The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #81  
Old 04-11-2016, 02:12 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Detroit, United States
Posts: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestMom View Post
The Lutheran Church would have recognized her baptism and confirmation, so it was probably a matter of receiving some instruction, and acceptance into the Lutheran church. That being said, it bothers me when I read that ''Mary had to change her religion.'' She did not change her religion - Presbyterian and Lutheran are Christian faiths, but different denominations within that faith. She was a Christian and remains a Christian - she only changed her denomination. Peace.
Do you feel the same way about formerly Catholic members of the Danish royal family? That they only changed their denomination? Just curious because you only mentioned someone who went from one Protestant denomination to another? And indeed huge deals have been made in royal families over conversions from and to Catholicism.

Prince Valdemar of Denmark (1858-1939) and his wife, the former Princess Marie d'Orléans(who remained Catholic after her marriage), raised their sons Lutheran and their daughter Catholic.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 04-11-2016, 02:43 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Small Town, United States
Posts: 304
You are correct when you say that huge deals have been made about Protestant/Catholic conversions. Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall was Catholic, but is now a member of the Anglican Church. I think it has something to do with allegiance to the Pope, who as head of the Vatican state, is considered a monarch of sorts. Just my opinion. I married into a family with several Roman Catholic members, so to me it's not such a big deal. I would not have objected to either of my sons becoming Catholic.

Prince Henrik's reasons for not receiving Communion are his own, but it seems to me that he always looks uncomfortable and even bored in church - as if he'd rather be somewhere else. His religious views, or lack of them, are not for us to dissect. (I couldn't find a 'peace' smiley, so this angel will have to do.) Peace.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 04-11-2016, 02:56 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Thomas, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
Posts: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble Consort Ming View Post
Why then did the palace announce that Mary became a member of the Lutheran church?
I believe the other posters meant that although the Crown Princess became a member of the Lutheran Church of Denmark, the Church does not regard her as a "convert" because as a Presbyterian, it was not necessary for her to be re-confirmed.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 04-11-2016, 06:36 PM
FasterB's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 1,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
I wonder if in old age he is drifting back to the religion he was raised in. I mean, is he really a Lutheran because he so wanted to be? A lot of conversions happen when you marry into a royal family because it's expected.There is no way all of these conversions can be sincere. If he'd married a fellow Catholic he'd probably have stayed as he was as would Marie I think as well. Perhaps as he nears the end of his life he is thinking more deeply about these things as most people do.
Well, the Prince Consort has always (=as far as I remember) leaved the church during communion. So we cannot put it all under "old age". I think we can put it part under "raised catholic" and part under "booooooord when in church". But one thing I notice is that he stays in church during the sermon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble Consort Ming View Post
Why then did the palace announce that Mary became a member of the Lutheran church?
I believe the other posters meant that although the Crown Princess became a member of the Lutheran Church of Denmark, the Church does not regard her as a "convert" because as a Presbyterian, it was not necessary for her to be re-confirmed.
Exactly, Tatiana Maria
__________________
Where charity and love are, God is there.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 04-11-2016, 10:36 PM
CyrilVladisla's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Conneaut, United States
Posts: 2,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
I believe the other posters meant that although the Crown Princess became a member of the Lutheran Church of Denmark, the Church does not regard her as a "convert" because as a Presbyterian, it was not necessary for her to be re-confirmed.
Princess Mary was not re-confirmed. Did she have to be baptized in the Lutheran faith?
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 04-12-2016, 01:55 AM
Von Schlesian's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: York, United Kingdom
Posts: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Princess Mary was not re-confirmed. Did she have to be baptized in the Lutheran faith?
Most major Christian denominations recognise any previous baptism as valid in the case of conversions. The Lutheran church would only require baptism for an unbaptised person and as has been stated here before, the Crown Princess was a member of the Presbyterian Church in Australia (and therefore had been baptised already).
__________________
May she defend our laws, and ever give us cause, to sing with heart and voice, God save the Queen.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 04-12-2016, 03:52 AM
FasterB's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 1,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Schlesian View Post
Most major Christian denominations recognise any previous baptism as valid in the case of conversions. The Lutheran church would only require baptism for an unbaptised person and as has been stated here before, the Crown Princess was a member of the Presbyterian Church in Australia (and therefore had been baptised already).
Precisely
__________________
Where charity and love are, God is there.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 04-12-2016, 05:18 AM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 10,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestMom View Post
You are correct when you say that huge deals have been made about Protestant/Catholic conversions. Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall was Catholic, but is now a member of the Anglican Church.
Camilla was never Roman Catholic. She was born, raised and always has been Anglican. Many people think or assume she was Roman Catholic because she and Andrew Parker-Bowles married in a Roman Catholic service but she never changed to Roman Catholicism but that was because he was RC. At the time that they married the RC church only recognised the couple as married if they married in an RC ceremony (my brother had to marry in an RC service so his wife could be regarded as married by her church. He is Anglican and our Anglican priest had no issue so long as he was able to participate in the service so he lead the Protestants in saying the Lord's Prayer while the RC priest lead the RC's present (and yes there is a difference between the two versions).

Camilla was baptised in the church at Firle in Sussex - an Anglican church.

Autumn Philips, on the other hand, very publicly changed from Roman Catholicism to Church of England before marrying Peter Philips so that he wasn't removed from the line of succession when they married (wouldn't matter now but would have done so then).
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 04-12-2016, 08:19 AM
FasterB's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 1,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
... so he lead the Protestants in saying the Lord's Prayer while the RC priest lead the RC's present (and yes there is a difference between the two versions).
What is the difference? I ask only out of curiosity and because this area has my professional interest
__________________
Where charity and love are, God is there.
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 04-12-2016, 08:33 AM
iceflower's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: , Germany
Posts: 32,684
.

Let us please stay on topic of this thread. In the context of this thread religion may only be discussed as far as it concerns the Danish Royal Family! Thank you for your understanding!
__________________
**** Welcome aboard! ****
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 04-12-2016, 09:05 AM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 10,193
The Danes as protestants would, if translated into English, say the Lord's Prayer like this:

The Lord's Prayer which is much the same as the Anglican from the Book of Common Prayer. The Lord's Prayer Words- traditional

The RC version is Our Father Prayer-Catholic Lord's Prayer

The RC ends earlier than either the Lutherans or the Anglicans.

I hope mentioning the Lutheran version allows me to point out the differences.
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 04-12-2016, 09:21 AM
FasterB's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 1,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The Danes as protestants would, if translated into English, would say the Lord's Prayer:

The Lord's Prayer which is much the same as the Anglican from the Book of Common Prayer. The Lord's Prayer Words- traditional

The RC version is Our Father Prayer-Catholic Lord's Prayer

The RC ends earlier than either the Lutherans or the Anglicans.

I hope mentioning the Lutheran version allows me to point out the differences.
Then it´s "only" the doxology that differ them

Thank you, IluvBertie
__________________
Where charity and love are, God is there.
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 04-12-2016, 09:33 AM
Von Schlesian's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: York, United Kingdom
Posts: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The Danes as protestants would, if translated into English, would say the Lord's Prayer:

The Lord's Prayer which is much the same as the Anglican from the Book of Common Prayer. The Lord's Prayer Words- traditional

The RC version is Our Father Prayer-Catholic Lord's Prayer

The RC ends earlier than either the Lutherans or the Anglicans.

I hope mentioning the Lutheran version allows me to point out the differences.
Except in the Order of the Mass. When the Lord's Prayer is prayed withing Mass, the Doxology is said by the faithful, following the Embolism which is said by the celebrant alone.

I echo Iluvbertie's hope that this explanation is accepted only for the sake of clarity and not as an act of rebellion against the topic of the thread.
__________________
May she defend our laws, and ever give us cause, to sing with heart and voice, God save the Queen.
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 04-12-2016, 10:07 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 1,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Princess Mary was not re-confirmed. Did she have to be baptized in the Lutheran faith?
The mainstream Christian churches, including BTW the Roman Catholic Church, do not baptize the same person twice. If a person was baptized in a form that is considered "valid" (in most churches, using the Trinitarian formula and clean water), then he/she doesn't need to be "re-baptized" when joining another denomination.
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 04-12-2016, 10:12 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 1,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The Danes as protestants would, if translated into English, would say the Lord's Prayer:

The Lord's Prayer which is much the same as the Anglican from the Book of Common Prayer. The Lord's Prayer Words- traditional

The RC version is Our Father Prayer-Catholic Lord's Prayer

The RC ends earlier than either the Lutherans or the Anglicans.

I hope mentioning the Lutheran version allows me to point out the differences.

As explained below, the last part ("for thine is the kingdom [...]") is actually included a posteriori in the order of the Catholic mass. The modern version in English is, however, "for the kingdom, the power and the glory are yours, now and forever".
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 04-12-2016, 03:21 PM
FasterB's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 1,375
MidwestMom, I can´t respond to your PM :( The system says that you have decided not to receive PM ... :(
__________________
Where charity and love are, God is there.
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 04-12-2016, 05:07 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Small Town, United States
Posts: 304
Try again - I think I clicked on something I should have left blank, or vice versa. So I made some changes, and hope I did the right thing.
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 04-13-2016, 04:00 AM
FasterB's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 1,375
I still can´t sent you an answer, MidwestMom :(
__________________

__________________
Where charity and love are, God is there.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
danish royals


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Royals and Religion KelliB Royal Life and Lifestyle 147 01-28-2016 07:38 PM
Religion of Royal Spouses bct88 Royal Life and Lifestyle 56 12-30-2014 01:54 AM
The Emperor and the Shinto Religion PrincessKLS2007 Imperial Family of Japan 43 04-20-2014 09:28 AM
Religion and Religious Matters of the Dutch RF Bones Dutch Royals 4 04-01-2009 06:39 AM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge duchess of cornwall's fashion e-mail fashion poll germany grand duke jean greece kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week poland state visit to norway prince bernhard prince charles princess madeleine princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats queen juliana queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania queen rania in oslo royal fashion september 2016 spencers state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:20 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises