The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-14-2013, 12:05 PM
Heir Apparent

BT has a brief article about why Schackenborg went to the DRF, to be exact Joachim, despite there being several live Schacks around.
Derfor sagde Mik Schack nej til at arve Schackenborg | www.bt.dk

The next in line for the manor was Mik Schack, who is now a pretty wellknown name in his own right in DK as a musician and journalist and he explains very frankly why:
"....My family has had Schackenborg for eleven generations but (I) couldn't afford to inherit it, so in 1978 it was handed over to the DRF. My father told me it was hopeless with the debt and that it would be had for a Copenhagener-boy (it also means someone who is very urban) like me. I wasn't going out to play farmer, because I had just opened (a cafe) and was very busy there".

- The debt and the state of the manor came as a surprise to the DRF, from all account I've heard. Leading to a major rift between the DRF and the Schack family.
And Joachim is still renovating the manor, which from account by Alexandra and Joachim was very old fashioned and in a prety poor state. The money rasised as a public wedding present at their wedding was very much needed.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

do the palace has the letters A & J in the gates?

Old 04-21-2013, 02:46 PM
Courtier

No, the monogram was changed shortly before Prince Joachim married Marie Cavallier. Fortunately they didn't have to change the entire gate, but just the "medallion" with the initials in it. So it's now J & M !

viv
Old 04-22-2013, 03:33 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchainho View Post
do the palace has the letters A & J in the gates?
Here you can see the two joint monograms: ALEXANDRA: SPØGER PÅ SCHACKEN-BORG - - SE og HØR
Old 04-22-2013, 09:58 AM
Heir Apparent

That is correct, but as you can tell from the article FasterB kindly posted, Alexandra is not and will not be completely forgotten at Schackenborg.
Her and Joachim's monogram in the gate itself has indeed been replaced by the new monogram of Joachim and our Marie's, but another monogram, A&J, has been incased in the wall of the gate-house and that monogram will remain for historical reasons. Alexandra is after all a part of the history of Schackenborg.

- An elegant and neat solution I think. Not only is Alexandra a part of the history of the manor, but there is also Nikolai and Felix to consider. They may appreciate that their mother's presence at Schackenobrg hasn't been completely eradicated
It also says something about Joachim and the mature way their divorce was handled. Many in Joachim's place would have torn the monogram from the brickwork and thrown it on the mitten in the anger and bitterness that is so common after a divorce.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Inside Schackenborg Slot in 2006 and again in 2010. https://app.box.com/s/9ylnh9sozy3gyu36xpby
Old 10-21-2013, 12:20 PM
Courtier

What ever happened to their dog Winston? We see Apple off & on
Old 12-12-2013, 01:51 PM
Heir Apparent

BB's Ken Richter reports that a newly restored 250 year old barn on the Schackenborg estate has been severely damaged by the recent storm.
It received some damage from the last storm a couple of months ago and this storm reall shook the place up!

The barn is used for cultural activities winthin Tønder municipality and as such it's not used to actually store hay and straw.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:12 PM
Courtier

Cote d'Azur, Montauroux, France

I read somewhere that Joachim & Marie purchased a home called Cote d'Azur in Montauroux, France...............can someone tell me something about this home?apartment?villa?estate?
This makes sense do to Chateau de Caix being given to Frederik & Mary
Old 02-03-2014, 12:39 PM
Heir Apparent

From what I understand that was meant as an investment.
I don't believe they intend to go there on holidays, but rather they rent it to other holiday makers.
IIRC our Marie's mother has some property in that part of France as well. Perhaps she's keeping an eye on the villa?
Old 04-15-2014, 10:11 AM
Heir Apparent

That's odd, I know I wrote this down a litte while ago...

Whatever, here we go again:

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #16, 2014.
Written by Ken Richter.

Joachim is a part of a consortium called the Five Farms, which sell and market a number of products though the consortium.
Joachim has previously among many other things sold beer and the Schackenborg Snaps (a bitter) through that consortium.
Now he has launched two more products. Schackenborg Vodka and Schackenborg Dry Gin, both at 44 %. - In the interest of this forum I will volunteer to sample these products. Someone has to do it, so I'll sacrifice myself for the cause.

(Sorry about the break, I had to polish my halo).
The consortium is going reasonably well. Last surplus was for 500.000 DKK and the equity is close to Seven million DKK.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Now he has launched two more products. Schackenborg Vodka and Schackenborg Dry Gin, both at 44 %. - In the interest of this forum I will volunteer to sample these products. Someone has to do it, so I'll sacrifice myself for the cause.

You are too kind!
but yes please report back
Old 04-19-2014, 08:06 AM
Gentry

So was Toender formerly in the Duchy of Schleswig-Holstein?

If so, was Schackenborg's status upgraded to Royal when Schleswig was incorporated into the Kingdom proper?
Old 04-19-2014, 11:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcosFenn View Post
So was Toender formerly in the Duchy of Schleswig-Holstein?

If so, was Schackenborg's status upgraded to Royal when Schleswig was incorporated into the Kingdom proper?
Correct, Tönder was a part of Schleswig/Slesvig (later Germany) until 1920, when Tønder became a part of Denmark.
Northern Slesvig (DK spelling) is the only part of the original three duchies that is now a part of Denmark.

Schackenborg belonged to the Schack family for I don't know how many generations until they ran out of heirs. And the rest of the family were not interested in, let alone could afford to take over a pretty neglected manor, so it was testamented to Joachim.
It is now Joachim's property but it's strictly speaking only a royal residence in the sense that Joachim is a member of the DRF.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:21 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Correct, Tönder was a part of Schleswig/Slesvig (later Germany) until 1920, when Tønder became a part of Denmark.
Northern Slesvig (DK spelling) is the only part of the original three duchies that is now a part of Denmark.

Schackenborg belonged to the Schack family for I don't know how many generations until they ran out of heirs. And the rest of the family were not interested in, let alone could afford to take over a pretty neglected manor, so it was testamented to Joachim.
It is now Joachim's property but it's strictly speaking only a royal residence in the sense that Joachim is a member of the DRF.
Thank-you!

It seems all part of the unfolding narrative of, Where is Denmark? underlying the probably now settled Schleswig-Holstein question.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcosFenn View Post
Thank-you!

It seems all part of the unfolding narrative of, Where is Denmark? underlying the probably now settled Schleswig-Holstein question.
I should say so.

The DRF visit the minorities on both sides of the border from time to time. You may recall a few years ago, how M&F visited a kindergarten for the German minority and told about the dragon they have at home in the basement. (I've been waiting to use that smiley. )
Old 04-20-2014, 03:27 AM
Gentry

Quote:
I should say so.

The DRF visit the minorities on both sides of the border from time to time. You may recall a few years ago, how M&F visited a kindergarten for the German minority and told about the dragon they have at home in the basement. (I've been waiting to use that smiley. )
Interestingly there is also a German-speaking minority in Eastern Belgium, in the Ostakantone, where native German-speakers are citizens of the King of Belgium. it sounds similar to the situation of native German-speakers in southern Denmark who are citizens of the Danish Kingdom.

The Belgian situation came about after a number of changes of jurisdiction following the World Wars.

To make the German-speakers feel included, it's traditional for Kings of the Belgians sometimes to make speeches, or at least parts of speeches, in German.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Here is the interview with Joachim in this weeks BB.

Apart from captions and the first few lines which were an introduction I have translated the entire interview, without personal comments, so that you can interprete the interview yourselves.
There is little hard facts but quite a few things between the lines IMO.

Here you go: https://app.box.com/s/pjjxb0alao7v92pkdhfn

And the article for reference and case you wish for a clarification from Danish members:
https://app.box.com/s/qskoshs9kwl4a9hccvod
https://app.box.com/s/hqiryjlk49876no5t0ll
Old 08-03-2014, 03:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Summary of a Q&A in Billed Bladet #31, 2014.
Where a Jørgen Paulsen asks: Is there an explanation as to why Joachim and Marie's sale of Schackenborg is not made public? I think their disposition seems odd.

Jon Bloch Skipper replies that he believes there are a number of reasons for moving away from Schackenborg, including that they no doubt found it difficult to combine their royal duties with a permanent home with small children in Southern Jutland and also a wish from Joachim to be closer (physically) to his children. But also that the economic reasons have been a factor as well. Running a farm (and a manor) during a financial crisis is not easy.
However, personally Jon Bloch Skipper think the decision was wrong for a number of reasons.
The couple expose themselves unecessarily to accusations of questionable economical transactions, to accusations of putting their own convinience before their royal duties and to accusations of putting Copenhagen before the rest of the country.
It breaks with a tradition of the DRF being physically present all over the country.
The decision is a personal defeat for Joachim.
And last but not least it means the DRF is vacating the most royalist part of DK, Southern Jutland - for which it meant a lot of to Joachim and Maire living there.

- Sometimes Jon Bloch Skipper can be pretty stern in his replies, this is one of the harsher!
In Joachim's defence I will point out that while Jon Bloch Skipper is a historian and a renouned expert in the DRF, he is not a farmer, nor an economist
While he arguments are valid, I do find his argument about there being a tradition for the DRF to be present all over the country to be wrong.
The DRF travel and live for brief periods all over the country, but permanent residencies for the most prominent members is not a tradition.
The thing that comes closest was Queen Ingrid staying at Gråsten during the summer months, but by then she had semi-retired.
I do however wholeheartedly agree with Jon Bloch Skipper that the sale of Schackenborg was a personal defeat for Joachim - some thing I believe Joachim is very much aware of!
Old 08-03-2014, 04:14 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Summary of a Q&A in Billed Bladet #31, 2014.
Where a Jørgen Paulsen asks: Is there an explanation as to why Joachim and Marie's sale of Schackenborg is not made public? I think their disposition seems odd.

Jon Bloch Skipper replies that he believes there are a number of reasons for moving away from Schackenborg, including that they no doubt found it difficult to combine their royal duties with a permanent home with small children in Southern Jutland and also a wish from Joachim to be closer (physically) to his children. But also that the economic reasons have been a factor as well. Running a farm (and a manor) during a financial crisis is not easy.
However, personally Jon Bloch Skipper think the decision was wrong for a number of reasons.
The couple expose themselves unecessarily to accusations of questionable economical transactions, to accusations of putting their own convinience before their royal duties and to accusations of putting Copenhagen before the rest of the country.
It breaks with a tradition of the DRF being physically present all over the country.
The decision is a personal defeat for Joachim.
And last but not least it means the DRF is vacating the most royalist part of DK, Southern Jutland - for which it meant a lot of to Joachim and Maire living there.

- Sometimes Jon Bloch Skipper can be pretty stern in his replies, this is one of the harsher!
In Joachim's defence I will point out that while Jon Bloch Skipper is a historian and a renouned expert in the DRF, he is not a farmer, nor an economist
While he arguments are valid, I do find his argument about there being a tradition for the DRF to be present all over the country to be wrong.
The DRF travel and live for brief periods all over the country, but permanent residencies for the most prominent members is not a tradition.
The thing that comes closest was Queen Ingrid staying at Gråsten during the summer months, but by then she had semi-retired.
I do however wholeheartedly agree with Jon Bloch Skipper that the sale of Schackenborg was a personal defeat for Joachim - some thing I believe Joachim is very much aware of!
Thank you for this Muhler; I wonder however if the sale of Schackenborg is more a decision based on healthy realism than any sense of personal defeat. Running a farm is a full time job in itself; with Prince Joachim's many other commitments, perhaps the sale (was it not sold to a foundation?) and move to Copenhagen are the result of hard thinking about the road ahead that the Prince wishes to travel with his family.

Tags
castles, danish royal history, danish royal palaces, residences, schackenborg castle