The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-01-2019, 04:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Was thinking that and wondered was there any reason given or a prior engagement?
Well, yes.
Joachim and our Marie currently live in Paris, where Joachim is attending an advanced staff-course, six days a week, 70 hours.
J&M took part in the memorial service for former president Chirac, presumably because they were on the scene. But that I think is about as much Joachim has, and can afford, to take time off from his course.

Old 10-01-2019, 04:30 PM
Royal Highness

where is Marie and Joachim

Old 10-01-2019, 04:44 PM
Aristocracy

I love the simplicity of this opening. Immensely dignified. Very different from the British version, although I enjoy the Alice in Wonderland over the topness of that as well. I have always admired The Queen of Denmark.

I have one question. Why do HM's son & sister not bow/curtsey when the Crown Princess does?
Old 10-01-2019, 05:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
I love the simplicity of this opening. Immensely dignified. Very different from the British version, although I enjoy the Alice in Wonderland over the topness of that as well. I have always admired The Queen of Denmark.

I have one question. Why do HM's son & sister not bow/curtsey when the Crown Princess does?
It's a question that pops up from time to time.
And my opinion is that while this is a formal event they are after all also close family members and it would be in the eyes of the vast majority of Danes be seen as way over the top, should QMII's beloved sister curtsy to her older sister and her son bow to his mother. A kiss on the cheek suffice.
As for Mary and our Marie, when there, it's seen as a sign of respect since they are married into the family. But keep in mind that they kiss first then curtsy. Not the other way around.
It's another matter at the really big events like weddings and baptisms where it's a part of the show that Frederik and Joachim bow to their mother - or rather bow to the Queen.

The Danes in general prefer to see a family greet each other as a family first and foremost - greeting each other as royals will be bordering on the edge of being too formal.
It's a balance between the DRF maintaining the proper formalities in the eyes of the people without turning it into a parody of itself - again in the eyes of the people.
Old 10-01-2019, 05:10 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
It's a question that pops up from time to time.
And my opinion is that while this is a formal event they are after all also close family members and it would be in the eyes of the vast majority of Danes be seen as way over the top, should QMII's beloved sister curtsy to her older sister and her son bow to his mother. A kiss on the cheek suffice.
As for Mary and our Marie, when there, it's seen as a sign of respect since they are married into the family. But keep in mind that they kiss first then curtsy. Not the other way around.
It's another matter at the really big events like weddings and baptisms where it's a part of the show that Frederik and Joachim bow to their mother - or rather bow to the Queen.

The Danes in general prefer to see a family greet each other as a family first and foremost - greeting each other as royals will be bordering on the edge of being too formal.
It's a balance between the DRF maintaining the proper formalities in the eyes of the people without turning it into a parody of itself - again in the eyes of the people.
Very interesting reply. Thank you again. The British seem rather stiff by comparison. Although it would be dull if everyone had the same customs.
Old 10-01-2019, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Very interesting reply. Thank you again. The British seem rather stiff by comparison. Although it would be dull if everyone had the same customs.
And I prefer the British/Dutch Versions,the Danish is my least favourite and reminds me a line up prior to a church service.

16th of November,1528 : Birth of Jeanne d'Albret,Queen of Navarre
Old 10-02-2019, 05:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Well, yes.
Joachim and our Marie currently live in Paris, where Joachim is attending an advanced staff-course, six days a week, 70 hours.
J&M took part in the memorial service for former president Chirac, presumably because they were on the scene. But that I think is about as much Joachim has, and can afford, to take time off from his course.
But surely Marie could've made it there? I don't think the court has given a reason for her absence (although of course I don't know if anyone's inquired).

Old 10-02-2019, 05:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

I wonder if Marie simply didn't want to attend without Joachim. I mean there are neither sovereign nor crown princely couple so does it warrant flying back from France for?
Old 10-02-2019, 05:28 PM
Majesty

It is a pity that the Parliament does not spice up the royal loge a bit. For an example by covering it with a gobelin or carpet with royal emblems or by flowery arrangements. It is so dull, looking like no any effort is made for the occasion.
Old 10-02-2019, 05:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I wonder if Marie simply didn't want to attend without Joachim. I mean there are neither sovereign nor crown princely couple so does it warrant flying back from France for?
Agree. She could, but she didn't. No big deal IMO.
It's another matter is Mary didn't attend.
Benedikte too could get away with not attending.

Another matter is, that our Marie not being there, could also be emphasizing my little pet-theory, that J&M are quietly bowing out.

I'm far from certain that J&M will take part in the grand New Year court either.
Joachim because he is about to start in his class the very next morning I will assume. And again, Marie could go without her husband, but I very much doubt it.

- There is a wide agreement among royal commentators here in DK these days that should J&M stay for more than these twelve months in France, his apanage will "become a point for discussion" on next years Finance Bill. I.e. he is likely to be stripped of his apanage or have it reduced, or turned into an expense account or something similar. - It shall be most interesting!
Old 10-02-2019, 05:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
It is a pity that the Parliament does not spice up the royal loge a bit. For an example by covering it with a gobelin or carpet with royal emblems or by flowery arrangements. It is so dull, looking like no any effort is made for the occasion.
That's deliberate.

The main focus is on the opening of the Parliament and what happens in the hall.
The galleries are for the guests and spectators. The DRF are merelythe guests of honor, but they are not the main characters on that particular day - even if they very much are in the eyes of the public and press.
That's also why no members of the DRF are seated on the floor of the Parliament either. That's reserved for the MPs - not all of whom are in favor or the monarchy.
Old 10-03-2019, 12:43 PM
Majesty

Quote:
That's deliberate.

The main focus is on the opening of the Parliament and what happens in the hall.
The galleries are for the guests and spectators. The DRF are merelythe guests of honor, but they are not the main characters on that particular day - even if they very much are in the eyes of the public and press.
That's also why no members of the DRF are seated on the floor of the Parliament either. That's reserved for the MPs - not all of whom are in favor or the monarchy.
Hmmm... It will be the Dutchman in me. This is the public tribune in The Hague for "normal" guests" and even this is always decorated for the occasion:
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...9wytlAoVEt_hH0

It is just weird in my eyes not even to mark a place for a special person, The Queen...
Old 10-03-2019, 02:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

I won't argue against you.

The opening could indeed be a little more festive.

Tags
alexandra, alexandra manley, benedikte, countess alexandra, countess of frederiksborg, crown prince frederik, crown princess mary, frederik, joachim, margrethe, margrethe ii, mary, mary donaldson, opening of parliament, prince frederik, prince joachim, princess alexandra, princess benedikte, queen margrethe