Saddest Royals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Empress Carlotta of Mexico

Marengo said:
Apparently Charlotte was pregnant when her husband was shot, the child was taken away from her and was raised by a french family. The baby would grow up to be the famous french general Weyland, one of the french heros of WWI.
At Miramar where she was kept by the Habsburgs, her doctor gave orders that Charlotte was not to be told of her husband's death. However, the doctor did succeed in curing Charlotte of her obsession of her husband wanting to poison her. By this stage the ex-Empress was quite mad: she would ask why Emperor Maximilian was late for dinner.

There were protracted negotiations between the Emperor of Austria and the King of the Belgians over the private property of Charlotte and Maximilian as the King was determined that the Habsburgs would not get the Coburg inheritance. When the negotiations were completed, Charlotte was taken to Belgium.

It is generally accepted that General Weygand's father was Colonel (later General) Alfred Van der Smissen, a compatriot to whom the Empress turned during the crisis in Mexico.

I was told that this acceptance was not so clear and that the chance that he was the son of Charlotte and Maximilian was higher. Because of the problems it would give (heir to the mexican throne, what about his habsburg titles, mad mother, inheretance which then could not benefit his uncles projects etc etc) it was decided that he was placed by a foster family. But I have it onlky from hear-say, so I stand corrected if you have better sources :)

Anyway, it is certain that he was Charlottes son, he was quite aware of that himself as well.

cute_girl said:
Princess Diana stands on top of the saddest,a sad childhood,a cheating husband,bulimia,attemping sucide,divorce and worst is the end,to die in a tragic accident when you're only 36,seems that her miseries are still to be continued,the woman between she and her husband has replaced her!
I agree.

It's such a shame when terrible things happen to lovely people like Diana.

I absolutely agree with putting Princess Diana on top of the list when it comes to recent Royals, for obvious reasons stated above. I have little tolerance for the current 'Diana bashing' that goes hand in hand with going ga-ga over Prince Charles' second marriage to Camilla Parker-Bowles-Mountbatten-Windsor.

But when it comes to looking back at history, the absolutely fascinating Empress Elisabeth 'Sissi' of Austria tops my list. A highly intelligent though quite neurotic woman and one of the most legendary beauties of her time, she was married off at age 16 to a husband who had little understanding of her, moving from being born a Princess of a poor but loving Bavarian family branch into one of the most affluent but coldest, most anciently protocolled Royal Courts of its time - the Habsburgs.

She was forever controlled by a most domineering mother-in-law who practically took her two first children away from her.

After just a few years of marriage, she desperately tried to gain some independence and tried to stay away from Austria and the Imperial court as much as possible. Interestingly enough, her love for horses & hunting made her a frequent guest of the then Earl Of Spencer at Althorp which of course is Princess Diana's family home!

The suicide of her only son and heir, Prince Rudolf, who shot first his mistress and then himself, was the final straw that threw her into more depression and withdrawal.

She wrote poems that she had sealed in a Swiss vault for decades after her death. She considered Switzerland a safe place as she did believe that a republic like Switzerland would outlive any monarchy. One of her poems describes the Habsburg dynasty as 'Nothing But A Skeleton Of Splendour Gone Long Ago'. She became a total anti-monarchist in later years, dressed strictly in black and hid her face from any photographer as she remained obsessed with her appearance and didn't want her picture taken after her legendary beauty had faded. She succeeded in this.

The worst of all sad ironies ever in any Royal biography: She was finally stabbed to death at age 61 by another anti-monarchist whose opinions she most probably would have shared!

I recommend to everyone her biography 'Elisabeth - Empress against her own will' by Brigitte Hamann. There are many more fascinating though very sad details about the life of Elisabeth, the last but one Empress Of Austria.

Boris said:
The worst of all sad ironies ever in any Royal biography: She was finally stabbed to death at age 61 by another anti-monarchist whose opinions she most probably would have shared!

The assassin's intended target (another royal, Spanish maybe) did not show up at Lake Geneva, so he turned to a second choice, Sisi becz as he said, "I wanted to kill a royalty. It did not matter which one. "Ironically, Sisi had wanted to die painlessly to put her out of her misery. She got her wish. (source: wikipedia)

You're right in detail as I've also read that the assassin's Luigi Lucheni's original target was not the Empress.
But I can't imagine at all why you believe that being stabbed by a small knife that inflicts a wound which wasn't taken too seriously at first, but then resulted in The Empress slowly bleeding to death internally, could ever be labelled a 'painless' death...?!
Therefore, I fear that 'Sisi' didn't get her wish at all. A terrible and senseless end to a fascinating but troubled and sad life.

Boris said:
You're right in detail as I've also read that the assassin's Luigi Lucheni's original target was not the Empress.
But I can't imagine at all why you believe that being stabbed by a small knife that inflicts a wound which wasn't taken too seriously at first, but then resulted in The Empress slowly bleeding to death internally, could ever be labelled a 'painless' death...?!
Therefore, I fear that 'Sisi' didn't get her wish at all. A terrible and senseless end to a fascinating but troubled and sad life.

I've read in several sources that Sisi's death was painless because she never realized what had happened to her. Here's a detailed account of her death from Sissiweb.net (great site w/lots of info):
And so, without the slightest hesitation, he ran toward Elisabeth and brutally stabbed her in the heart. He then rapidly ran away. Elisabeth had fallen on her back, the fall being somewhat lessened by her heavy mass of hair. She quickly sprang up, thanking everybody who came to her rescue in French, English and German. She then continued her way to the steamboat, perfectly unaware that she was mortally wounded. But as the two ladies were embarking on the boat, Elisabeth held tight to the Countess Sztaray before fainting. Still, nobody realized what had happened until the Countess unlaced her dress to discover a tiny blood stain on her corset. Elisabeth had been assassinated! The Countess alerted the captain and revealed Elisabeth's identity. They managed to wake her, but not for long. She didn't understand what had just happened to her and before she could find out, she collapsed again. They brought her back to the Hotel Beau-Rivage where she died peacefully. http://www.sissiweb.net/ew.html

Last edited:
Another sad Story is the one of Sophie Dorothea of Hannover. She lived from 1666 until 1726. She had a happy loving Childhood and was loved and spoiled as an only Child of Georg of Hannover and Eleonore Olbreuse. On November 18 1682 was she forced to marry her Cousin, the future George I of England, then still in Hannover. They didnt like each other but did their Duties and had two Children: George II was born 1683 and daughter Sophie Dorothea 1687. The Future Georg I had many Mistresses and treated his wife bad. In this Situation she fell in Love with the dashing Phillip of Königsmarck and they began writing sweet letters to each other. Mostly sure no more happened between them but unfortunately one letter was caught and shown to her husband. George I was in rage and filed for divorce. Phillip Königsmarck was soon afterwards gone and its for sure that he was murdered. Sophie Dorothea was divorced and put to the cold castle Ahlden wwhere she was held as a prisoner from 1695 until gher death in 1726. She was never allowed to see her children or any member of her family again except her mother who was allowed to vist her only a few times in her prison. Her Husband became 1714 George I of England and brought with him to England his two Mistresses.

I think this a very sad and unfair story.

Here are some Pics:

1. George I of England
2. Phillip von Königsmarck
3. Sophie Dorothea
4. Sophie Dorothea with Children

Attachments

• George I von England 3.jpg
    George I von England 3.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 1,319
  • Phillip von Königsmark 1.jpg
    Phillip von Königsmark 1.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 833
  • Sophie Dorothea 5.jpg
    Sophie Dorothea 5.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 822
  • Sophie Dorothea mit Kindern 4.jpg
    Sophie Dorothea mit Kindern 4.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 857
I think Jane Grey fits here too. She had the most unhappy childhood, was married to a man she did not love. Then her Father in law forced her to take the english crown after Edward VI died so young . She knew it was not her right to do so, but had no choice. She was Queen of England for 9 Days until Mary I won over. Jane spendet the rest of her young Life in Prison and was beheaded at the age of 17.

Attachments

• Jane Grey 11.jpg
    Jane Grey 11.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 771
  • Janes execution 1.jpg
    Janes execution 1.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 709
From 1797 until 1826 lived Leopoldine of Austria. She was one of the many Children of Franz I of austria and his second Wif maria theresia of Neapel. Her Mother died 1807 when Leopoldine was only ten Years old and ten years later she was married to Pedro I of Brasilia and travelled to her very far new home. her husband was cruel slapt and kicked her regurlaly and did not care for her. They had 7 children together but her Live in Brazil was miserable. She sendet many Letters home and begged for Help, for she was scared for her Life. She died lonesome in Brazil at the Age of 29.

Attachments

• leopoldine austria 7.gif
    leopoldine austria 7.gif
    73.5 KB · Views: 610
Oh yes, Jane Grey for sure.
Very sad, even sadder that her blood cousin gave the word to behead her.

i've read a book that said she was pregnant when she was beheaded. and the reason why she was beheaded because he father lead unsuccessful attempt to rescue her and dethrone queen mary. up until her father's interfering, queen mary saw jane as a innocent pawn and was going to release her. but jane's father mess everything up.

I seem to look at this in a different way. I tend to admire people who make the most of a difficult situation. I don't think that there is anything sad about them, maybe about the situation that found themselves in. although I admit that they sometimes had a word in placing themselves in that situation.
A lot of these royals lived in very different and difficult times.

I had heard Mary would have released Jane if Jane had converted for Protestant to Catholisim

Modern day....Princesses Margaret and Caroline. Princess Margaret because if she had been able to marry the Peter Townshend, then maybe her life would have turned out better, without the years of booze, smoking, depression and the times when she threatened to kill herself. Luckily she raised two beatiful and normal children....normal for royalty so it was not a total loss.

Caroline..........well, between her mother, second husband, and father all dying...that would beat me down. but she still comes up smiling and as elegant as ever.

His Lordship said:
Caroline..........well, between her mother, second husband, and father all dying...that would beat me down. but she still comes up smiling and as elegant as ever.

To be fair, Prince Rainier did live a full life before his death, especially in comparison to the tragedy of the lives cut short of Grace and Stefano. Also, Stephanie and Albert also lost their mother. I think that the loss of Grace had the greatest effect on Stephanie, who was not only in the car with her mother when it happened, not to mention being blamed for it for years and years later, but being the youngest she had had the least amount of time with her mother.

I agree with you too Alexandria....a shame though that Stephanie never really seemed to heal from that crash internally. It seems she will keep on fighting those demons.

His Lordship said:

Yes, and I heard she also had a miscarridge, too.

Also sad was Empress Carlota of Mexico(nee Belgium). She loved her husband immensly; after he was killed I think that I read that she still believed that he was alive. I think she died in a sanitarium. Also, I think that I read that her father/family treated her rather badly after her husband died.

I also agree about Princess Margaret. How would her life had turned out if she was allowed to marry Peter Townsend. Yes, she probably would had still been spoiled, but I think she would of had a very happy life.

I see some parallels in Grace and Diana's kids. Caroline and Stephanie and William and Harry all lost their mothers tragically at a young age (even though Caroline was a bit older). Whereas the older kids (Caroline and William) seemed to mature after the tragedy, the younger pair (Stephanie and Harry) went - and still are - on rebellious, wild streaks. The pattern can be found in Queen Elizabeth and Princess Margaret, too. After Queen Elizabeth lost her father suddenly at a young age, she immediately took to her duties seriously; when Margaret was forced to give up Peter Townsend - thus losing the love of her life - she too became rebellious and lived a fast life. Now I don't mean to bash younger silblings or say this is always the case. It's just something I've noticed in these particular instances.

What I do find interesting is that the second child born to a monarch or heir is the one who seems to be the wildest and suffers in their youth:

Prince Albert (King George VI) - stammered, very shy, his father was a tyrant to his sons.

Margaret - lived a bohemian lifestyle.

Harry - Well, enough said.

Andrew - Randy Andy in his youth.

Aamzing the pressure put on the first born.

the 2nd child of Queen Elizabeth II is the Princess Royal, not the Duke of York.

Thank you for the correction.....I seem to always forget about her as she was not necessarily in the limelight at the time when they were all younger except as a dutiful daughter.

There seems to be a lot more sad female royals than male ones. I reckon that's because royal men (and men in general historically) have had more power and liberties to pursue happiness than women.

I'd have to say (H.I.M. Empress Farah Pahlavi) becouse she lost her husbend, mother and her lovely dughter princess Leila pahlavi, also she lives in exile away of her homeland. :(

Thanx EmpressRouge for this topic.

Queen Elizabeth I had a mighty rotten childhood. She was shunned by her father for not being the son he had wanted. Her mother and one of her step-mothers were both executed on her father's orders, her last step-mother died in childbirth. At age 14 she was accused of treason against the crown and her interregators basically drove her to the brink of insanity. At 20, she was again accused of treason and was put in the tower by her own sister.

Marengo said:
the 2nd child of Queen Elizabeth II is the Princess Royal, not the Duke of York.
Yes, but he was the second one in line to the throne, the heir and the spare.

semisquare said:
i've read a book that said she was pregnant when she was beheaded. and the reason why she was beheaded because he father lead unsuccessful attempt to rescue her and dethrone queen mary. up until her father's interfering, queen mary saw jane as a innocent pawn and was going to release her. but jane's father mess everything up.

Yes Queen Mary didn't have in mind to behead Lady Jane, only her (Jane's)Father in law, Lord Dudley, but when they planned to uprise again, even though Mary was Queen, she realized that she had no chice. It doesn't make her compassionate to me, look at all the "heretics" she burnt at the stake, I suppose she also had a hard life, being proclaimed bastard, losing title, mother and so many other things. No wonder she was :mad: so bitter

Back
Top Bottom