Who's the nicest Royal Mother in Law?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Who is the nicest royal Mother-in-Law?

• Queen Paola of Belgium

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Empress Michiko of Japan

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Queen Margrethe of Denmark

Votes: 58 17.8%
  • Queen Noor of Jordan

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Queen Elizabeth of the United Kingdom

Votes: 20 6.2%
  • Princess Marie of Liechtenstein

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Queen Sabika of Bahrain

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Queen Sofía of Spain

Votes: 88 27.1%
  • Queen Sonja of Norway

Votes: 30 9.2%
  • Grand Duchess Maria Teresa of Luxembourg

Votes: 21 6.5%
  • Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands

Votes: 76 23.4%
  • Queen Anne-Marie of Greece

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • Queen Anne of Romania

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Queen Saleha of Brunei

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 4 1.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Queen Margarethe really seems to be a sweet mother-in-law. Mary and Marie have nothing but good things to say about her. She seems like a good person too, I think they're lucky to have a mother-in-law like her.

I think Silvia will be a good mom-in-law.

I cannot decide which mother in law is the "nicest", because we don't really know how they are in private. All I can say is that I always enjoy seeing the Queen Beatrix and Princess Margriet with their daughters in law. They always look confortable with each other and always seem very happy and relaxed.:)

I voted Queen Margrethe, because I know that she have a warm & lovely relationship to her daughters-in-law Marie & Mary (& Countess Alexandra when she was married to P Joachim). I know that especially her & Mary get along very well & their relationship seems so amazing.

It's hard for me to choose one because nearly all of them seem like wonderful mothers-in-law.

I think Margriet, Beatrix, and Margrethe are enjoying having daughters now after raising only boys - especially Margriet; I can't imagine having 4 sons and no girls!

Since last week we have a new royal member in her role as "mother-in-law". I think that Queen Silvia will be a fantastic mother in law and a great help to Daniel. They both seem to get along very well.

I have to go with Queen Elizabeth II because she put up with so much bad press from one DIL without comment.

Difficult choise. I don't know and therefore I have not vote jet. Maybe Princess Margriet

Her Majesty,Queen Sofia of Spain

based on what i read everywhere and what ive seen on videos and pictures, is definately Queen Beatrix (the amazing trio with WA and Maxima) and Queen Sofia (always love when i see Sofia and Letizia smiling and laughing at each other, especially hugging each other^^).

other 3 that i think are nice as well are Queen Silvia, Grand Duchess Maria Teresa (LOVE her with Stephanie) and Empress Michiko (a pity that she has a few votes, she actually is known to be a great mother-in-law and friend to Masako and has helped her over the years because of depression, as Michiko herself had depression before)

i know this is about mother-in-law, but Prince Henrik is a great father-in-law of Mary!!!!!!

Last edited:
I think that Elizabeth II is a nice mother in law to Sophie. She seems to talk to her a lot and they both get on well with each other. An article a couple of years ago in the Daily Mail said that the Earl and Countess of Wessex were new 'firm favourites.' IMO, the Queen is a generally nice and chatty person and I'd love to meet her.

Last edited:
Lighthouse said:
I have to go with Queen Elizabeth II because she put up with so much bad press from one DIL without comment.

I don't believe QEII had any bad press from DIL. The son/husband, however, earned what he got IMHO.

my vote is for Queen Beatrix but I think Queen Margrethe II, Queen Sonja and Grand Duchess Maria Teresa are quite nice too.

Queen Beatrix seems to be a very warm and welcoming mother-in-law.

How the heck should anyone of us know? Who of us knows all these women in private well enought to have a qualified opinion?

How the heck should anyone of us know? Who of us knows all these women in private well enought to have a qualified opinion?
of course no one knows them in private life. but we vote based on what we see them in pictures/articles/videos...there are lots of occassions that some Royal mother-in-laws show public affection towards their daughters/sons-in-law, if its their genuine affection or just acting its up to our personal opinions.
to me, the ones i said that are the best mothers-in-law (in my post in the previous page) are all genuine to me, at least in public and/or at least in my eye!

Exactly so. We do not know these women well enough to know who is the nicest M-I-L so what we do is look at what we see and read concerning their interaction with their in-laws.

I think one of the easiest relationships to examine is Beatrix and Maxima. Beatrix lost her husband within months of Maxima marrying Willem-Alexander and I think this created a unique bond between them as they spend so much time together in public by virtue of her marriage to the heir. Beatrix and Maxima seem happy, animated and totally at ease when in each other's company.

We are also bowled over by the fact that unlike any other Queen, Beatrix appears to have given Maxima the keys to the legendary Dutch "vaults" wherein lie all things sparkly! Such a singular honour speaks well of their relationship.

As to the nicest? Well, as already stated, we don't see anywhere near as much of any of the other contenders with their in-laws to enable us to tell although from photo's it seems that Queen Sylvia and Daniel have developed a very sweet and tender relationship since his marriage and the birth of Estelle.

My vote goes to Grand Duchess Maria Teresa. Any mother-in-law who introduces you to Elie Saab and puts the Royal jewel vault of fabulous tiaras at your disposal is a very nice mother-in-law indeed. :cool:

Last edited:
Last edited:
Her Majesty, Queen Noor of jordan.

I agree it's practically impossible to judge this from the outside...maybe the ladies appear great mother's in law have had a big say in the relationships of their children and partners who weren't to their liking weren't eligible for marriage :)

But i've voted for GD Marie-Therese because of how glowing and proud she looked at the recent Luxemburg wedding and how she has supported her daughter-in-law Tessy when she was already pregnant before her marriage (and she apparently knows what it's like not to get along with your mother in law)

Empress Michiko tips the list for me
Queen Margrethe
Queen Beatrix
Queen Sofia
Grand Duchess Maria Theresa

The last 4 in no particular

I would imagine that Queen Sonja must be a very warm and loving mother in law, even more with the civil background that she and her children in law have in common. I also loved how Grand Duchess Maria Teresa was blowing her son and daughter in law kisses at the wedding, she seems very affectionate.

The pictures of Queen Silvia and Daniel are absolutely precious, they seem very close :wub:

Yes, I love the Daniel/Sylvia relationship too...it's beautiful!

I voted for Queen Sophia of Spain. She seems to be a nice person to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom