The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 06:02 PM
Serene Highness

If the guestlist on Monday confirms Sofia's going to the christening, I wonder why nobody (Carl Gustaf, Silvia, Victoria, Daniel) put their foot down. Sofia attending would take the attention away from Estelle. From Sofia's point of view, it's imprudent. We can't see what's in people's hearts but it comes across as attention-seeking and self-promotion. Given her not so discreet conduct while dating Carl Philip, people aren't likely to give her the benefit of the doubt.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:23 PM

As far as I know, Sofia has been very discrete.
We know absolutely nothing about her invitation (or not) to the christening on may 22.( Expressen and Johan T Lindvall are more often wrong than right.)
Maybee it is Queen Silvia that think that it is about time that Sofia is inkluded in the family.
Just a thougt.

Alice I

Old 05-20-2012, 12:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarlucy View Post
Most likely if she is invited to the christening, it was though the influence of Carl Philip. I doubt very seriously that Sofia went to the King or Queen or went to Princess Victoria and asked them to include her. That would be a pretty bold move.
I was about to say thee exact same thing! I highly doubt she would go to the king or queen. She'll let Carl Philip do that. CP is becoming more and more like a puppet to me IMO. Men like him are easy to manipulate.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
I was about to say thee exact same thing! I highly doubt she would go to the king or queen. She'll let Carl Philip do that. CP is becoming more and more like a puppet to me IMO. Men like him are easy to manipulate.
According to the TV-documents of the royal family, the king has the final word in every decision including the royal family, whether it is about their work engagements or family events.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:33 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice I View Post
As far as I know, Sofia has been very discrete.
This is a remarkable observation, if I may say so.
The fact that the various venues she chose all her life in an attempt to become famous were executed in a less than discrete manner and only proved that ambition without talent leads to dreary results might be considered a thing of the past.
But not every royal girlfriend felt the need to let the world know via twitter that she had begun to 'date' a Prince; not every royal girlfriend has chosen to get herself a public platform to be present in the media, and not every royal girlfriend has spoken so much to the press about her own self, her deeply felt philantropic needs, and about her royal boyfriend, from his racing skills of which she feels so proud to the great opportunities he offers her to satisfy those philantropic needs already mentioned... etcetera.
Miss Hellqvist may be many things, but being discrete (or subtle...) is apparently not among them.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:23 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
According to the TV-documents of the royal family, the king has the final word in every decision including the royal family, whether it is about their work engagements or family events.
Well, if Carl Philip threaten to stay away from Estelle's christening unless Sofia was invited, there is no way the king would want something like that to happen, perhaps an invitation to Sofia was the lesser evil.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:24 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraude
Well, if Carl Philip threaten to stay away from Estelle's christening unless Sofia was invited, there is no way the king would want something like that to happen, perhaps an invitation to Sofia was the lesser evil.
Yes, especially if he's one of the godparents. I guess we'll have to wait for the guest list to be released tomorrow.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

One more photo of Carl Philip and Sofia in Karlskoga 12th May.
http://nwt.se/multimedia/dynamic/006...8393img699.jpg
Old 05-21-2012, 04:37 AM
Aristocracy

Bertil Ternert confirms Sofia Hellqvist (and also Chris O'Neill) will be present at Princess Estelle's christening tomorrow.

Hovet: Chris och Sofia kommer på dopet | Nyheter | Expressen | Senaste nytt - Nyheter Sport Ekonomi Nöje
Old 05-21-2012, 05:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektra View Post
Bertil Ternert confirms Sofia Hellqvist (and also Chris O'Neill) will be present at Princess Estelle's christening tomorrow.

Hovet: Chris och Sofia kommer på dopet | Nyheter | Expressen | Senaste nytt - Nyheter Sport Ekonomi Nöje
What a completely ill-advised decision.
Now the opportunity for the focus of the media and public interest to be where it should belong on the occasion of this christening, namely on the CP couple, Princess Estelle and the sense of continuity of the Swedish monarchy, is ruined.
I have no idea why this 'introduction', if seen as necessary, couldn't take place at a royal occasion which is not a state occasion, which has a lower profile and no international TV broadcast.
And additionally, yet another bad move by PR Chief Bertil Ternert, who couldn't wait to publish the guest list officially (as planned for later today anyway) but had to get on the phone with a Swedish gossip magazine and blab about it.
The Bernadottes are seriously misguided.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:18 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
And additionally, yet another bad move by PR Chief Bertil Ternert, who couldn't wait to publish the guest list officially (as planned for later today anyway) but had to get on the phone with a Swedish gossip magazine and blab about it.
The Bernadottes are seriously misguided.
Am I the only person in this thread who thinks Bertil Ternert is just causing damage to the royal family, instead of "promoting" it? From what I've seen, he has made quite a few decisions that could charitably be called ill-advised, except, he's the one who has to advise on those decisions.

I'm not sure how I feel about this new situation.
On one hand, I strongly doubt the focus will shift from Victoria, Daniel and Estelle to Chris and Sofia; the latter will get some press, granted, but the crown princely family is too popular (and Estelle - too cute) to be really edged off the front pages. On the other hand, I'm a bit of traditionalist when it comes to royals, so an unmarried partner at a state event is a bit weird (being a bit hypocritical here, because I never minded Carina's presence at any official or family events - but Carina's partner is not a senior royal). From where I stand, a double engagement announcement is pretty much imminent now.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:33 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia
Am I the only person in this thread who thinks Bertil Ternert is just causing damage to the royal family, instead of "promoting" it? From what I've seen, he has made quite a few decisions that could charitably be called ill-advised, except, he's the one who has to advise on those decisions.
Nope, I think everyone is thinking that
Old 05-21-2012, 11:07 AM
Aristocracy

I think Carlp Philip and Sofia will get engaged next month and marry in the autumn.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:23 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonShadow123 View Post
I think Carlp Philip and Sofia will get engaged next month and marry in the autumn.
I think their plausible engagement is bound to have controversial reactions to the royal family on the part of the public. Sofia's entering the family is a sweep change - as if they say their subjects: marry this kind of girl,who Sofia recently was. I think everyone must know where their place is . And it seems as though Sofia is a bit perplexed.
My opinion may be radical. Nevertheless, I think it's about time Carl Philip perceived Sofia is not a suitable wife and seek for a lady with principles, manners, good education and, most importantly, a good image in the society. A lady like sisters, Victoria and Madeleine.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:33 AM
Heir Presumptive

I'm glad. In most families, long time partners are welcome at family events. Sofia and Chris should be there as far as I'm concerned.

And I seriously doubt this will do anything to take attention away from the Crown Princess and her family.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Victoria and Daniel obviously have a big heart and they welcome Sofia and Chris at the christening, when the king has decided so. But I also think that this is a slap to Daniel's face, he had to wait for the engagement to attend in public and state events (the king's 60th birthday party was a private party, Daniel wasn't invited to the official party the next day). And now Sofia and Chris (who has dated Madeleine less than 1,5 years) can attend the baptism of the future queen, the daughter of the heiress. The baptism of the future queen isn't the right place to "introduce" the partners of Carl Philip and Madeleine to the royal world and media.
Ternert is saying how it is only natural that Sofia and Chris are invited because they share their lives with Carl Philip and Madeleine. Daniel shared his life with Victoria, but he was treated differently, as were Emma and Jonas.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:24 PM
Serene Highness

I agree it's very unfair to Daniel and the previous partners of Carl Philip and Madeleine. I think it's a bad decision on the part of the King.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:28 PM
Heir Apparent

I see it as recognition that times have changed and the court needs to change as well. In a different time he would not have been allowed to marry Silvia. He allowed Bertil to marry Lilian while in a different time Bertils brothers had to give up their rank to marry the women they want. Was that a slap in the face to his brothers?Times and attitudes change and monarchies have to keep up or perish.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

I wouldn't read too much into it. I guess Carl Philip and Madeleine are old enough to be allowed to bring a "date". At my brothers christening my boyfriend was invited although my parents and family didn't care much for him. They wanted to make me happy and not cause problems. So hopefully that's what the SRF is doing. I do agree with Boris, this is a bad call because they're in the public eye !
Old 05-21-2012, 12:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
At my brothers christening my boyfriend was invited although my parents and family didn't care much for him.
But is your father the King of California, and your little brother the Crown Prince whose christening was a state occasion...?

Tags
prince carl philip