Press Reports about Carl Philip and Sofia Hellqvist, Part 2: April 2012 - June 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What kind of bad impulses does she have that would count against her, If, she became engaged and married Prince Carl Philip?

Sure in the past she posed for pictures that wasn't to everyone's liking and she participated on a reality show but does that really make her a bad person? Does that mean she's not deserving of love, friendship, companionship with Carl Philip?

I'm not sure the palace would have to work overtime on Sofia's image but I think it would help for them to allow people to get to know the person who Carl Philip fell in love with and the family has embraced. From what I see, the family and palace officials don't seem to be all worked up about Sofia's past. If so, I don't think we would've seen Sofia so close to the family. I don't think she would've been seen sitting with the family at Princess Lilian's funeral, Estelle's Christening, Madeleine's wedding and even other family weddings. The palace and family even allowed Sofia to pose with the family at Madeleine & Chris's banns of marriage and she's in the official group wedding photo.

Is Sofia Hellqvist a bad person and not suitable for marriage to Carl Philip as some on here claims? I'm not really getting that vibe from Carl Philip and the royal family.

What does Camilla's aristocratic background have to do with anything?

I do not think it makes her a bad person, but rather makes her ability to discern the consequences of her actions come into question. Would I have made the same choices she has made? No. But then again, I am not her.

If she can't control her impulses, is it a good idea to expose her to the power that being a princess of Sweden brings? Camilla as far as I know had her issues (issues I'm tired of hearing about) and so does Mette (past history); this being today, Sofia's behavior has had red flag after red flag come up and I wonder what else will come out once she is a princess and is considered public property.

Camilla is a royal duchess and is content with a morganatic title and I think Sofia should be given one, given all the work the courtiers are going to have to do to clean up her image and make her respectable enough.

Actually, at this point in the game, Camilla is not in a morganatic marriage. Morganatic marriages do not exist in Britain. She is both the Princess of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall because her husband is both Prince of Wales and Duke of Cornwall. She choses to use the lesser of the two titles not because her marriage is morganatic, but out of respect to the memory of her husband's deceased first wife, in respect to his children, and in respect to the many people who loved Diana.

While Sweden may have practiced morganatic marriages in the past it seems like they've moved on from it. Two of the king's three children have entered into marriages with commoners, CP will be the third to do so. As neither Victoria nor Madelaine were required to give up their status or positions and enter into a morganatic marriage, for CP to be expected to if he married Sofia would be the SRF essentially saying "despite the fact that we obviously don't have perfect pasts, we can't consider you to be good enough to be a part of this family on the basis that you partook in activities that - while perfectly legal and really not harming anyone - are considered to be morally reprehensible by foreign citizens."

If she can't control her impulses, is it a good idea to expose her to the power that being a princess of Sweden brings? Camilla as far as I know had her issues (issues I'm tired of hearing about) and so does Mette (past history); this being today, Sofia's behavior has had red flag after red flag come up and I wonder what else will come out once she is a princess and is considered public property.

Camilla is a royal duchess and is content with a morganatic title and I think Sofia should be given one, given all the work the courtiers are going to have to do to clean up her image and make her respectable enough.

Camilla does not have a morganatic title. She is acknowledged as legally, the Princess of Wales, and chooses to use one of her husband's other titles.

Morganatic marriage does not exist in the UK.

I do not think it makes her a bad person, but rather makes her ability to discern the consequences of her actions come into question. Would I have made the same choices she has made? No. But then again, I am not her.

That is what happens, some people make choices that some of us don't agree with. That's just reality but I just see the happiness on Carl Philip's face when he's with Sofia and the family seems to enjoy her company and invite her to some of the family's events. I think it goes to show that there's something more to Sofia that they have gotten to know than the rest of us looking in from the outside.

Not to bring Camilla up too much here but her past was no bowl of cherries and yes it took some major PR work to sell her to the people but from what I see, Charles seems to love her and the rest of the royal family have taken to her so I guess they saw something more in her than her past activities.

Also, you know... I hear all the time here, insinuations that Sofia would be a bad role model for young girls. And I've been thinking on that for awhile and trying to put my thoughts on that into words, and I read something today that made those thoughts a bit clearer.

All over the U.S., there have been stories of young women committing suicide because a picture of them nude was released without their consent and they were bullied over it. They were called horrible names, and made to feel like that's all they'd ever be and they'd never be valued again... that their reputation was shattered and life was no longer worth living.

To me... for those girls... someone like Sofia could be exactly the role model they need. Someone who does get called names in the media, who is constantly mocked for her choices, and who people call rude names and make fun of... and yet she holds her head high, does things with her life, and doesn't let that define her. And if she ends up a royal princess, in total defiance of those expectations- that sends a powerful message that young women can screw up, and make mistakes and still be loved, and valued, and contribute.

All the girls out there that maintain a perfect life... they already have princess role models. Women like Kate and Stephanie, who have lived fairly blameless and discreet lives.

I kind of love the idea of a princess role model for the other girls. The girls who are damaged and hurting and exploited and shamed. And I'd love to see Sofia pull it off, personally.

Article that triggered these thoughts: Sexting, Shame and Suicide | Culture News | Rolling Stone

Reactions: Ish
Also, you know... I hear all the time here, insinuations that Sofia would be a bad role model for young girls. And I've been thinking on that for awhile and trying to put my thoughts on that into words, and I read something today that made those thoughts a bit clearer.

All over the U.S., there have been stories of young women committing suicide because a picture of them nude was released without their consent and they were bullied over it. They were called horrible names, and made to feel like that's all they'd ever be and they'd never be valued again... that their reputation was shattered and life was no longer worth living.

To me... for those girls... someone like Sofia could be exactly the role model they need. Someone who does get called names in the media, who is constantly mocked for her choices, and who people call rude names and make fun of... and yet she holds her head high, does things with her life, and doesn't let that define her. And if she ends up a royal princess, in total defiance of those expectations- that sends a powerful message that young women can screw up, and make mistakes and still be loved, and valued, and contribute.

All the girls out there that maintain a perfect life... they already have princess role models. Women like Kate and Stephanie, who have lived fairly blameless and discreet lives.

I kind of love the idea of a princess role model for the other girls. The girls who are damaged and hurting and exploited and shamed. And I'd love to see Sofia pull it off, personally.

Article that triggered these thoughts: Sexting, Shame and Suicide | Culture News | Rolling Stone

A very thoughtful and insightful comment, HRHHermione.

I still don't think SH is the best choice for CP and Sweden, but I do think this is one of the most honest and sensitive posts I've read on TRF. You make some good points.

I still don't think SH is the best choice for CP and Sweden, but I do think this is one of the most honest and sensitive posts I've read on TRF. You make some good points.

Thank you, I really appreciate that.

I agree with you to an extent. While I to have read the articles on young girls committing suicide over silly choices not always within their control, Sofia is a little different. Sofia chose to take this path, she made CAREER choices where nudity and sexual innuendo factual or perceived, were part of the job. Most of these girls did not willingly make these choices and therefore felt shame and a loss of their control. Sofia has always been in control of her choices.

As a mum of two daughters both teenagers, the only positive I would take and share with my girls about Sofia, is that each person deserves a second chance to prove they have grown and can make better life decisions.

If I had to choose a princess as a role model for my girls it would be Mary. Here is a woman who lived her life, worked, was independent, educated, travelled and had a good circle of friends with no skeletons in the closet. All these things are now evident in the way she conducts herself. But you are right, Sofia should be given a little slack to prove herself and to be allowed to 'grow up' from these not always wise decisions of the past.

I agree with you to an extent. While I to have read the articles on young girls committing suicide over silly choices not always within their control, Sofia is a little different. Sofia chose to take this path, she made CAREER choices where nudity and sexual innuendo factual or perceived, were part of the job. Most of these girls did not willingly make these choices and therefore felt shame and a loss of their control. Sofia has always been in control of her choices.

As a mum of two daughters both teenagers, the only positive I would take and share with my girls about Sofia, is that each person deserves a second chance to prove they have grown and can make better life decisions.

If I had to choose a princess as a role model for my girls it would be Mary. Here is a woman who lived her life, worked, was independent, educated, travelled and had a good circle of friends with no skeletons in the closet. All these things are now evident in the way she conducts herself. But you are right, Sofia should be given a little slack to prove herself and to be allowed to 'grow up' from these not always wise decisions of the past.

But a big part of the reason these girls feel so much shame is because there are so many messages telling them it's something they should be ashamed of- that it's a lapse in judgement they'll never live down.

Yes, Sofia chose this and was in control, but she still got called all the same things- prostitute, dirty, whore, slut. (Apologies if some of those words are not appropriate here, but I use them in context to make a point.) And if she refuses to let her life and character be defined by those words- what it says is that you can escape that. Who you are is up to you, and other people's ugly words do not define your life or your character.

I fully agree with you that Mary is a lovely role model, but if god forbid, one of your girls is ever hurt and bullied in this manner, I'm sure the first thing you'd say is that your love for them is unconditional and unshakeable, and their love for themselves should be the same way. And in that scenario- it might be helpful to be able to point out that other women have been bullied and shamed and still manage to love themselves and live exactly the life they want to live.

One thing that I will say is that SH is only being called bad names online. The Swedish media(Aftonblat) is going full court press pro-Sofia. They have built her up as the best thing to happen to the SRF in years. Her worst photos have not been seen and probably will not be seen for years. They have kind of taken on the role that HELLO magazine did for Kate before Kate married William...her biggest cheerleader.

Aftonblat said it's a good thing she posed nude and did reality TV "otherwise she would not have met her prince." Their exact words, I kid you not.:ohmy:

And THAT is a very, very bad message to give young girls and women, imo.

But a big part of the reason these girls feel so much shame is because there are so many messages telling them it's something they should be ashamed of- that it's a lapse in judgement they'll never live down.

Yes, Sofia chose this and was in control, but she still got called all the same things- prostitute, dirty, whore, slut. (Apologies if some of those words are not appropriate here, but I use them in context to make a point.) And if she refuses to let her life and character be defined by those words- what it says is that you can escape that. Who you are is up to you, and other people's ugly words do not define your life or your character.

I fully agree with you that Mary is a lovely role model, but if god forbid, one of your girls is ever hurt and bullied in this manner, I'm sure the first thing you'd say is that your love for them is unconditional and unshakeable, and their love for themselves should be the same way. And in that scenario- it might be helpful to be able to point out that other women have been bullied and shamed and still manage to love themselves and live exactly the life they want to live.

Yes you are right, but the point I am trying to make is that Sofia has actively sought the limelight doing the very things she is now trying to distance herself from.

The girls and boys who are committing suicide haven't actively sought this attention! In most cases their innocent actions have become fodder for bullies. This is a different situation altogether.

This is about choices a person willingly, knowingly, actively makes. AND a single lapse in judgement, taken by others to demean and humiliate, intentionally bully and continue to violate someone who is already feeling shamed, someone who didn't choose this.

One thing that I will say is that SH is only being called bad names online. The Swedish media(Aftonblat) is going full court press pro-Sofia. They have built her up as the best thing to happen to the SRF in years. Her worst photos have not been seen and probably will not be seen for years. They have kind of taken on the role that HELLO magazine did for Kate before Kate married William...her biggest cheerleader.

Aftonblat said it's a good thing she posed nude and did reality TV "otherwise she would not have met her prince." Their exact words, I kid you not.:ohmy:

And THAT is a very, very bad message to give young girls and women, imo.

Aftonbladet (and Expressen) is doing this of course because they want to have a good relationship with the royal court. Since the court complained already a couple of years ago that some media posting the old photos is acting badly, Aftonbladet wants to stay out of it.
I agree, it is a very bad message to give young girls and women, especially when participating at reality shows like Paradise Hotel has become more and more common.

LadyFinn, thank you for giving me the proper spelling of the paper(Aftonbladet)

The teenagers who have committed suicide because they were forced to do things they did not want to do where blackmailed and bullied - I am very sad for every young girl and boy who has died because of being bullied and terrorised in such a shameful way, but I do not think it has very much to do with SH. These boys and girls were forced into exposing their body and doing things that are not in line with their moral values and the way they have been brought up and taught by their parents.
If a woman decides to do nude pictures or participate in certain films as a job (or just for fun) it is her free choice. If it is ok with her own values and self-image, it is alright, everyone knows what is best for them and what they want in life. I just don´t like it when such women (Kim Kardashian, Paris Hilton etc.) are presented as role models that we (girls and women in general) should aspire to follow. It is quite annoying that they are constantly in the media, instead of acchieved,intellectual women who have done something valuable and meaningful with their life- like doctors,scientists,writers,politicians,journalists,lawyers,human rights activists etc.

When young girls constantly see that women are most succesful when they expose their body,date a rich guy and look pretty, I am afraid it is teaching them values that are not going to serve our society very well.
(Not that posing for pictures,looking pretty or dating is a bad thing - but this should not be a "career choice"!)

I wish to see more role models like CP Mary,Q Maxima or even women like CP Mette-Marit and CP Letizia. They are behaving decently,discreet and they have proven to have a very caring,compassionate nature-they did not actively seek out the limelight, but they have adjusted to their new public role with dignity.
Both CP Mary,Q Maxima and CP Letizia were highly educated and succesful in their job,they have travelled the world and they are representing their countries in a positive way. Even CP Mette-Marit was working and supporting herself-I do not look down on her because she was working as a waitress,but I rather see her as a young single-mom who has succesfuly managed to raise a young boy and teached him to be a good person.
She is a great role model for those young girls who believe that their past mistakes will define their life forever-because she has managed to live up to the challenges and consequences of her actions and changed her lifestyle to become a responsible,active,positive member of society.

There is a highly interesting study that has researched the effects of so-called "reality" TV-shows on young girls, I believe it is very important to look at these studies and take them seriously.

Here is a link to the study (PDF version):
Research | Publications | Real to Me

Ashley Bush and Raphaela Sapire: What Has Reality TV Done to Young Women?
This article picked up a few points from the Girl Scout-study. Short excerpts from this article:
Among girls who watch reality TV, 72% say they spend a lot of time on their appearance, versus 42% of non-viewers.

Many girls -- 86% -- believe these shows "often pit girls against each other to make the shows more exciting" and 70% say they "make people think it is ok to treat each other badly."

Last edited:
In regards to her judgement, this isn't a lapse (in regards to kissing a porn star), this is a lifestyle. Most young women who accidentally expose themselves (or pose for a boyfriend) aren't out doing reality shows or posing for men's magazines. They are going about honest, straightforward lives and they aren't hanging around porn stars as a choice.

I mean, she made out with a porn star and her lifestyle up to then has been something that was leading her to a possible similar career. I wonder where she would be right now if she weren't dating a prince and possibly about to get a ring.

Sofia is sweet to them because she has to keep them sweet to keep them on her side. I would be wary of someone who is still uninterested in a formal job. She's not living on her own and making her own way. She's living with CP in a large mansion and funded by the taxpayers. Obviously she isn't going to rock that boat by being openly demanding or controlling or at all unpleasant.

She isn't stupid, but I don't think she is sweet as she projects herself to be to the RF and the public (when she is out in public). If she were so sweet and pleasant, why would she push to become a bridesmaid at the wedding of Madeleine, CP pushing to the point where Madeleine decided against bridesmaids and decided in a children's choir? She apparently has no problem injecting herself into events where she has no sensible reason for being there.

Camilla was gentry her whole life.

Ok, so some would day gentry. But it certainly wasn't Sofia.

Actually, at this point in the game, Camilla is not in a morganatic marriage. Morganatic marriages do not exist in Britain. She is both the Princess of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall because her husband is both Prince of Wales and Duke of Cornwall. She choses to use the lesser of the two titles not because her marriage is morganatic, but out of respect to the memory of her husband's deceased first wife, in respect to his children, and in respect to the many people who loved Diana.

While Sweden may have practiced morganatic marriages in the past it seems like they've moved on from it. Two of the king's three children have entered into marriages with commoners, CP will be the third to do so. As neither Victoria nor Madelaine were required to give up their status or positions and enter into a morganatic marriage, for CP to be expected to if he married Sofia would be the SRF essentially saying "despite the fact that we obviously don't have perfect pasts, we can't consider you to be good enough to be a part of this family on the basis that you partook in activities that - while perfectly legal and really not harming anyone - are considered to be morally reprehensible by foreign citizens."

Well said. I highly doubt they would make Him give up anything or try to make the marriage morgantic. However, I just can't see anyone foreign or native leaping for joy over her.

Last edited by a moderator:
The teenagers who have committed suicide because they were forced to do things they did not want to do where blackmailed and bullied - I am very sad for every young girl and boy who has died because of being bullied and terrorised in such a shameful way, but I do not think it has very much to do with SH. These boys and girls were forced into exposing their body and doing things that are not in line with their moral values and the way they have been brought up and taught by their parents.
If a woman decides to do nude pictures or participate in certain films as a job (or just for fun) it is her free choice. If it is ok with her own values and self-image, it is alright, everyone knows what is best for them and what they want in life. I just don´t like it when such women (Kim Kardashian, Paris Hilton etc.) are presented as role models that we (girls and women in general) should aspire to follow. It is quite annoying that they are constantly in the media, instead of acchieved,intellectual women who have done something valuable and meaningful with their life- like doctors,scientists,writers,politicians,journalists,lawyers,human rights activists etc.

When young girls constantly see that women are most succesful when they expose their body,date a rich guy and look pretty, I am afraid it is teaching them values that are not going to serve our society very well.
(Not that posing for pictures,looking pretty or dating is a bad thing - but this should not be a "career choice"!)

I wish to see more role models like CP Mary,Q Maxima or even women like CP Mette-Marit and CP Letizia. They are behaving decently,discreet and they have proven to have a very caring,compassionate nature-they did not actively seek out the limelight, but they have adjusted to their new public role with dignity.
Both CP Mary,Q Maxima and CP Letizia were highly educated and succesful in their job,they have travelled the world and they are representing their countries in a positive way. Even CP Mette-Marit was working and supporting herself-I do not look down on her because she was working as a waitress,but I rather see her as a young single-mom who has succesfuly managed to raise a young boy and teached him to be a good person.
She is a great role model for those young girls who believe that their past mistakes will define their life forever-because she has managed to live up to the challenges and consequences of her actions and changed her lifestyle to become a responsible,active,positive member of society.

There is a highly interesting study that has researched the effects of so-called "reality" TV-shows on young girls, I believe it is very important to look at these studies and take them seriously.

Here is a link to the study (PDF version):
Research | Publications | Real to Me

Ashley Bush and Raphaela Sapire: What Has Reality TV Done to Young Women?
This article picked up a few points from the Girl Scout-study. Short excerpts from this article:
Among girls who watch reality TV, 72% say they spend a lot of time on their appearance, versus 42% of non-viewers.

Many girls -- 86% -- believe these shows "often pit girls against each other to make the shows more exciting" and 70% say they "make people think it is ok to treat each other badly."

I want to thank you - I was struggling to put into words my opinion on the matter, her participation in a reality show and such, and the comments of her being a role model. You did it far better than I would have done it. I have no problem with anything Sofia does FOR HERSELF, but to suggest (and I could be wrong) that she is a role model is too much for me. She has actively pursued fame in this manner - she is an adult. I fail to see how she can be a "model" for young women. Model for what??? She chose to pose in suggestive pictorials, she chose to make out with a porn star, that is her business. But I really don't believe she role modelling anything to young women except how to participate in a seedy reality show and pose in pics that objectify women. That is what I see her doing, not being a role model. I could care less if she marries Carl, good for them both, I would wish them well. But she is no role model for God's sake.

Is there an English translation of the article available?

I wonder how this 'role model' argument in Sofia's favor is just reflexive political correctness.

There's no way she could have received this news gleefully. She isn't going to try to stay with this establishment when they obviously don't want her around.

I wonder how this 'role model' argument in Sofia's favor is just reflexive political correctness.

Actually, I was speaking from personal experience. When I was a teenager, a boy I dated spread some really distasteful rumors about me and I spent months being bullied for it- called all sorts of awful names, and worse- I truly believed that it meant no one would ever care about me again because I was damaged goods. (In my case, the stories weren't even true, but I still had to endure being called a slut, a whore, trashy, worthless etc- which is a lot for a smart, sensitive teenager to take)

There are a lot of girls who grow up hearing that if they do anything perceived as slutty or wrong, they're ruined, and they brought that on themselves, and they'll always be seen as worthless and unworthy of love. It's unique to women too- men are rarely entirely defined by their sexuality in the same way.

I maintain that it would do a lot of good to have more women who manage to publicly shrug off those words and that reputation and go on to do and be whatever and whoever they want, and I think watching Sofia go from nude model to princess might get across the idea that a woman's worth isn't determined by how she chooses to present herself sexually, or by how she's viewed by others.

It's fine to disagree but these are deeply held personal convictions based on life experience, not on "political correctness".

Is there an English translation of the article available?

Or just a link to the article itself. Google translate can translate it well enough for us to understand the gist of it.

Actually, I was speaking from personal experience. When I was a teenager, a boy I dated spread some really distasteful rumors about me and I spent months being bullied for it- called all sorts of awful names, and worse- I truly believed that it meant no one would ever care about me again because I was damaged goods. (In my case, the stories weren't even true, but I still had to endure being called a slut, a whore, trashy, worthless etc- which is a lot for a smart, sensitive teenager to take)

There are a lot of girls who grow up hearing that if they do anything perceived as slutty or wrong, they're ruined, and they brought that on themselves, and they'll always be seen as worthless and unworthy of love. It's unique to women too- men are rarely entirely defined by their sexuality in the same way.

I maintain that it would do a lot of good to have more women who manage to publicly shrug off those words and that reputation and go on to do and be whatever and whoever they want, and I think watching Sofia go from nude model to princess might get across the idea that a woman's worth isn't determined by how she chooses to present herself sexually, or by how she's viewed by others.

It's fine to disagree but these are deeply held personal convictions based on life experience, not on "political correctness".

Thank you for sharing your life experience. When people share those types of things it makes more sense. I'll never support Sofia. However I don't want to be a bully either. Who knows what her true story really is.

Something that I wonder about with Sofia, she actually actively pursued a career in the public eye doing whatever she could to be noticed. I wonder what's changed?

Something that I wonder about with Sofia, she actually actively pursued a career in the public eye doing whatever she could to be noticed. I wonder what's changed? Is she in it for fame or love? I guess that is something we will never know..........

Well, if they marry and spend 20 years together discreetly supporting the family, we'll know it was a genuine shift in priorities.

If they last a year and then she writes a tell all and gets her own reality show, we'll know it wasn't.

Time reveals all :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom