confirmation of any future tours, we have no confirmation of any increase in any kind of workload. He's basically carrying on as before but he now has no excuse for it, which is totally unacceptable.

He will continue to do this, continue to do that, expand his knowledge blah blah blah.

If he wants to take a year out, spend time with his family, concentrate on certain things that's fine all he has to do is actually ADMIT that's what he's doing.

Actually, the Press Release is quite clear about what the Duke will be doing. To quote:

> The Duke will work closely over the next twelve months with the Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry.
> He will expand his work in the field of conservation, particularly in respect of endangered species.
> The Duke will continue to work with his charities on issues relating to children and young people, veterans and serving members of the Armed Forces.
> The Duke is currently considering a number of options for public service, a further announcement on which will follow in due course

If one has decided that William is taking a gap year, then you can surely interpret the information above as so. In fact, I am sure I you are determined, you can interpret most things to construe anything you so choose! :flowers:

Excellent post. It amazes me the things people blatantly overlook in the press release in order to to just have a go at William. As you pointed out the press release is quite clear what he will focuse on in the coming year.

I agree. It also amazes me how I get so much crap for simply not liking Charlene's fashion choices. You would think I was assassinating her character for not liking her clothing.

Actually, the Press Release is quite clear about what the Duke will be doing.
I beg to differ with you..This press release is not making things quite clear..
In fact it is a VERY VERY VAGUE job description of the centre-most royal, who is at the prime of his age, charm and popularity..
And then what is this..considering a number of options..Please..you dont quit an existing job (unless you hate it) and then start considering options. These options should have been considered and very clear and specific plans made before quitting..
A further announcement on which will follow in due course..THAT SHOULD HAVE COME WITH THE ONE ABOUT QUITTING.. People dont have patience to wait..
And atleast for me..that phrase clearly fits the definition of a gap year..

Maybe it is just me, but what is the big deal what or how he said it?

Maybe it is just me, but what is the big deal what or how he said it?

There's no problem, there's no gap year.

But "people hear what they want to hear".

Some people here are convinced that the Duke of Cambridge is just wasting time and will not work for the next year, and they'll not change their minds.

But, despite his so-called gap year, His Royal Highness has attended an engagement today:

Buckingham Palace football match: Duke of Cambridge warns not to break windows - Telegraph

It is always the same people who choose to look at things from a negative viewpoint. Mostly avowed republicans. You can see them coming a mile off. No sense arguing with them. Ignore works best for that kind.

Some of you think he will be doing NOTHING for a year. That is a load of rubbish he his doing something today. Don't you think this things require a lot of planning in advanced. And on top of all that William has only just moved into his offical residence. Not his fault it took longer than expected.

William just done 7 years as an RAF rescue pilot apparently that is not real work to some on this forum.

I beg to differ with you..This press release is not making things quite clear..
In fact it is a VERY VERY VAGUE job description of the centre-most royal, who is at the prime of his age, charm and popularity..
And then what is this..considering a number of options..Please..you dont quit an existing job (unless you hate it) and then start considering options. These options should have been considered and very clear and specific plans made before quitting..
A further announcement on which will follow in due course..THAT SHOULD HAVE COME WITH THE ONE ABOUT QUITTING.. People dont have patience to wait..
And atleast for me..that phrase clearly fits the definition of a gap year..

Exactly. Internally they will have known for long time that William would quit the Air Force (by the way, I dont think anyone on this forum doesnt consider the RAF work as 'work', completely missing the point).

To me it looks like they are just buying time, a 'gap year in disguise'.

There might be people on this board who look at things from a negative viewpoint and they will have their reasons - that are as valid as the reasons those have who believe every message the palace tries to sell to the public. Its a matter of opinion, not of wrong or right.

The point is that the press release said that William will continue to do what he has been doing. Which was fine because he was also a full-time SAR pilot.

The work in the military has stopped with no indication of what will fill that space/time - because he is considering his options. Come on, it's not as if he has suddenly been made redundant from his SAR job and needs time to think! As a previous poster said, he has had time.

And frankly, conservation of the African Rhino does not rate at the top of the list for most of the public. Worthy, but he needs to take on more stuff at home or in the Commonwealth.

I like this couple and if I knew them as a friend I would be having an eye-ball conversation about not taking the mickey and showing their face on a more regular basis. Catherine will be given more time because of George, but not that much.

Its hard, some of you will say its unfair, but that is how I see it.

:previous: Exactly..this is what I meant in my post # 92. But then people started calling me all sorts of names..:bang:
Anyways what I was saying is the transition should have been handled much better PR-wise..And the planning should have been done much better, well in advance.
One thing is William should take up some appealing causes which the middle-class people can identify with. And I dont think conservation in Africa is that appealing for normal middle-class people.
But if you ask me to suggest one, I frankly cant. Unemployed youth is the best, but Charles has taken that. Maybe Will should work full-time for that..
Charities for children are usually for female royals..not much appealing for William..

Maybe we should start a discussion on which causes William should take up a prime mission in his life..and what will become his identity..
We have to remember that this is the prime time..The goodwill he gets now will be with him forever, even during bad times.. It will always get him some respite and respect evn if everything goes against him. Just like his father got..

Do the Royals, at least in their early years, take up charities based on their "worthiness", or do they take up charities that are closest to their hearts, like we do?

There isn't anything wrong with William spending time on conservation. A larger number of commonwealth countries are in Africa where these animals are being killed in a growing rate for their horn or tusk to be used as medicine which doesn't work. The money from this illegal activity is being used to fund crime and terrorism. The preservation of these animals can help the economies of these countries by providing tourism income. William can bring the worlds attention to causes that aren't chic and popular . There is also three generations of British royals involved in wildlife conservation so he grew up with an appreciation for the natural world.

He wont be allowed to spend an extended time in Africa, it is not safe enough for him and George. Kenya in particular is exceedingly dangerous with white farmers and conservation workers being murdered.

what he needs to do is increase his current workload while he considers his options. Many of you see all this from a distance and with knowledge and interest in royalty. That doesnt apply to the vast majority of the British public who consider that they fund him( and I dont need to be told about royal financing cos I know how it works) and think he should apply himself to British interests full time.

this is in addition to the rubbish written by some aspects of the press saying that he should lessen the workload of DoE and HMQ. No chance, cos he couldnt make them do it. But that story is alive and kicking - and that is unfair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom