Hereditary Grand Duchess Stéphanie's Fashion & Style Part 3: June - December 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing is wrong with the way Stephanie dresses. She's always dressed appropriately for the occasion.

Could she use better tailoring? Yes. Could she be more stylish? Yes. But Stephanie hasn't put a wrong foot forward as far as the dress code is concerned.

Absolutely correct. The only think she absolutely needs is to fully fit (tailor) each cloth to her body.
Hes clothes are fully tastefull, appropriate to her rank and to each circumstance.
As for dressing more stylish and trendy, i think it is her choice not to do it, it does not fit her calm personnality. Each woman has not thd mind of a top model!
I would compare Stephanie only to Q.Mathilde, as both are Belgian from old families, with similar mentality and education, It should be interesting to see how was dressing QM at her early years.
ALL the other CP come from the mibble people's class and have other mentality, we should not ask Stephanie to be like them.

Nothing is wrong with the way Stephanie dresses. She's always dressed appropriately for the occasion. Could she use better tailoring? Yes. Could she be more stylish? Yes. But Stephanie hasn't put a wrong foot forward as far as the dress code is concerned.

You couldn't have said it better! At the end of the day, it comes down to modesty, dressing like a lady and dressing how you choose to. She is always dressed appropriately. Her skirts are a modest length. This is just who she is. I think in general she possible has different standards for herself.

Absolutely correct. The only think she absolutely needs is to fully fit (tailor) each cloth to her body.
Hes clothes are fully tastefull, appropriate to her rank and to each circumstance.
As for dressing more stylish and trendy, i think it is her choice not to do it, it does not fit her calm personnality. Each woman has not thd mind of a top model!
I would compare Stephanie only to Q.Mathilde, as both are Belgian from old families, with similar mentality and education, It should be interesting to see how was dressing QM at her early years.
ALL the other CP come from the mibble people's class and have other mentality, we should not ask Stephanie to be like them.

LOL!! I said this when the engagement was first announced and was accused of exalting Stephanie because she is from the nobility. But yes you are right, it's the truth. Those women tend to have different ideas about clothes and the importance of being in vogue fashion wise.

Lady Diana Spencer was the exception here, not the rule.

Last edited:
LOL!! I said this when he engagement was first announced and was accused of exalting Stephanie because she is from the nobility. But yes you are right, it's the truth. Those women tend to have different ideas about clothes and the importance of being in vogue fashion wise.

Lady Diana Spencer was the exception here, not the rule.

Snobbery. There are women of royal blood who dress appallingly and there are noble women who are just as bad. And there are a vast number of ordinary people who also dress appropriately and with an eye to fashion whether they hold an exalted position or not.

This is a blanket statement of the worst kind, as it uses "class" as a denominator.

People tend to dress similar to their group (their group being the people they hang out with, which isn't exactly the same thing as their class, whatever a class is). Of course, there are always people who stand out from their group, but they stand out exactly because the rest of the group dresses similarly. The kind of people Stephanie dealt with all of her life (noble and conservative families of Belgium and Europe) tend to dress this way: simply, modestly, conservatively, not paying much attention to fashion, etc. And this obviously reflects on the way Stephanie dresses.
With time, as she deals with different people and a new world will be open to her, she may or not change her way of dress.

This said, I do agree that she needs a tailor and could do much better than she sometimes does. But I don't believe her style will change dramatically

Snobbery. There are women of royal blood who dress appallingly and there are noble women who are just as bad. And there are a vast number of ordinary people who also dress appropriately and with an eye to fashion whether they hold an exalted position or not.

This is a blanket statement of the worst kind, as it uses "class" as a denominator.

I disagree cepe. It's my own very subjective opinion based on what I have seen with my own eyes after almost 30 years of Royal watching. There is nothing snobbish about what I said. I didn't say the nobility's priorities were better after all-in fact I definitely don't- just different.

You disagree, but your opinion is not more valid than mine as it's equally subjective so please don't use your own sensitivities and resentments about class differences to label me a snob. It's untrue, and I resent it.

Last edited:
. . . The kind of people Stephanie dealt with all of her life (noble and conservative families of Belgium and Europe) tend to dress this way: simply, modestly, conservatively, not paying much attention to fashion, etc. And this obviously reflects on the way Stephanie dresses . . .
Stephanie's parents are more of an age that probably equates to that of her contemporaries grandparents. That and the fact that being the youngest of eight children means there is a significant age spread.

IMO those factors have influenced the way she lived and, let's face it, what looks good on a 50 year old woman looks way to old for a 30 year old but it is modest. Give her time to find her own distinct (hopefully tailored) style.

Just so long as she gets to keep her serene smile and gracefully dignified air.

Stephanie helps welcome the Belgian King and Queen to Luxembourg for their introductory visit.

Her hair looks nice. The dress is fine though so drab and ages her so much. She needs a fitted jacket or belt to make it look less like a sack. Queen Mathilde has a similar background as Stephanie and she manages to present herself well (though I don't love what she's wearing today). I hope Stephanie learns to refine her style.

http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/7386/gau7.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/20o1hv.jpg

Last edited:
Both the style and colour of the outfit look dated on a young woman like Stephanie. I would like to see her dare more in this department.

I have to agree the brown does nothing for her at all very aging actually on her at least she doesn't have a shawl!!!!

Stephanie's fashion style is quite "old fashioned" for her age. This is a pitty as she is a pretty young woman. She urgently needs a stylist I am afraid.

Stephanie's hair looked lovely for once, full of volume and movement. Unfortunately her dress was way too old, boring and the wrong colour.

I will agree with everyone else. That color is wrong for her. She has worn that dress before and it fits differently than it did, perhaps because she has put on a little weight?

But her face and her hair look simply gorgeous imo. I love it! I hope she is growing her hair out like before!:p

I really like Stephanie's softly waving hair and makeup, but agree that the style and color dress is too old for her.

Overall, I like the dress, but I too agree the above posts - the colour doesn't really suit Stephanie. I prefer her (and think she looks better in) light blues and purples. Her hairstyle is lovely, however.

Her hair and makeup look good , but the dress is just not right too old.

Boring brown dress but I love her hair!

OK everyone, I think we all agree that Stephanie's dress is boring, way too old for her and not a particularly flattering colour.

But let's look on the upside. Stephanie has changed her hair! :clap: :clap: :clap:

No, not just a a professional hair job for the occasion . . . she has had it shaped and styled and Wow, what a difference. In Stephanie's style evolution that is a huge change. But, most important of all, she has retained her serene expression and joyful smile.

Last edited:
Stephanie's hair and makeup are amazing. She is beaming! The dress... well, I'm not fond of the color, but I think it fits her well. She doesn't have a tiny waist, so adding a belt wouldn't have improved it in my opinion. But, although it looks old, the line is flattering for her figure. I'm thinking a different material and a color that just 'pops' - and add some jewelry and it wouldn't be bad at all.

She finally did something with her hair, it looks great. Now she needs help with clothes and shoes.

Stephanie's hair and makeup are amazing. She is beaming! The dress... well, I'm not fond of the color, but I think it fits her well. She doesn't have a tiny waist, so adding a belt wouldn't have improved it in my opinion. But, although it looks old, the line is flattering for her figure. I'm thinking a different material and a color that just 'pops' - and add some jewelry and it wouldn't be bad at all.

Agreed. I LOVE her hair and make up. It's just lovely.

The color doesn't do much for her, but it does fit her well.

After reading the comments about the brown dress she wore at the reception for the Belgians, I thought it would be a sack. I think it looked fine. Notice that all the ladies (Mathilde, Maria Teresa, and Stephanie) wore dresses which came to mid knee, which has long been the standard of dignified and modest dress day wear. The dress was not decorated but her glorious golden hair was decoration enough. Mathilde and Maria Teresa also wore dignified modest dresses. Stephanie is a mature woman at 30 or almost 30. No reason to dress like a teenager. And notice that her brown shoes matched the dress. A nice touch.

Stephanie helps welcome the Belgian King and Queen to Luxembourg for their introductory visit.

Her hair looks nice. The dress is fine though so drab and ages her so much. She needs a fitted jacket or belt to make it look less like a sack. Queen Mathilde has a similar background as Stephanie and she manages to present herself well (though I don't love what she's wearing today). I hope Stephanie learns to refine her style.

http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/7386/gau7.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/20o1hv.jpg

I love "brown" and the dress is quite fitting for the occasion; Stephanie looks very appropriate next to the Queen and the Grand Duchess. Besides her hair is very nicely done! Good for her :)

I think she looked good - pretty hair, and the colour of the dress suited her and the style is just fine.

Stephanie is never going to be a Kate (or any other royal lady). It's just not her style or personality it seems. She appears quite content with her wardrobe and I would imagine she dresses to please herself and her husband (some men do have opinions about what their wives wear) as well as keeping in mind her obligations to her country.

Love the hair!!

LaRae

Stephanie looks lovely from the neck up. The hair, and make up are gorgeous. I hope she keeps her hair like this when going to events. It really suits her. Now, as to the dress, just one big :eek:.

what really bothers me about Stephanie is her overall posture and deportment. She is always slouching and cannot walk in heels. That is really what you need before you get dressed.

I think Stephanie looks better than Kate. Kate is close to Stephanie's age (a year older) and she wears skirts too short, like a teenager. Never mind that Kate has lovely legs. They do not need to be shown off in this way. Some of the other British royals also wear undignified skirt lengths from time to time (or all the time, except for the Queen!) Sophie of Wessex wears skirts too short, but when she went on tour to some conservative countries, she wore skirts at knee length, and she looked 100% better.
People might say I just have an old fashioned view on this. Yes, when I was young, no royal would ever be caught with skirts several inches above her knees, at occasions, such as military parades, where she is representing the Queen.
So for Stephanie to copy Kate's style would be coming down a few pegs.
Stephanie has a smashing full figure, and a plain but warm-colored brown dress just brings it out. She is gorgeous. And not old. But remember, she is nearly thirty.
Not a teenager.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom