Amalienborg Palace, Copenhagen

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I recently saw the Danish documentary about the renovations of the Crown Prince couple's new home on TV. It was simply fascinating to watch. Unfortunately I cannot find the documentary anywhere online and with English subtitles. I could only find this short clip of it:

Edit: I found this page where you can watch the documentary:

Unfortunately it is in Danish but at least you get to see the palace.

The short English language version is here. There are plenty of shots of the palace interior.: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f231/amalienborg-palace-copenhagen-19002-5.html#post1106795

How many rooms are considered their "private" quarters ?

How many rooms are considered their "private" quarters ?

The entire top floor and a part of the first floor, where the kitchen and terrace is located, is a part of M&F's private apartment.
However, there is nothing to hinder M&F in using the "official" rooms as well. Especially in connection with private parties and such.

According to BT lightning struck at Amalienborg Palace yesterday during the cloudburst hitting Copenhagen. Lynet slog ned hos dronningen - Danmark - BT.dk

Loosely translated:

A lightning bolt struck the palace during the bad weather Saturday night and one of the flagpoles is right now as a pile of kindling at Amalienborg Palace Square.

The storm also caused power to fail in the royal couple's home. And the electricity still isn't working, said Lene Balleby Sunday afternoon.

So this means that the Queen has spent her evening and night at Amalienborg Palace in the dark.

As usual, she spends her summer at Marselisborg Castle in Aarhus, but she was in Copenhagen this weekend for an official event Friday and a Saturday visit to Tivoli, which was canceled due to weather.

Also the royal couple's basement is affected by the violent cloudburst, which is called the worst of its kind in 30 years.

- Amalienborg had its water damage, like so many others have. But volume is not overwhelming, says Lene Balleby to bt.dk.

Especially Christian 7.s Palace and Christian 9.s Palace have been damaged by water. The Crown Prince couple's newly renovated housing is 'least affected', says Balleby.

It's Thursday again and Billed Bladet has hit the streets.

And this is in every way a remarkable week!
Apart from the lightning strike at Amalienborg, covered by Danish girl below :flowers:
and a note about a pendant worn by Mary the only thing about the DRF this week is their attendance at the wedding in Monaco.
That however is well featured indeed!
You can read a summary here: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...e-wedding-celebrations-31272.html#post1282630

As a follow-up on the lightning story here is waht a note in Billed Bladet has to say:
The palais in which the Regent Couple live was struck by lightning and the electricity went dead and was only fixed the day after, I believe.
Christian VII Palais, which is used as a guest-cottage.... suffered some damages from the torrential rain.
QMII happened to be in Copenhagen and she was supposed to have attended the premiere of a ballet, but that was cancelled due to the rain.
- I doubt however that QMII had to use candles that evening. I guess she simple spend the night in either Benedikte and Joachim's apartment or perhaps in one of M&F's guestrooms. Their palais suffered no damages at all.
I find it very unlikely that she drove to Fredensborg, considering the chaos on the roads.

Santa was kind enough to bring me the newly published book "Amalienborg" by Thomas Larsen, Jøgen Larsen & Bjakke Ørsted. It covers the history of all of the 4 palaces with plenty of nice pictures and a lot of stories from the buildings. I have only just browsed it, but I was really impressed.

Please tell me how to purchase this book, I can't find it on Amazon...and also is there an english edition, I would be happy with the Danish and get it for the pictures...thank you

Found this informative diagram of the Amalienborg complex...
Map of Amalienborg, Royal Palace since 1794

It shows that M&F live in Christian VIII (8) palace, no. 1 on the diagram...I notice the greenery/parkland behind the square/buildings...Now I have a question, is that 'yard' accesible to the family and children? Because when the family first moved in, I thought that the kids would have no private 'backyard' to play in because Amalienborg is all stone and concrete and built up/urban or rather that is all I have ever seen of it...It seemed like a far cry from the extensive parklands that were available to them at Frednsborg...but after seeing the diagram and imagining that they would probably have it (the green triangle) fully enclosed by now, the kids look like they have ample room for a swing set and trampoline and sandpit and I am sure M&F would make sure these things are there for the kids...

Found this informative diagram of the Amalienborg complex...
Map of Amalienborg, Royal Palace since 1794

It shows that M&F live in Christian VIII (8) palace, no. 1 on the diagram...I notice the greenery/parkland behind the square/buildings...Now I have a question, is that 'yard' accesible to the family and children? Because when the family first moved in, I thought that the kids would have no private 'backyard' to play in because Amalienborg is all stone and concrete and built up/urban or rather that is all I have ever seen of it...It seemed like a far cry from the extensive parklands that were available to them at Frednsborg...but after seeing the diagram and imagining that they would probably have it (the green triangle) fully enclosed by now, the kids look like they have ample room for a swing set and trampoline and sandpit and I am sure M&F would make sure these things are there for the kids...

That's correct. M&F do have a little, well decent sized, garden behind their mansion. It was remade in connection with the restoration.
There are alarm sensors all over the place. About fifteen-twenty years ago a burglar, a foreigner who didn't know it was the royal palace, scaled one of the walls and suddenly found himself beneath several hundred kilos of guardsmen.

Thanks Nordic, getting my Christians mixed up with my Frederiks...All I knew was that it was someone VIII ;) And good to know the kids have a 'backyard' even in their inner city pad :)

Last edited:
I am sure there is some aesthetically pleasing way to incorporate a sandpit into a formal garden...maybe off to the side or maybe it just needs a cover made of decking, so when it's not a sandpit it's a stage for Isabella to perform on ;)

Thank you Nordic, I love the photos! yes very formal, and no patio cover! I think it looks a kind of funny when yousee this big dorrs and steps and I can imagine Christian saying;" mom I am going to the back yard to play"! no outdoor furniture, no BBQ no swings I am very surprise I thoguht it would be more kids friendly! knowing fred and mary they would want something forthe kids! i notice that they have this low windows wonder what rooms are that ones?????

I am sure there is some aesthetically pleasing way to incorporate a sandpit into a formal garden...maybe off to the side or maybe it just needs a cover made of decking, so when it's not a sandpit it's a stage for Isabella to perform on ;)

I think we should treat these "House & Garden" pictures with a grain of salt.
Typical of such pictures is that the house/garden are very presentable. There is no swing, no sandbox, no cycle lying about. And inside there are no magazines lying about or (heaven forbid) a TV-set in sight!
If you read "house & Garden" or the equivalent in your countries, you'd be forgiven for thinking the inhabitants live in an exhibition home.
If we peek into M&F's garden right now, I'm pretty certain we would find toys lying about. A garden chair or two on the lawn. Traces of Ziggy having been digging in the flowerbeds and so on.....

I believe so too Muhler.
Furthermore, the pictures are used as presentation of the architectural firm behind the whole thing. The pictures are purposedly artistic - I bet the garden today is very much adapted into a family garden.

Please tell me how to purchase this book, I can't find it on Amazon...and also is there an english edition, I would be happy with the Danish and get it for the pictures...thank you

I apologise for the late reply, I have been out of commision for a few weeks. A search at Gyldendals website seems to indicate that no English version of this book is available. At least not for now. They do sometimes make versions of their larger books in english, but because this is not only heavy on pictures, but also on information about the palace in relation to the family and to the public role it plays in the monarcy, they have perhaps deemed it not interesting enough for english readers.

It is not all glitzy photos. There are mostly behind the scene and action shots. havin said that, it can be bought through saxo.com and they ship out of the country, but I think the page is all in Danish. Alternatively you might see if it is cheaper to get a local bookstore to try and get it home. The ISBN number is 978-87-02-08258-6. I asume you also use those codes were you are and it would help a local store find the book.

I think I ordered it today through Vangsgaards...Ordered books from them before...I hope I ordered it anyway, I couldn't read the Danish ;)

I couldn't see on the site how old the aerial photos were. So we don't know I guess, if Freds garden is the same today as in that photo. Maybe very different now after the renovation. That aerial photo could be years old.

Yay! My Amalienborg book is on it's way...I really should learn Danish so I can read it!

Yay! My Amalienborg book is on it's way...I really should learn Danish so I can read it!
you might be able to scan and post some photos, or at least let us know how much we can see there, i guess you are excited!:flowers:

:previous:

Which reminds me: when will someone build a 'replica hotel' of a royal palace in Vegas? If not a replica of Amalienborg then Buckingham Palace??
Ashelen, why not propose the idea to Mr. Wynn!!:);)

viv

I love Amalienborg because it is four 'residences' (my 'residence' is 1/100th the size of just one of the palaces ;) ) which make up the whole... I like the octogon shape with the central square...So it's possible each (nuclear) family to occupy their own 'home' while still being part of a larger whole...that is what I see the problem of Buckingham Palace, they practically live on top of each other in there in comparison ;)

:previous:

Which reminds me: when will someone build a 'replica hotel' of a royal palace in Vegas? If not a replica of Amalienborg then Buckingham Palace??
Ashelen, why not propose the idea to Mr. Wynn!!:);)

viv
this would be my dream if i win the lotto I would do it mysself!:flowers:my father always wanted to build all the family homes in the same area together, as a danish he may be had the idea from this Amalienborg, the grandkids living close to grandma!
It could be great here the only ashamed is that here the people don't dress up anymore to have such exquisite place and go to visit with shorts, and sewety t-shirt and flip flops it is frustrating, everytime i go dress up to one of the hotels everybody turn their head to look at me! no coultor here for such magestic place!

This is the palace I wish to see with my own eyes when I one day visit denmark :D and it's one of my favorite palaces.
So I want to get something clear, Mary and Fredrick live in one and queen margarethe II in another and prince Joachim and princess Marie in another? It's 4 palaces and are 3 used by the royal family ? So then what's the 4th possibly used for?

Joachim and Marie live at Schackenborg I believe.

This is the palace I wish to see with my own eyes when I one day visit denmark :D and it's one of my favorite palaces.
So I want to get something clear, Mary and Fredrick live in one and queen margarethe II in another and prince Joachim and princess Marie in another? It's 4 palaces and are 3 used by the royal family ? So then what's the 4th possibly used for?

The Regent Couple live in one palace. M&F in another. A Third is a museum and the fourth have rooms for some ceremonial purposes and contains apartments for Benedikte and Joachim, perhaps Nathalie and Anne-Marie as well. Apart from that there are also guest rooms here and there.

My book arrived today...Would really help if I could read and understand Danish...There are a few photos but I think the words would shed more light on them...Kan du hjaelpe mig? ;) That is about all I have learnt

Back
Top Bottom