Princess Madeleine, Current Events Part 8: May 2010 - June 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I´ve been looking at the photos during the years, the majority of the guests are elderly people. So getting a young princess there is a good thing which gets younger people interested at the Salzburg Festival (maybe just not the Amadeus Weekend). I´m sure that there are a lot of new people, like me, who had never heard about Salzburg Festival before now...

My dear let me tell you something: it doesn't matter IF there are elderly people or not, anybody who is a part of the absolute high-society visits the Salzburg Festivities at least once in their life. They don't need PR in form of Pr. Madeleine, since the beginning of the festivities there have always been members of the different royal families in the world. The festivities are an absolute must if you are a member of the high society. These elderly people you see are members of a.) the Austrian and German nobility or b.) members of the absolute international high-society. Just because you have never heard about the Festivities doesn't mean they are not internationally well-known so maybe you should get some informations about the importance of the Salzburg Festivities ... .

I don't like the whole fur getup.
It's not classy to have a cigarette in hand all the time...especially when you're at an event like that. Where does Madeleine find these men.

This was my first thought when I saw them together. Judging from the pictures he comes across as sleazy and tacky with the Marlboro pack in his hands. I'm getting the playboy vibe and that it will all end in tears, again.
http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/1439/newscomzumawirewestphot.jpg

I am glad that Madeleine is off the Barbie haircolour, although this new colour looks abit strange.

Duke of Marmalade said:
This was my first thought when I saw them together. Judging from the pictures he comes across as sleazy and tacky with the Marlboro pack in his hands. I'm getting the playboy vibe and that it will all end in tears, again.
http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/1439/newscomzumawirewestphot.jpg

I am glad that Madeleine is off the Barbie haircolour, although this new colour looks abit strange.

Madeleine has a type -- comes from a certain type of family, financier/lawyer, and usually not good for her in the long-run. Thats just what I see.

i think she should take her time after the breack up , 1 or 2 years before starting knew relationship

Madeleine has a type -- comes from a certain type of family, financier/lawyer, and usually not good for her in the long-run. Thats just what I see.

Well, I do not think, that the subject is the job role..... it is more the "type of guy, you are falling in love". In her case it is a good looking, successful, rich, international flair and -- yes, maybe -- a womanizer type of guy. This is a kind of "imprinting" in her ideal picture of a man -- and seldomly you can do something against this, as other man simply are not interesting enough for her personal taste of an "ideal man".
It may end in tears as well, but only time will tell. I really wish her the best, she has deserved it. And. hopefully learned from her last desaster.
BYe Bine

Is Maddie still traipsing aimlessy around the world with no real plan for her life?

:previous: Sadly, that seems to be the case. :sad:

I don't think so. She has worked on a very regular basis for the WCF in NY this past year and is planing to do so again starting this fall. She said in an interview a while ago that she really likes her work there and wants to keep working there. This doesn't struck me as "traipsing aimlessly around the world" to me. Maybe for others. I don't know. But then I would really like to know what you expect her to do. Care to explain?

I think the problem is people want to actually see her doing something useful. Whenever we see a pic of her it's usually
When she's shopping or out and about with Chris. I think if she had more photo op's pertaining to WCF then we'd have a better idea of her hard work. We can see that Victoria, the king and queen, all work hard but unfortunately we can't see that with Madeleine...so it raises a few questions.

The sad thing is, no matter how hard she works she'll always be labeled as the spoiled brat princess, who ran to America to escape her bad breakup. Unlike Victoria, who has a hard working image, Madeleine image is still that of a carefree, party girl. She'll have to work very, very hard to shed that label off of her.

Neverless,I bet she is so happy to finally be an aunt!

I think the problem is people want to actually see her doing something useful. Whenever we see a pic of her it's usually
When she's shopping or out and about with Chris. I think if she had more photo op's pertaining to WCF then we'd have a better idea of her hard work. We can see that Victoria, the king and queen, all work hard but unfortunately we can't see that with Madeleine...so it raises a few questions.

The sad thing is, no matter how hard she works she'll always be labeled as the spoiled brat princess, who ran to America to escape her bad breakup. Unlike Victoria, who has a hard working image, Madeleine image is still that of a carefree, party girl. She'll have to work very, very hard to shed that label off of her.

Unless the work of WCF don´t makes sense I do not understand what Madeleine can do instead? Perhaps I missed something and you could be kind enough to explain what is more meaningful!?

Last edited:

The "problem" here isn't something Madeleine can change. Because while she is doing usual office stuff no-one makes photos. 1) because this work is unspecial everyday stuff which most of us know from our own jobs and 2) because there aren't just any reporters or papparazzi present every time she picks up the phone or brings a dokument from room A to B. But that doesn't mean she isn't working hard. It just doesn't show. And if people don't see that it's their problem and not Madeleines.

It's also not her problem that her sister and parents have more public jobs than her. And no-one should forget that Victoria and her parents are working for the state while Madeleine and Carl Philip are just unpaid back-ups. So no-one has a right IMO to expect anything more from her and/or her brother than what she and/or he is giving.

Also there seems to be an issue with some that Madeleine has never done any kind of paid work.

People don't think the job at WCF is paid? People have to applaude her then for working hard there all year around and not even getting paid. Very generous of her.

People don't think the job at WCF is paid? People have to applaude her then for working hard there all year around and not even getting paid. Very generous of her.
People would applaude her if she wasn't instead paid from the appanage of King, as confirmed by Mr. Terner. So de facto all Swedes are supporting charity, I think we have to applaud them and not Madde.

i think she should take her time after the breack up , 1 or 2 years before starting knew relationship
What is the best cure for a broken heart?
New love.

If she this time has chosen well...time will tell.

People would applaude her if she wasn't instead paid from the appanage of King, as confirmed by Mr. Terner. So de facto all Swedes are supporting charity, I think we have to applaud them and not Madde.
I think the problem lies in the perception that she doesn't "work", i.e. 9am - 5pm, 5 days a week.

Her work seems to be slotted between society lunches and jetset holidays. It is said she is taking over the job from her mother but the problem with that is the her mother never needed to be in NY and certainly didn't work 5 days a week on this charity.

According to it's webpage Childhood's governing body is located in Stockholm, which, if my geography is correct, is in Sweden. Madeleine is merely an honorary member of the Board of Directors of the American Board located in NYC. There are no news releases on the web regarding Madeliene's secondment to the board or indeed her function.

So the question remains, what does she do to justify being paid, handsomely (if the shopping and holidays are anything to go on), by the Swedish taxpayer?

Is she really is goint to take over her mother's position as Patron why are the conditions and terms of mentoring, etc. not in the public domain. Is she going to serve an apprenticeship on the board's of all the countries "Childhood" has offices?

Last edited:

First: As I stated numerous times before, Madeleine doesn't need to work for the money her father already has worked for. It's just like you don't need to work for the money your father earns for the family (or has, because maybe now you're earning money yourself).

And second: Yes, the Swedes may be supporting the charity, but Madeleine is actually working to do charity. That's a big difference. It's just like always saying you're okay with organ donation or actually having an organ donor card. I don't want to make her a saint. I just want to clearify what I mean.

I think the problem lies in the perception that she doesn't "work", i.e. 9am - 5pm, 5 days a week.

Her work seems to be slotted between society lunches and jetset holidays. It is said she is taking over the job from her mother but the problem with that is the her mother never needed to be in NY and certainly didn't work 5 days a week on this charity.

First: She did exactly that last year as she said in an interview a few weeks ago.

And second: Madeleine has the time to work 5 days a week and has enough freedom to choose where to work for the WCF. Her mother didn't have that because in her job as Queen of Sweden she has many other responsibilities, too. She simply couldn't work 5 days a week for WCF. Madeleine can and it makes sense for her to not work in Stockholm but in a city of a country where WCF works hard to be more etablished in helping children this was also said by Madeleine in the aformentioned interview.

People shouldn't forget that she (just like her brother) is just an extra. A freebie so to speak. It's nice to have her on occasions but she (like CP) is not really needed for the monarchy to continue. For her (like CP) it's not a big problem to work abroad. Her parents just like Victoria and Daniel simply never had and never will have this kind of freedom because of their roles in the swedish monarchy.

Last edited:
I am proud proud

"Appanage" originates from France where it was the word for the money that the king not first-born children received. The oldest son was always king, and to support the younger children had the money, land or other property. The king has chosen not to list their expenses appanage used to though apanaget is taxpayers' money. We may have opinions on this but it is in accordance with the Swedish Constitution. To say that Madeleine has appanage is wrong. The King and Crown Princess have their own appanage (which, of course, King has the highest). As long as there is a detailed redocisning over how apanaget used can not even press officer Ternert say, for example, Madeleine have appanage. If I as a parent chooses to feed my children, so must it be my business! Should my children also choose to work with charities, I would be proud parent.

Although it might be the King's money provided by the taxpayer, fact is that unlike most other 2nd or 3rd lines to the throne, Madeleine (and CF) live off taxpayers money granted by the King with only contributing between little and zero what might be ok according to constitution but is only likely to create controversy and polemic in times of economic downturn for most citizens.

Even though the procedure is correct, it is correct to critizise it and is likely to be changed when the King is gone, I am sure Victoria will have even less priviliges as her father. Its a sign of the times, people want to know what happens to their money and what they get in return, kind of a "republican monarchy".

Duke of Marmalade said:
Although it might be the King's money provided by the taxpayer, fact is that unlike most other 2nd or 3rd lines to the throne, Madeleine (and CF) live off taxpayers money granted by the King with only contributing between little and zero what might be ok according to constitution but is only likely to create controversy and polemic in times of economic downturn for most citizens.

Even though the procedure is correct, it is correct to critizise it and is likely to be changed when the King is gone, I am sure Victoria will have even less priviliges as her father. Its a sign of the times, people want to know what happens to their money and what they get in return, kind of a "republican monarchy".

Well said.....

KitKat2006 said:
First: As I stated numerous times before, Madeleine doesn't need to work for the money her father already has worked for. It's just like you don't need to work for the money your father earns for the family (or has, because maybe now you're earning money yourself).
gee my father would beg to differ, all his money and he still likes me to make my own .....

Yes when your a minor and incapable of producing an income you don't have to work for you parents money but when you're a capable adult regardless of your parents money you should try and work (if even for a sense of pride or accomplishment) otherwise the perception can be one of laziness or mooching.....

But forget money how about a sense of duty to Sweden. She was born to a role that requires duty and she doesn't appear to be doing much, as the saying goes ''to whom much is given, much is expected''

MRSJ said:
Well said.....

gee my father would beg to differ, all his money and he still likes me to make my own .....

Yes when your a minor and incapable of producing an income you don't have to work for you parents money but when you're a capable adult regardless of your parents money you should try and work (if even for a sense of pride or accomplishment) otherwise the perception can be one of laziness or mooching.....

But forget money how about a sense of duty to Sweden. She was born to a role that requires duty and she doesn't appear to be doing much, as the saying goes ''to whom much is given, much is expected''

Completely agree with everything above.

Great posts MRSJ and Duke of Marmalade, completly agree with you both.

King Carl Gustav "owns" this issue at the moment

Now of course this is an issue for Sweden and the Swedes. I may have views on how certain things are done in other countries, monarchies and republics, but there is a point of honor not to comment on how other countries handle their rule. There are obviously a right for TRF members to speculate.

However; how the issue is developed in the future is a matter for the Swedes and the Swedish Parlament. At present, it is His Majesty the King who owns the issue and until it is otherwise, it feels that further reply is not very meaningful and I will not make any comparisons with other democracies rules and costs.

Last edited:
now with her sister pregnant and a new little one coming soon, i think this whole discussion about her work or lack of work will kinda go away,

the spotlight will now be on her sister and the new little prince or princess, i dont wanna say she will be forgotten or ignored but she will not be as relevant.

Agree!

now with her sister pregnant and a new little one coming soon, i think this whole discussion about her work or lack of work will kinda go away,

the spotlight will now be on her sister and the new little prince or princess, i dont wanna say she will be forgotten or ignored but she will not be as relevant.

Madeleine will be moved from third to fourth place in the succession when Crown Princess Victoria gives birth to her and Prince Daniel's first-born child. I agree that attention then even more will be to the Crown Princess and her family. :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom