The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-19-2007, 04:09 PM
Royal Highness

I'm having mixed feelings about this discussion of Frederik's abilities to speak in public; the other day I watched one of these 'the year in the royal family' programmes which the TV stations make each December. They showed again the clip where he told about his newborn daughter in front of a lot of media at Rigshospitalet. They pushed for a date of presentation of the newborn and he just winked at them and said 'fetch your sleeping bags'. He can be eloquent, charming and witty when he deals with the media; he definitely has his bad days as well and of course he has to work to eliminate those as far as he can. But I don't think he is only a bad public speaker.

Old 12-19-2007, 06:06 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lichtenstein View Post
Frankly if he does not like to do what is expected from him then he'll have to quit. Both country and family will survive the loss.
I don't think anyone is able to say that he doesn't like what he does because no one really knows what his feelings are about his role except his family and close friends. As for suggesting that he quit, some days perhaps he would love to but I don't think that is an option. The public and media would do as well to appreciate the fact that it takes all sorts to make the world go round, he is who he is and that's ok. JMO

Old 12-20-2007, 12:49 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisscross1 View Post
Yes but, if he had the choice would he be a crown prince. The job was thrust upon him because of who his mother is not necessarily a job he would have chosen for himself. We as 'normal' people get to choose the career paths we take in life, maybe he would prefer to be a postman or a doctor or ? who knows what. JMO
He has had 40 years to deal with the position he's born into. Jeez, it's about time for him and his defenders to quit this excuse for his lack of productivity. There's far worse fate than being born a crown prince. He's paid generously and enjoys all the previlleges of his position while working only one or two days a week. There are millions of people would switch place with him.

As for likability, it's not enough to be liked by Danes. It's a monarch's job to represent his country. He will need to be liked or at least respected by non-Danes. So far, judging from his light-weight overseas trips and very few participation at international events, he appears to have very little stature outside of Denmark. This will hurt his position in the long run.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:12 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpriestess View Post
....As for likability, it's not enough to be liked by Danes. It's a monarch's job to represent his country. He will need to be liked or at least respected by non-Danes. So far, judging from his light-weight overseas trips and very few participation at international events, he appears to have very little stature outside of Denmark. This will hurt his position in the long run.
I agree that it is a monarch's job to represent his/her country, but why is it necessary for he/she to be liked by people from countries that are not their own? They won't be decided whether to keep or abolish the Danish monarchy, so why does a monarch need to be respected by non-Danes?

As for his stature outside of Denmark, IMO many of the European royals don't have a lot a stature outside of their home countries - the exemptions being the Spanish royals, the British royals and the Monaquese royals.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:23 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessRulz View Post
I agree that it is a monarch's job to represent his/her country, but why is it necessary for he/she to be liked by people from countries that are not their own? They won't be decided whether to keep or abolish the Danish monarchy, so why does a monarch need to be respected by non-Danes?

As for his stature outside of Denmark, IMO many of the European royals don't have a lot a stature outside of their home countries - the exemptions being the Spanish royals, the British royals and the Monaquese royals.
Agreed. I love to follow the royal families and try to keep up on the latest news when I can, but most of friends here would never even know who Prince Frederick, Princess Mary, Prince Philippe, Princess Letizia, etc. etc even are and moreover could never name what countries they are from.

Generally people know Prince Charles, William, Harry, Diana, Camilla, and the British Royals, but for the others its mostly a National thing and outside their own countries there is not much stature. In fact without the entourages, and if they put on jeans and a t-shirt, Frederick and Mary could go unnoticed in many places.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:15 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
As for likability, it's not enough to be liked by Danes. It's a monarch's job to represent his country. He will need to be liked or at least respected by non-Danes. So far, judging from his light-weight overseas trips and very few participation at international events, he appears to have very little stature outside of Denmark. This will hurt his position in the long run.
I beg to differ.The only people who Frederik should be worried about pleasing are the ones who maintain his position as Crown Prince, Danes. The fact of the matter is that Denmark does not play significant role on the international scene. It is a small country with little over 5 million people. Moreover Frederik's role in international events like many royals is largely ceremonial. He isn't a diplomat nor is he a politician who has the ability to enact legislature that would affect Danes let alone people from other countries.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I beg to differ.The only people who Frederik should be worried about pleasing are the ones who maintain his position as Crown Prince, Danes.

Why? Then what is the point of Frederik coming to NYC, twice already, promoting/backing the Danish design and products? Frederik does have a position in the world, in which his actions are of importance. If he were not viable for Denmark to the rest of the world he wouldn't make the effort. Frederik's position in the world is not as insular, rather isolated, to Denmark as you think.

What is the point if he flys to another country, desperately seeking a position on the IOC, or visits the EU headquarters? If he's nonchalant (or dare I say "doesn't care") about his position or that of Denmark's on the world scene then why are the Danes paying for his lifestyle (because he looks cute in a suit? Come on...), or to be frank about it, his status/title/position in life? At this point, if he doesn't care, there really is no need for a monarchy after Margrethe.

Echoing Marengo's sentiments:

Quote:
No that is not all that counts IMO. Though it comes in handy if people ´like´ their monarch/royal it is not a job requirement. It doesn´t say anything on how a royal does his/her job, just that he/she is likable. But as reigning royalty do not participate in some sort of popularity programme but actually are expected to contribute something to society and represent their country both at home as abroad I think there are much more things than just somebody´s likability that count.

And besides that, with arguments like that (the Danish taxpayer likes him so why would anybody else discuss it) a discussion will be largely impossible here, which is not something we (the moderators) would like.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:49 PM
Aristocracy

I've always liked Prince Fredrick,there's something about him,I can just tell he's got a very kind heart.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:05 PM
Aristocracy

dear benedikte and muhler, since from what i see you are both located in danemark, your disagreement on frederik's danish in quite interesting.
i know we are O.T., but i'd love to hear more on this.

i can't understand a single word in danish, so i judge from the images only and from the expressions and the body language. and IMO, frederik looks like a very open, warm, nice, sensitive and/but shy person. now of course he has got used to speaking in public, to being photographed etcetera, but from some gestures i think he is not completely, or better deeply, confortable with that - e.g. the constant habit of putting at least one hand into his pocket. i think that he has grown into accepting this shyness of his and has understood that he can be liked all the same (and if i am not mistaken he is quite popular in danemark), and i got the impression that this acceptance has made him more sure - see e.g. the speech at his mother's 70th birthday, where i think he did not stumled, but delivered quite well without appearing overanxious.
i also think that, were he an arrogant or cold guy, his uncertainty would be much more stressed and criticised, while, being the nice fellow he is, this "defect" is not heavily and badly commented upon.
but of course, i wait to see what you danish think about it.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:37 PM
Gentry

Quote:
He has had 40 years to deal with the position he's born into. Jeez, it's about time for him and his defenders to quit this excuse for his lack of productivity. There's far worse fate than being born a crown prince. He's paid generously and enjoys all the previlleges of his position while working only one or two days a week. There are millions of people would switch place with him.

Excuse the bluntness as I am not as articulate as some of the people on here but you don't get to tell his 'defenders' when to quit anything and I, being one of those defenders, will not quit based on someone else's opinions about the CP.
And I'm sorry, but you don't see what he does 24/7, so a few minutes of news report every day and stories (often exaggerated) in tabloids doesn't equate to a sweeping generalisation that all he does is 'light-weight' overseas trips for the rest of the 168 hours of the week.

Frederik does need to make a good impression in the world and not only in Denmark. He is representing his country wherever he goes so he really has no other choice other than to abdicate the monarchy if he doesn't want to become King. And seeing him with other Royals and Diplomats around the world, there is nothing that gives me the impression he isn't respected so he is doing just fine in that area.

The impression I get with Frederik is exactly the same as royalone3. There's something warm about him. While he may not be the most gifted of public speakers, what he has that I don't see with most is his ability to make everyone (even the media) around him feel relaxed and comfortable, even though he may not be. His playfulness and his demeanor is what makes Frederik the man he is. There is nothing wrong with the way he represents his country. Not since Mary has been by his side anyway.

IMO, Frederik reminds me so much of his mother. I have noticed even now, QMII seems to be a little awkward when talking in a formal setting, sometimes stumbling over words or lines of a speech but she soldiers on and she still gets her message across loud and clear. Look how beloved she is by the Danes. You don't have to be a great speaker to be a great Queen.

What is privilege to you may not be a privilege to someone like Frederik.
We as 'commoners' see that lifestyle as a priviledge because we have lived our whole lives as 'commoners'. When we see something like the banquets they throw, the glamor, tiara's, clothes we instantly wish that for ourselves. We as a human race associate all these things (money) to having a 'great' life but we don't see the weight of expectations on these Royals minds, the need to be on guard and mindful of people they can trust, the pressure to keep an image and make a monarch relevant in today's society. There are so many more problems attached to a Royal than a commoner.

Frederik has never known what it is like to be a 'commoner' or an 'average joe' like the rest of us. He has been born and raised in the public life and would probably see something like becoming an 'average joe' more of a privilege than becoming a King and leaving your fate and life in the control of strangers you don't personally know. Because of it, his outlook on life and his decisions will differ greatly from you or I. So don't expect him to think the way we would and make the same decisions we would if we were in the same situation.

You are correct in saying there a millions of people who would switch places with him, only a few will ever be qualified enough though to represent Denmark like Frederik and only one will ever be King.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:45 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:

Well CP Frederik has proven his worth.

He has both an academic degree as well as the hardest military education.

In 1989, the crown prince began to study for an academic degree, when he began a course in Political Science at University of Aarhus. This included a year at Harvard University (1992–1993) under the name of Frederik Henriksen, studying political science. He then took up a position for three months with the Danish UN mission in New York in 1994. In 1995 Crown Prince Frederik obtained his MA degree in Political Science from University of Aarhus. He completed the course in the prescribed number of years with an exam result above average. His final paper was an analysis on the foreign policy of the Baltic States.

He has completed extensive military studies and training in all three services, notably completing education as a sailor in the naval elite special operations forces (members of this are known as frogmen or frømænd in Danish).

Frederik, Crown Prince of Denmark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 01-16-2011, 03:08 PM
Nobility

Benedikte, I dont thing the academic degree and his military education has something to do with some ability or suitability. It's like knowledge and intelligence.
I just dont know if Frederick is suitable, but I just notice that he is not on the international stage as is Prince Felipe of spain, Haakon or Willem-Alexander. Haakon and Willem (who did the same course of studies) go every year to Davos (Economic Forum). Why Frederick is never invited to assit and discuss and be part of the forum? why the danish governement did not ask him to be part and intervene during the Green conference (sorry I miss the name) which take place in copenhaguen (Prince Charles was invited with Al Gore to deliver a speech, why not the own crown prince of the country) It just make me think they dont believe he can be able to do it? It is just questions from me (not negativity) but if a danish friend wants to answer. Thank you in advance. I'm french so forgive my very bad english....
Old 01-16-2011, 03:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliz View Post
dear benedikte and muhler, since from what i see you are both located in danemark, your disagreement on frederik's danish in quite interesting.
i know we are O.T., but i'd love to hear more on this.

i can't understand a single word in danish, so i judge from the images only and from the expressions and the body language. and IMO, frederik looks like a very open, warm, nice, sensitive and/but shy person. now of course he has got used to speaking in public, to being photographed etcetera, but from some gestures i think he is not completely, or better deeply, confortable with that - e.g. the constant habit of putting at least one hand into his pocket. i think that he has grown into accepting this shyness of his and has understood that he can be liked all the same (and if i am not mistaken he is quite popular in danemark), and i got the impression that this acceptance has made him more sure - see e.g. the speech at his mother's 70th birthday, where i think he did not stumled, but delivered quite well without appearing overanxious.
i also think that, were he an arrogant or cold guy, his uncertainty would be much more stressed and criticised, while, being the nice fellow he is, this "defect" is not heavily and badly commented upon.
but of course, i wait to see what you danish think about it.
Well, let me try to answer that.
When I say that I find Frederik is a poor verbal communicator it's a statement, an opinion not an attack.

I can't sing. I can improve by practise but I'll remain a poor singer because I haven't got the talent.
The same thing with Frederik when it comes to addressing a crowd, a press conference or giving a more or less improvised speech.
His mumbles, don't finish sentences, use an odd chioce of words and express himself in a way where it is not clear exactly what he mean. In short: his speech is black.
He has problems translating his thought pattern into a coherent language, everyone can understand. That's an art. (Which everyone who has been given the task of writing manuals can testify to).
He knows that, so conciously or not he gets nervous in such situations and that just makes it worse.

Others, like Mary and Joachim are natural talents when it comes to addressing an audience or dealing with the press. Reinforced by the triumphs they have had, of which Frederik have had so precious few.

Two of the occasions where Frederik really got through to the audience where in situations where he was not concious of the situation, where he wasn't concerned about doing well, where he was so overjoyed he just went ahead. They were at the birth of Christian and now at the birth of the twins, where he faced the press. (*)
When Frederik speaks from the heart without being concious of what he is saying or has to say, that's where he is at his best.

That also explains why those who have spoken to him one on one, almost unanimously say they genuinely like him and what he says. - No audience.
Of course you should no discount Frederik's charisma in this context, not least on a personal level, which appeal to so many.

However, being a poor verbal comminicator is a handicap in our day an age, where Frederik is forced to communicate through the media.

(*) He made such a good impression that one article wrote about how well he expressed himself under the headline: "A father is born".
Old 01-16-2011, 03:15 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosapru View Post
Benedikte, I dont thing the academic degree and his military education has something to do with some ability or suitability. It's like knowledge and intelligence.
I just dont know if Frederick is suitable, but I just notice that he is not on the international stage as is Prince Felipe of spain, Haakon or Willem-Alexander. Haakon and Willem (who did the same course of studies) go every year to Davos (Economic Forum). Why Frederick is never invited to assit and discuss and be part of the forum? why the danish governement did not ask him to be part and intervene during the Green conference (sorry I miss the name) which take place in copenhaguen (Prince Charles was invited with Al Gore to deliver a speech, why not the own crown prince of the country) It just make me think they dont believe he can be able to do it? It is just questions from me (not negativity) but if a danish friend wants to answer. Thank you in advance. I'm french so forgive my very bad english....
Well in Denmark we are not hearing a lot about The spanish CP nor Willem. Actually we never hear about any of them.

I had no idee that Haakon and Willem go every year to Davos (Economic Forum). As I have never heard about this Forum.

I would how ever be surprised if the danish CP participated in any kind of political forum what so ever.

The danish royal house don't engage in political issues.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm not sure Fred will take his role seriously.
It seems like Mary is more serious about it at times. Maybe he's the type that takes things in a stride, I don't know, but I would definitely like to see how he handles his future role, he may surprise me
Old 01-16-2011, 03:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosapru View Post
That's a difficult question to answer. Because I simply don't know.

There can be all sorts of reasons why Frederik is not taking part. - Because it's not his area, because it didn't fit his schedule, because it is considered too political.
If Frederik is attending he is not in a position where he is allowed to say much anyway let alone commit to anything, so the main reason can hardly be a lack of confidence in him.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:23 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
I'm not sure Fred will take his role seriously.
It seems like Mary is more serious about it at times. Maybe he's the type that takes things in a stride, I don't know, but I would definitely like to see how he handles his future role, he may surprise me
I don't see why you should think that he isn't serious.

Par example the navy seal corps is such a difficult education that you wouldn't believe it.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:45 PM
Aristocracy

thanks everybody for answering my questions.
what muhler makes more sense to me and coincides with the impression i got of frederik myself. i remember him saying that mary is a severe and stimulating critic of his work and i think it meant that he is practising more and more and trying to stick to his notes more, event though of course this will not turn him into a super public speaker.
fortunately he has other kinds of charisma, which can make up for his mumblings etcetera.
nice to see that he delivers very well when his hearth is really into it, e.g. after the twins were born. Muhler, what did exactly say the article A father was born?
on the other hand, it could also be dangerous, bc from the poorness of his performance the audience can immediately understand he does not care about the special occasion...
This said, i do reckon he is so likeable and warm that he is a very suitable cp and will make a very nice king. a modern one, an emotional one maybe, a very sporty and trendy one, but a good one.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:46 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Just because he can go through the navy seal corps, doesn't mean he can be King of a country.
Education and a military career won't make him a good king, they might make him a better knowledgable person.

You might not understand why people can't see Frederik as a suitable King, but some of us can.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliz View Post
Muhler, what did exactly say the article A father was born?
I no longer have that article in my archive. I remember it because I translated it.
The author was positively surprised at how well and how confident Frederik expressed himself (just like at the press meeting last Saturday in fact) and how much of a change that was. Hence the reference to A (mature and confident) father is born.
The author also expressed a delight and hope that we were seeing a new Frederik emerging, in regards to speaking in public, press conferences and so on.
That wasn't to be the case.
Frederik replapsed into his usual speech pattern, or became aware of what and how he was saying things, if you like.

Tags
crown prince frederik