The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-26-2005, 07:20 PM
Serene Highness

Unhappy Saddest/Most miserable Royals

Which royal (past or present) had the saddest or most miserable life? :( Now, I don't mean just a tragically sad death (although that can be a factor), but he/she lived a miserable, lonely, sad life.

Here are my top choices:
Crown Princess Masako of Japan - gave up such a promising career only to be crushed by the Imperial Household Agency
Empress Elisabeth (Sissi) of Austria - tragic life and death hidden behind her great beauty.
Empress/Princess Soraya of Iran - La princesse aux yeux tristes ("the princess with the sad eyes") both of her great love stories ended sadly and tragically. Died in seclusion and loneliness.
The Hesse sisters in Russia:
Elisabeth Feodorovna (Ella), Grand Duchess Sergei - Devoted a homosexual husband only to see him assissinated. Pledged her life to religion and charity, but met a similar end like her husband. Could have prevented WWI and everything that followed if she didn't refuse Kaiser Wilhelm's earlier marriage proposal (but who can blame her)
Alexandra Feodorovna (Alix), last Tsarina of Russia - shunned by the adopted country she was devoted to. A happy family plagued by hemophilia she brought into the family. Unwisely relied on Rasputin for hope, but caused their ultimate grusome demise.

Most miserable royal:
Charles (Carlos) II, last Hapsburg King of Spain - poster child for the dangers of inbreeding. mentally and physically disabled and disfigured. could barely talk, walk, eat, or procreate. "By the last two years of his life, he was virtually helpless: he was completely lame, bald, deaf, nearly toothless, and almost blind; he was also prone to epileptic fits." (wikipedia)

Old 05-27-2005, 09:13 AM
Serene Highness

I would have to say

Empress Marie Federovna (spelling?) The Russian Tsarina. Almost her entire family was murdered in the revolution (1918). Till the day she died she refused to believe they had all been murdered so ruthlessly.

Princess Marie Ceclie of Mountbatten & family (2 sons & hubby) - all perished in a plane crash except for their youngest daughter who was taken in by relatives and later died of Menigitis.

Diana, Princess of Wales - Tragic marraige, tragically died in a car crash just when she was finally closing up all of the royal drama in her life and moving on. She was just finding herself.

Princess Charlotte Augusta of Wales - only daughter of George IV & Caroline of Brunswick, married Prince Leopold. She had 2 miscarraiges and then concieved the third time only to die the day after she delivered a son who also died. Charlotte died of post partum hemorrage and shock. The doctor later committed suicide, he had diagnosed a transverse lie of the baby which was correct but failed to use the forceps. The labour went on for 50 hours. She was only 21.

1. Princess Charlotte

Old 05-27-2005, 10:00 AM
Heir Presumptive

Princess Caroline and Stephanie of Monaco- Their mother killed tragically and both have bad luck with marriages.

Queen Victoria- Her husband died young. In mourning for rest of her life
Old 05-27-2005, 10:26 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Princess Charlotte Augusta of Wales - only daughter of George IV & Caroline of Brunswick, married Prince Leopold. She had 2 miscarraiges and then concieved the third time only to die the day after she delivered a son who also died. Charlotte died of post partum hemorrage and shock. The doctor later committed suicide, he had diagnosed a transverse lie of the baby which was correct but failed to use the forceps. The labour went on for 50 hours. She was only 21.
that has to be the saddest story i have ever heard.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:55 AM
Serene Highness

Prince Leopold never got over her death. After he was elected the first King of the Belgians, he finally remarried (to Louise-Marie d'Orleans), but had a mistress that looked exactly like the late Charlotte! Nevertheless, the royal couple managed to have a family and named only daughter Charlotte, who would become the mad Empress Carlota of Mexico.
source: Joan's Mad Monarchs Series (A great read!) http://www.xs4all.nl/~kvenjb/madmona...rlotte_bio.htm
Old 05-27-2005, 10:56 AM
Aristocracy

Definately, Empress Soraya of Iran and Princess Diana of Wales
Old 05-27-2005, 11:06 AM
Serene Highness

[QUOTE=EmpressRouge]Prince Leopold never got over her death. After he was elected the first King of the Belgians, he finally remarried (to Louise-Marie d'Orleans), but had a mistress that looked exactly like the late Charlotte! Nevertheless, the royal couple managed to have a family and named only daughter Charlotte, who would become the mad Empress Carlota of Mexico.
source: Joan's Mad Monarchs Series (A great read!) http://www.xs4all.nl/~kvenjb/madmonarchs/charlotte/charlotte_bio.htm[/QUOTE]

Yes, Prince Leopold was completly devestated when Princess Charlotte died. He never truly got over her or the death of their child. Their marraige was said to be quite a happy one.

Although very tragic without Princess Charlote's death and the death of her son Queen Victoria would have never reigned.... Imagine how different things would have been. The entire course of history changed!
Old 05-27-2005, 02:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince William and Prince Harry had lost their beloved mother the Princess Diana of Wales when both was 15 and 13 in killed car crash in Paris,France by driver drunk and paparazzi chase by her for images by fooler at Princess Diana for no excuses!

thanks for info,Queen Malka

Sara Boyce
Old 05-27-2005, 10:56 PM
Serene Highness

I agree with Australian: even the princess of monaco havenīt had a miserable life, it wasnīt the best: they lost their mother at a young age and they havenīt got luck with men. But to choose one of them: Caroline, couse she lost her husband , sudden and with 3 litlle kids. And she seem to be so happy and in love with him!!

Pss. Diana was a sad person too.Her husband didnīt love her and dated with other woman.And her children lost her as teens

Masako, even i donīt know almost nothing about her, i feel sad: donīt have boy when you need it must be awful
Old 05-28-2005, 01:39 AM
Heir Presumptive

Very sad stories, I was shocked by the story of Charles II of Spain.

For me Caroline & Stephanie too, they both lost their mom tragically, Caroline became a young widow, looses her father and her husband was in Intensive Care for days, then a bad luck in her first marriage.

Stephanie bad luck on her first marriage, and she was inside the car when the accident happened, not to mention that some people blamed her for the accident, which isn't true because she wasn't driving the car. Then a lot of people have been harsh on her too.
Old 05-29-2005, 11:36 AM
Courtier

Soraya - Truly loved by the Shah, but couldn't produce children (The Shah never got over her either)
Diana - Not truly loved by Charles as he loves Camilla (I also believe she also had alot to do with her problems) I blame Charles definitely more, but he didn't do it by himself.
Melita - Married to a homosexual from Germany - Waited until Q. Victoria died and married her true love from Russia-died devastated because she found out he had a mistress.
Ella - Melita's sister - devoted to a Homosexual
Old 05-29-2005, 02:15 PM
Majesty

for me it is also Princess Caroline. Just take a look a her sad eyes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6carolineR_260x350.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	151664  
Old 05-29-2005, 04:17 PM
Courtier

Princess Diana stands on top of the saddest,a sad childhood,a cheating husband,bulimia,attemping sucide,divorce and worst is the end,to die in a tragic accident when you're only 36,seems that her miseries are still to be continued,the woman between she and her husband has replaced her!
Old 05-29-2005, 05:06 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute_girl
Princess Diana stands on top of the saddest,a sad childhood,a cheating husband,bulimia,attemping sucide,divorce and worst is the end,to die in a tragic accident when you're only 36,seems that her miseries are still to be continued,the woman between she and her husband has replaced her!
Definitly agree. Poor Diana, she had so many troubles in her life:(, she didnīt have much happiness
Old 05-29-2005, 05:10 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbhrc
for me it is also Princess Caroline. Just take a look a her sad eyes.
She looks so sad in that pic
Sadden pics of Caroline::(
graceīs funeral, Stefano funeral and Ranierīs funeral
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6194958[1].jpg
Views:	249
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	151727   Click image for larger version

Name:	carolinemonaco61[1].jpg
Views:	304
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	151728   Click image for larger version

Name:	carolinemonaco359[1].jpg
Views:	1140
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	151729   Click image for larger version

Name:	20[1].jpg
Views:	275
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	151730  

Old 05-29-2005, 05:14 PM
Serene Highness

As she had bad moments she had good ones...:)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cro J.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	151732   Click image for larger version

Name:	0003[1].jpg
Views:	516
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	151733   Click image for larger version

Name:	Proud.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	151734   Click image for larger version

Name:	carolinemonaco63[1].jpg
Views:	365
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	151735  

Name:	1988[1].jpg
Views:	195
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	151736  
Old 05-29-2005, 09:11 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleq
Soraya - Truly loved by the Shah, but couldn't produce children (The Shah never got over her either)
I didn't know that the Shah never got over her. How do you know that?
That's so sad...
To have to live your life apart from your love...cry cry :( sheer torture :(
I know I couldn't do it!
Old 05-29-2005, 09:45 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lashinka2002
I didn't know that the Shah never got over her. How do you know that?
That's so sad...
To have to live your life apart from your love...cry cry :( sheer torture :(
I know I couldn't do it!
In her book, Soraya writes how the Shah had granted her the title of "her Imperial Highness" and was the only royal family member to be granted this title after exilation. Unlike his first wife, Fauzia she had left with the Shah's heart. In some old news reports, rumours had it that the Shah wrote to her or sent her the occasional flowers. Personally, I don't think he did get over her because till his death he still had a photo of her on his desk.
But in a way, they both have reunited in the eternal life. Soraya just passed away in 2002, and the Shah's current and ex wife are still alive.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:00 AM
Heir Presumptive

Both Caroline & Stephanie looked devastated on Rainier's funeral, seeing them made me sadder. It's good to see they're starting to smile again.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Malka
In her book, Soraya writes how the Shah had granted her the title of "her Imperial Highness" and was the only royal family member to be granted this title after exilation. Unlike his first wife, Fauzia she had left with the Shah's heart. In some old news reports, rumours had it that the Shah wrote to her or sent her the occasional flowers. Personally, I don't think he did get over her because till his death he still had a photo of her on his desk.
But in a way, they both have reunited in the eternal life. Soraya just passed away in 2002, and the Shah's current and ex wife are still alive.
I wasn't aware of all this Soraya/Shah information. Soraya had a very sad life because I believe when she fell in love again in the late 60s, I think her partner died in an accident, not sure.

Soraya was the Shah's first love while Farah was also his mature love and the mother of his children and support in the hard moments.