The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Belgium > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 05:11 PM
Royal Highness

thanks iceflower!!! great photos.

Old 03-27-2007, 04:55 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I read in Dutch newspaper 'De Telegraaf' today that Laurent is nop longer welcome at official functions in the palace. Hence they explain his absense during the state visit from Luxembourg and the 50th anniversairy of the treaty of Rome. Is this true or just speculation by the newspaper (the presented it as a fact anyway).

Old 03-27-2007, 05:15 AM
Heir Presumptive

it would seem a justified decision, he has dented their reputation and does not seem a very stable character. If he behaves himself for the next coming ten years it can always be revoked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo
I read in Dutch newspaper 'De Telegraaf' today that Laurent is nop longer welcome at official functions in the palace. Hence they explain his absense during the state visit from Luxembourg and the 50th anniversairy of the treaty of Rome. Is this true or just speculation by the newspaper (the presented it as a fact anyway).
Old 03-27-2007, 05:51 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan alicia
it would seem a justified decision, he has dented their reputation and does not seem a very stable character. If he behaves himself for the next coming ten years it can always be revoked.
Do you guys think [since your, well in the Benelux region, you guys are up to date with the lies and truths behind belgium royalty news] it would isolate Laurent more from his father and brother and would feel compel to rebel, like in the past, as revenge?
Old 03-27-2007, 05:52 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Thanks Marengo for the news and update .
Old 03-27-2007, 05:57 AM
Administrator

I agree with you flctylu. If anything it will create more idleness for Laurent, more frustration etc. And judging from all the stories I have read about him during the trial, that was one of the main reasons that got him in this mess in the first place.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think he must have been talked to by various people, including his father and if he does not tread carefully in the future he will lose more priviliges. They seem like a very warm family but I imagine they can be pretty ruthless when it comes to the secure future of the monarchy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flctylu
Do you guys think [since your, well in the Benelux region, you guys are up to date with the lies and truths behind belgium royalty news] it would isolate Laurent more from his father and brother and would feel compel to rebel, like in the past, as revenge?
Old 03-27-2007, 07:47 AM
Aristocracy

A warm family? I think Laurent would disagree with you Susan!
Old 03-27-2007, 10:33 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I agree with you flctylu. If anything it will create more idleness for Laurent, more frustration etc. And judging from all the stories I have read about him during the trial, that was one of the main reasons that got him in this mess in the first place.
In my opinion banning him seems a bit childish. It's not like Prince Laurent is terribly unstable and creates a public spectacle at every official event. I can easily see how this can harbor more resentment between Laurent and the rest of the family, particularly his father.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:10 AM
Heir Presumptive

I guess that fathering children outside of marriage is more acceptable than financial irregularities.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan
I guess that fathering children outside of marriage is more acceptable than financial irregularities.
well, the King can hardly throw himself out of the palace .
Old 03-27-2007, 11:19 AM
Heir Presumptive

it is to me, what Laurant did was greedy, stupid, irrisponsible and spoiled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan
Old 04-02-2007, 01:49 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Well, he claims that he can't afford food at the end of the week - despite being on 300,000 Euros a year. Which is quite strange.
Keeping up with the "Jones's" does cost money, yuh know !!!
Old 04-03-2007, 04:57 PM
Commoner

Laurent's Uncle?

I just read on "Flanders News" (flandersnews.be - No longer welcome)
that Prince Laurent's uncle is Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg. Is that true? Or do they mean Grand Duke Jean? Is Laurent younger than I think?
Old 04-03-2007, 05:30 PM
Commoner

I believe that Grand Duke Henri is first cousin to Prince Laurent. Late Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte was an older sister to King Albert. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:04 PM
Royal Highness

Cool

Indeed, Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte and King Albert were siblings so Laurent and Grand Duke Henri are cousins. I read that same article and thought, "Huh".
Old 04-12-2007, 02:48 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Pic 11.4.2007

Belgium's representative Prince Laurent of Belgium receives the Energy Globe National Honorary Award, from the President of Eco Social Forum, former EU Commissioner for Agriculture, Franz Fischler during the Energy Globe World Award ceremony hosted by the European Parliament in Brussels 11 April 2007. Awards on the night were given in categories of fire, earth, water and air along with a youth award and a "national honorary award" which went to host nation Belgium for an integration of energy efficiency and renewable energy technologies. AFP PHOTO / JACQUES COLLET

---> Pic
Old 04-24-2007, 12:59 PM
Royal Highness

Prince Laurent did it again....

Prince Laurent of Belgium has caused new consternation.

The Prince visited an animal hospital in Antwerp, which he opened 6 years ago. The hospital is for owners who have not enough financial means to cover the costs of medical care for their pets.

The Prince had invited press for this visit. Various photographers and a TV-camerateam were present to cover the princely visit. But when Prince Laurent arrived -a half hour too late- he refused the media to cover his visit. He stated that the media was only allowed to cover his departure and wanted to be left alone during his visit to the animal hospital.

In protest the photographers and the camerateam spontaneously and demonstratively left the venue. The main reason for the anger is: if the Prince does not want media coverage, he should not have invited the media. And pictures of a Prince leaving a building have no any news value, in contrary to pictures of the Prince with dogs.

Anyway, Prince Laurent ignored the protests: after the visit the media went back 'home' without useful pictures and images.

Source:
Old 04-25-2007, 12:59 AM
Serene Highness

what was he thinking?! or would the media have treated him not well no matter what, as he's the official black sheep of the family now?
Old 04-25-2007, 01:00 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower
Belgium's representative Prince Laurent of Belgium receives the Energy Globe National Honorary Award, from the President of Eco Social Forum, former EU Commissioner for Agriculture, Franz Fischler during the Energy Globe World Award ceremony hosted by the European Parliament in Brussels 11 April 2007. Awards on the night were given in categories of fire, earth, water and air along with a youth award and a "national honorary award" which went to host nation Belgium for an integration of energy efficiency and renewable energy technologies. AFP PHOTO / JACQUES COLLET

---> Pic
glad to see some good news regarding this prince who I've always liked

Tags
claire, current events, laurent, prince laurent, princess claire