The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #441  
Old 10-01-2019, 04:25 PM
Muhler's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 12,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Was thinking that and wondered was there any reason given or a prior engagement?
Well, yes.
Joachim and our Marie currently live in Paris, where Joachim is attending an advanced staff-course, six days a week, 70 hours.
J&M took part in the memorial service for former president Chirac, presumably because they were on the scene. But that I think is about as much Joachim has, and can afford, to take time off from his course.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #442  
Old 10-01-2019, 04:30 PM
QUEENECE29's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Posts: 1,982
where is Marie and Joachim
__________________

__________________
my royalty pages
www.seldagoktas.com
Reply With Quote
  #443  
Old 10-01-2019, 04:44 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 137
I love the simplicity of this opening. Immensely dignified. Very different from the British version, although I enjoy the Alice in Wonderland over the topness of that as well. I have always admired The Queen of Denmark.

I have one question. Why do HM's son & sister not bow/curtsey when the Crown Princess does?
Reply With Quote
  #444  
Old 10-01-2019, 05:02 PM
Muhler's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 12,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
I love the simplicity of this opening. Immensely dignified. Very different from the British version, although I enjoy the Alice in Wonderland over the topness of that as well. I have always admired The Queen of Denmark.

I have one question. Why do HM's son & sister not bow/curtsey when the Crown Princess does?
It's a question that pops up from time to time.
And my opinion is that while this is a formal event they are after all also close family members and it would be in the eyes of the vast majority of Danes be seen as way over the top, should QMII's beloved sister curtsy to her older sister and her son bow to his mother. A kiss on the cheek suffice.
As for Mary and our Marie, when there, it's seen as a sign of respect since they are married into the family. But keep in mind that they kiss first then curtsy. Not the other way around.
It's another matter at the really big events like weddings and baptisms where it's a part of the show that Frederik and Joachim bow to their mother - or rather bow to the Queen.

The Danes in general prefer to see a family greet each other as a family first and foremost - greeting each other as royals will be bordering on the edge of being too formal.
It's a balance between the DRF maintaining the proper formalities in the eyes of the people without turning it into a parody of itself - again in the eyes of the people.
Reply With Quote
  #445  
Old 10-01-2019, 05:10 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
It's a question that pops up from time to time.
And my opinion is that while this is a formal event they are after all also close family members and it would be in the eyes of the vast majority of Danes be seen as way over the top, should QMII's beloved sister curtsy to her older sister and her son bow to his mother. A kiss on the cheek suffice.
As for Mary and our Marie, when there, it's seen as a sign of respect since they are married into the family. But keep in mind that they kiss first then curtsy. Not the other way around.
It's another matter at the really big events like weddings and baptisms where it's a part of the show that Frederik and Joachim bow to their mother - or rather bow to the Queen.

The Danes in general prefer to see a family greet each other as a family first and foremost - greeting each other as royals will be bordering on the edge of being too formal.
It's a balance between the DRF maintaining the proper formalities in the eyes of the people without turning it into a parody of itself - again in the eyes of the people.
Very interesting reply. Thank you again. The British seem rather stiff by comparison. Although it would be dull if everyone had the same customs.
Reply With Quote
  #446  
Old 10-01-2019, 05:13 PM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmhí, Ireland
Posts: 24,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Very interesting reply. Thank you again. The British seem rather stiff by comparison. Although it would be dull if everyone had the same customs.
And I prefer the British/Dutch Versions,the Danish is my least favourite and reminds me a line up prior to a church service.
__________________

16th of November,1528 : Birth of Jeanne d'Albret,Queen of Navarre
Reply With Quote
  #447  
Old 10-02-2019, 05:06 PM
Archduchess Zelia's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 2,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Well, yes.
Joachim and our Marie currently live in Paris, where Joachim is attending an advanced staff-course, six days a week, 70 hours.
J&M took part in the memorial service for former president Chirac, presumably because they were on the scene. But that I think is about as much Joachim has, and can afford, to take time off from his course.
But surely Marie could've made it there? I don't think the court has given a reason for her absence (although of course I don't know if anyone's inquired).
__________________
"Hope is like the sun. If you only believe it when you see it you'll never make it through the night."
Our Princess

Reply With Quote
  #448  
Old 10-02-2019, 05:13 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,617
I wonder if Marie simply didn't want to attend without Joachim. I mean there are neither sovereign nor crown princely couple so does it warrant flying back from France for?
Reply With Quote
  #449  
Old 10-02-2019, 05:28 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 9,712
It is a pity that the Parliament does not spice up the royal loge a bit. For an example by covering it with a gobelin or carpet with royal emblems or by flowery arrangements. It is so dull, looking like no any effort is made for the occasion.
Reply With Quote
  #450  
Old 10-02-2019, 05:33 PM
Muhler's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 12,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I wonder if Marie simply didn't want to attend without Joachim. I mean there are neither sovereign nor crown princely couple so does it warrant flying back from France for?
Agree. She could, but she didn't. No big deal IMO.
It's another matter is Mary didn't attend.
Benedikte too could get away with not attending.

Another matter is, that our Marie not being there, could also be emphasizing my little pet-theory, that J&M are quietly bowing out.

I'm far from certain that J&M will take part in the grand New Year court either.
Joachim because he is about to start in his class the very next morning I will assume. And again, Marie could go without her husband, but I very much doubt it.

- There is a wide agreement among royal commentators here in DK these days that should J&M stay for more than these twelve months in France, his apanage will "become a point for discussion" on next years Finance Bill. I.e. he is likely to be stripped of his apanage or have it reduced, or turned into an expense account or something similar. - It shall be most interesting!
Reply With Quote
  #451  
Old 10-02-2019, 05:37 PM
Muhler's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 12,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
It is a pity that the Parliament does not spice up the royal loge a bit. For an example by covering it with a gobelin or carpet with royal emblems or by flowery arrangements. It is so dull, looking like no any effort is made for the occasion.
That's deliberate.

The main focus is on the opening of the Parliament and what happens in the hall.
The galleries are for the guests and spectators. The DRF are merelythe guests of honor, but they are not the main characters on that particular day - even if they very much are in the eyes of the public and press.
That's also why no members of the DRF are seated on the floor of the Parliament either. That's reserved for the MPs - not all of whom are in favor or the monarchy.
Reply With Quote
  #452  
Old 10-03-2019, 12:43 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 9,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
That's deliberate.

The main focus is on the opening of the Parliament and what happens in the hall.
The galleries are for the guests and spectators. The DRF are merelythe guests of honor, but they are not the main characters on that particular day - even if they very much are in the eyes of the public and press.
That's also why no members of the DRF are seated on the floor of the Parliament either. That's reserved for the MPs - not all of whom are in favor or the monarchy.
Hmmm... It will be the Dutchman in me. This is the public tribune in The Hague for "normal" guests" and even this is always decorated for the occasion:
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...9wytlAoVEt_hH0

It is just weird in my eyes not even to mark a place for a special person, The Queen...
Reply With Quote
  #453  
Old 10-03-2019, 02:13 PM
Muhler's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 12,728
I won't argue against you.

The opening could indeed be a little more festive.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
alexandra, alexandra manley, benedikte, countess alexandra, countess of frederiksborg, crown prince frederik, crown princess mary, frederik, joachim, margrethe, margrethe ii, mary, mary donaldson, opening of parliament, prince frederik, prince joachim, princess alexandra, princess benedikte, queen margrethe


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Opening of Parliament: 2003-2019 Alexandria Royal House of Jordan 214 11-10-2019 11:46 AM
State Opening of Parliament 2002-2019 Josefine British Royals 786 10-16-2019 06:25 PM
Opening of Parliament, Riksdagen 2003-2019 Josefine Royal House of Sweden 516 09-13-2019 04:11 AM




Popular Tags
administrator archie mountbatten-windsor aristocracy bangladesh bavaria;house;chef;luitpold;ludwig belgian royal belgian royal family countess of wessex crown prince hussein's future wife crusades current events cypher danish royalty denmark duchess of cambridge duchess of sussex duke & duchess of cambridge; duke of sussex dutch royal family family search french royalty future future wife of prince hussein general news germany hamdan bin mohammed head of the house hill house of bernadotte house of grimaldi jerusalem king salman letter lithuania lithuanian palaces meghan markle memoir mohammed vi monaco royal monarchism monarchy mountbatten nelson mandela bay netflix nobel prize norway history official visit pakistan prince charles prince daniel prince harry princely family of monaco princess benedikte princess margaret qe2 queen mathilde queen paola rown royal children royal tour rumania south africa state visit state visit to denmark sweden swedish history trump valois viscount severn visit from sweden


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:02 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019
Jelsoft Enterprises
×