The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-11-2013, 12:14 PM
Heir Apparent

I highly doubt that Crown Prince Pavlos will be asked to be a god parent. Unlike the continental royals, the Windsor clan cares very little about the other royal houses.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:16 PM
Courtier

I think the palace made it clear there will be pictures and clips. I don't know what everyone is worrying about.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:17 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post

I highly doubt that Crown Prince Pavlos will be asked to be a god parent. Unlike the continental royals, the Windsor clan cares very little about the other royal houses.
The Duke of Edinburgh is a Prince of Greece and Denmark by birth.

The King of the Hellenes are one of The Duke of Cambridge's godparents.

And The Duke of Cambridge is a godparent to one of The Crown Prince's sons.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

From the Daily Mail

Prince George to spend his first Christmas with BOTH sets of grandparents as the Queen 'invites the Middletons to Sandringham' | Mail Online
Old 10-11-2013, 12:40 PM
Courtier

The only thing that I'm getting from this is that people want the British Royals to change their tradition of private Christening because the Continental Royal do Public, Television broadcast Christening
Old 10-11-2013, 12:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianEmpire View Post
The Duke of Edinburgh is a Prince of Greece and Denmark by birth.

The King of the Hellenes are one of The Duke of Cambridge's godparents.

And The Duke of Cambridge is a godparent to one of The Crown Prince's sons.
Still it does not mean that Crown Prince Pavlos will be one of Prince George's god parents.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:50 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Still it does not mean that Crown Prince Pavlos will be one of Prince George's god parents.
We can't be sure, but I think it's very likely.

The British and Greek Royal Families are very close to each other.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:58 PM
Serene Highness

Hopefully, we will get something next week with regards to godparents and a professional photo of the Cambridges perhaps.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
We can't be sure, but I think it's very likely.

The British and Greek Royal Families are very close to each other.
Prince William has got his own circle of people, who can be asked to be his son's god parents. Prince William had no say in selecting his god parents. Prince Charles, not Prince William, may have a close relationship with Crown Prince Pavlos. The ties may not as close as they were in the past.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:09 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Prince William has got his own circle of people, who can be asked to be his son's god parents. Prince William had no say in selecting his god parents. Prince Charles, not Prince William, may have a close relationship with Crown Prince Pavlos. The ties may not as close as they were in the past.
That's okay, but none of arguments changed the fact that The Crown Prince of Greece can be one of Prince George's godparents.

I've never said he will be one of them. I said he can be.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:12 PM
Majesty

Well, it's not too long on us finding out who George's Godparents will be.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 10-11-2013, 02:52 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
Prince George christening: Royals Anne and Sophie left off guest list | Mail Online

Some senior members of the Royal Family have not been invited to Prince George’s christening this month because his parents want it to be an ‘intimate, family affair’, the Daily Mail has learnt.

Prince William’s aunts, Princess Anne and Sophie, Countess of Wessex, have been left off the guest list, the Mail was told last night.

And although Buckingham Palace refused to comment, it seems George’s great-uncles, Prince Andrew and Prince Edward, are also not attending the hugely anticipated event on October 23.
Before I'd read the bottom paragraph about Princes Andrew and Edward not attending either, I was going to say that Prince Edward could go instead of Sophie and take Louise and James with him. As Princess Anne isn't attending, I wonder if Peter and Autumn and Zara and Mike will attend, although I have my doubts.

I knew that Sophie had an engagement on the day of George's christening, but I was quite surprised to read that neither she or Edward will attend as I think the Wessexes are close to the Cambridges. I had a feeling that Anne might not attend because at the time of George's birth she made a comment which was something along the lines of "it's nothing to do with me, but thanks".

IMO those who will defiantly be on the guest list are:

- HM and Prince Philip
- Charles and Camilla
- Harry (and possibly Cressida)
- Carole and Michael Middleton
- Pippa
- James
- Prince George's godparents
"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Join my TRF group about British Royal Children!
Old 10-11-2013, 02:56 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
- Harry (and possibly Cressida)
That would be interesting.

I would like to see Cressida at the christening, but I'm not sure she'll attend.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:59 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
That would be interesting.

I would like to see Cressida at the christening, but I'm not sure she'll attend.
I have my doubts about Cressida's attendance too, but I agree it would be nice if she made an appearance with Harry.
"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Join my TRF group about British Royal Children!
Old 10-11-2013, 03:13 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
... I had a feeling that Anne might not attend because at the time of George's birth she made a comment which was something along the lines of "it's nothing to do with me, but thanks"...
Well, Anne is nothing if not blunt, that's certain.

I'm wondering if her comment came out the wrong way - did she really mean, "I deserve no congratulations here, I had nothing to do with his birth."

Certainly some interesting commentary in the DM, which tends to heavily moderate and only allow certain ones in. Sometimes positive, sometimes negative. There seems to be a lot of commentary blaming Kate for this decision. What makes anyone think it's not Will, the royal, who is the dominant partner in this relationship? I certainly think he is. I think ultimate decisions, such as guest lists, etc, are his. I'll go out on a limb and guess that the list of godparents are reflective predominantly of his choices not hers.

I think the fact of the matter is that Will and Kate are far closer to the Middletons than they are to the Windsors. Watch the wedding video. The only person with whom Will engaged in friendly discourse (or any discourse) was Kate's dad at the altar. The Queen Mother's memorial service found Will and Kate on vacation (was it with her family?). This past Easter and Christmas were spent with the Middletons. They as a couple are closer to the Middletons, fair enough, but I do think that the aunts and uncles who work tirelessly to ensure George's birthright should be at this ceremony, or at least should have been extended an invitation.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
The only thing that I'm getting from this is that people want the British Royals to change their tradition of private Christening because the Continental Royal do Public, Television broadcast Christening
Actually, only the Scandinavian Royals(Norway,Denmark,Sweden) and the Netherlands do lavish and televised public christenings. In the Catholic Royal families of Spain, Belgium and Luxembourg, baptisms are even more private and low key than the Brits.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:08 PM
Courtier

I never saw anything wrong with Princess Anne Comment after Prince George Birth. It just came out wrong but I understood what she meant.

It would kind of be like congratulating my Aunt on the birth of a Great Nephew or Niece (she already has a couple)

Usually congratulations are kept for Patents, Grandparents, Great Grandparents and New Aunts and Uncles of the child.

Although it it nice to compliment a Great Aunts or uncles or well but Anne was probably thinking 'I am just the Great Aunt' Does Anne have any Great Nieces or Nephews from Timothy side?

I don't think she meant to be ride and that was never her intentions but she probably was thinking "why congratulate me? Congratulations should go to William & Catherine, Harry, Pippa Charles, Middletons, The Queen and Prince Philip not me"

I am sure she called William and congratulated him on the birth of his first Child and again when she first saw George and behind Close doors it a safe bet she was one happy aunt and thrilled for William and Catherine and for Charles on the birth of his first grandchild
Old 10-11-2013, 04:14 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Actually, only the Scandinavian Royals(Norway,Denmark,Sweden) and the Netherlands do lavish and televised public christenings. In the Catholic Royal families of Spain, Belgium and Luxembourg, baptisms are even more private and low key than the Brits.
How so? They don't release pictures? I don't see how they can be more low key than the Brits when they do the same things as the Brits which is release professional photos of the Baptism
Old 10-11-2013, 04:27 PM
Courtier

At this point, we still don't know who is or isn't invited. I'm going back and forth on how William and Catherine should handle it. I'm sympathetic to the argument that the parents have the right to limit the guest list to a few close friends and family. There is also the argument that the christening should be a big occasion with senior royals because George may inherit the throne one day. There is also the consideration of how it will look to the public if William and Catherine exclude particular people (William dislikes the royal family, William is shirking his royal duties, etc....)

But setting aside these arguments, I hope William and Catherine consider how senior royals will feel if they are not invited. If Andrew, Edward, Anne, the Kents, and the Gloucesters, and various cousins would only look at this as an obligation, don't invite them. But if they would feel hurt, their feelings should matter too. As Marengo said upthread, having a few more people should add more joy to the occasion, rather than detract from it.

I didn't always understood that when I was younger. I didn't grow up around my grandparents, aunts, and uncles, so it never occurred to me to invite my extended family to my kids' birthday parties until I went to a friend's house for a child's birthday and saw how happy her mother was. After that, I invited my family and I am truly happy I did. My father is gone now and my kids have some great memories and pictures. Now, I have a brother-in-law who has no children and my mother is a widow. I hope my kids ensure they are included in big events in their lives, even if it means that they have to expand the guest list beyond what their ideal.

I guess what I am saying is that William and Catherine have the right to make decisions based on what they want, but part of being a family means that you have to also consider other people. I get the feeling that the Queen and Prince Charles are not trying to interfere in William's decisions. I hope that William responds by taking their wishes and feelings into consideration.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Start with the basic fact that the royals NEVER cancel prior public engagements for private family occasions.

Then we need to understand that as far as the BRF are concerned the christening is a private family occasion (same as the Royal Wedding. I know the ceremony was filmed but little else was and the approach to the guest list (invite who you want first) says it all).

The priority for this occasion was the availability of The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh.

Next the availability of Charles/Camilla and Michael/Carole.

Th availability of Godparents comes next BUT there is a history of some not being available in the past and they have still been godparents.

After that friends and family (in that order as per the wedding).

They are not required to do as per the DM, Telegraph or any other media outlet say. They are not breaking any traditions. The Times today said that the Music Room is were future kings traditionally get christened. I can think of one - Charles. The media are just making it up in order to get hits on their websites.

William and Catherine are planning the christening they want for their first child. As they should.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,

Tags
christening, prince george of cambridge