The UAE Royalty 3: June-July 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
mo looks at abdullah and says longingly 'i want to king'

abdullah looks at mo and says longingly 'i want to be rich'

Originally posted by silver charm@Jul 25th, 2004 - 7:23 pm

Yup :lol:
I was expecting a kiss :heart: guess they'd rather do that in private :blush: :p

Originally posted by silver charm@Jul 26th, 2004 - 12:23 am

:D

You girls crack me up! I'm afraid my parents will place me at a mental hospital soon for breaking out into peals of laughter in front of the computer all the time. :D

Originally posted by La la+Jul 25th, 2004 - 7:53 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (La la @ Jul 25th, 2004 - 7:53 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-silver charm@Jul 26th, 2004 - 12:23 am

You girls crack me up! I'm afraid my parents will place me at a mental hospital soon for breaking out in peals of laughter in front of the computer all the time. :D [/b][/quote]
:lol:

Wow...I am impressed that there are many girls who are soooooooo knowledgeable about the Emirates "princes" :huh:

Originally posted by Humble@Jul 26th, 2004 - 3:53 pm
Wow...I am impressed that there are many girls who are soooooooo knowledgeable about the Emirates "princes" :huh:
soooooooo knowledgeable about the Emirates

you have no idea :innocent:

Originally posted by Humble@Jul 27th, 2004 - 5:21 am
soooooooo knowledgeable about the Emirates

you have no idea :innocent:

Good for you then... ;)

I let the privilege for you gals to be knowledgeable about those emirati "princes" :innocent: :dew: :mrgreen:
Humble I was kidding because I have the same impression
the girls realy so knowledgeable about the Emirates
I and you in the same side here and we need answers :flower:

Originally posted by La la+Jul 26th, 2004 - 1:53 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (La la @ Jul 26th, 2004 - 1:53 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-silver charm@Jul 26th, 2004 - 12:23 am

You girls crack me up! I'm afraid my parents will place me at a mental hospital soon for breaking out into peals of laughter in front of the computer all the time. :D [/b][/quote]
i have the same problem at my work. people come to me and asking me what’s so funny. :shock:

When Rashid marries.. will Haya be at Mo's side at the wedding? And did Mo and Hind have a grand celebration befitting Dubai Royalty - as mo has said he will throw a lavish celebration befitting the Dubai and Jordanian Royals..

Yeah, I think he had a grand celebration when he married Hind. I am sure SC knows more about it. She has seen pictures of their wedding.

mo+hind was in the record books. the area of land that the current trade center is on used to be called 'the wedding grounds' and when maktoum shks got married they held alot of the celebrations there. my friends who lived in dxb when mo+hind tied the knot said that the maktoums fed the city at the wedding grounds for 7 days straight. it was a continous buffet.

mo+haya at rashid's wedding? i have a feeling rashid would probably prefer a goat to haya. also the emirati tradition is that men and women celebrate their weddings seperately: meaning that who ever attends (haya, hind or the goat) will not actually see Rashid during his wedding festivities.

Originally posted by silver charm@Jul 28th, 2004 - 3:44 am
mo+hind was in the record books. the area of land that the current trade center is on used to be called 'the wedding grounds' and when maktoum shks got married they held alot of the celebrations there. my friends who lived in dxb when mo+hind tied the knot said that the maktoums fed the city at the wedding grounds for 7 days straight. it was a continous buffet.

mo+haya at rashid's wedding? i have a feeling rashid would probably prefer a goat to haya. also the emirati tradition is that men and women celebrate their weddings seperately: meaning that who ever attends (haya, hind or the goat) will not actually see Rashid during his wedding festivities.
It's gonna be hard to beat that! I wonder if Mo will outshine his kids' weddings, if he decides to have one? :blink:

Personally, I hope Haya 'n Mo doesn't have a Walimah at all.

Originally posted by silver charm@Jul 27th, 2004 - 10:44 pm

He's going to have a huge celebration.... wonder if Rashid's will be for the record books.. As for Haya and Mo - please, they've proven they have moral or shame..... so those two will have the biggest party they can have.... no matter how ridiculous they look.. :sick:

Well, this is interesting:
July 28, 2004
Arab's Gift to Be Returned by Harvard
By STEPHANIE STROM

arvard University is returning a controversial $2.5 million gift to its donor, the president of the United Arab Emirates.

Harvard said in a statement Monday that the president, Sheik Zayed bin Sultan al-Nahyan, recently asked to withdraw the gift, which was to endow a chair in Islamic religious studies, before it was subjected to a formal deliberation this summer by the university.

Abdulla Alsaboosi, a spokesman at the United Arab Emirates Embassy in Washington, said negotiations between the university and Sheik Zayed's representatives had been going on for several months. "The negotiations were conducted in an atmosphere of cordiality and mutual respect," Mr. Alsaboosi said, "but in the end, since no decision was taken by the university, we felt regretfully that we had no option but to retract the gift."

Students and Jewish organizations had criticized the Harvard Divinity School for accepting the donation, which was made in 2000, because they objected to the sheik's support for a policy research organization, the Zayed International Center for Coordination and Follow-Up in Abu Dhabi, one of the seven states in the United Arab Emirates.

Speakers at the center had included an Arab scholar who has written that Jews use human blood to make pastries and a French author who claims that Israel masterminded the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001 as well as American officials like former Secretary of State James A. Baker III and former Vice President Al Gore. It was closed last summer by the government of the United Arab Emirates, which said that the center had engaged in a discourse that "contradicted the principles of interfaith tolerance" espoused by Sheik Zayed.

Sheik Zayed, whose personal wealth is estimated at $23 billion, supports a variety of causes, including African refugees and public schools in the United States. The controversy over his gift to the divinity school, which had been sought by the university, caused several institutions to reconsider contributions he had given them.

Rachel Fish, the divinity school student who led the movement against Sheik Zayed's gift shortly before she graduated last year, could not be reached for comment.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/28/educatio...CmnvMl/5tgvi31Q

Originally posted by QueenB@Jul 27th, 2004 - 7:44 pm
When Rashid marries.. will Haya be at Mo's side at the wedding? And did Mo and Hind have a grand celebration befitting Dubai Royalty - as mo has said he will throw a lavish celebration befitting the Dubai and Jordanian Royals..

Originally posted by Bubbette@Jul 29th, 2004 - 12:10 pm
July 28, 2004
By STEPHANIE STROM

arvard University is returning a controversial $2.5 million gift to its donor, the president of the United Arab Emirates.

Harvard said in a statement Monday that the president, Sheik Zayed bin Sultan al-Nahyan, recently asked to withdraw the gift, which was to endow a chair in Islamic religious studies, before it was subjected to a formal deliberation this summer by the university.

Abdulla Alsaboosi, a spokesman at the United Arab Emirates Embassy in Washington, said negotiations between the university and Sheik Zayed's representatives had been going on for several months. "The negotiations were conducted in an atmosphere of cordiality and mutual respect," Mr. Alsaboosi said, "but in the end, since no decision was taken by the university, we felt regretfully that we had no option but to retract the gift."

Students and Jewish organizations had criticized the Harvard Divinity School for accepting the donation, which was made in 2000, because they objected to the sheik's support for a policy research organization, the Zayed International Center for Coordination and Follow-Up in Abu Dhabi, one of the seven states in the United Arab Emirates.

Speakers at the center had included an Arab scholar who has written that Jews use human blood to make pastries and a French author who claims that Israel masterminded the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001 as well as American officials like former Secretary of State James A. Baker III and former Vice President Al Gore. It was closed last summer by the government of the United Arab Emirates, which said that the center had engaged in a discourse that "contradicted the principles of interfaith tolerance" espoused by Sheik Zayed.

Sheik Zayed, whose personal wealth is estimated at $23 billion, supports a variety of causes, including African refugees and public schools in the United States. The controversy over his gift to the divinity school, which had been sought by the university, caused several institutions to reconsider contributions he had given them.

Rachel Fish, the divinity school student who led the movement against Sheik Zayed's gift shortly before she graduated last year, could not be reached for comment.

this has been going for ages. there was an online petition for harvard to accept the gift. the comments on the petition were quite interesting.

i would write what i think of harvard and their refusal of the gift but then that would probably get me arrested in the states and knighted in the emirates. to be perfectly honest, shk zayed is one of the most honorable men on this planet and he is renonwed for his generosity when it comes to education. and this refusal just smacks of ignorance and paranoia.

there is a story of shk zayed when he first traveled to england with the late shk rashid (pre formation of the uae) and when they got there shk zayed was completely impressed with the health clinics and schools everywhere. and he looked to shk rashid and said 'let's do this back home'. ---i'm sure an emirati knows this story much better than i.

now the emirates have schools & clinics on what seems to be every street corner.

if harvard doesn't want the money or feels it is tainted although it comes from the most noble and generous hands-then i'm sure shk zayed won't have any problems finding some school who would be more than happy to stem the anti-Arab & anti-Muslim tide and accept the money and endow a professorship in one of the fastest growing and most misunderstood religions on the planet.

This just proves Harvard might be good. But it is far from great.

Speakers at the center had included an Arab scholar who has written that Jews use human blood to make pastries and a French author who claims that Israel masterminded the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001
Doesn't sound like he is honorable to me since this is what he supports. And we have full freedom of expression here, so post what you like.

Originally posted by silver charm+Jul 29th, 2004 - 9:09 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (silver charm @ Jul 29th, 2004 - 9:09 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Bubbette@Jul 29th, 2004 - 12:10 pm
July 28, 2004
By STEPHANIE STROM

this has been going for ages. there was an online petition for harvard to accept the gift. the comments on the petition were quite interesting.

i would write what i think of harvard and their refusal of the gift but then that would probably get me arrested in the states and knighted in the emirates. to be perfectly honest, shk zayed is one of the most honorable men on this planet and he is renonwed for his generosity when it comes to education. and this refusal just smacks of ignorance and paranoia.

there is a story of shk zayed when he first traveled to england with the late shk rashid (pre formation of the uae) and when they got there shk zayed was completely impressed with the health clinics and schools everywhere. and he looked to shk rashid and said 'let's do this back home'. ---i'm sure an emirati knows this story much better than i.

now the emirates have schools & clinics on what seems to be every street corner.

if harvard doesn't want the money or feels it is tainted although it comes from the most noble and generous hands-then i'm sure shk zayed won't have any problems finding some school who would be more than happy to stem the anti-Arab & anti-Muslim tide and accept the money and endow a professorship in one of the fastest growing and most misunderstood religions on the planet.

This just proves Harvard might be good. But it is far from great. [/b][/quote]
"It was closed last summer by the government of the United Arab Emirates, which said that the center had engaged in a discourse that "contradicted the principles of interfaith tolerance" espoused by Sheik Zayed."

Perfectly put, Silver Charm! Simply perfect.

Originally posted by silver charm+Jul 29th, 2004 - 4:09 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (silver charm @ Jul 29th, 2004 - 4:09 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Bubbette@Jul 29th, 2004 - 12:10 pm
July 28, 2004
By STEPHANIE STROM

This just proves Harvard might be good. But it is far from great. [/b][/quote]
i agree with you,can you please e-mail to shk zayed and ask him to give his money to morocco shools, i know shk zayed will listen to you.we will appriachiate ;)

Originally posted by gusto+Jul 29th, 2004 - 5:40 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (gusto @ Jul 29th, 2004 - 5:40 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by silver charm@Jul 29th, 2004 - 4:09 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-Bubbette
@Jul 29th, 2004 - 12:10 pm
July 28, 2004
By STEPHANIE STROM

This just proves Harvard might be good. But it is far from great.
i agree with you,can you please e-mail to shk zayed and ask him to give his money to morocco shools, i know shk zayed will listen to you.we will appriachiate ;) [/b][/quote]
im sure shk zayed gives money to morrocan schools. he is very generous with schools. i think i remember reading something about him being in his palace in morroco and receiving guests. so if baba zayed has a palace in morroco-he probably donates tons of money to schools in morocco.

he is also very quiet about his generosity (unlike some other shks in the uae). so i don't know if it would be well known if he has given money or not.

Every string attached donation is needed to be evaluated. harvard is being careful not ignorant as you suggested. Quite frankly, I found terms such as "noble" and "generous" coming from a tightly controlled country for a non-elected leader are very biased. He may have a fortune to spread, but to say he will squander on good will alone is too simplistic. remember we are talking about politics.

Originally posted by lori@Jul 29th, 2004 - 5:45 pm
Every string attached donation is needed to be evaluated. harvard is being careful not ignorant as you suggested. Quite frankly, I found terms such as "noble" and "generous" coming from a tightly controlled country for a non-elected leader are very biased. He may have a fortune to spread, but to say he will squander on good will alone is too simplistic. remember we are talking about politics.
good point. you must always know the conditions of acceptance. in legal terms it is called 'due diligence'. harvard has every right to figure out where the money came from. but after three years-the grant should be withdrawn. i hope some other university starts the program. it would be fantastic to be able to discuss and explore Islam academically in a top notch Uni-like what is widely available for Christianity and Judaism.

but please enlighten yourself to the life of baba zayed before you dismiss him due to his autocractic leadership. the bandwagon to demonize non-elected leaders is very seductive but not well informed. there are some horrible rulers in the Arab world with gallons of blood on their hands but Baba Zayed is NOT one of them.

democracy does not fix all ills. wise leadership does.

Originally posted by silver charm@Jul 28th, 2004 - 3:44 am
also the emirati tradition is that men and women celebrate their weddings seperately: meaning that who ever attends (haya, hind or the goat) will not actually see Rashid during his wedding festivities.
What about the walimah? Do men and women mingle during Walimah? Kinda weird that the mother of the groom can't see her son.

Originally posted by La la+Jul 29th, 2004 - 6:00 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (La la @ Jul 29th, 2004 - 6:00 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-silver charm@Jul 28th, 2004 - 3:44 am
also the emirati tradition is that men and women celebrate their weddings seperately: meaning that who ever attends (haya, hind or the goat) will not actually see Rashid during his wedding festivities.
What about the walimah? Do men and women mingle during Walimah? Kinda weird that the mother of the groom can't see her son. [/b][/quote]
the boys celebrate in their own tent/ballroom whatever. and the girls in theirs.

i don't know if their is a private party where the close friends of the bride and groom are in attendane with the bride and groom. i would hope so.

and really can someone please tell me why tents are erected in a place that only rains 3 days a year????

Originally posted by silver charm@Jul 29th, 2004 - 5:00 pm
but please enlighten yourself to the life of baba zayed before you dismiss him due to his autocractic leadership. the bandwagon to demonize non-elected leaders is very seductive but not well informed. there are some horrible rulers in the Arab world with gallons of blood on their hands but Baba Zayed is NOT one of them.

How do you suppose a foreigner to gather information in a society where press is totally controlled, if CIA is unable to reach, you think a simple journalist would and without censors? Good deeds are always done in public which is what everyone saw and why you knew it, but being a criticial reader, it's my policy to always look to where is not said, and always question the infomration presented to the public. I am not saying he is not donating money left and right, just the agenda behind it. That's why the receiver should always follow their procedures.
I agree democracy does not fix all ills, but I believe wise elected leadership does because there is an accountability where non-elected leaderships don't have to abide by.

Originally posted by lori+Jul 30th, 2004 - 2:14 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lori @ Jul 30th, 2004 - 2:14 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-silver charm@Jul 29th, 2004 - 5:00 pm

How do you suppose a foreigner to gather information in a society where press is totally controlled, if CIA is unable to reach, you think a simple journalist would and without censors? Good deeds are always done in public which is what everyone saw and why you knew it, but being a criticial reader, it's my policy to always look to where is not said, and always question the infomration presented to the public. I am not saying he is not donating money left and right, just the agenda behind it. That's why the receiver should always follow their procedures.
I agree democracy does not fix all ills, but I believe wise elected leadership does because there is an accountability where non-elected leaderships don't have to abide by. [/b][/quote]
I believe in democracy and I believe that the Emirates have "lucked out" so to speak on their leaders. However I have to agree with SC. One thing I can say about non-elected leaders is this is a life long obligation.

Have you ever worked a temp job before. If you have, the ultimate out come didn't seem so important as it might in your chosen career.

Unlike a US government which changes every 4-8 years, like a temp job. Some one like Sheikh Zayed or Sheikh Mohammed realizes this is their life from the time they were born until the time they die. The success of their country is a direct reflection of what kind of leader they are. Mind you they are not in a dictatorship. There is a federation that is just waiting for one of them to make a mistake. It is not a true monarchy. There is grooming of leaders going on but no sure thing. The ones that are being "groomed" are the ones who are being most scrutinized by their families the federation and the people.

What makes you think the hands of elected officials are any cleaner then appointed ones? Did you see Fahrenheit 9/11? Where is the accountablity there. Or how about Water Gate? Or do we all remember "I am not a crook".

"democracy does not fix all ills. wise leadership does..." elected or not.

It's ignorant to judge everything from the vantage Western point of view and expect others to submit to our "sensibilities". It's good to be critical but you can't categorize a source as unreliable just because it doesn't favour your position or differ from our mentality and set of values. If Gulf newspapers are biased so is Western media. How come we think we are right and everyone else that doesn't follow us is wrong? But things are improving! Internet is a fast growing foretaste of freedom of speech.

We are aware of his foibles and fallibilities but they fall into his private life. As Noura mentioned, the success and unity of these emirates speak volumes of his leadership qualities/skills. Not many Westerners are acquainted with the names of their respective ministers (I'm not) but this is not the case in the UAE. They have a better direct access and interaction with their leaders. Everyone knows what they are upto.

Just because a leader/ruler is not elected according to Western standards need it not mean he cannot be generous and noble. I'm sure no election will be held as long as he is alive (although he would definitely win with an absolute majority), and this not out of fear but out of respect and loyalty to him. This is a logic most Westerners will never understand but have to learn to respect.

BBC – Country Profile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom