Meghan Markle's Fashion and Style Part 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there was a blues/purple memo.

Meghan did fine on an evening when another person was supposed to be in the spotlight.

There are times where the family coordinates apparel. And covers up. This was one such.

gorgeous dress i love it
jacket is the same she wore couple of days ago?

I think Meghan, future Princess Henry should dress more traditional, more '80s wear.

She would look well in those '80s clothes.

I think Meghan, future Princess Henry should dress more traditional, more '80s wear.

She would look well in those '80s clothes.

80's wear :eek: Yikes, please no. Leave the 80's where they belong.

The future duchess should stick to her own style.

Last edited:
The queen's birthday concert has just started. Meghan is in a navy blue cape dress:

Queen marks her 92nd birthday with gun salutes in central London | Daily Mail Online

My quibble is the shade of blue for the dress and shoes don't match.

That's only because the pictures were taken with a flash - which causes the lighter nap of the suede to be more prominent. In real life, the shoes probably match well.

We just need to see a shot without the flash - though it's not likely as the pics were taken at night.

Last edited:
Meghan finally looks as future duchess. Love the cape dress.

I'm just not sure what I think about this cape dress. I love the color...but it needs something..it's like she's swallowed in blue. Belted waist? Long neclace?

Something.

Love the shoes and the bag and the earring...but I need something to bring more shape or something to the dress...haven't figured it out yet.

LaRae

Awww I thought this look was perfect and sleek. A belt might have been okay - an extremely thin one - but it also might have destroyed the elegant lines of her dress. The cape is a thin, slender cape and the dress as well.

I loved this outfit.

I'm not mad when Meghan chooses to wear her favorite neutral shades - she looks gorgeous in them.

I think Meghan's comfort zone is a minimalist architectural style in neutrals. I think she does color sparingly and as something "special" but not the norm.

I think she could have done a statement necklace - but that would have dated the look a bit. The way she wore it is perfectly now, with minimal jewelry. 5 years ago a statement necklace would have been fresh. Now it's pedestrian.

BUT - if Meghan can find some jewelers who do a more architectural and minimal style, she might do those - she just doesn't seem the type to go for blingy stuff.

This is a joke, right?

:lol:

I really and truly hope so... unless they mean the reinvented 80s style that's being reinterpreted in a more modern way. Like the Valentino rockstud collection. No? ?

She rocked that cape though. I'm so excited to see her in a CAPE!!!

The future duchess should stick to her own style. We don't need two 'traditional/I shopped in grandma's closet) Duchesses. :flowers:

Yes Lawd. Please, please don't let Meghan devolve into looking like she shops in her grandmother's trunk of clothes from the 80s.

I don't mind subtle homages to 80s style and maybe even homages to Diana - but please no on the traditional dress.

Where did that even come from?

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol:

I really and truly hope so... unless they mean the reinvented 80s style that's being reinterpreted in a more modern way. Like the Valentino rockstud collection. No? ?

She rocked that cape though. I'm so excited to see her in a CAPE!!!

Oh I can see the headlines now. "Meghan Raids Diana's Closet". Nope, the 80s stuff belong in storage somewhere deep, dark and forgotten.

I think Meghan looked great. Nothing remotely flashy to detract from the Woman of Honor and central focus of the concert. I like her minimalistic styles.

Awww I thought this look was perfect and sleek. A belt might have been okay - an extremely thin one - but it also might have destroyed the elegant lines of her dress. The cape is a thin, slender cape and the dress as well.

I loved this outfit.

I'm not mad when Meghan chooses to wear her favorite neutral shades - she looks gorgeous in them.

I think Meghan's comfort zone is a minimalist architectural style in neutrals. I think she does color sparingly and as something "special" but not the norm.

I think she could have done a statement necklace - but that would have dated the look a bit. The way she wore it is perfectly now, with minimal jewelry. 5 years ago a statement necklace would have been fresh. Now it's pedestrian.

BUT - if Meghan can find some jewelers who do a more architectural and minimal style, she might do those - she just doesn't seem the type to go for blingy stuff.

I was thinking very thin black (or gold I guess) belt. Just something for definition. If the cape had been soft and flowing and not poncho round it would of worked for me.

I think the color is great and I think the color was coordinated again as we saw at the Commonwealth Services.

(..)

Yes Lawd. Please, please don't let Meghan devolve into looking like she shops in her grandmother's trunk of clothes from the 80s.

I don't mind subtle homages to 80s style and maybe even homages to Diana - but please no on the traditional dress.

Where did that even come from?

Sorry but no homage to Diana in clothes please. I know she was stylish in the decade she was in. But you can tell, looking at the outfits, what decade they were.

Now if Meghan were to wear some of her jewelry from time to time :flowers:

There are some time periods where a retro/vintage inspiration is fantastic. The 80's is definitely not that time period. 80's would at least look like she was shopping in her mother's and not grandmother's closet :lol:

I really do hope the OP who suggested going back to the 80s was kidding ?

The vintage/traditional look suits some. We already have one duchess for that. Meghan has a more clean/modern asthetic and nothing wrong with that. Looking at women like Letizia and Charlene (well at their better looks) you can go modern/skeek and still look regal.

(..)
It was elegant and OK. Job well done.

Sorry but no homage to Diana in clothes please. I know she was stylish in the decade she was in. But you can tell, looking at the outfits, what decade they were.

Now if Meghan were to wear some of her jewelry from time to time :flowers:

There are some time periods where a retro/vintage inspiration is fantastic. The 80's is definitely not that time period. 80's would at least look like she was shopping in her mother's and not grandmother's closet :lol:

I really do hope the OP who suggested going back to the 80s was kidding ?

The vintage/traditional look suits some. We already have one duchess for that. Meghan has a more clean/modern asthetic and nothing wrong with that. Looking at women like Letizia and Charlene (well at their better looks) you can go modern/skeek and still look regal.

The 80s have been everywhere for the last few years. Valentino's Rockstud collection is based on 80s punk and look great.

She could easily incorporate 80s touches without it looking off - anything with stud embellishment would be that influence. Even her mismatched earrings is from an 80s influence.

Also - the jacket she wore draped over her shoulders is an 80s silhouette - just modernized.

So I'm gonna disagree that 80s can't still be minimal. Especially early 80s, which was still heavily influenced by 70s minimalist style. The cape Meghan is wearing is a more minimal version of the 70s cape - that was still popular (but more streamlined) in the 80s.

I think we will see a lot of clean, architectural looks from Meghan where the royal jewelry complements the bold lines rather than seeing her wearing blingy jewelry with fussy outfits. For example - I can't see her wearing a flowy, pleated dress like the Self Portrait one with full on blingy royal jewels.

I can see her wearing this look again later with royal jewels - maybe just earrings?

I think we will see a lot of clean, architectural looks from Meghan where the royal jewelry complements the bold lines rather than seeing her wearing blingy jewelry with fussy outfits. For example - I can't see her wearing a flowy, pleated dress like the Self Portrait one with full on blingy royal jewels.

I can see her wearing this look again later with royal jewels - maybe just earrings?

Of course she wouldn't go blingy for something like the SP dress...the print and color does the heavy lifting...smaller subtle jewelry for that, like the Versace earrings she had on...although would of loved to see a delicate gold necklace around her neck.

That dress tonight could of handled some detail. She doesn't have to be Queen Mary (those days are long gone thankfully) but a nice statement piece (or earrings! Heck bring out those lovely earrings she had on for the Queen's luncheon back at Christmas, would of looked great and I don't care how pedestrian it is...folks like to see that fabulous statement piece jewelry come out at these events.

LaRae

Of course she wouldn't go blingy for something like the SP dress...the print and color does the heavy lifting...smaller subtle jewelry for that, like the Versace earrings she had on...although would of loved to see a delicate gold necklace around her neck.

That dress tonight could of handled some detail. She doesn't have to be Queen Mary (those days are long gone thankfully) but a nice statement piece (or earrings! Heck bring out those lovely earrings she had on for the Queen's luncheon back at Christmas, would of looked great and I don't care how pedestrian it is...folks like to see that fabulous statement piece jewelry come out at these events.

LaRae

Well that's not statement jewelry - those earrings she wore at Christmas. I'm talking about statement necklaces - you know - those huge bib necklaces dripping with crystals and pearls, etc.. that everyone was wearing with everything from t shirts to dresses about 5 years back... complete with a stack of bracelets too - arm candy.

She could have worn those earrings tonight and I think it would have looked fine. But she looked good to me even without that.

Meghan's cape is beautiful. A lot of royals seem to be wearing navy blue tonight.

I mentioned chandelier earrings earlier as well. I think a belt and statement necklace would actually take away from the neckline and the silhouette of the dress.

The individual [from the 'Royal' past'] whose sartorial tastes best echo Ms Markle's is [it seems to me] HG the Duchess of Windsor. Her choices were often of the severest architectural simplicity, with sleek lines and unfussy detailing.
She knew the value of careful use of EXCEPTIONAL Jewels in making this style 'work', and I hope that [as she becomes accustomed to her role and the jewellery options now available to her], Ms Markle will realise the value of it too [albeit in an updated manner].

Last edited:
Well that's not statement jewelry - those earrings she wore at Christmas. I'm talking about statement necklaces - you know - those huge bib necklaces dripping with crystals and pearls, etc.. that everyone was wearing with everything from t shirts to dresses about 5 years back... complete with a stack of bracelets too - arm candy.

She could have worn those earrings tonight and I think it would have looked fine. But she looked good to me even without that.

No but those earrings would of been a nice pop until she does a statement piece. I posted a link to one of those a couple posts ago!

LaRae

Meghan's cape is beautiful. A lot of royals seem to be wearing navy blue tonight.

Most likely coordinated on purpose like we saw at the Commonwealth services.

LaRae

The individual [from the 'Royal' past'] whose sartorial tastes best echo Ms Markle's is [it seems to me] HG the Duchess of Windsor. Her choices were often of the severest architectural simplicity, with sleek lines and unfussy detailing.
She knew the value of careful use of EXCEPTIONAL Jewels in making this style 'work', and I hope that [as she becomes accustomed to her role and the jewellery options now available to her], Ms Markle will realise the value of it too [albeit in an updated manner].

I hadn't thought of this...but yes similar taste in their style. However some of the DoW jewelry was just too deco for me ..a little of that goes a long way.

LaRae

Brilliant observation....hadn’t thought or realized this. Thank you!

The queen's birthday concert has just started. Meghan is in a navy blue cape dress:
Queen marks her 92nd birthday with gun salutes in central London | Daily Mail Online

Great look for Meghan! :flowers: Super chic!

I think there was a blues/purple memo.

I agree. :flowers: The BRF has started doing that. I never noticed before. Swedish RF does it.

Meghan did fine on an evening when another person was supposed to be in the spotlight. There are times where the family coordinates apparel. And covers up. This was one such.

Exactly how I see it, too. :flowers: Were Meghan to have worn bling it just would have had a 'look-at-me' gesture and we are clearly not going to see that from her.

I believe it would have. It was fine as she wore it. Very sleek.

Agree. :flowers:

Great points. Agree 100%. :flowers: Jewelry would have been ott. It was as impressive as it was because it was minimalist.

I like the dress, and I like the shoes (which I suspect look a lot closer in color to the dress IRL). Meghan does this kind of dressing very well. It does seem almost too minimalist, edging on boring, but maybe that's what she was going for. It's a fine line between being minimalist and looking unfinished, and for me this look is just slightly on the wrong side of the line.

The future duchess should stick to her own style.
QFT

Meghan's blue dress looks fine and doesn't need any broach or jewelry. It's too commonplace for a lady to wear something nice and elegant and it's ruined by senseless calls for jewelery. Maybe Meghan is not a fan of it besides her rings. Considering the disappointment she has been in the past I say give praise where praise is due.

Last edited:
Cape, CAPE:eek:. I like this. IIRC Letizia and Mathilde and Maxima wore something similar before, which I also love it. It is simple but not boring at all. She doesn't need bling bling jewelry tonight - leave it for the birthday girl! (I don't see other ladies wear big jewelry too) These statement jewelry probably may ruin the simplicity design of the dress and her usual minimalist style actually is quite suitable for it.

I think she was very wise to refrain from any jewellery that would have drawn attention away from the elegant structure of the cape dress. It will be interesting to see how she manages the wearing of royal jewels in the future.

I like the dress, and I like the shoes (which I suspect look a lot closer in color to the dress IRL). Meghan does this kind of dressing very well. It does seem almost too minimalist, edging on boring, but maybe that's what she was going for. It's a fine line between being minimalist and looking unfinished, and for me this look is just slightly on the wrong side of the line.

I'm going to stand on an island and say this dress did nothing for me. The cape wasn't enough to make it interesting or inspired so I'd say boring is pretty accurate. I thought Sophie's jumpsuit was more interesting though I think the building would've come crashing down if Meghan had worn that. While I didn't personally love the sleeves and ruffles on the green dress from this morning, I still thought it was an attractive look. This just felt like a big heavy poncho-style swath of material. Maybe some detailing or jewelry to draw the eye would've saved it but it just felt meh. If not for the acorn hat, this would be my least favorite Meghan look. It's definitely a close second.

The bag was a winner. Maybe more gold accents...clearly I'm reaching. If there was a color dress code clearly a few ladies didn't get the memo, most notably Anne who wore silver which makes me think there wasn't a memo after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom