How / Why did you get interested in royalty?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Australian said:
What got me interested in royalty? Two words:

Mary Donaldson :) :)

Same here! I became so fascinated with her and all the Danish RF. Then I saw Felipe and Letzia's wedding on TV a week later and had to go and investigate about all these royal families I had never heard of and all these gorgeous princes and beautiful princesses.;)

I've grown up with a monarchy so I think to a certain degree I@ve always been interested in what the various Royals get upto.

a while ago I was surfing on my computer, when I got a little bored; I started typing words in; at the google searchmachine, images by the way. and then I found out that you get a lot of nice pictures, so typed the word: "maxima" . and of course a lot of nice pictures apeared on the screen... :) and I really liked watching her and all her different clothes. so I was wondering if there where any nice sites about maxima and other princesses.. and there wore! so then it really became my hobby! and not long after that I discovered this forum (yes yes!! :D)
that is how it went, last spring.

In 2000 i found an old magazine at home with Princess Caroline's photos from the time(1996/1997)she was suffering from alopekia(she had lost her hair:( ).After that i kept searching on Internet info and photos about her life and as i was reading for her marriages i saw some pictures of her children.Then in 2003 i joined the four Modern Jet Set groups and i was happy and glad to find all these photos of the trio there.From all the royal famillies i'm interested only for the Grimaldis and even more for the Casiraghi Trio,especially for Charlotte and Pierre.I found The Royal Forums last November and i became member last December.That's my story:) ;)

From my mother. She had books on the British Royal Family-ie books Charles and Anne as tiny children and we sort of grew up with them.I really got interested when Charles was dating or courting Diana and now I am interested in what they all do- ie Denmark, Spain, Monaco, etc.:)

it first started with prince charles and lady di and then i lost interest after her death. then reintrested when spain had their royal wedding and prince alberts son was announce to the world and so i have been hooked every since.

It was when i saw the wedding of Felipe and Letizia... and i get interested in royalty...
I thought (and i still think) that royalty and we (people who don't belong to royalty) live in different reality. Because they have a lot of privileges and they are totally different from us!
They have a kind of life fascinating! They are recognized by most of people and some of them deserve it!
But of course that there is some bad things... like paparazzi! I think that is bad because they can't have a bit of privacy!
But everything has good things and bad things and we have to live with them! ;)
And then, when the wedding finished i wanted to know more about they!

Glistening Seas

:D :) Royalty was something i knew nothing about. actually the only royalty i was really aware of was Monaco and Great Britain (of course) so my interest in the history and politics of this is amazing. So, since i was so unfamiliar with the backgrounds i wanted to learn more. once i came to trf this site is such a treasure trove of information i'd say it's almost contageous:eek:

My grandfather worked by the Belgian royal family and he told me a lot about them. I really became interested when prince Filip married Mathilde d'Udekem d'Acoz. Later I became more interested in foreign royal families.

I got a book about the royal families of the world for my birthday a couple of years ago, I read it and then I forgot about it. I was cleaning my closet one day when I saw the book again and got interested. I joined TRF a few months ago, and it's been great. I've learned alot about royalty, plus you make sooooo many friends. :)

I've always been a history nerd, and I've read a lot of books and watched a lot of TV shows about royals of the past, especially our Swedish ones. But it wasn't until not too many months ago, that my interest in royals really grew big enough for me to join a forum about them. I think it was because I borrowed a book about all our Swedish royals since the time of king Gustav I, or as we usually call him, Gustav Vasa, in the 16th century. But other royals, especially other European ones, are interesting too. It's so interesting to see how the royal houses intermarried. All the royals of Europe are related to each other somehow, it seems. I mean, that our Swedish king Carl XVI Gustaf and the Danish queen Margarethe II are first cousins and that Carl Gustaf and Margarethe are third cousins of the Brittish queen Elizabeth II is mind-blowing! However, the current majesties and highnesses have to excuse me, but I still find their ancestors a lot more interesting. I never read about the royals in the tabloids or anything, my love for Michael Jackson (Now, that's also a royal! He IS the king of pop!:D ) has forever made me hate those magazines, and you won't even see me around the current events thread on this forum. You are much more likely to find me in threads in this board, the Royal Chit Chat board or in threads about historical royalty.

My friends in college always called me the Swedish Princess, so I decided to find out about the REAL Swedish Princesses. That led me to look for more royals, since the only ones we don't have to SEEK OUT in the US are the English royals. Ever since then, I've been hooked! My younger sister Anneke is a DEAD RINGER for Princess Madeleine!!

When I was extremely bored, I would search for Prince William and Prince Harry on the internet. They were the only royal family I knew existed. I heard my mom mention Grace Kelly once or twice but it she was past my generation and I never really looked into it. So one of these boring days, I search for William and came across this article that said William should marry Princess Madeleine of Sweden. There was a very pretty picture of her and I was like Sweden has a royal family?! Then I searched for her, found this forum, and the rest is history! I guess that's why I have a soft spot for Madeleine, she's the first non-British royal I ever found out about! :)

Last edited:
i've been following royalty (their genealogy and lineage in particular) ever since i got a better understanding of our country's history (the Philippines being a former Spanish colony). being the nerd that i am (ha ha!;) ) i was aware of the different royal families in the world, looking them up and studying about them every now and then.

my interest was renewed when i saw Queen Noor's book at my fave bookstore. i got intrigued, saw the pics in the book, and bought the book. :D i've since followed Jordan, their royal family, Islam and the Middle East's news/history and affairs ever since.

my interest in the Spanish Royal Family also got renewed when i enrolled in Instituto Cervantes. i became particularly interested in Princess Letizia mainly because she was a former journalist--i watch the news all the time :p, and i was aspiring to become a journalist of sorts as well.

It began in about 1965.....

when I was five years old. My Mum (who died in 1984) was a fan of Yellow press. In Germany you can rent yellow press in a "Lesezirkel". That means you have the magazines for one week and then give it back and get another package with the actual ones.
In the sixties Queen Sirikit and Queen Anne-Marie were the most popular Queens. And until today the Greek royal family is my favourite. Specially since I found out in 1996 that Alexia finally got a boyfriend (now her husband). Since 1996 I buy HOLA magazine or go to it´s website.

I have to say that it was Lady Diana who really captured my imagination as a child and drew me into a fascination with the British Royal Family. Boy, do I miss her:(.

Why are we so interested?

I've been watching the royals (of all nations but particularly northern Europe) since I saw the royal wedding of Charles and Diana in 1981. In 1981, mind you, I was still wearing pigtails. Something captured my imagination and interest. Then I kept reading about English and European history until I had to start wearing classes.

So here's my question: Why are you so interested in the royals? Why are you a royal watcher?

I'm not sure why... is just a kind of fascination, is almost a celebrity cult...

For me it's a kind of fairytale happening...something that is a rare in most enviroments. I like the dresses, the galas, the jewels...I can't explain it, but I'm sure it has something to do with our fathers calling us "Princess," and being a girl.

im interested because their history and family lineage amazes me. you see these royals walking around just like regular people when some of them are descended from Marie-Antoinette or Isabella of Spain. i dont know if im accurate but im just very impressed with their blood lines.They may not be closely related but their lineage goes back in time. like letizia, she is supposed to be the first non royal princess of asturias, right?

I started because of prince William and after then I came to the forums and I found a lot of another royal people, which are good example of fashion style, jewelry or personality. After all today I go here every day and I really enjoy every royal family, not only that one... I'm massive royal fan :D

I started being interested in royalty since I watched the royal wedding of Carl XVI Gustav and Silvia Sommerlath in June 1976.

The history aspect is what does it for me. I like the continuity of it all - and as I'm fascinated by odd pieces of trivia, it is an interesting hobby to have.

I can't remember when I wasn't interested in royalty, to put it like that.

I became interested in Royalty ever since I remember myself, ever since I read my first book. But it wasn't Royalty I was interested in in the first place. It was history. I was mooving from ancient times (Egypt, Ancient Greece, Babylon, Assyria, China, Japan, Armenia, Ancient Rome...) to Medieval ages and the modern times. The ancient and medieval histories are largely connected with the Monarchs and their deceisons, so I got interested in Ancient Monarchies and then again moved ahead up to recent times and recent monarchies. Then I became interested in current news, watched marriages, cried joyfully during the birth of the Royal kids...
I am a devoted Royal Watcher, though like norwegianne, it's history aspect that fascinates me.
btw, a very goof thread! Nice to know how it all started for different people.

I like the beautiful dresses best. It's also interesting to see how the new princesses are coping, it makes you think about how you would do in their place.

I get interested in royalty when i saw the Princes of Asturias' wedding, because they have a different life, they live in a different reality.
I can't find out a reason, i mean, i think that is one of the reasons that i'm interested, but it's hard to explain.
Maybe i'm interested because i've never be a royal, as i said before, it's a different life. They can live like us (normal people): go to cinema, catch a bus, whatever, but i cannot live and be like them: be called by Highness or Majesty, use great tiaras, and those things...

When i think in gala dinners, big dresses, tiaras, i lose the sense of reality. :eek: It's like a dream or something.
Of course, their lifes have disadvantages: like paparazzi, etc, etc.

So, maybe i'm interested in royalty because of their lifes and their history. In what they do and all they see life.

P.S. we have a different hobby :p ;)

I can escape my ordinary life and live vicariously through royals for a while. There's also a romantic ideal about finding your prince and living happily ever after. Truth is, reality comes through and the ideal is never attained. We as,an audience, get to witness scandals and infidelities and soon realize royals are people similar to us.

i became interested ever since Princess Mary got married. It was weird, i started looking up info and pictures of her on the net and i would occasionally buy magazines when she is on the cover(though i don't do that anymore) and then i gradually looked for info on other royals from around the world.

I got interested in the Royal Families from around the world, when I seen pictures in the Hello Magazines of a celebration of a birthday, it must have been in the late 80's early 90's.

Back
Top Bottom