The Duke of Cambridge Current Events 2: January 2014 - July 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Duke of Cambridge backs calls for inquiry into three innocent men mown down by a car during England riots in Birmingham in 2011 | Daily Mail Online
The Duke of Cambridge has backed calls for a public inquiry into the case of three men who were mown down and killed by a car during the Birmingham riots of 2011.

MailOnline can exclusively reveal it is the first time Prince William has expressed his support for the idea in the case of Haroon Jahan, 20, and brothers Shazad Ali, 30, and Abdul Musavir, 31.

The trio were killed in Dudley Road in the Winson Green area of Birmingham in the early hours of August 10, 2011 as they tried to protect businesses from looters.

He'll be the King that will speak for those who cannot be heard.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I love this- both because it's true, and how you said it.

I have a lot of sympathy with this view....but
What I don't know is what the laws in China are about importing ivory and rhino horn. According to reports last week the biggest markets for illegal imports are China and US. (I know some posters didn't believe me because of the laws but illegal imports are still happening).
IT may be that Chinese government want to stop/crackdown the illegal trade and maybe this trip could help.
I need more information about the Chinese Government's views.

That is right. I dont mind Prince William Raise the issue of illegal wild life trade when he visits China. But I hope he does more boackground check before speaking out. For example not long before he said ivory is more expensive than gold in China, that leads to rampant illigal poaching, so Chinese government need to do more thing. I dont think that is a right loguc. For example, drug is more expensive in USA than in some country of South American. Is this because USA people like drug more, or USA did less than the south american country? To the contrary, it is because USA has a much stricter rule on drug.

What is the law in China about illegal ivory trade? First of all, we dont allow any ivory import, legal or illegal. second any person who bring more than 30,000 USD into China, the highest penalty is lifetime penalty. 30,000 USD is local price. since ivory in my country is very expensive, if some one buy several hundred bucks ivory from africa and bring them into China, the value of these ivories can easily explode to over 30,000.

To the contrary, legal ivory import is allowed in Japan, so ivory there is not expensive at all.

That is right. I dont mind Prince William Raise the issue of illegal wild life trade when he visits China. But I hope he does more boackground check before speaking out. For example not long before he said ivory is more expensive than gold in China, that leads to rampant illigal poaching, so Chinese government need to do more thing. I dont think that is a right loguc. For example, drug is more expensive in USA than in some country of South American. Is this because USA people like drug more, or USA did less than the south american country? To the contrary, it is because USA has a much stricter rule on drug.

What is the law in China about illegal ivory trade? First of all, we dont allow any ivory import, legal or illegal. second any person who bring more than 30,000 USD into China, the highest penalty is lifetime penalty. 30,000 USD is local price. since ivory in my country is very expensive, if some one buy several hundred bucks ivory from africa and bring them into China, the value of these ivories can easily explode to over 30,000.

To the contrary, legal ivory import is allowed in Japan, so ivory there is not expensive at all.

As William will be visiting China as a representative of HM and the UK, I don't see him bringing the subject up at all. He is not going there to speak on the behalf of United for Wildlife.

:previous: I think it will be mentioned. It is Government policy in both China and UK (as well as US and other nations) to stop the illegal import of ivory and products from other endangered species. In mentioning it, William will be supporting Chinese policy so there won't be an issue.

I think that the Chinese Government hope that William's intervention might help them.

It would only be an issue if William in some way criticised the Chinese approach which will not happen.

:previous: I think it will be mentioned. It is Government policy in both China and UK (as well as US and other nations) to stop the illegal import of ivory and products from other endangered species. In mentioning it, William will be supporting Chinese policy so there won't be an issue.

I think that the Chinese Government hope that William's intervention might help them.

It would only be an issue if William in some way criticised the Chinese approach which will not happen.

We'll know once the itinerary for the trip is announced I guess. Looking forward to following it. :D

I do hope he can speak out on this issue. Although the law here in China is very strict, the implement is poor. Something I admire about Prince William is when he started this campaign of protecting the tusks, he started from his own family. He was reported to want to destroy all ivory artworks in his own family. It might look silly, but that is a good attitude. But I hope that he can quit his hunting hobby, then he would be taken more seriously. Even in China, many people know he and his family like hunting wild animal. So when people hear he criticized China for elephant poaching, many people think he is a hypocrite.

EXCLUSIVE - Prince William: Keep Holocaust memory alive to create safer future - Jewish News
The memory of the Holocaust must be kept alive to “learn from the past and create a safer future”, Prince William has urged. The second in line to the throne described the Nazi genocide as a “monstrous evil” in a message marking the 70th anniversary of the liberation to Auschwitz today.

His highly significant message to the Jewish News marks the Duke of Cambridge’s first ever public comments on the Holocaust or indeed to a specifically Jewish audience on any topic.

He said: “The theme of Holocast Memorial Day 2015 is “keeping the memory alive”. On the 70th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz, we remember all those who suffered so terribly in the monstrous evil of the Holocaust. We must never forget the indescribable suffering, the millions of lives shattered and the human impact behind the statistics.

“The commemorations allow us to honour the victims of one of the darkest chapters in human history and pay tribute t the survivors and their stories of hope. Memories are the legacy for future generations and we must keep these memories alive to learn from the past and create a safer future.”

Sometimes looking back in reflection on a period of man's inhumanity to man can make us realize just how precious life is and serve to remind us that we must never allow something like this to happen again. Ever. To this day, the area around Auschwitz has an eerie feeling. The air is totally still and no birds sing.

I applaud William for making such a heartfelt statement.

Good for William making such a, not only true and pitch perfect statement, but one that you can tell comes from the Heart. Both he and his Father gave excellent statements/speeches on what today truly means IMO.

And now, I'm going to watch the Episode of Band of Brothers where they discover the Concentration Camp. Of all of various films and documentaries in my Collection, it's the one I think is the most fitting one to watch today and to remember.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

As for William making public statements about ivory ban while in China. We should keep in mind that William will be representing the Government and the Queen. He will not say anything that is not approved by the government. To do so would embarrass the Queen.

Also is it generally considered poor manners to insult your host

It's good to see William back on official royal duty. For a minute, I thought he fell off the face of the earth.

It's good to see William back on official royal duty. For a minute, I thought he fell off the face of the earth.

Well, members of the Royal Family cannot be accounted for 24/7, but it shows that William is quietly carrying on as usual with or without too much coverage! :)

Well, members of the Royal Family cannot be accounted for 24/7, but it shows that William is quietly carrying on as usual with or without too much coverage! :)
Exactly. Plus he has probably studied alot both for his helicopter job (to get it out of the way before the tour) but also for this very important tour. It will be a very delicate tour.

A few images and articles from today's investiture:

Prince William admits he's fan of Dragons' Den to James Caan as he's awarded a CBE | Daily Mail Online
Creators of Blood Swept Lands And Seas Of Red honoured by Prince William | UK | News | Daily Express
Prince William carries out investiture ceremony - hellomagazine.com

Sir Adrian Cadbury, former Cadbury UK chairman, becomes a Companion of Honour
Ray Coe receives an MBE for services to education

Among the recipients today were Paul Cummins and Tom Piper (MBEs) for their creation of the Tower Poppies, James Caan (CBE) for services to entrepreneurship and charitable works, and Nikki Gewirtz (MBE) who founded jeweller Lola Rose.

Lovely photos. Cadbury's- yumm! I'm a fan of theirs!;)

Prince William pays secret visit to Britain's spy headquarters - Telegraph
Prince William has secretly visited Britain's most secretive building to see how the communications of suspected terrorists and are foreign spy agencies are monitored.

The prince made his first ever visit last Thursday to Government Communications Headquarters (GCHQ) at Cheltenham, Gloucestershire.

It is believed that he spent around four hours meeting staff and finding out about the maximum security 'listening station' which monitors electronic traffic around the world.

The visit followed reports that William and other young Royals had been warned to change their email addresses and cut back on their use of social media over fears that they could be targeted by foreign spies and hackers.

The Royal Record @TheRoyalRecord · 7h 7 hours ago
From the Court Circular: William held a meeting at SJP for The Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry (3/27)

British Royals @britishroyals · 1m 1 minute ago
Via @KensingtonRoyal: Prince William signs a book of condolence for victims of the #NepalEarthquake
https://twitter.com/britishroyals/status/594125290030256128

Royal Central @RoyalCentral · 11m 11 minutes ago
Prince William's message: "With my deepest condolences to the people of Nepal and my thoughts and prayers to all those affected."

Last edited:
Sheridan Smith was awarded an OBE by Prince William on Thursday afternoon.

The talented actress was honoured for her celebrated career which has seen her become a household name thanks to her roles in successful TV sitcoms, West End musicals and serious dramas.

Looking lovely in dot patterned dress as she revealed that she was overcome with emotion during the Buckingham Palace ceremony.
More: Sheridan Smith honoured with an OBE by Prince William | Daily Mail Online

I really like Sheridan Smith - she a great and versatile actress and doesn't do just comedy. Good to see William doing some more investitures.

I agree that this is a good task for him to take on. It prepares him for his future role and gives his grandmother a bit of a break from her duties.

Well, as I laready said that's the minimum i would expect him to do...

He's been conducting Investitures on The Queen's behalf for a while now. I think William looks best when he's on official duty.

He does look pretty smart in that RAF uniform. ;) Sorry Kate! And he's regal and human all at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom