Duke of Cambridge: Visit to China - March 1-4, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Prince William coming to China, AsiaOne Asia News
Britain's Duke of Cambridge, Prince William, is scheduled to visit Beijing, Shanghai and Yunnan province starting on March 1, the incoming British ambassador to China, Barbara Janet Woodward, announced on Wednesday in London.

It will be the first visit to the Chinese mainland by a member of the British royal family in almost three decades.

One of the highlights of William's visit will be the Great Festival of Creativity in Shanghai, where he will highlight Britain's contributions to commercial creativity, Woodward said at a Chinese New Year reception, according to sources at the event.

The festival, based at Shanghai's Long Museum, West Bund, runs from March 2 to 4 and will be led by the prince. It will show UK innovation at its best in sectors such as fashion, luxury retail, health, technology and entertainment, and seek opportunities for UK companies to break into China.

The prince is also likely to visit a Shanghai research and development centre of Huawei, the telecommunications network and services provider.

A wildlife conservationist, Prince William will also head to Southwest China's Yunnan province to visit wild elephants and promote wildlife protection, Woodward said.

As William is going to be there representing the UK and his monarch, I seriously doubt that it will be the time and place for William to stand up and make a personal observation and opinion on what he sees anywhere he goes in China. It may, however, give rise to what he'd like to present to his own personal endeavors to make changes to. Its my belief that cancelling a trip to this park because of what may be going on there would be the wrong move. Seeing is believing and it is in believing that one finds things that need changed.

Is it just me or did anyone do a double take on the picture of William in that article? The resemblance to Edward really stands out for me. :D

First off- the animal abuse is appalling- and makes me sick to my stomach!
Secondly, that's not where William's going, so I have no issue with it. ( Him going where he's going.)
I can sure see the problem if William went to the other place- the message it would send- that he endorses cruelty. Which I know he does not. Even so, if he went there, it would send out the wrong message.

I do wish however, that he could visit these animals. Let me explain myself- first let these beings- I have trouble calling those who torture animals brutally people, or human - know that it is not OK.
Second- if done in the correct way, far from endorsing such things, it brings awareness- it got us talking- didn't it?- and until now I didn't know about circus elephant abuse in China- exposes the torture, and works to end it.
Same reasons I wish Catherine and William would/ could visit a EE orphanage for disabled children.
As much as I love animals, deplore animal abusers, and applaud William for his efforts, I do wish he would / could work a little more on the orphanage issue. I just do not understand- people applaud William for spending time saving elephants, yet when I suggest he spend time saving EE orphanage children, people are against him doing so because of politics. And going to such places does not mean you condone them- for ex. Diana did. She did not condone them. But that's a different thread...;) Just saying...

Last edited:
Prince William's China Tour Prep Gathers Pace
A photo exhibition has opened in China ahead of Prince William's visit next month.

The Duke of Cambridge - who does a lot of work for wildlife conservation - will be visiting the country from March 2-4 and he will now be able to take in pictures from the winners of the 2014 British Wildlife Photography Awards (BWPA) at Beijing's Natural History Museum.

Andrew Key, Chargé d'Affaires of the British Embassy, said: "The photographs include magnificent shots of wildlife that showcase the peaceful co-existence of humans and nature. I am glad that we are able to bring these photographs to a Chinese audience, in advance of the visit of the Duke of Cambridge, who has a keen interest in wildlife conservation."

To me, this is a stroke of genius. It very diplomatically links William to his work in conservation of wildlife without him having to make any kind of statement that would or could be deemed political.
I agree. I wonder if this is on part of this new PR person. If all that has happened (concerning D&DoC, not the rest of the family) is the work of the new PR person/team they will do very much good for them!

I also agree that it is an ingenious way of highlight William's concern and interest for wildlife conservation and the Chargé d'Affaires of the British Embassy was very clever with his words.
It is good to get some information rolling about this visit.

Thanks cepe!
I read this earlier today. I must have overlooked it.

Prince William: Diplomatic Duke treads carefully on historic China visit - Telegraph
From the moment the Duke of Cambridge’s plane touches down at Beijing International Airport at around 8.35pm next Sunday he will be making history, even before he begins his busy schedule of meetings and visits.

Stepping on to the tarmac at the airport, designed in part by Norman Foster, the British architect, to resemble a dragon, the Duke will become the first senior member of the Royal family to visit the country since the Queen, nearly thirty years ago.

Even before the Duke sets off on a week-long tour of the Far East commentators are describing the visit to China as a landmark moment; a coming of age in terms of acting for Britain on the world stage and in a country persistently criticised in the West for its human rights record.

Furthermore there is a sensitive history between the Windsors and the Chinese.
Click the link to read more

Prince William of Britain arrives in Beijing - Xinhua | English.news.cn
BEIJING, March 1 (Xinhua) -- Britain's Prince William arrived in Beijing on Sunday evening for his first-ever visit to China.

The four-day tour will also take the Duke of Cambridge to Shanghai and southwestern Yunnan Province. He will attend a series of cultural and public welfare activities there.

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei said in last week that China hopes the prince's visit will help advance Britain's understanding of China, deepen the friendship between the two peoples and boost China-Britain ties.

The prince was invited by the Chinese People's Institute of Foreign Affairs. His wife Catherine, who is expecting their second child, is not accompanying him.

Prior to his China trip, the prince visited Japan.
Commentary: "Field trip" to China a valuable experience for Prince William - Xinhua | English.news.cn
For nearly three decades, no senior British royal family member has set foot on China after Queen Elizabeth II's tour in 1986. The duke of Cambridge's arrival in Beijing later on Sunday is expected to make history.

Though the prince lives far away from China, he will surely have screaming fans and friendly well-wishers along his track in this country, as the Chinese public have demonstrated strong interest in news relating to the British royal family.

The second-in-line to the British throne will have the opportunity to engage directly with Chinese officials, students, ethnic minorities and people from different social communities to learn about the real conditions of China and how Chinese people feel about his country.

These first-hand experiences will become valuable assets for Prince William, an ambassador from London who is keen to help promote commercial and cultural exchanges with Beijing, and may also serve other royal family members with fresh knowledge about China.

Against the backdrop of some Western reports that Prince William will go "behind enemy lines" and take issue with Beijing on ivory ban and African elephant protection, the royalty will learn about China's commitment and efforts on protecting wildlife by visiting an elephant sanctuary in southwest China's Yunnan province.

Video:
Prince William has arrived in Beijing at the start of a 4 day visit to China. It follows a series of earlier engagements in Japan, where the 32 year old royal met the Japanese Premier Shinzo Abe and survivors of the 2011 tsunami-

Home - ITNSource News

Video:
Prince William has arrived in Beijing at the start of a 4 day visit to China. It follows a series of earlier engagements in Japan, where the 32 year old royal met the Japanese Premier Shinzo Abe and survivors of the 2011 tsunami-

Home - ITNSource News
I don't mean to sound rude, it's a honest question. That man "stearing him" by holding out his hand all the way, is he overdoing it or is it how it's done?

I don't mean to sound rude, it's a honest question. That man "stearing him" by holding out his hand all the way, is he overdoing it or is it how it's done?

It must be how things are done there, or he has been told by his superiors to do it that way. I suppose it's better than pointing in the general direction of the exit and tell William to walk towards it!

It must be how things are done there, or he has been told by his superiors to do it that way. I suppose it's better than pointing in the general direction of the exit and tell William to walk towards it!
Haha, true. But since he's encircled by people it's more like following the stream :p Very hard to walk the wrong way. That's why I asked :p Looked a little funny to me :p

:lol: I paid attention to that too. It's just a young man making sure William is walking in the right direction. He showed major dedication to his little job. I like the young man's jacket as well.

Last edited:
:lol: I paid attention to that too. It's just a young man making sure William is walking in the right direction. He showed major dedication to his little job. I like the young man's jacket as well.
Haha, he sure did! My wondering was if it was a Chinese thing or a just this man thing :p

Maybe due the language barrier it's easier to gesture. Places like Japan and China seem like interesting places to visit but I would be totally scared to do it without some sort of tour group do to not being able to read any of the signs and such.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Prince William of Britain Arrives in Beijing -- Beijing Review
Britain's Prince William arrived in Beijing on Sunday evening for his first-ever visit to China. The four-day tour will also take the Duke of Cambridge to Shanghai and southwestern Yunnan Province. He will attend a series of cultural and public welfare activities there.

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei said in last week that China hopes the prince's visit will help advance Britain's understanding of China, deepen the friendship between the two peoples and boost China-Britain ties.

The prince was invited by the Chinese People's Institute of Foreign Affairs. His wife Catherine, who is expecting their second child, is not accompanying him.

Prior to his China trip, the prince visited Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom