The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 02:01 PM
Gentry

Meghan looked beautiful! Most importantly, she is a powerful defender of women's rights. I loved her fearlessness. She definitely was not afraid to stand with women! I adore her! Meghan is not a 1950's housewife; she's worked hard and paid her own way. I can relate because I've had to do the same. Her clothes will never be the star; she has too many important things to do and say. She wants to make a difference.

Old 02-28-2018, 02:13 PM
Majesty

I don't get how the dress is 2 sizes too big...it's not skin tight but it looks well fitted in the stills and video I've seen.

Seasonal dressing? Is there some rule that women must dress a certain way in a certain month? Are we back to you can't wear white after X month?

If the woman wants to wear a sleeveless dress in Feb ..who cares?

Myself tend to wear lighter materials year round. I stay warm. You are never going to find me wearing a sweatshirt even when it's 10 degrees outside.

LaRae

Old 02-28-2018, 02:16 PM
Courtier

Well, I saw above someone referring to British newscasters also wearing sleeveless dresses in the dead of winter so maybe, jacqui24, you're right, it's not an American thing anymore...! However, only in the US, I've had difficulties explaining salespersons the difference between wool and cotton, explaining friends what a "closet's change-of-season" is, etc.! But maybe it has to do more with the fact that now we're all air-conditioned in our cars, in stores, etc.!
The dress itself is probably not meant to be tailored (a good view here https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/jason-w...FiSJ_oyYqHs5iQ) but it's odd. I'd love to see a view of Miss Markle standing but I haven't found one. The dress (without epaulettes) is not in stores so it looks like she may have borrowed it directly from Wu's showroom which would explain why (always in my opinion...!) it does not fit too well.

Although I rarely like their choices, I really don't think Beatrice and Eugenie choose their outfits to make themselves "look silly" like you're implying. I think they just don't have a good sense of style but think they look good. Well, I have seen MM wearing better outfits but I still don't like her style. And for me, style also means, hair, posture, and jewelry choices. It will be interesting to see if and how she evolves.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:18 PM
Courtier

Going to chance a comment despite the inevitable backlash (most often followed by the ever-present accusations), but there's just something about what she wears that makes her seem a bit, unapproachable maybe? Not sure how to quite put it into words but when I look at her I still see 'celebrity'. When I look at Kate I don't see that and never really did, but I suppose there's time for that.

I like Meghan, I've been a Suits fan for years but this is all quite Rachel Zane still.

A bit of colour other than navy, black, grey or beige would be nice though.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Not a fan of the dress it does look to me unsuitable summer dress in winter etc But I think she will wear what she likes if it’s suitable or not.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:25 PM
Majesty

In every outfit and appearance Meghan has made she comes across to me as an actress playing a royal rather than a royal in her own right.

It’s like she still partially lives in a celebrity world. A little gravitas would go a long way.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
If the woman wants to wear a sleeveless dress in Feb ..who cares?

LaRae
With all due respect, If you don't care what women wear then, maybe, you're in the wrong thread...

No, seriously, there must be a limit, right? I don't particularly "CARE" if a woman wants to wear a bikini in January on the street, but, am I allowed to say that she looks silly? I've seen 20 year-old wearing flip-flops in the snow, their feet red and swollen, am I allowed to teach my children not to do that or they will get a cold? Or shall I just day: "Look! A fearless young man walking in flip-flops in the snow! Good for him!"

Also, what's wrong with 1950s women??
Old 02-28-2018, 02:28 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
Not a fan of the dress it does look to me unsuitable summer dress in winter etc But I think she will wear what she likes if it’s suitable or not.
Good for her. It's 2018! Meghan is passionate about the issues. Style over substance is over!
Old 02-28-2018, 02:30 PM
Majesty

I've not gotten any sense of actress or role playing when I've seen her...she's still finding her feet and I think nerves get to her at times... I sometimes wish she had more umph in her clothing but I haven't found anything to be inappropriate.

LaRae
Old 02-28-2018, 02:32 PM
Courtier

I love this, the oversized coats and trousers had me snoring, but I do really like this look. I think it's going to take people getting used to Meghan's style sense, and I'm sure we'll see changes and some form of conformity or change/growth.

Be a good person.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:33 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette2 View Post
With all due respect, If you don't care what women wear then, maybe, you're in the wrong thread...

No, seriously, there must be a limit, right? I don't particularly "CARE" if a woman wants to wear a bikini in January on the street, but, am I allowed to say that she looks silly? I've seen 20 year-old wearing flip-flops in the snow, their feet red and swollen, am I allowed to teach my children not to do that or they will get a cold? Or shall I just day: "Look! A fearless young man walking in flip-flops in the snow! Good for him!"

Ummm I never said I don't care....I said who cares if a woman wants to wear sleeveless in winter...big difference in those statements.

There is a difference than someone wearing a bikini in Jan walking down the street than a woman wearing no sleeves INSIDE at a function. The same applies to your flip flop comment. We aren't talking about children who need guidance but a grown woman who can decide if she wants to wear sleeves or not.

I have no idea what you are talking about with 1950's women.....because I didn't say anything about them.

LaRae
Old 02-28-2018, 02:39 PM
Gentry

Another miss, although the colour of the dress is quite nice. The dress looks too big and voluminous, and I hate the loose, double breasted top. She could wear a scarf or something to cover her arms, if she wants to wear a summer dress during the winter. The worst part for me are the shoe straps, they look like some tacky leather shackles and "cut" her legs. However, I like her makeup a lot, she's glowing!
Old 02-28-2018, 02:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette2 View Post

I don't think a comment about whether a woman should wear certain things in certain months is exactly a fashion critique as opposed to be a lifestyle critique to be fair. I think her point was about not caring if she should wear sleeveless in February rather than not caring about fashion overall. There is a difference. And really, a lot of us don't care about if someone looks like they are cold. I'm assuming they know better than me if they are cold or not since they are functioning adults. I'll just judge the design, fabric, etc. of the clothes.

And nothing wrong with 1950s women, the fashion problem lies in when women of today start dressing like they are 1950s housewife.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:46 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post

Meghan in a sleeveless blue dress at the first annual Royal Foundation Forum in London today, February 28 - it's a Jason Wu dress:

** Full view ** Upper part ** Upper part 2 **
Another boring outfit for me i'm afraid, it has no shape and does nothing for her. I wish she'd wear some colour!
Old 02-28-2018, 02:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
the fashion problem lies in when women of today start dressing like they are 1950s housewife.
Surely EVERY Woman has a perfect right to wear WHATEVER she deems fit, without the Fashionistas prescribing it for her...???
Old 02-28-2018, 02:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Surely EVERY Woman has a perfect right to wear WHATEVER she deems fit, without the Fashionistas prescribing it for her...???
Of course a woman has a right to wear whatever she wants. I'm not going to go up to anyone and tell them they can't wear something. However, as in every fashion thread, there will be critical voices and supporting voices just as you have problems with Meghan Markle wearing sleeveless in February. Some of us are just happy that Meghan doesn't dress like she's a 1950s housewife.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:50 PM
Majesty

I just shake my head at the continual irony of groups of folks who think themselves progressive and forward in their views and champion women to do everything under the sun...expect apparently wear non-modern clothing options (someone tell DVF to get rid of that wrap dress) or sleeveless tops in Feb.

LaRae
Old 02-28-2018, 02:52 PM
Majesty

I don’t find anything about Meghan to be particularly fashion forward. In fact her dress sense is pretty boring.

Her biggest claim to fame seems to be wearing trousers, something Diana was doing 30 years ago.

So hardly the last word in fashion.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:57 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Certainly, but this thread is a fashion commentary thread. Does that mean every conversation should shower praise?

I think it's old fashioned at this point to "dress the season" for an indoor event with no outdoor portion. She had a coat when she arrived, they were taken to a staging area and she removed the coat. The entirity of this engagement was in a heated room with hot stage lights. Maybe she's one of those people who run warm, she has experience with panels and lighting, she may know she'd end up sweating or uncomfortable and be fidgeting, and was trying to avoid that.

Be a good person.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnsha View Post
Good for her. It's 2018! Meghan is passionate about the issues. Style over substance is over!

Well this is a fashion thread so I thought I could comment on her clothes... silly me

Quote:

Yep she can and does wear what she likes and I can say what I like or dislike otherwise what is this fashion thread for !!!!

Closed Thread