Saddest Royals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EmpressRouge

Serene Highness
Country
United States
Saddest/Most miserable Royals

Which royal (past or present) had the saddest or most miserable life? :( Now, I don't mean just a tragically sad death (although that can be a factor), but he/she lived a miserable, lonely, sad life.

Here are my top choices:
Crown Princess Masako of Japan - gave up such a promising career only to be crushed by the Imperial Household Agency
Empress Elisabeth (Sissi) of Austria - tragic life and death hidden behind her great beauty.
Empress/Princess Soraya of Iran - La princesse aux yeux tristes ("the princess with the sad eyes") both of her great love stories ended sadly and tragically. Died in seclusion and loneliness.
The Hesse sisters in Russia:
Elisabeth Feodorovna (Ella), Grand Duchess Sergei - Devoted a homosexual husband only to see him assissinated. Pledged her life to religion and charity, but met a similar end like her husband. Could have prevented WWI and everything that followed if she didn't refuse Kaiser Wilhelm's earlier marriage proposal (but who can blame her)
Alexandra Feodorovna (Alix), last Tsarina of Russia - shunned by the adopted country she was devoted to. A happy family plagued by hemophilia she brought into the family. Unwisely relied on Rasputin for hope, but caused their ultimate grusome demise.

Most miserable royal:
Charles (Carlos) II, last Hapsburg King of Spain - poster child for the dangers of inbreeding. mentally and physically disabled and disfigured. could barely talk, walk, eat, or procreate. "By the last two years of his life, he was virtually helpless: he was completely lame, bald, deaf, nearly toothless, and almost blind; he was also prone to epileptic fits." (wikipedia)

Last edited:
I would have to say

Empress Marie Federovna (spelling?) The Russian Tsarina. Almost her entire family was murdered in the revolution (1918). Till the day she died she refused to believe they had all been murdered so ruthlessly.

Princess Marie Ceclie of Mountbatten & family (2 sons & hubby) - all perished in a plane crash except for their youngest daughter who was taken in by relatives and later died of Menigitis.

Diana, Princess of Wales - Tragic marraige, tragically died in a car crash just when she was finally closing up all of the royal drama in her life and moving on. She was just finding herself.

Princess Charlotte Augusta of Wales - only daughter of George IV & Caroline of Brunswick, married Prince Leopold. She had 2 miscarraiges and then concieved the third time only to die the day after she delivered a son who also died. Charlotte died of post partum hemorrage and shock. The doctor later committed suicide, he had diagnosed a transverse lie of the baby which was correct but failed to use the forceps. The labour went on for 50 hours. She was only 21.

1. Princess Charlotte

Last edited:
Princess Caroline and Stephanie of Monaco- Their mother killed tragically and both have bad luck with marriages.

Queen Victoria- Her husband died young. In mourning for rest of her life

Princess Charlotte Augusta of Wales - only daughter of George IV & Caroline of Brunswick, married Prince Leopold. She had 2 miscarraiges and then concieved the third time only to die the day after she delivered a son who also died. Charlotte died of post partum hemorrage and shock. The doctor later committed suicide, he had diagnosed a transverse lie of the baby which was correct but failed to use the forceps. The labour went on for 50 hours. She was only 21.

that has to be the saddest story i have ever heard.

Prince Leopold never got over her death. After he was elected the first King of the Belgians, he finally remarried (to Louise-Marie d'Orleans), but had a mistress that looked exactly like the late Charlotte! Nevertheless, the royal couple managed to have a family and named only daughter Charlotte, who would become the mad Empress Carlota of Mexico.
source: Joan's Mad Monarchs Series (A great read!) http://www.xs4all.nl/~kvenjb/madmonarchs/charlotte/charlotte_bio.htm

Definately, Empress Soraya of Iran and Princess Diana of Wales

EmpressRouge said:
Prince Leopold never got over her death. After he was elected the first King of the Belgians, he finally remarried (to Louise-Marie d'Orleans), but had a mistress that looked exactly like the late Charlotte! Nevertheless, the royal couple managed to have a family and named only daughter Charlotte, who would become the mad Empress Carlota of Mexico.
source: Joan's Mad Monarchs Series (A great read!) http://www.xs4all.nl/~kvenjb/madmonarchs/charlotte/charlotte_bio.htm[/QUOTE]

Yes, Prince Leopold was completly devestated when Princess Charlotte died. He never truly got over her or the death of their child. Their marraige was said to be quite a happy one.

Although very tragic without Princess Charlote's death and the death of her son Queen Victoria would have never reigned.... Imagine how different things would have been. The entire course of history changed!

Last edited:
Prince William and Prince Harry had lost their beloved mother the Princess Diana of Wales when both was 15 and 13 in killed car crash in Paris,France by driver drunk and paparazzi chase by her for images by fooler at Princess Diana for no excuses!

thanks for info,Queen Malka

Sara Boyce

I agree with Australian: even the princess of monaco haven´t had a miserable life, it wasn´t the best: they lost their mother at a young age and they haven´t got luck with men. But to choose one of them: Caroline, couse she lost her husband , sudden and with 3 litlle kids. And she seem to be so happy and in love with him!!

Pss. Diana was a sad person too.Her husband didn´t love her and dated with other woman.And her children lost her as teens

Masako, even i don´t know almost nothing about her, i feel sad: don´t have boy when you need it must be awful

Very sad stories, I was shocked by the story of Charles II of Spain.

For me Caroline & Stephanie too, they both lost their mom tragically, Caroline became a young widow, looses her father and her husband was in Intensive Care for days, then a bad luck in her first marriage.

Stephanie bad luck on her first marriage, and she was inside the car when the accident happened, not to mention that some people blamed her for the accident, which isn't true because she wasn't driving the car. Then a lot of people have been harsh on her too.

Soraya - Truly loved by the Shah, but couldn't produce children (The Shah never got over her either)
Diana - Not truly loved by Charles as he loves Camilla (I also believe she also had alot to do with her problems) I blame Charles definitely more, but he didn't do it by himself.
Melita - Married to a homosexual from Germany - Waited until Q. Victoria died and married her true love from Russia-died devastated because she found out he had a mistress.
Ella - Melita's sister - devoted to a Homosexual

for me it is also Princess Caroline. Just take a look a her sad eyes.

Attachments

• 6carolineR_260x350.jpg
    6carolineR_260x350.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 4,070
Princess Diana stands on top of the saddest,a sad childhood,a cheating husband,bulimia,attemping sucide,divorce and worst is the end,to die in a tragic accident when you're only 36,seems that her miseries are still to be continued,the woman between she and her husband has replaced her!

cute_girl said:
Princess Diana stands on top of the saddest,a sad childhood,a cheating husband,bulimia,attemping sucide,divorce and worst is the end,to die in a tragic accident when you're only 36,seems that her miseries are still to be continued,the woman between she and her husband has replaced her!

Definitly agree. Poor Diana, she had so many troubles in her life:(, she didn´t have much happiness

tbhrc said:
for me it is also Princess Caroline. Just take a look a her sad eyes.

She looks so sad in that pic
Sadden pics of Caroline::(
grace´s funeral, Stefano funeral and Ranier´s funeral

Attachments

• 6194958[1].jpg
    6194958[1].jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 3,978
  • carolinemonaco61[1].jpg
    carolinemonaco61[1].jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 2,267
  • carolinemonaco359[1].jpg
    carolinemonaco359[1].jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 5,937
  • 20[1].jpg
    20[1].jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 7,932
As she had bad moments she had good ones...:)

Attachments

• Cro J.jpg
    Cro J.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 1,362
  • 0003[1].jpg
    0003[1].jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 1,016
  • Proud.jpg
    Proud.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 530
  • carolinemonaco63[1].jpg
    carolinemonaco63[1].jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 933
  • 1988[1].jpg
    1988[1].jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 3,746
michelleq said:
Soraya - Truly loved by the Shah, but couldn't produce children (The Shah never got over her either)

I didn't know that the Shah never got over her. How do you know that?
That's so sad...
To have to live your life apart from your love...cry cry :( sheer torture :(
I know I couldn't do it!

lashinka2002 said:
I didn't know that the Shah never got over her. How do you know that?
That's so sad...
To have to live your life apart from your love...cry cry :( sheer torture :(
I know I couldn't do it!

In her book, Soraya writes how the Shah had granted her the title of "her Imperial Highness" and was the only royal family member to be granted this title after exilation. Unlike his first wife, Fauzia she had left with the Shah's heart. In some old news reports, rumours had it that the Shah wrote to her or sent her the occasional flowers. Personally, I don't think he did get over her because till his death he still had a photo of her on his desk.
But in a way, they both have reunited in the eternal life. Soraya just passed away in 2002, and the Shah's current and ex wife are still alive.

Both Caroline & Stephanie looked devastated on Rainier's funeral, seeing them made me sadder. It's good to see they're starting to smile again.

Queen Malka said:
In her book, Soraya writes how the Shah had granted her the title of "her Imperial Highness" and was the only royal family member to be granted this title after exilation. Unlike his first wife, Fauzia she had left with the Shah's heart. In some old news reports, rumours had it that the Shah wrote to her or sent her the occasional flowers. Personally, I don't think he did get over her because till his death he still had a photo of her on his desk.
But in a way, they both have reunited in the eternal life. Soraya just passed away in 2002, and the Shah's current and ex wife are still alive.

I wasn't aware of all this Soraya/Shah information. Soraya had a very sad life because I believe when she fell in love again in the late 60s, I think her partner died in an accident, not sure.

Soraya was the Shah's first love while Farah was also his mature love and the mother of his children and support in the hard moments.

monaco70s said:
I wasn't aware of all this Soraya/Shah information. Soraya had a very sad life because I believe when she fell in love again in the late 60s, I think her partner died in an accident, not sure.

Soraya was the Shah's first love while Farah was also his mature love and the mother of his children and support in the hard moments.
he 2nd husband died in a helicopter crash and about Farah,though she claims of a passionate love between herself and the shah,several of shah's mistresses have published their diaries nowadays saying that the couple didnt live together after having the 4th child,even farah's cousin Mr. Ansari writes in his book that he knew of a relation between farah and one of her gaurds and had warned her on brakdown of her marriage several times.

monaco70s said:

She was involved with Italian director Franco Indovina and appeared in I Tre volti (The Three Faces of a Woman) directed by him. They lived together until his death in 1972 in a plane crash.

Oh thanks for the info everyone, it would really be cool to see that film, although I'm not a big Soraya fan, I find her as one of the most beautiful women from her time esp. in the 60s/70s she had wonderful eyes.

The marriage crisis of the Shah and Farah is something new to me.

monaco70s said:
Oh thanks for the info everyone, it would really be cool to see that film, although I'm not a big Soraya fan, I find her as one of the most beautiful women from her time esp. in the 60s/70s she had wonderful eyes.

The marriage crisis of the Shah and Farah is something new to me.
I've heard that shah collected all the copies of the film so there's not one copy available,it was also said that he was involved with the helicopter crash because he was jealous of Franco.

sara1981 said:
Prince William and Prince Harry had lost their beloved mother the Princess Diana of Wales when both was 15 and 13 in killed car crash in Paris,France

Sara Boyce

Hey there Sara
I believe that the fact William and Harry lost their mother doesn't exactly qualify them as "THE saddest royals".

Losing your mother is something really hard (I can say for myself since I was just an year older than William when I lost my own mother), but time eases the pain.

For what I could see, William and Harry seem to be two strong young men that have gone through this tough time well and together.

But notice that, by any means, I'm not saying that they don't miss their mother anymore, this would be the biggest lie of all times, since I miss my mother till this day.

Everytime you have an accomplishment and know she's not there represents a tough time, but it's possible to go through it by knowing that you now have a very special guardian angel.

how about Princess Diana mourning her father in 1992 and mourning her Grandmother in 1993 but i think she mourning her father in 1992 and Grandmother both?

Sara Boyce

For me one of the saddest royals is Empress Charlotte of Mexico. She is the daughter of the belgian King Leopold I and she married Archduke Maximilian of Austria.

This ambitious Coburg was not satisfied with her role as one of the many archduchess and most of the times she was outshined by her sister-in-law Sisi, so she encouraged her husband to start the mexican adventure, to accept the imperial crown of Mexico (while his entire family was against it).

When the couple was in Merxico it became clear that the coutnry was very much devided and that most people were against their emperor. A guerilla started and Charlotte went to Europa, to plea for help from the man who send them to Mexico in the first place, emperor Napoleon III of France. I

sorry, the posting went wrong, here is the rest of my text:

In Europe it seemed that everybody abandoned her and nobody wanted to help her cause. In the mean while it became evident that her husband was shot by rebel leader Juarez.

As a consequence of all this Charlotte became mad. In the end, her brother King Leopold II locked her up in a castle in Belgium and he condisquated her money and jewelry for his own cause (the belgian Congo). Her family abandoned her, accept for Queen Marie-Henriette of Belgium (her sister-in-law). Apparently Charlotte was pregnant when her husband was shot, the child was taken away from her and was raised by a french family. The baby would grow up to be the famous french general Weyland, one of the french heros of WWI.

I still think Queen Victoria was the saddest, she was in mourning herwhole adult life (mostly)

Back
Top Bottom