Historic Royal Palaces and Stately Homes with Royal Connections

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When Queen Mary moved from Buckingham Palace to Marlborough House, she took the silk wall coverings from two of her sitting rooms, the Green Tea Room and the Boudoir with her. They had to be replaced at a cost of 550 pounds to the public purse.

Good heavens that would have been a lot of money in 1952!

Is that from James Pope Hennessey? I remember reading that when she moved form York House to Marlborough House in 1902 she found the colour scheme in some rooms (green & something else I think) not to her taste. She spent eight hour days decorating & furnishing. A hard life:lol:

Last edited:
Marlborough House under Queen Mary must have been quite a lavish residence.

Marlborough House under Queen Mary must have been quite a lavish residence.

Yes it was certainly was. Even more so when Edward & Alexandra were in residence.

Queen Mary was the last of a kind - The Duke of Beaufort, when asked which part of Badminton House Queen Mary had lived in during the war, replied "all of it". Badminton of course is a huge ducal palace.

Not to mention Queen Alexandra’s pet cemetery at the back of Marlborough House.

Not to mention Queen Alexandra’s pet cemetery at the back of Marlborough House.

Or the thatched summer house which could be rotated to keep royal personages out of the sun!

Almost too many to mention,shame its no longer a royal residence.

Almost too many to mention,shame its no longer a royal residence.

Yes, I've often thought that. It's of a suitable dignity for the heir/dowager. I guess the running costs would be astronomical.

I have a vague memory reading somewhere that the the Queen Mother cast an envious eye at Marlborough House after it had became vacant but this was vetoed as being too extravagant.

At least it has a dignified use as the Commonwealth HQ.

In 1842 Queen Victoria and Prince Albert visited Scone Palace.

Interesting that it was home to home to 2 different Dukes at one stage.

Prince Leopold, Duke of Albany
The 9th Duke of Newcastle.

Yes indeed, a grand history for what is (by the standard of these things) a relatively modest house.

Yes indeed, a grand history for what is (by the standard of these things) a relatively modest house.

And both now both of the Ducal titles are deprived/extinct.

And both now both of the Ducal titles are deprived/extinct.

Indeed, although I was intrigued to discover that the Duke of Newcastle's subsidiary title Earl of Lincoln was inherited by a tenth cousin in Australia!

Indeed, although I was intrigued to discover that the Duke of Newcastle's subsidiary title Earl of Lincoln was inherited by a tenth cousin in Australia!

And I thought I was the only one who spotted that ;)

And the current Earl of Lincoln is living in Australia and would have no need for an English manor house!

And the current Earl of Lincoln is living in Australia and would have no need for an English manor house!

I guess not although there are some lovely old mansions in Australia that would be suitable.:flowers:

Pity that the Dukedom is now extinct!

Pity that the Dukedom is now extinct!

It may well be that most hereditary peerages die out over time. The only exceptions being those (usually ancient English baronies or older Scottish titles) that can pass via the female line.

The only dukedom I know of that has passed through the female line is Marlborough & that was a very specific reason.

Last edited:
The stately interior of Blair Castle
Tea was locked up in the second Duke's day. There are embroidery panels.

Last edited:
A few years back Time Time did a special at the site of Nonsuch Palace in Surrey.

Back
Top Bottom