Princess Marie's Fashion and Style Part 1: June 2007 - September 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The material is very strange and stiff-looking. I really don't like the shape of the hat. This outfit is just wrong for her.

I think the hat would have looked fine on her, if she had gone for the Katharine Hepburn-style with trousers for the suit making the proportions seem longer. As it is, it looks a bit odd with the rest of the suit. (not to mention the colour).

July 7 - P.Marie in casual outfit, a pair of jeans and a yop with pretty detailing
Full View -- Close Up
(posted originally by Paty)

Thank you dazzling, beautiful relaxed picture. Marie looks beautiful.
Perhaps she has it right with her clothes. She is not a movie star and she does not need to dress like one. If she accepts her role as a gentleman farmer's wife she should dress as one. I like her more and more.

I would define Princess Marie's casual outfit as very American. Well, I might be wrong. Jeans and an embellished tunic top could be a new definition of the French chic. Overall, the outfit looked nice on Princess Marie.

Last edited:
I would define Princess Marie's casual outfit as very American. Well, I might be wrong. Jeans and an embellished tunic top could be a new definition of the French chic. Overall, the outfit looked nice on Princess Mary.
Don't you mean Princess Marie??!!:lol:

Sorry...:blush::blush: the misprint has been corrected...

July 7 - P.Marie in casual outfit, a pair of jeans and a yop with pretty detailing
Full View -- Close Up
(posted originally by Paty)

I think this outfit looks great on her. The jeans are a good cut for her (she looks like she would be a petite person), and the top is casual, yet chic. When Marie dresses casually, she looks great. Now, if only I could say that about her more formal outfits (i.e.-her suits and some of the dresses that she has worn).

That blue dress is Marie's best work to date and as for the shoes, I think you are onto something, LadyS...and here I was thinking they were some clunky comfy looking HomyPeds or something and they are Prada no less...I think that is the style now...chunky heel and rounded toe making all Mary's spike heeled, pointy toe shoes look so old school ;) Go Marie!!!

I keep watching for someone to show up on those C Louboutin/Carrie and Sex and the City monstrosities one of these days. Thank God neither one of them is going anywhere near them.

Marie's "Tin Man" suit proves at least one thing: there is life out on Mars and the aliens are definitely coming:lol::lol::lol: Good lord, what an absolutely horrible ensemble. The cocktail dress was okay I guess, but that galagown looked like something from H&M. And those black peeptoe shoes and the black scarf. Get some lessons dear!! Alexandra and Mary got it right from day 1, why can't she??

I think the best way for Marie to be dress is with a pair of jeans a nd a tunic burka like that!

Yes, she does have quite a collection of those tunic things, doesn't she?

The tunic things look good on her. She seems comfortable, yet chic when she wears them.

That pale blue fabric does not look good, especially besides her sister in law impeccable outfit

That pale blue fabric does not look good, especially besides her sister in law impeccable outfit

I was about to say, putting her next to Mary makes what she's wearing look even worse. The suit looks like it needs the fabric steamer taken to it. It's wrinkled and the jacket looks ill-fitting.

Marie is a beautiful woman no doubt, but whoever is responsible for styling her for events needs to remember that she's more than likely going to be standing next to Mary if the whole family is there. So she needs to not look like the "country cousin" come to see the family in the big city.

Shoot me if you wish, but I think that Marie did quite well at the Gala and dinner ceremony, yes she flopped at the parade, but the other 2 times, she was unpretentious, and her dazzling smile makes up for all!

Last edited:
Yes, her smile is lovely. Still, she must have known where she was getting herself into and should have been prepared and that is something she clearly is not.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/lotte52/drws2/08iv/mary-marie-2a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/lotte52/drws2/08iv/mary-marie-4a.jpg

Marie is trying bless her heart but the suit and hat are all wrong. The suit is not flattering and the material looks cheap. (Reminds me of a suit Marie wore.) The brim on the hat is too narrow and her hair doesn't look like it's done underneath. I think she just needs a bit more polishing and she will get there. :flowers:

I think we beat up on that dress and hat enough. Are there any more recent photos?
BTW I feel that if Marie tries to best Mary she will be wasting her time. If she tries to show her own beauty her own personality and her own standing within the DRF she will shine every time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we beat up on that dress and hat enough. Are there any more recent photos?
BTW I feel that if Marie tries to best Mary she will be wasting her time. If she tries to show her own beauty her own personality and her own standing within the DRF she will shine every time.
Yes, esp as Marie has a really good starting point, better than most of the married into princesses.

Actually I posted this in another thread and it was moved here so I missed the other comments.

Anyway, it's not about besting Mary. It's about being her best. Mary was spot on from Day 1. Even before the wedding. But I think Mary is a perfectionist. ;)

They each have totally different backgrounds and wildly different futures. Perhaps Marie is at her best. We may not always applaud her choices but perhaps she has found her style and likes what she sees.
I always felt that comparing Marie with Mary or Alexandra is unfair to all three of them.

They each have totally different backgrounds and wildly different futures. Perhaps Marie is at her best. We may not always applaud her choices but perhaps she has found her style and likes what she sees.
I always felt that comparing Marie with Mary or Alexandra is unfair to all three of them.

I totally agree with you Odette. Some people here always blame Marie to be different from Mary. Marie is not Mary. She's another person with her own style. I like her. She's so different!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/lotte52/drws2/08iv/mary-marie-2a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/lotte52/drws2/08iv/mary-marie-4a.jpg

Marie is trying bless her heart but the suit and hat are all wrong. The suit is not flattering and the material looks cheap. (Reminds me of a suit Marie wore.) The brim on the hat is too narrow and her hair doesn't look like it's done underneath. I think she just needs a bit more polishing and she will get there. :flowers:

From Danish Royal Watchers

I finde Marie very beautyful and her suit was perfect for the event. A lot more fitting then Mary's as the weather that day was rather cold.

I think that from the engagement on, Mary had tons of professional help.
At the engagemnt she was so carefully dressed, coiffed, etc. - she almost looked like she would shatter if dropped because she looked so perfect.
Right before the wedding during all of the official events, she looked immpecable - every outfit, accessory, hairdo, etc. looked as if a great deal of planning was put into the preparation ... and even then, she was constantly being compared to Alexandra.
Marie needs professional help to guide her (and I emphasize "guide").
Not someone to imprint her own style on Marie, but someone to assist Marie in selcecting the best colors, cut, fit and style for her ... letting Marie still be herself but better groomed, dressed and accessorized.

i actually quite liked that outfit on marie. i thought it looked lovely and appropriate for the ocassion. oh, and the shoes are lovely!

Fashion is such a subjective issue. I just looked through W magazine with the upcoming fall season fashions and made a silent prayer that none of the royals get caught wearing half of those designs.
Having said that, style, never gets old. What I may find a very stylish outfit for me someone else would not get caught dead in it........
Marie will be a gentleman farmer's wife with occasional appearances at big events, Mary will always be front and center and future Queen. I love them both for their individual choices. Vive la difference!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think that from the engagement on, Mary had tons of professional help.
At the engagemnt she was so carefully dressed, coiffed, etc. - she almost looked like she would shatter if dropped because she looked so perfect.
Right before the wedding during all of the official events, she looked immpecable - every outfit, accessory, hairdo, etc. looked as if a great deal of planning was put into the preparation ... and even then, she was constantly being compared to Alexandra.
Marie needs professional help to guide her (and I emphasize "guide").
Not someone to imprint her own style on Marie, but someone to assist Marie in selcecting the best colors, cut, fit and style for her ... letting Marie still be herself but better groomed, dressed and accessorized.
I agree with what you are saying, add to the fact that Mary had (and maybe still has) the need to prove to everyone that she can do the job. Whilst Marie: A)will (hopefully)never have to be in the position of Queen in waiting.
B)Does come from a more uppercrust home and background, and besides the fact that she gets to wear more occasionally a gown and tiara, won't be really changing her lifestyle, and has less to prove, even though she is more in the limelight.

But if she comes from an "uppercrust" background, then she should know better, shouldn't she?? I mean, I don't care if she dresses "understated", but at least it should be properly fitted (not like the "TinMan"suit) or looking if she bought it at H&M's (the purple galagown).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom