The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > General Royal Discussion > Royal Chit Chat

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-18-2011, 09:14 AM
Gentry

Well, you see, he has a real job. He is an active duty member or the Royal Air Force, so that takes up a lot of his time and he is right now on a tour of New Zealand and Australia, representing his grandmother. Ifr he wasn't an active serving officer, you might have a point, but he is, as is his brother.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
He's getting a free ride because his Mommy was Diana
A pointless contribution with a) no relevance and b) nothing to support it whatsoever. Nice one

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 03-18-2011, 09:43 AM
Commoner

I like this contribution, "Madame Royale". Nice one indeed.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:41 AM

Laziest royal

It is definitely Prince Andrew. Hanging around with jet setting people. Having a job that sounds like it was created to have something to do. He needed to take lessons from Princess Diana on how to make a difference.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Prince Laurent of Belgium & The Duke of York.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:20 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkilroy2 View Post
It is definitely Prince Andrew. Hanging around with jet setting people. Having a job that sounds like it was created to have something to do. He needed to take lessons from Princess Diana on how to make a difference.
The title was not 'created' for Andrew. Andrew took over the position from the Duke of Kent who stepped down from the position. He held the position for many decades. Part of the job includes traveling, and meeting with people, and making business connections. And of course Diana was never seen on yachst, or sun bathing or on vacation ever right?

He may not be the hardest working man, but he does work. He devoted a good chunk of his life to the navy. He often comes here to Canada, for work related to the Canadian military, as a commonwealth country.

He served as patron for MEA, a group to promote better relations with the middle east, and is the royal patron for Fight for sight, one of the leading charities to combat blindness.

He may not be the hardest working member of his family, but he is not just jet setting and drinking champagne for fun. He does work, and represent numerous good causes.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:24 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHAmy View Post
I'm not sure if this has been posted as a thread yet, but which royal do you think does not use their position to the fullest extent? I tend to see other royals like the royals of Monaco (specifically caroline and family) always on vacations rather than doing more for the people in Monaco. And others like Charles and Camilla that are out there almost everyday at functions for their people. In your mind who is the laziest royal?
I'm sorry but they are not nuns or missionaries. Royalty are celebrities, like a Hollywood starlit. Yes they do have obligations to their people, but they do have private lives and fun. They go on vacation imagine that. Charles and Camilla I am sure do as well. The queen goes to Balmoral every summer. Diana went on vacations too, she was not Mother Theresa 365 days a year.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:32 PM
Heir Apparent

IMHO, Prince Harry.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal
IMHO, Prince Harry.
You're kidding right? Prince Harry just qualified as an apache helicopter pilot in the military. He doesn't do many public events yet because he's active duty military.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:42 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyemma View Post
does he have a non-royal job? if he is a full time royal, he appears to do very little...
No he doesn't. But after the major corruption scandal a few years ago, when he was actually interogated by the police and had to appear in court, it is speculated he was not welcome at royal engagements any more.

There is also rumor that he is the reason Elisabeth can thank him for being Crown Princess when her father takes the throne. Supposedly Baudoin disagreed with Laurent on many issues including religion, and wanted to push Laurent further away from the throne. He dropped from second to third and is now even further with the birth of nieces and nephews.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:54 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy57 View Post
In 2005 Edward carried out 349 official engagements in the UK and overseas - hardly evidence of him being lazy.

Don't forget that for each of these engagements there would need to be briefings about the people to be met and the work of the organisation etc. This is behinds the scene work that isn't counted in the number of engagements but is the preparation needed to do the engagement properly.
As well as he travels likely more than most other than Andrew. He took over as head of the Commonwealth games federation, and the Duke of Edinburgh awards, both from his father. It points again more towards the intention, when Charles is king, to Edward taking his father's title, as said when he married. Both require him to be over seas a lot. Travel time should be taken into consideration as well. I believe he is also involved with the paralympics and several other groups as a patron.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:27 PM
Heir Apparent

I am sorry, I think I misunderstood the question!
Prince Harry does have a good excuse for not attending events then, but what about his cousins Beatrice and Eugenie?
Old 03-21-2011, 10:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
I am sorry, I think I misunderstood the question!
Prince Harry does have a good excuse for not attending events then, but what about his cousins Beatrice and Eugenie?
They have an equally good excuse...they are in university. As previously pointed out by iluvbertie in a couple of the Beatrice/Eugenie threads....both Harry and William were not expected to perform royal engagements at the age that Beatrice and Eugenie are now. Beatrice and Eugenie show up at the "big events" but that is about it.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:45 PM
Gentry

Beatrice and Eugenie

I don't know about other royal families, but in the BRF, I would say Beatrice and Eugenie are the laziest. I never see then doing anything but look wasted while leaving nighclubs and parties dressed in ridiculous fashion or on vacation on a beach somewhere. Please correct me if I'm wrong...
Old 03-21-2011, 10:59 PM
Administrator

Again, Beatrice and Eugenie are 22 and 20...doing exactly the same thing that their Wales cousins and Zara did when they were the same age.

The only difference is that the press did not follow every aspect of William's life when he was in college. Does anyone remember the agreement between the Press and BP regarding Harry and William following Diana's death?

Old 03-21-2011, 10:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

agreed they need to step it up
Old 03-21-2011, 11:01 PM
Administrator

Step up what?

I am sorry...but how often do you see the young Luxembourg royals out doing public engagements...they are about the same age? I am talking about Alexandra, Felix? And if anyone can remember that far back....Joachim, WA, Fred, etc. At the same age that Beatrice and Eugenie are now...they appeared in public during big events and for the most part, their private life was not publicized while they were in school. Nor did they step it up and do a ton of engagements.

I find it a little sad that we are comparing the royal engagements of two young woman who are in college with grown adults. Even comparing them with their cousins who have a good four to eight years on them...shouldn't they be compared or graded on a curve?

Old 03-21-2011, 11:14 PM
Administrator

According to Wikipedia, William didn't begun royal duties until the age of 21 when he was made a Counsellor of State, and Harry at the age of 23. During that time they all began military careers, hugn out at bars, and were photographed doing not so nice things that come to mind.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:21 PM
Gentry

I'm sorry but in the real world, if you are 20 or 22 years-old you are an adult. OK so they are in college but they are still princesses. It's not only about not working, it's embarassing the monarchy by going out looking like THIS or THIS. They still represent the crown, even if in a minor way. They should know better. So that have an excuse not to work, but some time ago, it was reported that Eugenie was in trouble in college because she was partying too much. There was even photos of her running around campus with a bunch of book or something. She are not working and they are not applying herself at school. And Beatrice, I think she is out of college already, I'm not sure.
PS. Sorry about Lily Allen in the second picture it was the only one i could find of Eugenie in this outifit
Old 03-21-2011, 11:26 PM
Gentry

William and Harry

About William and Harry, they also made a lot of mistakes and embarassed the queen, especially Harry - remember the hitler costume? That was awful. But they turned around and got better. I hope Beatrice and Eugenie can do the same thing

And if you recall in my post, I was talking about the BRITISH family. I did say that i didn't know much about the others.

But I agree. Fred was lazy. Even I, who don't follow his life, heard rumors about that. I hope he got better