The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 06:44 AM
Nobility

If Madeleine was my daughter, I would be give her a call right about now to say you've had a long enough time to recover from your troubles, you've had your fun now get your butt on that plane and come home or else! I thnk its time for her to come home and either work as a full time princess or find a paying job

Old 05-06-2011, 10:54 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Felicity M View Post
If Madeleine was my daughter, I would be give her a call right about now to say you've had a long enough time to recover from your troubles, you've had your fun now get your butt on that plane and come home or else! I thnk its time for her to come home and either work as a full time princess or find a paying job
... that's pretty much what happened.. according to that news article posted earlier. The king had to lay down the law.. what else could he have done.

Does anyone know if this relationship is still going? I heard that Madeleine presented him to the Queen when she visited recently in New York which I think was also about the same time that she fell trying to get away from the paparazzi.

Meet The Lucky Wall Streeter Who's Dating A Swedish Princess

Old 05-19-2011, 02:02 PM
Commoner

I know this is going to sound frivolous, but I had a look at pics of Madeleine in San Fran. and I really like her hair, very natural and pretty.

More mature look for her, either that or the king won't pay for highlights anymore :p
Old 05-22-2011, 04:06 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Felicity M View Post
Thank you! All Madeleine does is triapse around the US nowadays doing absolutely nothing. I swear, her and her brother Carl Philip don't do {edit-JessRulz} anything. Hell, she's not even living in the country she's supposed to represent. As far as I'm concerned, the Swedish monarchy is a waste of time and taxpayers money.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:09 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
She could at least make a trip to Sweden once a month or so. The Swedish people are paying for her apartment, her transportation, her shopping, her meals (including unnecessary cocktails and eating at high end restaurants, etc). So the least she could do is show up or start making her own money. Like I said the king has got to put his foot down.
Exactly. Why should the Swedish people pay for all of her expenses while she plays around in the US? Hell, she doesn't even return to Sweden often these days. If she's just gonna party and live in the US, she should get a job of her own and taxpayers shouldn't have to pay for her expenses anymore.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:52 PM
Aristocracy

Traveling to Sweden once a month would not be enough to justify supporting her, she's adult she needs to support herself. She is going to be 29 next month and if being a princess is too stressful for her then she should just give it up.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:26 PM
Commoner

Boy! You guys are rough on Madeleine. According to the director of the World Childhood Foundation, she is indeed working in New York learning the administrative side of the organization from the bottom up.
http://http://www.royaltyinthenews.c...ess-madeleine/
I feel fairly certain that she is being groomed to step into her mother's shoes when she retires as the head of World Childhood Foundation, which she founded. Victoria will be far too busy to do it when she becomes queen.

In addition, let me just add one personal note. I had a very similar thing happen to me that Madeleine went through. Until a person experiences it personally, there's no way to explain the degradation, the humiliation, the embarrassment, the hurt and the anger that you feel. It took me years to get over it; in fact, there are times all these years later when it still haunts me. And I didn't have the press breathing down my neck.

Cut the girl a little slack. Until you've walked a mile in someone's shoes and all that.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:32 PM
Majesty

While she may be being groomed to take over from her mother it is obviously NOT a full time job or the Queen would have had to take up residence in the USA!

Madeleine needs to get a life, any life but that of a spoilt dilettante. The people of Sweden should not have to support this woman's lifestyle. If, however, her father wishes to support her in her present lifestyle he should make his position clear to the country. Sweden does not need to support members of the SRF who do not pay their way.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwesterngrad View Post
In addition, let me just add one personal note. I had a very similar thing happen to me that Madeleine went through. Until a person experiences it personally, there's no way to explain the degradation, the humiliation, the embarrassment, the hurt and the anger that you feel. It took me years to get over it; in fact, there are times all these years later when it still haunts me. And I didn't have the press breathing down my neck.

Cut the girl a little slack. Until you've walked a mile in someone's shoes and all that.
ok its hard, but unlike you, she was born a swedish princess, and she has a duty to her country. ok it was horrible and that guy needs a lesson, but you need a full year to travel to other country and do nothing besides party with friends and go shopping? im sure that when that happened to you, you didnt stop working (if you're an adult, or if you're a student im sure you didnt skip classes forever).
so what i mean is, no matter what sad and horrible things do to us, life doesnt stop, and we have our friends and family support, and in madeleine's case, a duty to her country!!!
Old 05-24-2011, 01:02 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
While she may be being groomed to take over from her mother it is obviously NOT a full time job or the Queen would have had to take up residence in the USA!

Madeleine needs to get a life, any life but that of a spoilt dilettante. The people of Sweden should not have to support this woman's lifestyle. If, however, her father wishes to support her in her present lifestyle he should make his position clear to the country. Sweden does not need to support members of the SRF who do not pay their way.
Please leave the people of Sweden out of your arguments. We have no problem with her life. If she chooses to live in NY it is perfectly fine with most of us. She is independently wealthy and can do as she pleases and if her dad wants to support her that is fine too. Sweden is a small country and there is no need for more royals to attend most functions. She will have a much greater impact on the world with the work she is doing now than if she were cutting ribbons. The organization has fulltime staff to run it but the Queen as the founder and power behind it is very influential. That position will most likely be taken over by Madeleine one day.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:29 AM
Aristocracy

The problem isn't that her father is supporting her, because as you say the family is wealthy. The problem is the that money isn't coming form the families private wealth but rather out of the tax papers money that the king receives to carry out his job. I would have no problem with her living off of their money, but shes still receiving money that is meant to be used to carry out duties on the behalf of the country. She shouldn't be payed for work that shes not doing, and that's not being 'rough on her', that's expecting her to adhere to a set of ethics that is applied to everyone royal or not. If shes wants to take over for her mother then good for her, but that's something she needs to do on her own without a state appendage.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:08 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the only two people who received money from the Swedish government were the King and Crown Princess Victoria? Then through the money they each receive, they support their spouses (Queen Silvia and Prince Daniel, respectively) and the King his two other children (Carl Philip and Madeleine).

If this is right, Madeleine is (the way I see it) not being paid by the state to do work in Sweden. She is just being given money by her father, who is most likely within his legal rights to dish out the money as he pleases. Is this "appropriate"? Only the Swedish people should have a say in this, and if they haven't kicked up a stick about it so far, who are we to complain?
Old 05-24-2011, 11:14 AM
Aristocracy

Your correct that the king is the one that receives it and that it is "right to dish out the money as he pleases" but does that make it right? The money he receives has a purposes and that is not to support 29 year old child. It sounds like the argument your trying to make is that its okay to do something wrong as long as no one complains? Shouldn't the family be held up to a certain standard? I'm not trying to pick on Madeleine just for the sake of it, but the way I see it this is an actually issue. I think more or less the same about Carl Phillip, while he does do things here and there isn't anywhere near enough to be considered full time. Both children need to decide if they want to be working members or not.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:23 PM
Aristocracy

all this stink about Princess Madeleine wasting tax payers money is silly. All the royal families of europe are a waste of taxpayer money and every government in europe and the world wastes hundreds of billions of dollars every year.....
But being a royalist if they are going to waste money id rather it be on royal families and Madeleine then some useless government program that does nothing.

besides she will most likely marry this new beau and live in the US give up her HRH title and rarely come back to Sweden and spend the rest of her life in Manhattan and spending her summers in the Hamptons
Old 05-24-2011, 01:40 PM
Commoner

The king receives money to support his family and maintain a lifestyle as he sees fit. If he chooses to continue to support Madeleine and Carl Phillip, it's his business. CP LIVES in Sweden. I don't see him working very hard for his country.

I agree. It is nobody's business. If she wants to live in the U.S., we welcome her. Now, if the people of Sweden have a problem with that, they need to address it.

The rest of us just need to mind our business, which is NOT Princess Madeleine's lifestyle. After all, she's not the first princess to move to the United States.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:01 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnana View Post
Your correct that the king is the one that receives it and that it is "right to dish out the money as he pleases" but does that make it right? The money he receives has a purposes and that is not to support 29 year old child. It sounds like the argument your trying to make is that its okay to do something wrong as long as no one complains? Shouldn't the family be held up to a certain standard? I'm not trying to pick on Madeleine just for the sake of it, but the way I see it this is an actually issue. I think more or less the same about Carl Phillip, while he does do things here and there isn't anywhere near enough to be considered full time. Both children need to decide if they want to be working members or not.
I'm not saying that something is wrong as long as no one complains, my point is who are we - as Australians, Americans, non-Swedes who do not pay taxes in Sweden - to complain about how the King dishes out his money? IMO, that should be left to the Swedes - and until they do something about the situation, one can only assume they don't care whether Madeleine and Carl Phillip do next to no duties in Sweden or not. Whether or not the whole situation is right or not, is again, up to the Swedish people to decide. If they thought that Madeleine should come back to Sweden and be a full-time royal, or stay in the States and give up her title, they should do something about it. But then, I suppose if she chose the latter option, there is still a likely chance that her father would still provide her with monetary support to keep her in the "lifestyle to which she is accustomed" (much like in high-profile divorces) and people would be up in arms about that as well.

And yes, I do agree that the royal family should be held to a certain standard, one which is higher than "normal" people. They all should, because they are representatives of their nation. Whether they act to that higher standard is the real issue.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:25 AM
Majesty

I know she does charity work but,if she spends most of time in America doing "nothing" she dosent need money from taxpayer!Queen Beatrix's two youngest sons have jobs,royals who are going not to be monarch should take a cue from them and get a real job.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:14 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
I know she does charity work but,if she spends most of time in America doing "nothing" she dosent need money from taxpayer!Queen Beatrix's two youngest sons have jobs,royals who are going not to be monarch should take a cue from them and get a real job.
Again! I ask! What business is it of ours as United States citizens to criticize how the Swedish king takes care of his family? We do not live in a monarchy, so her lifestyle may seem frivolous to us, but we are not paying for it.

If the Swedes get tired of CP and Madde living off their taxes, I assume they will let their voices be heard.

Strangely enough, the complaints I have seen on this thread are coming from people in other countries...not Sweden. Maybe we need to hear from our Swedish friends on how they feel about CP's and Madeleine's lifestyles.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:53 PM
Courtier

Oh please, this is an opinion board, everybody has a right to say what they like (within reason, of course, no profanity), no matter whence they originated from.

And on that score, Madeline doesn't fool me, she's just another rich spoiled *girl*, one that doesn't impress me whatsoever.

[edit-JessRulz]

BRING ON CROWN PRINCESS VICTORIA, ONE DAY TO BE QUEEN VICTORIA, SWEDEN'S OWN, IMPECCABLE IN EVERY WAY!!!!
Old 05-28-2011, 02:47 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwesterngrad View Post
Strangely enough, the complaints I have seen on this thread are coming from people in other countries...not Sweden. Maybe we need to hear from our Swedish friends on how they feel about CP's and Madeleine's lifestyles.
Aftonbladets survey about the Royal Family had them tie the bottom place at around 15-20 % liking them. Madeleine is more and more getting the stigma of spoiled kid that only wants to party and Carl-Philip, well just say people dont know what he wants to do with his life other than playing with cars.