Royal Orders and Decorations

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Von Schlesian

Nobility
City
York
Country
United Kingdom
Hallo everyone. I was just curious to know which of your countries' Orders and decorations are your favourites.

Personally mine are the Most Honourable order of the Bath and the Royal Victorian order. (The Neck badge of a Commander, or Knight/Dame of the Most Excellent order of the British Empire is also lovely to look at).

Many thanks.

Von Schlesian said:
Hallo everyone. I was just curious to know which of your countries' Orders and decorations are your favourites.

Personally mine are the Most Honourable order of the Bath and the Royal Victorian order. (The Neck badge of a Commander, or Knight/Dame of the Most Excellent order of the British Empire is also lovely to look at).

Many thanks.

Hmmm. These don't qualify as Australian, do they?

We only have on national order, the Order of Canada. So I guess that's my favourite!

In Italy we have five orders. The most important, which is is my favourite one, is the Order of the Merit of the Italian Republic.
The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh have this order (Knight Grand Cross with Chain, which the highest level).

Sean.~ said:
Hmmm. These don't qualify as Australian, do they?

We only have on national order, the Order of Canada. So I guess that's my favourite!

Hi Sean;

Well, I'm English, so they count as Orders from my country. But the Royal Victorian Order is still within the Australian Honours List, as it is awarded for personal service to Her Majesty. The same applies to the other constitutional Monarchies of which Her Majesty is Queen, that have their own honours system eg: Canada, New Zealand etc.

Sean;

Also, Canada has the Order of Military Merit, and the Order of Merit of the Police Forces. In addition, some of the provinces have Orders of their own eg: the Saskatchewan Order of Merit, and the Order of Ontario. (I understand these aren't national Orders, but it's very interesting to note that the provinces have orders of ther own. Such a system doesn't exist in Australia even though, the states are technically soverign states within the federation.

Von Schlesian said:
Sean;

Also, Canada has the Order of Military Merit, and the Order of Merit of the Police Forces. In addition, some of the provinces have Orders of their own eg: the Saskatchewan Order of Merit, and the Order of Ontario. (I understand these aren't national Orders, but it's very interesting to note that the provinces have orders of ther own. Such a system doesn't exist in Australia even though, the states are technically soverign states within the federation.

Yes, some of our Provinces have their own orders as a way of recognizing members within the community. The Order of Canada is our only "national" order, insofar as Canadians from all sectors can be eligable for membership. The Order of Military Merit and the Order of Police Forces is limited to personnel in those fields.

Last edited:
Von Schlesian said:
Hi Sean;

Well, I'm English, so they count as Orders from my country. But the Royal Victorian Order is still within the Australian Honours List, as it is awarded for personal service to Her Majesty. The same applies to the other constitutional Monarchies of which Her Majesty is Queen, that have their own honours system eg: Canada, New Zealand etc.

Sorry, I thought you were of Australian nationality.

The RVO is on the honours list here, but it is not really a natioinal order, as it is generally only awarded for personal service to the Queen or RF members. Thus, by it really isn't availabl to all sectors of Canadian society.

I probably should have been more specific about the question. Sorry about that. I understand your interpretation, and indeed yes, the example you give is correct. Likewise in Australia with the Order of Australia, it has both a General (civil), and Military division, so truely every citizen is elligable.

While it recognises such terriffic work done by Australians (and many people internationally), I prefer the Imperial Honours.

My favourite Order and Decorations are:

The Order of the Garter (United Kingdom)
The Order of the Thistle (United Kingdom)
The Order of the Merit (United Kingdom)
The Royal Victorian Order (United Kingdom)
The Order of the Elephant (Denmark)
The Icelandic Order of the Falcon (Iceland)
The Order of St Charles (Monaco)
The Order of the Rajamitrabhorn (Thailand)
The Trinity Cross (Trinidad & Tobago)
The Star of Tamasek (Singapore)
The Royal Order of the Northern Star (Sweden)
The Order of the Rising Sun (Japan)
The Order of al-Hussain ibn Ali (Jordan)
The Order of Australia (Australia)
The Star of Gallantry (Australia)
The Order of the Crown (Belgium)
The National Order of the Condor of the Andes (Bolivia)
The National Order of the Southern Cross (Brazil)
The Order of Merit of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg (Luxembourg)
The Order of Trishakti Patta (Nepal)
The Order of New Zealand (New Zealand)
The New Zealand Order of Merit (New Zealand)
The Order of St Olaf (Norway)
The Order of the White Eagle (Poland)
The Order of St Andrew (Russia)
The Order of Merit for the Motherland (Russia)
The Order of Bolivar (Venezuela)

:D

In France there is the Order Legion of Honor ... My great grand father was Chevalier de la Légion d'Honneur (Knight of the legion of honor, i'm not sure of this traduction :confused: )

Last edited:
My favourite would have to be the Order of Canada, I think its beautiful and so Canadian, with the red and white and the maple leaf.

From the Governor-General's website:
The Order of Canada is the centrepiece of Canada’s Honours System and recognizes a lifetime of outstanding achievement, dedication to the community and service to the nation. The Order recognizes people in all sectors of Canadian society. Their contributions are varied, yet they have all enriched the lives of others and made a difference to this country. The Order of Canada’s motto is DESIDERANTES MELIOREM PATRIAM (They desire a better country).
Description
The insignia of the Order is a stylized snowflake of six points, with a red annulus at its centre which bears a stylized maple leaf circumscribed with the motto of the Order, DESIDERANTES MELIOREM PATRIAM (They desire a better country), surmounted by St. Edward’s Crown.

More on the Order and Canada's other national orders:
http://www.gg.ca/honours/order_e.asp

Attachments

• oc-cc.jpg
    oc-cc.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 3,430
  • oc-oc.jpg
    oc-oc.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 3,435
  • oc-cm.jpg
    oc-cm.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 3,426
This July 15, 2005, on his 59th birthday, the Sultan of Brunei awarded Her Royal Highness Paduka Seri Pengiran Anak Isteri Pengiran Anak Sarah, the wife of His Royal Highness Crown Prince Pengiran Muda Haji Al-Muhtadee Billah the The Most Esteemed Family Order Laila Utama, known as D.K.
The Order was founded by Sultan Muda Haji 'Omar 'Ali Saif ud-din III on March 1, 1954. Awarded in two classes (1. Darjah Kerabat Laila Utama-DK and 2. Darjah Kerabat Sri Utama-DKII).
http://www.4dw.net/royalark/Brunei/brunei.htm

The order mentioned above is also bestowed by the Sultan of Brunei on foreign royals, including Princess Basma of Jordan and her husband Walid Al Kurdi

From her website:
In July 2000, His Majesty Sultan Haji Hassanal Bolkiah Mu'izzadin Waddaulah, Sultan and Yang Di-Pertuan of Brunei Darussalam, bestowed upon Her Royal Highness Princess Basma the Most Esteemed Family Order Laila Utama of Negara Brunei Darussalam.
http://www.princessbasma.jo/awards.html

Princess Basma and her husband at the Sultan of Brunei's birthday celebrations, July 15, 2005

StoneCold said:
My favourite Order and Decorations are:

The Order of the Garter (United Kingdom)
The Order of the Thistle (United Kingdom)
The Order of the Merit (United Kingdom)
The Royal Victorian Order (United Kingdom)
The Order of the Elephant (Denmark)
The Icelandic Order of the Falcon (Iceland)
The Order of St Charles (Monaco)
The Order of the Rajamitrabhorn (Thailand)
The Trinity Cross (Trinidad & Tobago)
The Star of Tamasek (Singapore)
The Royal Order of the Northern Star (Sweden)
The Order of the Rising Sun (Japan)
The Order of al-Hussain ibn Ali (Jordan)
The Order of Australia (Australia)
The Star of Gallantry (Australia)
The Order of the Crown (Belgium)
The National Order of the Condor of the Andes (Bolivia)
The National Order of the Southern Cross (Brazil)
The Order of Merit of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg (Luxembourg)
The Order of Trishakti Patta (Nepal)
The Order of New Zealand (New Zealand)
The New Zealand Order of Merit (New Zealand)
The Order of St Olaf (Norway)
The Order of the White Eagle (Poland)
The Order of St Andrew (Russia)
The Order of Merit for the Motherland (Russia)
The Order of Bolivar (Venezuela)

:D
My word Stone Cold, you certainly have a lot of favourites! :)

Just as a bit of trivia on one of those decorations, the Star of Gallantry is yet to be awarded. It has been Gazetted an official Australian award for 12 years, however, no one has yet fulfilled the required prerequisits. The Medal for Gallantry however, has been awarded numerus times since the approval for the award.

My are The order of Merit (Norway) I also like the brithis shases and The order of St Olav.

Oder of St Olav:
The Royal Norwegian Order of St.Olav
Instituted by King Oscar I in 1847. Conferred as "a reward for distinguished services rendered to the country and mankind". The King is Grand Master of the Order which takes its name from King Olav II, declared a saint after his death in 1030. Divided into five classes: Grand Cross, Grand Officer, Commander, Officer and Knight. The King may award the Collar of the Order to holders of the Grand Cross. Today, except for Royalty and foreign Heads of State, the Order of St.Olav is restricted to Norwegian nationals. The Grand Cross is worn on a broad sash passing from the right shoulder to the left side, the Commander´s Cross on a ribbon around the neck, and the Knight´s Cross on the ribbon on the left side of the breast. Both the sash and ribbon of the Order are red with a blue border stripe double-edged with white. Women wear the Commander´s Cross, likewise the Knight´s Cross, in a bow of the Knight´s Cross ribbon on the left side of the breast. When awarded for military services, the decoration of the Order bears two blue-enamelled crossed swords under the crown on the cross. On the death of a member, or if a member is awarded a higher decoration, the insignia must be returned to the Chancery of the Order. Applications for conferment of the Order are addressed to HM The King and submitted through the Chancery of the Order. The Council of the Order, appointed by HM The King on the recommendation of the Prime Minister, consists of a Chancellor, a Vice Chancellor, a Treasurer (the Lord Chamberlain) and three other members representing Southern, Central and Northern Norway who submit their recommendations on all matters to the Grand Master. The Chancery of the Order is the secretariat for the Council of the Order.

DigiMaker69.jpg

DigiMaker70.jpg

Order of Merit:
The Royal Norwegian Order of Merit
DigiMaker71.jpg

Instituted by King Olav V in 1985 for conferment upon foreign nationals and Norwegian nationals permanently resident abroad as a reward for outstanding service in the interests of Norway, also upon career officers in the Norwegian Foreign Service, upon foreign civil servants in Norway for diplomatic or consular services, and upon Norway´s honorary consuls for consular services. The King is the Grand Master of the Order. The Order is divided into the following classes: Grand Cross, Commander (subdivided into Grand Officer and Commander), and Knight (subdivided into Officer and Knight). The ribbon of the Order is deep blue moiré and the insignia are worn as decreed for the Order of St.Olav. They become the property of the recipient. Applications for conferment are addressed to HM The King and submitted through the Protocol Department of the Royal Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The Order is conferred by HM The King on the recommendation of the Council of the Order consisting of the Lord Chamberlain of the Court, the Chief of Protocol of the Royal Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Head of Chancery of the Royal Norwegian Order of St.Olav.

from kongehuset.no

Prince Albert's decorations

Can anyone identify each of Prince Albert of Monaco's decorations? I am trying to specifically identify each medal and everything. I don't need a list of his honors and medals. I know what orders he belongs to. But I'm not familiar with the decorations of each. Does anyone have pictures of each? of any? or where can I go to see them? is there a site with pictures of all of them, or any of them?

Collage of Prince Albert of Monaco's Medals and Orders

Source: my own website (I made this collage)

I have only been able to identify one! Albert belongs to so many Orders that he can't possibly wear all of them at once, so obviously I just have a handful of his here. Does anyone know any of them?
http://casiraghitrio.com/elders/PrinceAlbertOrdersMedals.jpg

Royal Orders

I was wondering if we could possibly compile a list of all the orders of each country and a picture of each?
I find it very interesting how each country has many numerous orders and how they each have a different and significant history behind them.

The only orders I know of are two orders from Denmark:
Order of the Elephant (worn with the light blue sash)
http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/457/elephant1vb.jpg
The Order of the Elephant is the oldest and most distinguished order and dates back to the 15th century. The statutes of the Order were established by Christian V on 1 December 1693. Since 9 April 1959, women have been eligible for admission to the Order. In earlier times the Order was mainly conferred on foreign princes and distinguished Danish noblemen. Nowadays the Order is almost exclusively awarded to Heads of State and Members of the Royal Family.
The explanation for the elephant as the symbol of the Order is most likely that a warrior elephant was used as a symbol for the defenders of Christianity who were incensed at the sight of Christ’s blood. At the same time the elephant symbolised purity and chastity.

Order of the Dannebrog (worn with a red/white sash?)
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/1697/dannebrog5ko.jpg
The Order of Dannebrog was instituted by Christian V in 1671, and like the Order of the Elephant, acquired its first official statutes on 1 December 1693. In 1808 the statutes were amended and extended, modelled on the French Legion of Honour, and the Order was divided into different grades. It is now mainly used to decorate meritorious Danish citizens. On 10 October 1951 women became eligible for admission to the Order of Dannebrog.

And an order from England:
Order of the Garter (worn with the dark blue sash)

Elephant Order: www.kongehuset.dk (information as well)
Dannebrog order:http://www.medals.org.uk/denmark/denmark002.htm

Last edited:
As for us in Australia, we have the Order of Australia, established in 1975. Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II is the Sovereign of the Order, while each successive Governor-General is the Chancellor and Principle Companion of the Order. There are four grades of the order (although one is no longer awarded), and an associated medal. They are awarded in two divisions: the General division and the Military division, and rank in descending order:
Knight/Dame of the Order of Australia (AK/AD), although no additional awards at this level have occured since 1986, Companion of the Order of Australia (AC), Officer of the Order of Australia (AO), Member of the Order of Australia (AM) and the associated Medal of the Order of Australia (OAM).

Here are pictures of various pieces of insignia. It should be noted that because that even when the grade of Knight/Dame was awarded, there was no Knight/Dame Grand Cross of the Order and therefore no corresponding sash, sash badge or collar. http://www.medals.org.uk/australia/australia004.htm
http://img102.imageshack.us/my.php?image=australia0150rq.jpg
http://imageshack.us]
australia0254nd.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Can someone post pics of Royals wearing the Order of the British Empire and the Order of the Bath. Do they have sashes and collars? Ive always wondered what the OBE sash looked like? Isnt the OB sash red?

Princejohnny;

The insignia of Knights and Dames Grand Cross of the Most Honourable Order of the Bath (GCB), and Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (GBE), comprise of a Collar, breast star, shoulder sash and sash badge (suspended from the sash bow).

To my knowledge, there are no pictures of members of Royal families wearing the sash of the GBE, as it is such a junior order, the sash and sash badge of the most senior order is worn, unless with the collar, in which case, the sash and sash badge of the next order in the precedence is worn.

The broad riband (or the sash) of the Most Honourable Order of the Bath is indeed red/crimson. The riband of the Order of the British Empire is rose, with light grey edges in the civil division, and with an additional thin grey stripe down the centre for the military division.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are there pics of anyone wearing them. I have always wondered why the OBE isnt given out to all members of the royal familiy like the Scandinavians give out orders to all royals in the family.

Because the MOst Escellent Order of the British Empire is a relatively modern order (established in 1917 by HM King George V), intended to recognise specific achievement by military and civilian persons in the exercise of their military of civil responsibilities. Whereas: the Most Noble Order of the Garter, Most Ancient and Noble Order of the Thistle, Most Honourable Order of the Bath and the Royal Victorian Order, are far more frequently awarded to members of the Royal family in the discharge of their duties for and assistance of the Monarch. THe exception to this is when members of the Royal family are created Grand Masters of the orders of Knighthood (HRH The Prince of Wales is Grand Master of the Order of the Bath, HRH The Duke of Kent is Grand Master of the Order of St. Michael and St. George, HRH The Duke of Edinburgh is Grand Master of the ORder of the British Empire and HRH The Duke of Gloucester is Grand Master of the Most Venerable Order of St. John of Jerusalem.

I've noticed that Emperor Akihito is the only non-Christian monarch who is a Knight of the Garter; his ancestors also received the blue riband of the most exalted English order of chivlry. Are Emperors of Japan excepted from the general prohibition on awarding the Garter to non-Christians, which seems to exist since at least the 1920s? Other non-Christian monarchs usually get either Royal Victorian Chain or GCB.

Last edited:
What orders do royals have?

perhaps we can specify which orders each royal has? i'm specially curious as to what refers to commoner princesses as i think it's quite interesting to see when they get new ones. some royal webpages make this information available, but most of them don't...

here are the norwegian orders for the crown princely couple.

HAAKON

Norge
  • Storkors med kjede av St. Olavs Orden
  • Storkors av Den Norske Fortjenstordenen
  • Forsvarsmedaljen med laubærgren
  • Kongehusets 100 årsmedalje
  • Olav Vs Minnemedalje 30. januar 1991
  • Olav Vs jubileumsmedalje 1957-1982
  • Olav Vs 100 årsmedalje
  • Sjøforsvarets Vernedyktighetsmedalje
  • Norske Reserveoffiserers Forbunds hederstegn
  • Sjømilitære Samfunds fortjenstmedalje i gull
  • Oslo Militære Samfunns Hederstegn i gull
Bulgaria
  • Storkors av Stara Planina Ordenen
Danmark
  • Ridder av Elefantordenen
Estland
  • Storkors av Terra Mariana Orden
Finland
  • Storkors av Den Hvite Roses Orden
Italia
  • Storkors av den Italienske Fortjenstordenen
Japan
  • Storkors av Krysantemumsordenen
Jordan
  • Storkors av Al-Nahda Orden
Latvia
  • Storkors av Trestjerneordenen
Tyskland
  • Storkors av Den Tyske Fortjenstordenen
METTE MARIT

Norge
  • Storkors av St. Olavs Orden
  • Kongehusets 100 årsmedalje
  • Kong Olav Vs 100 årsmedalje
  • H.M. Kong Harald Vs Portrettnål
Bulgaria
  • Storkors av Stara Planina Ordenen
Estland
  • Storkors av Terra Mariana Orden
Italia
  • Storkors av den Italienske Fortjenstordenen
Japan
  • Storkors av den Kostbare Krones Orden
Polen
  • Storkors av Den Polske Republikks Fortjenstorden
Portugal
  • Storkors av Infante Dom Henriks Orden
Spania
  • Storkors av Isabella den Katolskes Orden
Sverige
  • Storkors av Den Kongelige Nordstjerneordenen
danish orders for the crown princes

FREDERIK
Ridder af Elefantordenen (R.E.),
Storkommandør (S.Kmd.),
Dannebrogordenens Hæderstegn (D.Ht.),
Erindringsmedaljen i anledning af 50-års dagen for Hendes Majestæt Dronning Ingrids ankomst til Danmark (Dr.I.E.M.),
Reserveofficersforeningen i Danmarks Hæderstegn (ROHT),
Erindringsmedaljen i anledning af H.M. Dronning Margrethe og H.K.H. Prins Henriks Sølvbryllup (S.E.m.),
Erindringsmedaljen i anledning af H.M. Dronning Margrethe II's 25 års regeringsjubilæum (R.E.m.),
Dansk Militært Idrætsforbunds Hæderstegn (D.M.I.H.),
Mindemedaljen i anledning af hundredårsdagen for Kong Frederik IX's fødsel (M.M.11. marts 1899-1999),
Den Kongelige Belønningsmedalje med krone og inskriptionen EXPEDITION SIRIUS 2000 (B.M.2*.m.Inskrip.),
Dronning Ingrids Mindemedalje (Dr.I.M.M.),
Grønlands Landstings fortjenstmedalje Nersornaat i guld (Grøn.Hjst.M.1.).

Udenlandske Ordener:

Fortjenstordenen, Storkors, Italien (It.F.1.),
Adolph af Nassaus civile og militære Fortjenstorden, Storkors, Luxembourg (N.A.1.),
Ojaswi Rajanya Orden, Storkors, Nepal (Nep.Oja.Raj.1),
Serafimerorden, Sverige (S.Sph.),
St. Olavs Orden, Storkors, Norge (N.St.0.1.),
Hvide Roses Orden, Storkors, Finland (Fi.H.R.1.),
Terra Mariana Orden, Storkors, Estland (Est.T.M.1.),
De Tre Stjerners Orden, Storkors, Letland (Letland Le.S.1.),
Leopolds Orden, Storkors, Belgien (B.L.1.),
Den Islandske Falkeorden,
(N.A.1.),
Ojaswi Rajanya Orden, Storkors, Nepal (Nep.Oja.Raj.1),
Serafimerorden, Sverige (S.Sph.),
St. Olavs Orden, Storkors, Norge (N.St.0.1.),
Hvide Roses Orden, Storkors, Finland (Fi.H.R.1.),
Terra Mariana Orden, Storkors, Estland (Est.T.M.1.),
De Tre Stjerners Orden, Storkors, Letland (Letland Le.S.1.),
Leopolds Orden, Storkors, Belgien (B.L.1.),
Den Islandske Falkeorden,
Storkors (I.F.1.),
Den jordanske Renaissance Orden, Storkors (Jo.Re.1.),
Krysantemum Orden, Japan (J.Krys),
Sydkorsorden, Storkors, Brasilien (Br.S.K.1.),
Rio Branco Orden, Storkors, Brasilien (Br.R.B.1.),
Chula Chom Klao Orden, Storkors, Thailand (S.C.K.1),
Forbundsrepubliken Tysklands Fortjenstorden, Storkors (Ty.F.R.F.1),
Stjerne Orden: Storkors, Rumænien (R.Stj.O.1.),
Stara Planina Orden, 1. kl., Bulgarien (Bu.S.P.1.).

MARY

Dansk dekoration:
Forkortelse i parentes svarer til de i Hof- og Statskalenderen anførte.
Ridder af Elefantordenen (R.E.)

Udenlandske ordener:

St. Olavs Orden, Storkors, Norge (No.St.0.1.),
Stara Planina Orden, 1. kl., Bulgarien (Bu.S.P.1.).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom