Press Reports about Carl Philip and Sofia Hellqvist, Part 2: April 2012 - June 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have CGs sister ever really been in line of succession? I'm not sure of it. Could have one of them become Queen if they married right but CG married wrong? If not it doesn't matter when or whom they married.

No, the King's sisters were never in the line of succession as, between 1810 and 1980, succession to the Swedish throne was strictly agnatic, i.e female dynasts and their respective descendants had no succession rights. Carl Gustaf had two uncles though who gave up their place in the line of succession to marry "unequally". And Prince Bertil, Duke of Halland, who served as Carl Gustaf's "foster father" during most of his young life, didn't marry the Welsh commoner Lilian Craig until Carl Gustaf was already King and had already married himself.

Last edited:
No, the KIng's sisters were never in the line of succession as, between 1810 and 1980, succession to the Swedish throne was strictly agnatic, i.e female dynasts and their respective descendants had no succession rights. Carl Gustaf had two uncles though who gave up their place in the line of succession to mary "unequally". And Prince Bertil, Duke of Halland, who served as Carl Gustaf's "foster father" during most of his young life, didn't marry the Weslsh commoner Lilian Craig until Carl Gustaf was already King and had already married.

So basically, Prince Bertil did the unselfish thing until the succession was ensured, had Carl Gustaf decided to marry without consent (or to a lady who was not acceptable), Bertil would have been king, but then he would never have been able to marry Ms. Craig...

Or to return to where this started: every person is responsible for his own choices and own happiness, but being a royal adds some additional difficulties when you want to pursue it :flowers:

Under the law of succession, the King must ask for consent in a special Council of State (he's the only person who can do that), but consent itself is actually given by the Swedish government, not by the King. What if the current government doesn't think Sofia is a suitable bride ?
Well, I don't live in Sweden, so my view of things might not be accurate. But as far as I can see, the Swedish state is quite liberal and open minded. The government would not oppose to Sophia because of those pictures, since they are not illegal.

Unless something much more serious turns up, like being involved in illegal activities, they would not deny her consent. I assume that Sophia's past has been scrutinized pretty thoroughly during the past few years. So it would be unlikely that any serious misdeed will yet be uncovered.

Svensk Damtidning's Liv Sander met Sofia at the "Female Economist of the Year" last week, at the paper version of the magazine

Sofia comes to Svensk Damtidning and greets with a firm handshake. And although the scholarships are soon delivered, she takes time to answer a few questions.
About the christening:
- The Drottningholm Chapel is so unbeliavably beautiful! It was such a fine christening where everything went perfect. The sun was shining! An little Leonore was so cute when she slept. Everything was just so great. There was a very cozy and familiar ambiance.
Now it is summer, but the holiday plans aren't just ready yet for Sofia and Carl Philip. He has still some job events to do before the royal calendar is empty. Sofia continues with Project Playground.
- I'm working very much in the summer, but like everyone else I have some holiday. We don't know yet what we are going to do, we will see. I'm going to work much from Stockholm. It is great to be here at home in the summer. There is no place like home.

I would say a Royal Engagement is a long long way away. They are a couple, for now, but making it official is another matter entirely.

What? Is it a joke? :-(

Maybe she is pregnant... Any swedish speaker?

Last edited by a moderator:
This will happen today, while Queen Silvia is in NYC to attend the Childhood event?:sad:

This will happen today, while Queen Silvia is in NYC to attend the Childhood event?:sad:

Queen Silvia left home from Washington yesterday afternoon.

Live coverage in SVT. It starts soon.
Presskonferens: Kungahuset | SVT Play

Pregnancies are announced by a press release, no press conferences are held then. And the king has said that he will never abdicate.

Are they keeping the press conference outside, at the courtyard?

Looks like it. The courtyard seems like an odd place to hold it though.

Nothing has happened yet. The press (and us!) are just waiting. We can see some courtiers in the palace moving around but that's it.

But the engagments of Vic and Madde were announced via press release...

How long were those (Victoria and Madeleine) press releases made public before their press conferences? Have you seen Silvia?

If it's not an engagement, what's left? An abdication?

And yes, I agree it seems a bit "too grand"

That it's my thought too... I mean, with Victoria's egagement there wasn not all this fuss

And today is Chris O'Neill's 40th birthday. They could have chosen another day to their engagement...

That it's my thought too... I mean, with Victoria's egagement there wasn not all this fuss

And if Victoria's didn't have this fuss the Carl-Philip's shouldn't have it either, right? If it's an abdication, I must say I didn't see it coming.

Marty, which link are you watching? You see Silvia, then Sofia, I see nobody...
If Sofia is there, then it's almost certainly an engagement. Maybe the delay has to do with Silvia trying to convince Carl-Philip to give up "Please, my baby son, you're still on time"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom